[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did anyone on /a/ ever participate in the tape trading fansub

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 257
Thread images: 38

File: 54_DBGT_Fansub_1.jpg (71KB, 1050x788px) Image search: [Google]
54_DBGT_Fansub_1.jpg
71KB, 1050x788px
Did anyone on /a/ ever participate in the tape trading fansub circles that existed before digital fansubs became readily available online? I read about it while ago and it still fascinates me how it worked and what people where willing to put up with to get there chinese cartoons subs back then.

The closest I ever came to experiencing it was buying DBZ movies from my local comic book store for 15 bucks prior to it ever airing on Toonami and being amazed by all the excessive cursing. Also, buying HK bootleg VHS's from a store in china town and having to suffer through horrible engrish because no one was subbing the show.
>>
>>133888723

This may sound stupid, but how exactly DO you add subs to analog tape?
>>
>>133888723
Sort of wish I did, even though it was leagues harder back then to get something.
>>
>>133888824
I think bootlegs and shit used amiga video toasters to put subs on. Honestly that's a really good question and i'd like to know more
>>
>>133888723

I waited months for an end of evangelion fansub VHS back in the day. If I remember correctly I think it turned out to be years ahead of the official release. You kids don't understand how long it was from EoE's release to its reaching American markets.
>>
I use to get toku (mostly raw), Gaogaigar and Japanese Transformers on tape at a convention.
>>
hmmmm... Venus V...
>>
Anyone remember Centosaur subs?
>>
What a blast from the past
>>
One of my old housemates was a fansubber. For our anime club (remember those?) he used to stream video right off the laserdisc, run it through the genlock and apply the subtitle script on-the-fly, the send it right out to the LCD projector (which cost me more than my car is worth back then).

The time and effort it took to obtain shows was a big motivation for anime clubs. And everybody could talk about the same shows because we all watched the same shows -- none of that "your taste is shit" when you're all watching the same stuff, because that's all you could get a hold of.
>>
File: Anime web turnpike.gif (4KB, 75x100px) Image search: [Google]
Anime web turnpike.gif
4KB, 75x100px
http://armitage.crinkle.net/karinkuru/howtosub/

Here's a nice How-To guide. You could apply the subtitles using either Amiga or PC, although the hardware required for a PC set-up cost about as much as the Amiga itself.
>>
>>133890074
>LCD projector
Those things were worth 3 livers back in the day.
>>
>>133888723
One of my friend's profs used to do VHS sailor moon subs.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (149KB, 1519x959px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
149KB, 1519x959px
What about those retarded AniMinis that ADV put out? Little mini DVDs around the size of a gamecube disk that only had a single episode of an anime.
>>
File: 069.jpg (245KB, 980x735px) Image search: [Google]
069.jpg
245KB, 980x735px
>>133888723
Yeah. I was born in the 70s and grew up in the 80s. During Highschool I traded copies of Robotech my brother and I got from television for anime. Like Venus Wars and Zillion.

There wasn't much available till I got to college. When the internet became a thing we would use discussion groups to get copies of shows like Sailor Moon, Wedding Peach, and Ranma 1/2.

When I graduated there were sites dedicated to buying, selling, and trading anime. That's where I got Chobits, Tiny Snowfairy Sugar, Kokoro Library, Kanon, and dozens more.

Then torrents. Now anime is on Hulu, Netflix, and Crunchyroll. It's pretty easy to get and ubiquitous.
>>
>>133890074
Did we become too spoiled, guys?
>>
>>133890659
>>133890622
Here, absolutely. This is why I can't understand your efforts to defend piracy so much.

I wrote a few posts the other day about the need to support official anime distribution to help Japan survive the digital revolution but without an archive it would be too difficult to recover.
>>
>>133890622
>Robotech
Dude, I haven't heard that name in ages. That show was awesome.
>>
Not exactly the pirate tape age, but I remember watching Subtitled DBZ in Realplayer, the rmvb format was so fucking shit. Not to mention the subbers were genuinely autistic and kept throwing in swear words to make thing sound more "badass".
>>
>>133890728
Desustorage.org
>>
>>133890798
Ahh, about time.

Here you go
http://desustorage.org/a/thread/133703801/#133712722
>>
>>133890659
Only if you feel entitled to the subs.

>>133890728
I can kind of understand it in terms of retaining that sense of NEED for the community, where, once upon a time, it was the community itself who put the effort to make it available for non-japanese speakers. This type of exchange gives the community purpose beyond discussion, something that solidifies the bond of the community, because it assured that, in order to get into the medium, in order to get into the club, you had to be "in it."

Of course, now we have all these options that the industry itself has put forth in order to actually cash in on the medium outside of japan (even if just a little). So we not only have little need for the community to put the effort in distribution, but it has also opened the door for outsides who haven't jumped through the hoops, who haven't watched or read the essentials, who aren't "in the club" but are able to affect the industry without the knowledge and experience that was required to join in.

In that sense, I can understand favoring torrents, especially the fan-subbed ones.
>>
>>133890622
What was the video quality of these tapes? I've read accounts where early circles had the need to dub over the tapes with each subsequent person who got it (can't remember what the exact reason was) and by the time the third or forth individual who got the tape got something with very poor video quality.

And how the hell would anyone be able to enter into a circle? Was it something advertised on college campuses alone and the trading was done via mail order?
>>
>>133891566
Lots of colors bleeding. Loss of sound. Wavy lines through whole tapes sometimes. You took what you could get.

One of the Gundam tapes my friend got for Gundam 0083 was largely unwatchable. We watched it anyway.

Terrible show. Waste of time.
>>
>>133891199
I think there's still somewhat of a need for it since you've still got a lot of shows that have fallen through the cracks due to age and various other reasons.

