[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why /a/ doesn't talk about Lupin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 15

File: lupin-iii-serie-tv-2015-24.jpg (67KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
lupin-iii-serie-tv-2015-24.jpg
67KB, 640x360px
Is not popular here because its comedy? or because its bad
>>
I'm still mad that no real sub group picked this up.
>>
>>133931267
yeah thats the only bad thing
>>
Because I like the idea of lupin more than I like lupin itself. On the surface it looks stylish and exciting, like a less serious bebop, but once you get into the real meat of it it's kinda bland and often spends too much time on ancillary characters that nobody cares about.

The movies are exempt from this of course, because they have a proper budget and a focused 1.5 hour storyline (the woman called fujiko mine in particular is a goddamn masterpiece).
>>
>>133931551
can you expand on why you think its a masterpiece?
>>
>>133931047
I imagine some of the big reasons are that it's an old series and there's a shit load of it so it may seem hard to get into.
I know the sub situation is a big issue. It's fucking terrible really. I for one, haven't started this because there is basically just that Italian anon working on this.

>>133931551
Why mention The Woman Called Fujiko Mine when talking about movies?
>masterpiece
>>
>>133931551
>the woman called fujiko mine in particular is a goddamn masterpiece
The sad part is the post wasn't all bad till that part.
>>
There was a three post thread earlier. I asked why no one talks about new Lupin which I found out was released already. Almost no one cares to talk about it apparently.

>>133931551
>>133933369
>>133933713
The Woman Called Fujiko Mine may have been the most polarizing series I've seen. It started off amazing and had everything going for it and then unnecessary Zenigata flings, his psychopathic son and owls.
>>
So is James Bond a recurring antagonist in the new Lupin?
>>
>>133931551
>the woman called fujiko mine in particular is a goddamn masterpiece
Good bait until you got to this part, 6/10
>>
Because /a/ is only allowed to talk about fetish fuel, EVA, opm and dragonball
>>
>>133931551
>Because I like the idea of lupin more than I like lupin itself
same

I like the gentleman thief thing but for some reason the material just doesn't connect with me
>>
>>133935229
Finally an Anon who can think for himself and doesn't just go with the flow.
>>
>>133931551
Assuming you're also counting the television specials as films, they are the absolute worst about focusing far too much on ancillary characters nobody cares about and will never see again.

Speaking of TWCMF, Oscar was only marginally better than those characters and it tries a bit too hard to be a prequel to the original anime series an actual masterpiece.
>>
>>133935393
Personally, I thought that Oscar was one of the worst characters next to Fujiko herself and his thirst for the Zenidick got old very fast.

As for the show itself, I think it was a failed experiment and it should have been "the boys" doing their thing in that particular artstyle/tone because that would have been infinitely better than what we actually got
>>
>>133935293
I watch it more for the characters for the "gentleman thief" thing.

Hell, there's a lot of stories that aren't even about stealing anything.
>>
>>133935732
I think Fujiko's character could have panned out better had they kept the tone of the first episode and had Lupin be her rival throughout the series.

I agree about Oscar though. Personally, I also felt that because of his addition, Zenigata's characterization suffered as a result. Thankfully he's better in the new series.
>>
File: dark reality.png (32KB, 112x228px) Image search: [Google]
dark reality.png
32KB, 112x228px
- Non solid continuity
- Iconic characters that aren't allowed to be "dragged through the mud" because Lupin's a household name
- Unremarkable writing ^
- Comedy is not witty or bold enough ^^
- Recently tries hard to be cool/transgressive but isn't convincing, precisely because of the above.

It's the combination of all these that's the problem with the franchise. It's just too conservative and commercially oriented.

Point 1 is ok in actually funny, irreverent and comedy focused shows or comics, such as the og. Lupin III manga. Current Lupin is another story
>>
>>133931047
It's not talked about because it's pretty old and doesn't appeal to kids too much. It's got an appeal like those old pulp comics in newspapers a long time ago.
>>
>>133937026
>- Iconic characters that aren't allowed to be "dragged through the mud" because Lupin's a household name.

You really have to be a bit more specific about what you want with this.
>>
>>133937174
What I want?

What I mean is, think Mickey Mouse. Compare his portrayal in his early years to what he's become.

Lupin has gone through the same process of stagnation, commodification and conformity. The magic of the character is completely lost because of strict corporate control.

