[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

unironic 90s thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 17

File: slayers_wp.jpg (541KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
slayers_wp.jpg
541KB, 1280x960px
Are our favorite 90s anime actually any good? Or do they evoke a small spark of something we once felt, which we refuse to let go of? Is that what this feeling in my stomach is?

What have you been watching? I've been watching CCS, but I saw someone post some Slayers BD screenshots the other day and they made my dick diamonds. Really considering rewatching it all.

>we will never see the last 8 novels animated fully
>>
>>133916625
>we will never see the last 8 novels animated fully
As someone who got into Slayers during the 90's this fact makes me sad.
>>
>>133916903
>TRY comes out
>Some cool stuff, great Xellos scenes, terrible filler
>It's okay guys, Lost Universe sucked so next season will be great!

>decade later
>NEW SLAYERS GET HYPE
>REZO IS BACK......
>THERES A DIGIMON
>STILL NO SWORD OF LIGHT

Jesus christ. why didn't they DO anything for Revolution and Evolution-R? The latter was pretty cool, Xellos kicking everyone's ass was great and all but...why did they even bother?
>>
>>133916957
That's what I honestly wondered back then.
I know they started printing the original novels into a more child friendly format (all in furigana) but I seriously hope Kadokawa didnt push those two out just for recap sake
>>
In the new Slayers book "SLAYERS READING", Kanzaka explains:
In Kōma War, Lei Magnus was fighting against MAZOKU as human, but his lover was killed by human, and his Ruby Eye awoke by despair.
And in the same book Kanzaka says: Lord of Nightmares (Sea of Chaos) doesn't have a decided appearance or a decided personality. In postscript theater, She takes personality of Lei Magnus's lover.

All my uguus
>>
>>133917125
That's exactly why they did it.
Why even live in this world.
>>
>>133919024
It really bothered me how they picked side stories and characters from the earlier novels and got "creative" with them such as the furry centaur guy.
>>
File: ashtears.jpg (5KB, 256x197px) Image search: [Google]
ashtears.jpg
5KB, 256x197px
>mfw Megumi Hayashibara will never voice a heroine again
>>
File: Nagi.jpg (43KB, 500x406px) Image search: [Google]
Nagi.jpg
43KB, 500x406px
>>133916625

I've spent a lot of time watching older shows as of late (because I only watch a few new shows every season) and I can safely say, yes a lot of the 90's anime I watched as a kid were legit decent and had good characters. Slayers in particular is one of the better ones.

I mean, if you're comparing 90's stuff to the majority of what we get today then there's really no comparison. Otaku pandering was virtually non-existent, so there was a lot more variety in pretty much every possible way.
>>
>>133920790
Just useless side-character that get killed off or discarded after their respective episode
>>
File: Sae23.jpg (639KB, 1950x2850px) Image search: [Google]
Sae23.jpg
639KB, 1950x2850px
>Luke and Mileena will never be animated
Also dont mind me just posting my favourite 90s OVA that isn't Golden Boy
>>
Ok, i know it's late 80s but i wish new shows would have as good dynamic between characters as in Patlabor. And overreacting characters are way better that introvert ones (autistic in some cases)
>>
File: ma0107_stitch.png (1015KB, 716x1036px) Image search: [Google]
ma0107_stitch.png
1015KB, 716x1036px
>>133921893
mah nigga
>>
>>133922197
TV aired into the 90's and OVA2 ended in '92, plus movie 2 was '92 or '93. It counts as both.
And you're right, the dynamic between Noa and Asuma is one of the best out there. Even if you strip out the ever-increasing sexual tension you're left with a fantastically portrayed tight as fuck friendship.
>>
Would something like Slayers sell good if it was made today?
>>
>>133922436
probably not. It's popularity is tied with the boom of DnD and fantasy books
>>
>>133916625
Who is the woman with gold hair in the bottom right? The cast looks like Next, so it is not Fillia and I don't remember anyone else who looks like that.
>>
File: goto.gif (1MB, 287x400px) Image search: [Google]
goto.gif
1MB, 287x400px
>>133922307
Their relationship felt so damn natural. Any forced romance, any love at first sign. Just characters building up mutual understanding then slowly falling in love.
But not only interactions between those two was great. Each character have something likable. And pic related is just glorious motherfucker.
>>
File: leilon.jpg (29KB, 608x448px) Image search: [Google]
leilon.jpg
29KB, 608x448px
>>133922490
Bottom left you mean? That's Lord of Nightmares
You see her and Lei Magnus for a brief moment in one of the Slayers Try eye catchers.
>>
File: vlcsnap-error560.png (541KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-error560.png
541KB, 960x720px
>>133922663
>Any forced romance, any love at first sign
Well, TV did go with vaseline on the lens and less than subtle music when they first bump into each other.
Anyway, that's not the point. Like you said, it was a brilliant cast all round. And yes, Goto is a glorious son of a bitch.
>sign
It's sight. Love at first sight.
>>
File: 2.jpg (77KB, 788x443px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
77KB, 788x443px
>>133922987