I mean, the new Lupin series didn't get picked up so everybody's relying on fansubs based on the Italian dialogue to watch it.
>>
>>133888723
Every time I see one of these, I feel like I missed out. But then comes the thought of shipping fees and location, and the fact that you can't just expect to find them at a rental store, and I feel more content with what I have. I guess it's appropriate for Thanksgiving.
>>
>>133892335
A shame since 0083 had only one pro, which was its animation.
>>
I live in finland so that was kind of an impossibility.
My friend got some chinese DBZ tapes from Estonia which was a fun watch
>>
>>133888723
Kazaa changed everything. I myself been file sharing for 10 years now.

Pirates have become so good at encoding and broadband is so fast and reliable that you never have to buy a anime DVD/Bluray ever again.
>>
>>133888723
Nahh I was too young back then to have figured it out, I was just happy anime was becoming more mainstream, I remember being 11 and there was enough VHS tapes to fill in 2 rows at local Video Ezy.
In high school i did organise my group to download and share everything since 56k modems suck ass, and the hunger was real.
>>
>>133890728
Australia has been trying to step up their distribution scene, it's hard as fuck though since they are selling BlueRays at a ridiculous price, at least you now get half a season instead of 3-4 episodes when they first started.
It's an international business where all sides don't want to feel ripped off and how do you balance making a profit / revenue so you stay afloat the next year?
I feel like distributors should seek out fan subbers for a share of rights, but that scene has practically died now, and turning fans into a business is a surefire way to kill groups if they made that choice.
>>
File: interested.gif (680KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
interested.gif
680KB, 480x270px
I am bumping this thread because it's super interesting. By the time I got into piracy in general we already had Limewire. It's pretty impressive that people managed to network with each other and distributed fansubbed anime before they could rely on the internet.
>>
I used to buy bootlegs for $5 per tape from Aoshi's Anime Realm. You sent this guy a money order and a list of what you wanted and he's send you the tapes. Guy had a good operation going, video was decent quality, the tapes were purple and had custom made labels. Guy did VCDs too later on. Watched Tenshi no Shippo, DiGi Charat, Chobits, Azumanga Daioh, couple other things that way.
>>
File: elhazard.jpg (113KB, 560x768px) Image search: [Google]
elhazard.jpg
113KB, 560x768px
>>133888723

Yeah, at the time I buddied up with a weeb highschool teacher who had subbed bootleg videotapes of Dominion Tank Police and 3x3 Eyes and stuff.

Of course, this was when broadband internet was just getting started. I was downloading Realplayer Trigun and El Hazard episodes for a while until my family switched to cable.
>>
>>133888824
>>133889071
You use a device called a Genlock.

A genlock does two things:

Firstly it copies two inputs to one output, showing the top input except when the top input is showing the "transparent colour", in which case it shows the bottom input. This switching happens in the low-microseconds/high-megahertz range, so it can blank/not-blank individual pixels of SD video.

Secondly it strips out a sync signal from the bottom input, which the top input can use to synchronise itself with the bottom input so everything appears in the right place of the right frame.

Note that there's no actual framebuffering or compositing: everything happens in realtime. There's also no blending: the genlock picks either one source or the other. A consequence of there being no framebuffering is that your top-source takes full responsibility for getting the sync right: the genlock can tell it what to do, but the source needs to actually do it.

Finally all copies are analogue: the closest thing you'll get to buffering is that the genlock might lock onto the incoming sync and replace it with a new sync signal that says the same thing but clearer.
>>
>>133888723
Oh yes, the "good ol' days", when getting product required being clever enough to commit to smuggling shit over borders and doing everything by snailmail and barter. Back then, we earned our anime, and nothing was mainstream.
>>
This thread brings back so many memories of being an underage weeb in the early 2000s. Had no money, had to scrape up anime wherever I could, pass around vhs tapes and the occasional DVD, almost all pirated bootlegs, everything was brand new and interesting and it was okay on forums to say random Japanese words and seeing tits in a cartoon blew my hormonal weeb mind. Man those were the days, now I'm a jaded oldfag.
>>
File: gekigangerjoe.jpg (5KB, 168x167px) Image search: [Google]
gekigangerjoe.jpg
5KB, 168x167px
>>133888824
The clubs used Amigas (or other genlocks, if they had access to pro stuff) to add subs to analog, but I started trying it out at home when the ATI All-In-Wonder video cards were released. What used to cost thousands was suddenly within reach for most.

Worst tape-trading moment: When UPS delivered my master tapes of Nadesico from Central Anime. Package was left on my door, but it was almost completely flattened and the tire tracks were still on it. Little note said I could file a claim if I wished. File a claim on my illegal bootleg cartoons.
>MFW
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>133888723
There is a local retro game/appliance repair store near me where they have some guys entire VHS collection. Apparently the guy who recorded it all got married and she wanted it gone, not wanting to throw it away he donated it to the store. You can borrow them all for free.
>>
>>133897498
>Apparently the guy who recorded it all got married and she wanted it gone,

The curse of 3d strikes again.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>133897498
>>
>>133897290
Yeah, if you want a subtitled VHS nowadays, all you have to do is have your digital workflow emit a composite-video signal and record said.

