[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>without a single death Why do mangaka do this? I hate this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

File: sen2 060.jpg (279KB, 955x1400px) Image search: [Google]
sen2 060.jpg
279KB, 955x1400px
>without a single death
Why do mangaka do this? I hate this cliche more than anything else. It cheapens battles if, "Oh, but nobody actually died!" Do they think we care if a character kills a bunch of nameless silhouettes? It is just stupid, and I see it everywhere.
>>
>>133937177
Name every instance of this you can think of
>>
It's fine when it works thematically, like in the middle of E7, but most of the time when I see it, it just smacks of cowardice, like "I can't have my character kill people, so I'll just say they survived somehow" without good reasoning or showing how.
>>
>>133937177
Jesus look at his mouth, the "side mouth" is one of the worst trends mangaka could ever get into, looks so cheap.

>>133937406
I agree.
>>
>>133937309
One Punch Man does it when a meteor falls to earth
>>
>>133937177
Wasn't that because Tama was adamantly against killing anyone?

>>133937406
Mizukami is not worried about killing off major characters, much less minor, you can trust there was a thematic reason for this.
>>
>>133937737
Also no hero ever dies. I hate that shit, just because you add in some death doesn't make it gruesome or morbid, just gives it a touch of reality and believe-ability.
>>
>>133937177
Did you actually read the manga up till now or are you just venting out your feelings because you just happened upon that page?

Biscuit Hammer, Spirit Circle and Sengoku Youko showed that mangaka ain't afraid of no devil cool tricks.
>>
File: 16.jpg (158KB, 728x1047px) Image search: [Google]
16.jpg
158KB, 728x1047px
>>133937406
I dunno, he was fine with letting his MC nuke a few million people and become the universe's greatest necromancer in Spirit Circle
>>
>>133937309
When Vash the Stampede levels an entire city and they mention that 'miraculously' nobody died
>>
File: That's not even bait.jpg (22KB, 627x626px) Image search: [Google]
That's not even bait.jpg
22KB, 627x626px
>>133937177
1. It's a plotpoint that Jinka doesn't kill human
2. The story does feature death and is actually quite consistent with the consequences the main characters have to suffer through.

Eat shit OP. Don't complain for complaining sake.
>>
>>133937309
Are you kidding? This happens all the time. Off the top of my head, Vinland Saga. Thors breaks everyone's bones, BUT NOBODY DIES!
>>
>>133937923
I adore Fortuna, but it's hard to argue with Koko at this point that that soul needs to be eradicated.
>>
>>133938268
>It happens all the time!
>Only 3 examples
>>
File: 0035-014.jpg (455KB, 1114x1600px) Image search: [Google]
0035-014.jpg
455KB, 1114x1600px
>>133938485
>Destroying a soul because of crimes committed in a past life
That's like punishing someone for things their parents did
>>
>>133938517
What? It happens all the time. If you don't agree, you don't read manga and are just a troll.
>>
>>133938784
Sure thing buddy.
Great argumentation you've got going there.
>>
>>133938625
Judging from the last translated chapter though it feels like that'd be the only thing to actually get rid of him.
>>
>>133938898
I'm not arguing anything. And don't call me buddy, pal.
>>
File: 0027-014.jpg (273KB, 1114x1600px) Image search: [Google]
0027-014.jpg
273KB, 1114x1600px
>>133938908
Nonsense.
The real danger is not Fortuna, it's the spirit circle. As long as that thing is destroyed Fortuna can't do shit. If Koko hadn't awakened nothing would've happened.
>>
>>133939001
>I'm not arguing anything
Well great.
So there's zero value in your statement.
Good thing we could clarify this, comrade.
>>
>>133937814
One-Punch is a bad example, it never meant to be serious.
>>
Lafalle > Vann > Fortuna > Houtarou > Mr. Sphinx > Fuuko

This is objectively the correct ranking.
>>
It usually signifies the character is badass enough to do whatever the fuck they want without even having to kill people who will violently oppose them.
If you look at it deeper, it means they make more and more enemies over time and they are still free and doing whatever the fuck they want and no one else can stop them despite all the still very living enemies they have.
>>
>>133939257
If you look closer, it means the mangaka is worried that if the character kills people, you won't like him. They don't want their character to be evil, but they want to draw them killing a bunch of people.
>>
>>133939102
whether its serious or not doesn't change anything that i mentioned.
>>
>>133939081
OK.
>>
>>133939630
>Why do mangaka do this? It cheapens battles if, "Oh, but nobody actually died!"
The entire point of OPM is to "cheapen" the fight. Normally it's considered a cop-out unless there's a reason for it in the narrative, but in OPM it's used to compliment the comedic nature of the work.

So >>133939102 is right when he says that it's an "bad" example.
>>
>>133939614
Why would the character be evil because he kills people?
>>
>>133939811
That is what you should ask the mangaka. I want people who lose badly in a fight not to be "badly injured, but they'll make a full recovery!" but to die. Not because it is edgy, but because when you have twenty pages of blood and broken bones, it shouldn't all be undone with a "even though we had hundreds of wounded, nobody was seriously hurt!"
>>
>>133940682
>I want people who lose badly in a fight not to be "badly injured, but they'll make a full recovery!
This isn't about what you want anon.
>>
>>133937177
A lot of people die in battles in that manga, I'm not really sure why you think it's such an issue.
>>
>>133940876
I just posted an example. I suppose it was a bad one since... whatever reason.
>>
>>133940682
>Pikachu fainted and is unable to fight.
Yup, it's the same shit, I'd understand it in kids manga but it just feels retarded when you see that sort of stuff in a Seinen. Shit happens, people die, that's life don't try to hide it.
>>
>>133938268
>using Vinland Saga as an example
>not understanding why Thors did not want to kill anybody
>completely disregarding the fact that shortly after the fight Thors and most of his men were killed
Am I being rused? Is this bait?
>>
It's something that irritated me in FMA. People do die but MCs never kill anyone themselves. If their opponents died it would be someone else popping up later to slaughter them while MCs remain squeaky clean up to the end. I can think of 2 explanations: Japan loves the idea of pacifism despite their enjoyment of violence (it's some kind of cognitive dissonance that looks more obvious from an outside perspective) and because it's made with the children demographic in mind so it has to be parent-approved.
>>
File: f062.jpg (250KB, 728x1044px) Image search: [Google]
f062.jpg
250KB, 728x1044px
>>133937177
So the former protagonist is now the big bad with a new evil organisation (who actually want to save the future) after him while the former dragon (literal) is the new Dragon for the new organisation while the old super powerful emotionless kid Senya is the main character and not only in love but has also sired a descendant, simultaneously promoting two old side characters as main characters?

Checked
>>
>>133941945
>Japan loves the idea of pacifism despite their enjoyment of violence

Pretty much. In stuff aimed at teenagers, it seems like the main character has to either be morally perfect about never killing, or immediately go full edgelord, with nothing in between.
>>
>>133945307
Well, you can read Garaman, it's mc pretty good in first arc.
>>
>>133945307
Which is strange because Dragonball certainly didn't do thingsthat way and it was essentially the bar setter for stuff aimed at teenagers.
>>
>>133937737

Saitaman was actually aiming for that. It's not supposed to be coincidental.
>>
>>133941623
What are you talking about? It is completely fucking stupid to have a character kill everyone, BUT, OH WAIT NO, HE DIDN'T KILL ANYONE! ISN'T HE SO COOL?!
>>
>>133937177
>needing murder in your mango
edgy
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.