[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is there so little hard fantasy in Anime?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

File: deedlit.jpg (68KB, 750x472px) Image search: [Google]
deedlit.jpg
68KB, 750x472px
Why is there so little hard fantasy in Anime?
>>
Probably because you have some absurdly restrictive personal definition of "hard fantasy" that makes you claim that 90% of fantasy anime don't count
>>
What's hard fantasy?
>>
>>124698723
Japan has low obesity rates.
>>
>hard fantasy
a what
>>
There's a few anime with elfs getting some "hard" fantasy, if you know what I mean.
>>
File: berserk bait.jpg (86KB, 680x989px) Image search: [Google]
berserk bait.jpg
86KB, 680x989px
>>124698723
>>
File: 1417590747679.gif (227KB, 360x239px) Image search: [Google]
1417590747679.gif
227KB, 360x239px
Is this hard fantasy?
>>
>>124698876
>>124698932
>>124699010
>>124699232
>>124699271
>>124699336
>retarded illiterate /a/ plebs don't know what hard fantasy is
Not surprising really.
>>
>>124699368
I don't know but that ice cream sure is durable.
>>
>>124699390
Enlighten me.
>>
>>124699412
Sorry but I don't bother conversing with plebs.
>>
>>124699471
So you don't even know how to define it.
>>
Because people grow out of this trite around age 16.
>>
>>124699390
>>124698723
I think you mean high or low fantasy.
>>
>>124699390
I didn't know what hard fantasy was until I googled it, and I apparently have read some books in the genre before.
>>
>>124699390
>implying hard fantasy is too subtle a concept
Get off your high horse, it's a lot more inclusive than you seem to think. It stands for litteraly every story with a logically and rigorously developped universe based on some fantsay postulate and laws. Doesn't matter if you have elves or cat lolis with mecas, as long as the universe is rigourosly contructed, detailed, and it includes magic/postulates that don't work in our world, it is hard fantasy. And there are plenty of these in anime.
>>
>>124699412
Not OP but it seems that it is the fantasy version of Hard science fiction. Meaning it is in a fantasy world that has hard rules.

Something like Slayers would be the anime version, I think. As it has a fairly well defined magic system and world.
>>
>Hard fantasy is a subgenre of fantasy literature that strives to present stories set in (and often centered on) a rational and knowable world. Hard fantasy is similar to hard science fiction, from which it draws its name, in that both aim to build their respective worlds in a rigorous and logical manner. The two diverge in that hard science fiction uses real scientific principles as its starting point, while hard fantasy postulates starting conditions that do not, and often cannot, exist according to current scientific understanding.

>Examples:
>Lord of the Rings
>Game of Thrones
>Magic Inc.

Most anime would be soft fantasy, stuff like super heroes, fairy tales, Sabrina the teenage witch.
>>
>>124699524
>>124699540
>>124699556
What, it's an actual genre? I thought OP was retarded so I just played along.
>>
because lodoss war was fucking boring as hell
>>
>>124698723
Do you mean hard fantasy or high fantasy?

I think anime does have actually quite a lot of hard fantasy because of anime/manga's love of pretending complicated, tangled rules and any excuse for rule explaining exposition scenes = world building.

High fantasy is more rare because high fantasy is based largely on European folk stories, while Anime fantasy is generally based on Asian/Japanese folk.
>>
>>124699540
So even Fate/Stay Night fits within that description.
>>
>>124698723

Easy answer.

Anime, in general, is so bloated and overloaded with bullshit magic systems, powerlevels, plot hax and fantastic elements that "hard fantasy" is an impossible concept in anime.

Hard fantasy, from my understanding, is just fantasy with a light touch the more fantastic elements and/or more grounded in world socio-political systems.