Interestingly enough, the VCR records exactly what you emit, so if you emit an NTSC composite signal, and record it on a PAL VCR, you get a perfectly-working NTSC tape. And vice-versa.
>>
>>133897498
>>133897558
I'm pretty sure some of that doesn't exist in any digital form.
>>
>>133897664
That's not even the whole collection

I should take a day and catalog it sometime.
>>
>>133897700
If you do, AniDB will make the process a bit easier, and make it easy to see which stuff never got digitised.
>>
>>133897558
>>133897498
That's pretty amazing. Also; fuck 3D bitches
>>
File: 1397164636410.jpg (144KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1397164636410.jpg
144KB, 1280x720px
>the people who remember this will eventually die
>no one will remember how people used to watch anime
>>
>>133897498
>>133897558
>Maxell HGX Gold mostly recorded in SP
I like this guy.
>>
>tfw i lost my VHS copy of laputa and pokemon series and movies and some mashrumbo episodes when our previous house got burned
>>
I never bought VHS fansubs back then (money was short and I never trusted buying from strangers), but I remember borrowing from friends and acquainted things like a Dragon Ball special, Darkstalkers and the Rayearth OVA.
>>
Can someone who owns old tape fansubs upload them
This is important culture
>>
>>133897498

He married the wrong woman desu senpai. Likely some judgmental cunt who only does things to impress her bitch friends. Marriage is nothing but social capital to these gutter slime women.
>>
I would've never gotten into anime if obtaining it was that hard. I live in the middle of nowhere anyways, so the chances of obtaining something would be even lower than it already was.

But since I get gigabit connectivity here, I can enjoy things via the Internet just fine.
>>
>>133888723
https://web.archive.org/web/20010411012431/http://www.dragonballztapes.com/index.htm
>>
>>133897498
I've always wanted to see My Nieghbor Totora.
>>
>>133888723
Had a friend on my street back in elementary school that hard subbed the subtitles to VHS tapes. There's a production device to do it and all. We used to pass the tapes along a string of people in the neighborhood. Dragonball only until we got legit subbed Slayers tapes(bootleg).
>>
Jesus I'm glad I found a girl who loves 2d and 3d girls as much as I do. It great when you can buy each other figures and ecchi arbooks for Christmas. Out joint collection of weeb shit fills every wall floor to ceiling in our office.
>>
>>133898155
anon I have bad news for you

everything dies and is forgotten eventually[/spoilers]
>>
>>133888723
I used to rent bootleg anime video tapes of the local bootleg video rent shop like everyone else in my parts of the world at the time.

I watched so much fucked up 80s anime shit I honestly am not surprised how I turned up. It's not like my parents ever stopped me though, heck they were watching this shit with me half the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCfDxZxTBW4
Gotta love the 90s.
>>
>>133897558
How the fuck do those tapes float in midair?
>>
File: 1443131026665.png (51KB, 200x221px) Image search: [Google]
1443131026665.png
51KB, 200x221px
>>133897498
>got married and she wanted it gone

Of course that would happen. Typical.
>>
>>133898772
Are you seriously this dumb?
>>
>>133897498
Man, it looks like he put so much effort into the labels and everything.

It must have hurt him a lot to give it away.
No sympathy though, the stupid spineless prick.
>>
>>133898772
Try rotating the image 180°.
>>
>>133898772
They're from a time when magic was more widespread, far before your time.
>>
>>133897993
>>133897700
Please do this anon. You'd be doing the world a great service.
>>
>>133888723
I rented 1 eva vhs each weekend.
>>
>>133898340
Just in the last couple of months I've started digitizing some of my favorite VHS because I know that at some point they're going to fall apart.

I realize this is completely stupid and just invites ridicule, but sometimes I like to watch it the way I first saw it so long ago: 4th-generation TV-rip, commercials, bad subbing, and all. Pic related.
>>
File: 1383114754814.jpg (153KB, 683x883px) Image search: [Google]
1383114754814.jpg
153KB, 683x883px
>>133897498
>Japanese tv shows 1989

I'd love to see what was on there
>>
File: this is going to be your wife.jpg (223KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
this is going to be your wife.jpg
223KB, 1920x1080px
>>133897498
>>133897558
>she wanted it gone
America - that wonderful place where women tell their husbands what to with their property.
>>
>>133898986
use horriblesubs, you get the same shitty experience.
>>
>>133899031
I've been watching anime since the early nineties and I make it a point to only watch CR rips.

It's just not the same.

I use fake CRT filters when I emulate old games on my monitor.

It's not the same.

Good old shitty CRT TVs man. Someday they'll come back in fashion after this craze for hi fidelity dies out.
>>
Not even close to the same thing but when I was younger there was this place called Video Barn that had an entire wall of anime and hentai. I remember getting a few Ranma VHS from there, plus DVDs of more recent stuff like FMP and Steel Angel Kurumi.
>>
>>133899111
my crt monitor left me, and I don´t know where the fuck to get a new one. where the fuck are the crt screens? I´m using an old lcd screen of my brother.
I have to punch it every 20 minutes so it keeps working.
>>
>>133888723
I did. Though i am from latín América. Fansubs existed for a long asa time in here, i used to copy pirated VHS tapes of dbz without subs and sell them for a few bucks to a comic store. Also pirated the shit out of spaniards dubs.
>>
>>133888723
Threw away mine, as well as most of my legit store-bought VHS tapes. I remember people would give away entire boxes of them for $20 at cons. They're just bulky novelties now.
>>
>>133898986
That's neat. Please upload!
And you should get a media player that requires you to "rewind" before you can rewatch it.