Fujiko tried to push the boundaries, but it failed and now Telecom is playing it safe again.
>>
>>133937550
>Fujiko tried to push the boundaries

By largely being boring as fuck?
>>
>>133938179
No, by playing the "darker and edgier" card, with Fujiko being portrayed as a total sociopath and the series having an overarching story.

The problem is there was no point to this new direction for the character nor the story, it was done for shock value basically.
>>
>>133931047
We used to have good lupin threads. I don't know whats happened recently but as for the new series there only shitty subs so far.
>>
Where the heck do I find subs?
>>
>>133937550
I don't know if the Mickey Mouse comparison is quite applicable here. Disney is a company where it's child friendly image is what is ingrained into the public consciousness.

Plus, what was acceptable back then isn't necessarily acceptable now. Personally, I'm just glad that Mickey and Lupin are out of their embarrassing 80s fashion phase.

>>133938551
If anything, it proves that "darker and edgier" does not necessarily make for a more interesting anime.
>>
>>133939011
To clarify, TMS and Telecom don't really have such a strong association with making only child friendly products.
>>
I find the old series are like saturday morning cartoons with alcohol and the occasional breast, especially the 2nd

It's not for everyone but undeniably a classic in it's own right
>>
>>133937550
>Lupin has gone through the same process of stagnation, commodification and conformity.
That only applies to the TV specials tho. Almost all of Lupin's movies are weird as fuck: Secret of Mamo, Green vs. Red, Jigen's Gravestone to a lesser degree, all movies that are unique takes on the series.

The only TV series that falls under your description is Pink Jacket and even then that's arguable
>>
>>133938774
There are only the Italian subs. But beware, the Italian intro is 4.5 seconds shorter than the Japanese one, so you have to shift the subtitles after the intro press "h" with VLC.

As for the current season, it's decent, funny and all, but for one the missing subs are a big point.
But also it's a bit anachronistic. Lupin was made in a different era. Times have changed. One can watch old Lupin and attribute it to it's time frame, but it's a bit off if it's from 2015.
>>
It's only because of the sub issue.

Fuck these philosophers.
>>
File: bestfriends.jpg (132KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
bestfriends.jpg
132KB, 1920x1080px
>>133939795
This.
>>
>>133939795
Well, you do have people here that don't remember the weekly Lupin threads while The Woman Called Mine Fujiko was airing.

No matter how much it pissed people off, it got subbed and people talked about it.
>>
File: chillin.png (60KB, 166x164px) Image search: [Google]
chillin.png
60KB, 166x164px
>>133940476
I personally don't understand the hate that the Fujiko series received. Then again, I don't understand why so many people shit on the pink jacket series either.

Sure, the stories are very typical, but the animation, especially the second half was really nice.
>>
>>133940662
Not muh Lupin!
>>
>>133940662
Mine's main storyline was the least interesting one and was meaningless because of the shitty twist. Triangle of Fire, Samurai Friendo and Tattooed Gal were fantastic episodes though
>>
>>133940662
It tried something different within the Lupin canon, and it pissed off some of the core fans who seem have a clear idea of what Lupin should be.

Also, while the artictic direction was indeed fantastic, the animation wasn't near good. Takeshi Koike took too much time checking the key frames so that they match his original designs, and it fucked up the production planning. The 2015 series is much better in that department.
>>
File: 11.jpg (1MB, 1412x1105px) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
1MB, 1412x1105px
>>133940772
There are so many different takes on the character, it's kind of hard to recommend the franchise to people in my opinion.

>>133941152
I was speaking of the animation in part three, pink jacket. The new series looks fantastic from what little I have seen. Just awaiting proper JP to EN subs. That, or it's about time I learn to Japanese.

>>133940874
I personally liked the twist. I don't want to see the Lupin gang as believable characters.
>>
File: caught in a landslide.png (413KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
caught in a landslide.png
413KB, 640x480px
>>133940662
I personally just found the Fujiko series a bit boring with too much focus on characters I didn't like. It's really a mystery to me that people liked Oscar and want him to return.