Hard fantasy = subtlety with the use of fantastic elements in fantasy.
Closest thing I can think of is Haruhi tbh but that's more hard sci-fi.
>>
Subtle rec thread seems to be too subtle for most.
>>
>>124699686
Technically yes, it could.
That's depends on whether you think the universe is rigorously contructed, so I suppose it's to be left to one's own interpretation. I personally think it would be hard fantasy, if it weren't for Gilgamesh being beaten by Shirou
>>
>>124698723
Won't sell.
>>
>>124699692
So you just made up your own definition
>>
>>124699787
>subtle rec thread
>nobody recs anything
>>
>>124699686
Actually anything that takes place in a fictional world with some world building/rules fits that description.
>>
>>124699556
I'm not very enthuastic about scifi, but doesn't hard scifi mean scifi that is plausible, meaning it could logically exist in futufe, like from anime front planetes or space brothers or some shit? Many, almost all have rules they follow and shit like mahouka and railgun would be hard scifi by this definition
>>
>>124699871
If LotR counts, then a lot of anime do. LotR doesn't really investigate the magical elements of its universe too deeply.
>>
>>124699390
High Fantasy is a better and much more established term.
>>124699412
Low Fantasy = Shit's magic I don't have to explain shit
High Fantasy = 2Pb + Philosopher's Stone = 1Au
>>
>>124698723
Naruto is a hard ninja fantasy anime.
>>
Fantasy as genre is pretty bullshit
>>
>>124700376
True. It's basically /v/ tier.
>>
>>124700398
What does that even mean?
>>
>>124699943
>High Fantasy = Hard Fantasy
>Low Fantasy = Shit's magic I don't have to explain shit
How fucking stupid can you get
>>
>>124699943
High fantasy generally refers to either settings with lots of magic and supernatural powers, or epic scale stories where kingdoms are at stake. Low fantasy describes low magic settings, or tales where the players are mostly concerned with their own selfish desires rather than the fate of the world or the whims of the gods (sometimes also called sword-and-sorcery).

Science fantasy would be the term that's most interchangeable with hard fantasy.
>>
>>124700472
Internally consistent and varyingly explained world's are high fantasy.
Don't inject /tg/ neckbeardery into what is long established literary fact.
>>
>>124700472

High fantasy just means it's a setting internally consistent and distinct from our own world. I've got no idea where people got shit like you're spouting from.
>>
high fantasy is any story where the wizard dude smokes weed out of a pipe
there are variations though, like sometimes he uses a magic hookah
>>
>>124700683
Is this what /a/ has become?
>>
>>124700576
>Internally consistent and varyingly explained world's are high fantasy.
High Fantasy is where magic and supernatural events are extremely prevalent and ubiquitous, it is often the exact opposite of Hard Fantasy. Low Fantasy is where magic and the supernatural are so rare that they are often not believed in, and is often more associated with Hard Fantasy because of this.

I'm not sure where you and >>124700650 got your definitions of High and Low Fantasy from, but I have never heard it described that way.
>>
>>124700728
smoke weed everyday
>>
'Hard fantasy' sounds like a forced distinction, made up by people who don't understand fantasy and want to distance themselves from creative authors who enjoy what they are doing.
>>
>>124700737
It's not a matter of prevalence or scale.
Large scale works more mythic in inspiration can be low fantasy.
The only hard (ha, pun) demarcation between high and hard fantasy is the setting, with the former needing it's own world to operate in, while the latter can be set in what's ostensibly just our world.
>>
>>124700857
"Fantasy" is so vague and broadly defined that it's inevitable that it would be broken up into numerous subgenres.
>>
>>124700978
okay but wikipedia says LotR is hard fantasy
and if Middle-Earth could ostensibly be our world then pretty much any fantasy universe could
>>
>>124699412
>>124699497

Use google instead of demanding to be spoonfed you fucking retard
>>
>>124700737
>I'm not sure where you and >>124700650(You) got your definitions of High and Low Fantasy from, but I have never heard it described that way.

The fucking essay that coined the term defined it that way. "High Fantasy and Heroic Romance" by Lloyd Alexander. Meanwhile you got your definition from some dude on the internet who read it on TVTropes.
>>
>>124701146
>"High Fantasy and Heroic Romance" by Lloyd Alexander
>1971
Wow, it's almost like over 43 years have passed since that essay was written and the definitions have changed.
>>
>>124701116
Bet you don't even know what it is.
>>
File: irregular-at-magic-high-school.jpg (131KB, 550x388px) Image search: [Google]
irregular-at-magic-high-school.jpg
131KB, 550x388px
>Hard Fantasy = A rational world where magic is well defined

Plenty of anime meet this over-simplified criteria.

Pic related. 80% of screen time is spent explaining how magic works in this world. 10% time is spent petting the sister. The last 10% is kicking ass and building a harem.
>>
>>124701509
It's still not a very good show though.
>>
>>124701509
Nearly every lite novel and battle manga adaptation that's churned out on a seasonal basis meets this criteria. It's the most common variety of fantasy in modern anime.

>>124701638
No one said it had to be good.
>>
>>124701719
I guess OP isn't deliberately looking for shit anime, but yeah, you're sort of right
>>
>>124701774
OP is just looking for european-style fantasy without any anime tropes.

Which is why he posted Lodoss War.
>>
>>124701845
>no anime tropes
But Deedlit is moe as all fuck.
>>
>>124701967
Moe is universally understood and touches the hearts of all peoples, anon
>>
>>124701845
That's not hard fantasy, that's high fantasy.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.