Someone should start a "classic anime experience movement". Create a market for it, and slowly release old anime subs. If you could get Reddit and MAL in on it it could actually become a thing. Perhaps require a website where you order what you want to download, and two months after you register you get a download code on mail.
>>
>>133897498
>Apparently the guy who recorded it all got married and she wanted it gone
If you are ever going to marry 3D then don't marry one who will shit all over you
>>
Nope. But was there for the CD trades.
>>
>>133897498
That is a GIANT collection of VHS. What a bitch. Dude should've slammed the door on her and left her out in the cold.
>>
File: 1417888364512.png (315KB, 530x580px) Image search: [Google]
1417888364512.png
315KB, 530x580px
>>133899031
I like you, you funny guy
>>
>>133898572
>you order what you want to download, and two months after you register you get a download code on mail.
>>
>>133896136
>By the time I got into piracy in general we already had Limewire.
Oh my god Limewire. I used to get all my shit off of that. I remember making CD's for classmates back in high school and selling them like I was the fucking black market.
>>
>>133898986
That's cute, anon.
>>
>>133897498
>>133897558
That's fucking awesome.
>>
File: streamload_logo.gif (4KB, 290x66px) Image search: [Google]
streamload_logo.gif
4KB, 290x66px
>>133896136
I remember watching Azumanga Daioh and Haibane Renmei off of Napster. WinMX. Probably both.

Also I'm not sure if anyone remembers this old service popular with anime fans.
>>
>>133899507
The majority of people browsing 4chan these days will have to google to find out what Limewire even is. How does that make you feel?
>>
>>133899626
They'd have to google deeper to find out about Frostwire.
>>
>>133899507
black market bros where we at
got so much money selling bootleg shit back in the day i'm pretty sure my name is in some watchlist.
>>
>>133899626
Old. And I'm not even THAT old.

Holy shit, all the porn gathered between Limewire and eMule.
>>
>>133899660
Didn't that come after?
>>
File: 8716c560-s.png (304KB, 500x386px) Image search: [Google]
8716c560-s.png
304KB, 500x386px
>>133899507
>hot_anime_hentai_xxx.avi.exe
>>
>>133899696
Yeah, but it didn't last nearly as long because Limewire was already losing popularity, plus they started putting ads on it so people jumped ship.
>>133899693
I also remember charging extra for people who made me download shitty music.
>>
>>133899507
>>133899693
>/a/ is the new /biz
>>
>>133899704
I was one of those faggots
>>
>>133898772
>Triggered
>>
>>133899747
u wot
frost wire was 2005-present
limewire was 2000-2010

kazaa 2001-2006
>>
>>133899909
>kazaa
Holy shit i remember that
>>
>>133899626
Feels good, Limewire was fucking retarded, despite it being an easy way I still used forums for that shit.
>>
>>133898986
There's no ridicule to be had there, I like to watch anime on old VHS tapes for what you described. It reminds me of the time when anime was this strange fluid animation style with blood, tits and giant robots. Completely unapologetic and raw compared to what was shown on TV at the time.

I buy anime VHS tapes when I can, recent finds I've found are the Patlabor films, the GITS movie, Akira, Appleseed and Battle Angel Alita. They all have this cheesy intro to them, along with other ads, and I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCfDxZxTBW4
>>
File: 1436310601088.jpg (69KB, 550x710px) Image search: [Google]
1436310601088.jpg
69KB, 550x710px
>>133899909
You mean Frostwire is still around? Fucking why?

Kazaa...I hardly knew ye.
>>
>>133899909
What about bearshare? I remember getting all my music and porn through that even downloaded EoE through it.
>>
>>133899626

Winmix or whatetvr it was named and Kazza was pretty good..still Limewire was more refined

Still........it was flooded with CP
>>
>>133900035
hey jebus, its true you are a two face cunt?
>>
Anyone remember ares?
that one was legit as fuck
>>
>>133900060
>it was flooded with CP
Why do you think it lasted so long?
>>133900067
Who isn't these days?
>>
>>133900106
I do, but I only used it for a couple of years. It was one of the last sources I used before going to torrents.
>>
>>133900111

werent there some people that tried to revive Limewire at some point?
>>
>>133892540
This, there's a SHITTON of stuff from the 70s, 80s, and even 90s that still isn't subbed. And a bunch of stuff that was only dug up and subbed fairly recently.

Not all of it is necessarily any good of course, but who knows, there's definitely some shit I'm interested in that I've been learning moon for since I figure that'll be faster than waiting for subs.
>>
>>133899020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX2dzFrDCy0
>>
>>133890728
You are an ignorant one, go educate yourself.
>but muhh film degree
>>
>>133900181
I remember it was flooded with ads and shit during it's last years and it would hardly pull up any results you wanted no matter what you searched.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (54KB, 1023x728px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
54KB, 1023x728px
>>133900212
Nice
>>
Any of tried to download anime using Soulseek? I remember getting 3x3 Eyes that looked like a VHS rip. I found some toku videos too. Recently I found a user with incredible fast connection and downloaded a early 80's Golgo 13 movie.
>>
File: 2.png (231KB, 524x460px) Image search: [Google]
2.png
231KB, 524x460px
>>133897498
>he got married
>>
>>133899198
Mostly at the junk heaps nowadays.
Even the latest off the production line CRTs are around 10 years old at this point and rare as hell pretty much everywhere but Japan and China.
>>
File: banana.jpg (51KB, 1024x720px) Image search: [Google]
banana.jpg
51KB, 1024x720px
>>133900318
The second one is better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyQPikAZ1Jw
>>
>>133899198
Pretty much what this anon said>>133900522

I see a ton of them for cheap at my local goodwill you could try places like that.
>>
>>133899909
>spending 20-30 minutes downloading Napster MP3s over dialup
>>
>>133899372
You are the reason why we can't have good things.
>>
>>133900015
The cheesy metal and KFDM made everything in the old Manga video trailers look fucking awesome, even if most of them turned out to be shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdmhFhxJIXQ
>>
>>133900106
>mfw I know people who use ares
>>
File: 166845519.jpg (91KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
166845519.jpg
91KB, 1280x720px
>>133900940
And of course I forgot my face.
>>
>>133897993
>>133898895
Once I get my bike running again I'll make a trip out there. It's been a few months so hopefully the store still is there/still has the tapes.
>>
>>133900940
>first own pc
>get ares for music because everyone else in my group of friends downloaded music with it
>find porn
>downloading teen porn with ares
>a vajillion viruses with them
i fapped like 20 times to the video of a 12-13 yo couple, also had some video of a extremely cute 15yo masturbating
>>
>>133901055
>12-13 yo couple
>15 yo masturbating
I would kill to find this now.
>>
>>133897498
remarkable
>>
>>133901213
Fuck I never had the luck to find that shit when I used ares back in 2006, actually it's the very reason I hate old hags now and switched to 2D.