For the pink jacket series, I have to agree with you. There really isn't anything there that is outright bad save for maybe the color choices. It also kind of baffles me when people throw around claims that it wasn't doing so well in the ratings without giving a source.
>>
If anything, the series is possibly too lighthearted. I've only watch (some) of the old ones, but it just seems like anything goes with the characters and plot.
>>
File: P THIRTY EIGHT WALTHER.png (95KB, 497x387px) Image search: [Google]
P THIRTY EIGHT WALTHER.png
95KB, 497x387px
>>133941315
>I don't want to see the Lupin gang as believable characters.
Neither do I but dedicating so much time to give Fujiko some depth only for it not to matter in the end is just a waste of time especially when the segments for the rest of the main cast was so fucking rad.

But then again, Fujiko was always my least favorite Lupin character so I could be biased as all hell
>>
>>133941504
Well, green jacket started off with a much more hard boiled approach. It was toned down though.

>>133941478
I can dig that. No one should ever be a part of the cast minus the existing quintet. So no, Oscar shouldn't return. I didn't mind him too much, but the way they brought him back up at the finale was retarded. He should have just stayed dead.

>>133941682
>that file name
MACHINE CRIIIIIIES!
>>
>>133942007
Part 1's OST still confuses me in the best way possible
>>
For someone who only watched Cagliostro, what are some essentials movies, ovas and specials I should watch? I only have the first series downloaded, but I want to know what's actually worth watching, the only thing I remember reading was that the specials with case closed were good.
>>
>>133941682
I used to hate Fujiko but I've changed my mind since I started re-watching the red jacket series.

She's still a huge bitch but she's pretty fun. I fully admit that I'm a sucker for those moments where her relationship with Lupin is genuinely romantic as well.
>>
>>133942007
>Well, green jacket started off with a much more hard boiled approach. It was toned down though.

Even Green Jacket has stuff like the time bomb in the first episode just comically damaging some grunts (but then you've got a guy burned alive in the 2nd episode)...
>>
>>133942547
All of the movies are great though Green vs. Red is incredibly polarizing and you'll need to watch a good deal of the series to really get the most of it.

Only seen the Case Closed specials and while they're pretty good, they feel like Case Closed episodes featuring Lupin characters.

Your mileage may vary when it comes to the TV series but I think it's all solid with a couple of duds here and there. However, Pink Jacket is pure "love it or hate it," not bad but radically different than the previous parts.
>>
The one thing you need to know about Blue Jacket is that is was funded 100% under outsource funds from over 6 years of almost nothing but outsourced work because it's the only way to do anything with merit anymore.

Telecom only did PSO2 The Animation just to fund Blue Jacket's opening & ending.
>>
>>133943726
It was a necessary evil.
>>
By the way, here's the OST for Jigen's Gravestone.
https://mega.nz/#!wJdAwbIL!a5WvMyn1VndntdIFxgPZu2DBvDbQaRdTtAmbOzE4Kew
>>
>>133944190
Just be glad that they did 5 of their own projects before that, most of them DC DTV movies (Green Lantern First Flight, Justice League Doom & Superman Vs The Elite) but they also did 2 short films as well (Grandfather's Lamp & Buta).
>>
What is the problem with Lupin subs?
I saw the first ep and it was fine
>>
>>133944757
The subs are based off of the Italy's script, not Japan's. No one has picked it up either.

time 2lrn2nipponese
>>
>>133944757
The only problem is that they are translated from the Italian dub rather than from the Japanese version. It's not really that big of a deal since it's still at least some kind of effort to subtitle it.
>>
File: austincooper.png (407KB, 598x373px) Image search: [Google]
austincooper.png
407KB, 598x373px
>>133942547
Dude I got you, I just finished watching most the movies and specials.

The Fuma Conspiracy was my favorite but that's partly because they got Miyazaki on that shit and the car chases are remarkable. I'd also recommend watching the two Miyazaki red jacket episodes (on Nyaa) just to cash in on that high quality.

For specials, Tokyo Crisis and Seven Days of Rhapsody are my top two for being a good time all around and enjoyable incarnations of the gang. Episode Zero: First Contact is notable for having a more well thought out plot then most but suffers from lackluster animation (for Lupin standards).
>>
>why doesn't /a/ talk about a franchise that keeps being shat out for decades

Literally hipster Naruto.
>>
>>133947325
>but that's partly because they got Miyazaki on that shit and the car chases are remarkable

Nah, Miyazaki wasn't part of that one.

Kazuhide Tomonaga was animation director though.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.