I ended up liking TV series the most, because it gave a lot of screen-time to various characters.
Another thing it's only Mecha anime i watched where authors tried to add logic to giant robots. No transformations, no flying, software being as important as pilot skills. Minipato takes the cake in explain even budget issues and types of ammunition.
Sorry, it was typing mistake.
>>
File: 1417907453526.jpg (323KB, 487x721px) Image search: [Google]
1417907453526.jpg
323KB, 487x721px
>>133923297
I agree. Everybody had an arc and some time to shine, including some surprisingly complex personal development for Noa. It was also full of the moments that make Patlabor for me, both loud and quiet.
I don't know, I just can't think of any franchise as consistently excellent as Patlabor. Even WXIII, easily the weakest link, is above average as what it is. The issue comes from what it isn't. I have similar complaints about Patlabor 2 but it carries itself a lot better. Movie 1 is out-fucking-standing though, easily my favorite animated film eastern or western and well in my top 5 for cinema in general.
>>
>>133916625
What was so great about Slayers? I watched the first season and didn't find it as good as people were saying. Not about the animation, some part of it were really neat, but the story and characters felt not so great.
>>
File: 148381-show.php_super.jpg (44KB, 419x600px) Image search: [Google]
148381-show.php_super.jpg
44KB, 419x600px
>>133923381
Third movie still makes great detective story with lots of details put into it. Maybe it isn't what we used to love in Patlabor, but still manages to be good in it's own way.
>>
Man, this series has been bothering me for ages. I remember watching it a long time ago but I for the life of me cannot remember where I got up to.

The only thing I remember about Slayers aside from Gourry, Lina Inverse, Ra Tilt pacifist chick and that Chimera dude is that the Author likes to walk around his town in the wee hours of the morning and I don't know why that is the one thing I remember.
>>
>>133923422
First seasons is the weakest.

That said, after a rewatch. Slayers is not very good and it's similar case with most old anime.
>>
>the Author likes to walk around his town in the wee hours of the morning and I don't know why that is the one thing I remember.
What?
>>
Been watching Rurouni Kenshin, finding it pretty solid so far.

Also, are there people who watch 90s anime ironically? Is /a/ really that young?
>>
Just got my girlfriend to start watching Yu Yu Hakusho. I'm only 20, but it definitely holds up to when I was like 7 watching it on cartoon network
>>
>>133916625
>someone post some Slayers BD screenshots the other day

Slayers have Blu-ray release? Someone please post some screens, I'm very interested. Would love to re-watch it after years.
>>
>>133924500
Kenshin is great when it's doing source material but after mummy-man fight when fillers starts you can stop watching.
>>
>>133924821
The movies/OVAs got a Blu-ray release recently.
>>
90's was the last good decade for anime. when the century turned it all became shit
>>
>>133925491
So any chance for the new blu-ray releases to be licensed outside of japan?
>>
File: 2008-110.jpg (54KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
2008-110.jpg
54KB, 640x480px
Don't forget this cutie.

I'd like to add Pollyanna since I recently rewatched it, but it's from the 80s.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.