>>133901316
Hebephiles have it hard.
>>
>>133901213
i used to select the video only filter and write the age
searched 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
most videos didn't even play, of those that did 70% were fakes with ads, 25 lasted less than 15 seconds, you made me remember a trauma, the only video found under 11 was some brown apparently brazillian loli laying motionless and being penetrated by a fat white neckbeard
>>
>>133901055
im glad i dont remember any of the names of the files on kazaa
>>
>>133901412
tell me stories about that anon
>>
>>133897498
>>133897558
that is one hell of an impressive collection, even for one shop, little less one guy.

I have a few old tapes like these that I bought at a used shit shop long after the age of necessity but they've been misplaced in boxes somewhere I think

>>133899198
check used sites like kijiji, you can usually find ads for them for under 20 dollars or simply free
of course they all use vga cables and not all videocards have vga ports anymore, but there are adapters, just don't use a dodgy cord, have had issues where it'd essentially crash the entire computer from a vga to dvi to hdmi swap from a cable getting jiggled.
>>
>>133901055

Sometimes i miss those wacky early days of the internet

Finding those weird sites advertising pot and MACHINEGUNZ for only 299 pick up at train station locker

also all those site with weird codes and spook sites

all the sewer of the internet is long gone

>>133901213

But you can either get one of those IP Adress logs from a Tor site or go directly to a TOR link with it
>>
>>133901369
Did Ares take that option out? It seems like it's just your normal utorrent program now.
>>
>>133897498
>>133897555
If anyone wants to help catalog or just borrow the tapes, the store is in Goleta, California.
>>
I don't want to download ares, I don't use antivirus. Fuck me.
>>
>>133901691
The viruses are required for the 100% authentic experience anyway
>>
>>133901213
>never consider myself a pedo
>that sudden realisation that I would die for this

FUCK
>>
>>133901600
most likely, i don't know though, haven't used it in ages, now i just use some old version of bittorrent that works wonders for me
it was a file type filter, it was kinda funny how unstable and weird Ares was though, the search took ages to finalize, and sometimes if you restarted the search right after it ended for some unknown reason it would find a bunch more files and then stop finding them if you restarted the seach a third time.

>>133901691
it's porbably mostly dead by now, and i believe you won't find anything particularly dark anymore
>>
>>133901762
it was some clumsy slow lovemaking on a couch
>>
>>133901999
And of course you don't have it anymore, what a tragedy.
>>
>>133901999

>Not screaming rape in the trunk of a car with some white barn girl and a bear of a man

i am still traumatized
>>
Storing all of your anime on VHS tapes.
Good or bad?
>>
File: Gets!.jpg (119KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Gets!.jpg
119KB, 1280x720px
>>133901999
check em

>>133902046
i have changed my PC like 3 or 4 times since then, and back then i didn't though about backing up stuff or that i may not be able to get them again
truly a pity, if i could travel back in time i would scold myself and leave a couple 3TB hard drives with old me
>>
>>133902100
Really bad. VHS tapes degrade fast.
>>
>>133889143
You Americans have no idea how long we had to wait for anime in Australia.
>>
>>133902100

Beta tapes is where its at man

no more of this porn industry tape shit
>>
>>133902100
Bad, the tape will turn to black goo before the century's out.

Backing up to data tape isn't so bad, though
>>
>>133890988
>that tertiary retard calling people secondaries
How many decades is it going to take for people to understand this simple concept: if you are consuming media outside of it's original language, you are a tertiary by default.
>>
>>133897498
Women are terrible humans and men who get married are complete fools.

Nice collection though. If I lived less than 20+ hours away via plane I'd definitely help backing those up to a digital archive. It would be an awesome experience.
>>
>>133900015
>Battle Angel Alita
I've not been able to find the Manga Video dub anywhere on the hoverweb.

It's definitely worth checking out.

The highlight is when they couldn't afford a black man to voice a black man, so they asked one of their voice actors to 'try to sound black'.
>>
>>133900015
>Blowing your mind into the 21st Century
erm...
>>
>>133900212
That was cool. Thanks, Anon.
>>
>>133899626
My fellow Americans, I would like to say I did not have sexual relations with that women. I did, However, go to SHITSHITE.com, where they offer hundreds of free products
>>
>>133899626
Fuck Limewire; once I was trying to download some skateboarding video and it ended up being a vid of some girl ejaculating a horse.
>>
>>133888824
Video Toaster
>>
>>133898772
If they were Betamax they would not only levitate but function as their own self sustaining power source.
>>
>>133900940
My bro fixes PCs for normies, almost monthly theres one retard that gets cyber aids for using ares.
I guess they still use it for music or cp...
>>
>>133905508
>vid of some girl ejaculating a horse.
go on....
>>
>>133905711
When I was in elementary school my school decided to buy all betamax vcr's. By the time I went to middle school they were all replaced with VHS
>>
>>133897498
That's some neat hand writing
>>
>>133906203
>>133897558
>Ushio and Tora tapes
>Text drawn to resemble Tora's markings

You can just see the enthusiasm of someone's youth right there.

Shame the wife made him discard it.
>>
File: IMG956807Why.jpg (28KB, 292x302px) Image search: [Google]
IMG956807Why.jpg
28KB, 292x302px
>>133897498
>and she wanted it gone
>>
>>133890659
Yes. Very people are entitled these days. I don't like using the word, but this is an appropriate term for the context.

I can't blame the new people, but for the oldies who's been in the business for long time, we got spoiled.
>>
File: 1427940845359.gif (1MB, 394x297px) Image search: [Google]
1427940845359.gif
1MB, 394x297px
>>133897498
>>133897558

Amazing
>>
I bought and rented them from a comic shop. This was against the fansub "ethics code" but it was better than sending money to some random nigger and waiting six months for a tape to come back, and dealing with customs and shit exchange rates.
>>
>>133897498
>>133897558
What are the chances that he now has them inside his 100 TB HDD collection? Throwing these away seems a waste if he didn't do back up.
>>
>>133907437
If his wife made him get rid of the collection, she probably also stopped him from watching anime ever again
>>
>>133897498
>>133897558
>Maxell HGX gold

Guy was a richfag, probably recorded them in SP mode too. I had to settle with the cheap Korean and Taiwanese tapes from Canadian Tire and Zellers.
>>
I started by downloading at a blazing speed of 13kb/s download from the first DSL service available in my country.

I remember downloading Cowboy_Bebop_-_01.rm.

It was about 50mb at 240p resolution. Not even sure if it was on stereo.

There were no torrents and XDCC bots are mostly for distros and staffers. You had to queue to fservers which could take up to 36 hours before your download starts. Oh, got disconnected during your 10h transfer? Sorry, you're back to queue #12.

Trading whole series over FTPs were a thing. You have to find people to trade with. I remember I had some apparently rare hentai worth 1 whole series per episode.
>>
I didn't because I was only born in 90 but my psuedo sister (cousin that lived with us) used to get video cassettes from a local comic etc shop and we'd watch them together. Nothing really special, princess mononoke and lupin are the only ones I remember watching but I know there were more.
>>
>>133897603
I though the internal circuitry in the VCR had to be different for each color encoding type?

I have a bunch of old SECAM VHS tapes from Greece, does that mean there is a way to get a usable signal out of them on an NTSC deck?
>>
>>133907508
>The defection of a kek.
>>
File: ashita no joe.png (3MB, 1485x1059px) Image search: [Google]
ashita no joe.png
3MB, 1485x1059px
>>133897498
>>133897558

This makes me smile. Someone must archive these in digital form, for history.
>>
File: IMG_20130329_075451.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20130329_075451.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>
This is a good thread.
>>
>>133893542
This, that sucks to hear. 0083 had AMAZING cockpit porn and suit design.
>>
>>133900249
The difference is I see from the perspective of the creators which you don't.

The Japanese are skittish and technologically backwards. Many shows have been dropped over the years which never saw a release in the west nor fansubs. A lot of that happened precisely because the Japanese are extremely wary of new technology and the international market.

For examples:
Chocotto Sister
Saint October
Dinosaur Planet
Fushigiboshi no Futagohime
Fushigi Mahou Fan Fan Pharmacy

And those are just off the top of my head. There are dozens to hundreds of shows which will never see the light of day and YOU make it worse.

So how about you go educate yourself, ace?
>>
>>133897498
>what's michael?
that cat have an anime? wow I didn't knew it
>>
>>133898986
It's not stupid.
>>
File: Holy fucking shit.jpg (91KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Holy fucking shit.jpg
91KB, 1024x768px
>>133909077
>Technologically backwards
That implies that they were ever looking forwards.
>>
>>133908813
>implying you didn't buy those from ebay a month ago
kek
>>
>>133888723
Probably oldfags. Literal oldfags. The people here that are 30-40 years old by now.
>>
>>133899372
crazy mother fucker!
>>
>>133910341
>Windows 8
>Disk 1 of 3711

The Japanese sure go to great lengths to suffer.
>>
>>133910796
It's fake. Not far from the truth though. The fact that so many doujins are lost to time because the authors are too stubborn to digitalize them is awful. When the last Nechronica book was released it immediately sold out, leaving chumps like myself out of luck. Old anime, where the rights are uncertain, probably are hit pretty hard.
>>
>>133901019
That'd be awesome. I think it might've been earlier this year but some anons hunted down a set of DVDs that had outrageously obscure classic anime on them and were only available in a University library or some shit.
>>
On a related note, how many of you traded manga scanlations? I used to Xerox stuff and make those fanzine things with the little cheap black ringlets on the spine, shit was great. You could cram artbook scans, scanlations, interviews, reviews, etc. I mostly kept them for my friends, but I sent out a few to some forum members whom I spoke to often.

I feel like the scanlation community isn't as tight as it used to be, but that might also be because it's much larger nowadays (especially with the increasing proliferation of ebooks -- I hope JP publishers really focus on improving the quality of those, some look downright terrible). Hanging out in IRC channels, you can see staff members that are working in 10 different groups and contributing.

I wonder how scanlations will look a decade from now.
>>
>>133908813
Is anyone able to figure out what's on the other side of this paper? I'm curious.
>>
>>133899626
>>133899507
I still remember the first time I was rickrolled from trying to download porn off of Limewire. I had no idea what that was at the time, though.
>>
>>133910954
you are retarded, stop posting
>>
>>133911411
But it's true. Windows 8.1 never had a floppy disc release. You can tell that the photo is fake too, as the the "1" in the 8.1 is written in Arial instead of the correct font. The nips do still use fax machines however.
>>
File: 56789434390365.png (769KB, 599x799px) Image search: [Google]
56789434390365.png
769KB, 599x799px
>>133911529
>No 8.1 floppy release
Next you'll be telling us that Japan didn't release it on cassette for the PC-6001 either.
>>
File: file.png (105KB, 1011x112px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
105KB, 1011x112px
>>133911147
The bottom is a date. Wednesday March 2013 I think.
>>
>>133911634
It says "Information Session" above. Nothing really of note, so please return to VHS Horror Story Theatre.
>>
>>133911601
anon please, that joke stopped being funny ages ago. Stop pushing it already.
>>
File: Eva Unit 01 scream.png (118KB, 295x239px) Image search: [Google]
Eva Unit 01 scream.png
118KB, 295x239px
When I was a kid I had an older neighbor down the road who was into it. I don't know how he got them because we lived in bumfuck nowhere NoCal, but I distinctly remember watching episodes Eva, Slayers, Ranma, and FoTNS out of order with him in the late 90's. I can't remember all of it (Utena and Berserk seem eerily familiar), but I'm pretty sure that there was more and a handful of movies too, one of which was Angel's Egg.

Combined with my 90's-weeb babysitter, I was doomed from the start.

Pic related was the first episode of Eva I saw.
>>
File: 1408495933977.jpg (66KB, 500x557px) Image search: [Google]
1408495933977.jpg
66KB, 500x557px
>>
File: $_57.jpg (373KB, 1600x1195px) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
373KB, 1600x1195px
The Berserk VHS tapes sure did have nice covers.
>>
>>133888723
No, but I remember watching anime late nights on some obscure asian channel we got. I think it was called a colors tv. Really got me into some good stuff like Baki, kiddy grade, and Kodocha.
>>
>>133912090
That is so 90s I think I just voted for Bob Dole again.
>>
>>133909077
So me not buying a CR account makes japan burn their 80s masters? Don't kid yourself, see what happened with DBZ kai thanks to the beautiful and golden hearted company that is FUNimation.
>>
>>133912219
Who?
>>
>>133911039
I fucking know people who print your typical niggerstream "scans" and sell it as imported from Nihon.
>>
>>133896697
so does that work like mkvs? in the sense that the bottom input will be the subtitles that are kind of pasted on to the top input?
>>
>>133901626
I know there must be anons going to UCSB. This is like walking distance.
>>
>>133901626
I might check it out when I travel up north for Fanime.
>>
>>133901626
Whats the name of the store?
>>
>didn't get into anime until 2006
>will never get to experience the struggles of being an anime fan in the 80s & 90s

Man, the next time I'm at a thrift store or garage sale, I'm gonna hunt me down some anime VHS.
>>
>>133913801
It was late 90's for me, so I remember reading Beckett Pokémon and Digimon and seeing the order forms for DBZ tapes while the Cell saga was happening.
Like, there was a MOVIE about Goku's DAD? And one about Future Trunks too?
>>
>>133890176
god that gif
>>
Best thread on /a/.
>>
File: 1426526017392.png (207KB, 722x675px) Image search: [Google]
1426526017392.png
207KB, 722x675px
>>133888723
>have white VHS tapes with asian children storys
>they scared the hell out off both me and my little sister
>we cant still watch em
>>
I remember hearing about the Sailor Moon movies being available in VHS and in official subtitled form. I ordered it off of this fancy new site called "Amazon" and it took 2 weeks to be delivered. What a different time it was.
>>
>>133912343
You have alternatives.

Daisuki

Quit watching anime. You are not entitled to free stuff.

They are watching you in Japan. They are watching how much people are downloading their work. It makes them upset and nervous. They choose not to distribute anime to the west at all when they're upset or nervous.

I gave you plenty of examples you could have looked up yourself to verify. Raws exist, go ahead knock yourself out. You want translations? You'll give Japanese companies what they want.

This is not America where piracy is an annoyance. Japan thinks very differently about this issue than the US.

Fansub groups are closing by the dozens. Your options now are to pirate, which I have shown will make the situation worse. Watch from legitimate sources. Quit watching anime.

Your only argument left to you now sir is waaaaaaah waaaaaaaah I want free stuff.
>>
>>133898986
Are you me? I've been searching all over for VHS fansub tapes that have all of that just for the whole experience. I found a VHS that had the first four episodes of Gundam X that had the commercials and everything else.
I was blown away by that.
>>
>>133914699
>Quit watching anime. You are not entitled to free stuff.
You are stupid.

>They choose not to distribute anime to the west at all when they're upset or nervous.
You are so fucking wrong it's painfully
>What is trigger
And if that's the case, good riddance, the less mainstream the better.

>Japan thinks very differently about this issue than the US.
>implying you know shit about how shit works.

>Fansub groups are closing by the dozens.
Thanks to? Holy shit I am really dense, you are a CR shill I get it, shit fuck me for being so stupid, get out.

>Your only argument left to you now sir is waaaaaaah waaaaaaaah I want free stuff.
>sir
Get the fuck out.
>>
>>133914773
The same happens to me when hearing certain songs that I have in some old cassettes, I play them from time to time just to hear that mono, deteriorated sound.
>>
>>133899026
yes, wherever you're from every women is docile and follows their man's commands, that's why you told us exactly where you're fromOH WAIT
>>
>>133898852
it was a different time anon. At least now people can somewhat understand when someone doesn't want to get married, or doesn't want any children.
>>
File: 1436527142875.gif (3MB, 264x240px) Image search: [Google]
1436527142875.gif
3MB, 264x240px
>>133898772
>>
>>133912353
bob dole has said bob dole's name for you non-bob dole's to remember bod dolit!
>>
>>133901626
What's the store?
>>
>>133915057
I miss Bob Dole jokes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSwz4m6GQZI
>>
I've got a fairly substantial collection of legitimate and fansubbed VHS tapes from the period.
I quite enjoy watching these from time to time as it offers a different experience from watching a remastered BD rip with perfect subs and a choice of 4 different audio tracks.
Another thing is just how much shite there is in the collection, back then rather than looking at charts for months beforehand and carefully considering seasons it was really easy to end up with loads of garbage as all we really had to go on was word of mouth.
Somebody should write a book on this at some point, it's quite an interesting period.

I also own a BBC Master I purchased from a carboot that came with a Genlock board in it and a 5 1/4 floppy disk containing subtitles for episodes 15-19 of Ranma. I'd really like to see the original owner again and have a chat with him but I haven't seen him since.
>>
>>133912771

Take me with you
>>
I grew up near a little independent video rental shop that operated until the late 90s. The legal anime was rented under regular rules and fees, but the fansubs were under the checkout desk. The nice old lady who owned the place didn't think it was fair to make money off illegal, low-quality tapes that her grandson traded around, so you could get your deposit back when you turned the tape in. I didn't have much cash in middle school, so I rented everything with my church shoes. What a great lady.

(The local nerd population went into mourning for months after a burglar gutted the place and the owner retired instead of rebuilding. The empty space was so big that it was cut up for two businesses.)
>>
>>133914699
>It makes them upset and nervous. They choose not to distribute anime to the west at all when they're upset or nervous.
Well its a good thing we can just download it for free then
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrhE4cRFJ7A

All this time and no one posted this classic.
>>
>>133905508
The joys of the internet in 00s.
>>
>>133888723
Yeah, I would always spoil episodes of DBZ to people since I had watched the subs way before the dubs aired. Everyone thought I was a bullshit liar when I told them I had already watched the show in japanese. One time I ordered some tapes and the guy sent me a free copy of that horrible hentai Sailor Moon and the 7 Ballz. I still have that tape somewhere
>>
File: 1447262344129.gif (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1447262344129.gif
3MB, 640x360px
>>133897498
>>133897558
>the guy who recorded it all got married and she wanted it gone
>>
>>133914865
What is your argument exactly? All you're saying is you're wrong, you're a shill, you're wrong.

I even gave examples of exactly what Japan has and is doing.

Can you even make an argument or do you actually have nothing to say. Because if you can't I clearly won.
>>
>>133897498
WHERE IS THIS PLACE AND HOW DO I RENT THESE
>>
Speaking of retro stuff, I wonder how Grumpy Jii-san is doing ;_;
>>
>>133897498
where do you live?
state? city?
>>
>>133916321
>>133916435
It's been mentioned in this thread already, the store is in Commiefornia
>>
>>133897664
Some of the more obscure ones don't, unless you're in some of the really small IRC groups. Just looking at those images stuff like
>Wolfguy
>Zillion
>Mermaid's Scar
and other shitty OVAs don't exist on easily accessible torrent sites.
>>
>>133916482
>mermaid's scar
I never saw this, but the previews for it scared the shit out of me. I just wanted to watch Ranma 1/2 and they had to show me that shit.
>>
>>133911039
>I feel like the scanlation community isn't as tight as it used to be, but that might also be because it's much larger nowadays

People are much warier about revealing personal info over the internet nowadays. And /a/nonymous does the best scans so of course there's no community there.
>>
>>133916482
I'm pretty sure Zillion is easy to find.
>>
>>133897498

Man, it hurts so much, I know this shit is my future. Real life is so gay. I remember programming my VCR to record DBZ and Hamtaro while I was at middle school. The normalfags will never understand the struggle.
>>
>>133916670
>I know this shit is my future.
You should have something called free will. Just shun the 3DPD temptations.
>>
>>133901019
You should just ask if they will give you all of them. Either you take them and sort through them, or they will just end up in a dumpster one day with no one who cares.
>>
>>133916727
It's not even about temptation, real life will still come and stomp you into the dirt. I don't even need to shun the 3D witches, my dick won't even react to real life anymore. At 25 I'm a completely broken human being, and someday I will have to pay for my lifestyle.
>>
>>133911039
I lived in the mountains so me and my friends would buy DVD-Rs on Ebay with scanlations or currently airing anime. The fansubs back then would always have disclaimers telling us that fansubs were free and we shouldn't be paying for them, but we couldn't help it because we lived in cabins in the woods. We would always trade anime, but when we did decide to spend a whole week downloading a single episode of anime we would all sit around the computer. I remember torrenting Kamichu! like this.
>>
>>133917144
>watching anime in a cabin in a mountain woods
sounds comfy as fuck if you've got all your necessities
>>
>>133916885
>my dick won't even react to real life anymore
Damn I wish I could say this. I tried to masturbate to the better OreImo doujins the other day and I couldn't. I can only cum to plastic injected 3dpd cows
>>
>>133917418
The only missing necessity is the internet, but let's face it, what would we be doing right now without it? Trading tapes with the local aspie retard. I fucking hate the internet-influenced world but at least I get to watch my shows.

>>133917571
Just imagine anime is real life.
>>
>this thread

If there ever was a need for a "punch people over the internet" function, this would be it.
>>
>>133897498
And this is why women are shit.
>>
I love this thread so much. Reminds me of when a few of my college buddies and i found a big box full of 90s fansubs a while ago. Stuff like 9th-generation S. Baldric subbed Eva and Sailor Moon.
>>
>>133917679
>imagine anime is real life
But anime is real life.
>>
>>133909077
>never saw a release in the west nor fansubs

You could have chosen some better examples. All of those have fansubs except Dinosaur Planet and the second season of Futagohime.
>>
I mostly care about the old DVDs. Love that Excel Saga box set.
>>
>>133919345
Special Features: Interactive Menus
>>
I remember those days. The anime club at the college where I live actually still exists and has their tape library, in fact. This was how I first watched things like KKJ, tenshi ni narumon, and Nadia, back in the day.
Thread posts: 257
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.