[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone watching Arslan? Aside from some horrible CGI I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 10

Anyone watching Arslan? Aside from some horrible CGI I'm liking it so far. I didn't expect LOGH levels based on the novels but its cool to see a show with this grand of a plot these days.

Really wish she didn't just make arlsan Edward with white hair though. Loved the OVA designs.
>>
Are you saying you read the novels?
>>
>>124640076
Arslan is better written then LotGH, that's the funny part.
>>
File: 1428843854663.webm (3MB, 800x450px)
1428843854663.webm
3MB, 800x450px
>>124640200
Also I have a strong hope Arslan Senki will get a second two-cour season sequel. There's actually enough material to work at least three full seasons into it.
>>
>>124640200
Maybe true, but it terms of execution I believe the logh adaptation will still be superior to this. Even with less of a budget the direction was crazy. The characters were all so fleshed out and lovable (in a way)
>>
Not much to talk about. 4 episodes in and it still feels like introduction. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but the pace really need to pick up a bit.
Threads about Arslan usually became circle-jerking about how much better the OVA from "the good old days" was.
>>
>>124640409
Battles were garbage in LotGH and so were the "tactics". LotGH scores in terms of socio-political commentary and even then Arslan novels were better received by Tanaka himself when compared to his earlier works.

Characters are LotGH only real saving grace and Arslan has its own equals. Also I dunno what you mean by "execution", because the production values for the LotGH tv series both in storyline and animation quality were all over the place.

Not saying LotGH isn't great but Arslan is Tanaka's magnum opus.
>>
>>124640473
No they weren't. The majority of activity from what I saw was that one Turkish shitposter always clogging up the thread with some revisionist history bullshit.

The only thing said about the OVAs in general were the character designes based off Amano's are superior (which is true) and the general focused bitching on Arakawa's neutering of Falangis and especially Gieve's designs which look incredibly generic in the reboot.
>>
>>124640512
You should stop posting such obvious bullshit.
>>
>>124640601
You are retarded.
>>
>>124640076
I like Arslan mainly because the plot could easily have been used for a old school Fire Emblem game
>>
>>124640653
Ancient-not Persia = old school Fire Emblem?
>>
>>124640726
>Prince of a crumbling kingdom who's king has fallen has to recruit a rag-tag team of people to save the day
It just screams old fire emblem and i love it.
>>
I really like how the story in Arslan uses a lot of actual ancient and real Iranian provinces for Pars. Shows how much the writers and the original author did their research for the story setting.

>Ectabana
>Atropatene
>Daylam
>Susa
>Elam
>>
How is the series? I skimmed the first episode not sure what it was and thought he was a girl and decided to give it a go.

Surprisingly it does seem potentially rather epic and much deeper than a lot of the shit we get anymore, but the fact I saw only one real female character in the first episode concerns me.

Is going to be half fujobait, or will it actually stay epic war story?
>>
File: 1428957707343.png (444KB, 499x383px) Image search: [Google]
1428957707343.png
444KB, 499x383px
>>124640993
>fujobait
>>
I love Arslan, and i tink the same, He look like Edward Elric, and many characters too.
>>
>>124640993
You should just drop it
>>
File: S1986.257.jpg (527KB, 600x922px) Image search: [Google]
S1986.257.jpg
527KB, 600x922px
>>124640653
Fire emblem was actually inspired by the novels, so...
>>
>>124641023

That's the sad thing about anime these days. A series with a bunch of relatively well drawn boys and men with no women in site is a red flag.

Yet at the same time I miss some of the old fantasy and space opera series that actually had a real story going and felt worth watching. Mind you they usually had female supporting roles too.
>>
>>124641096
Majority of anons are under 24, so its no surprised a lot of the young bloods aren't aware how popular the Arslan LNs were back in the early 90s.
>>
>>124641145
>That's the sad thing about viewers these days.
fify
>>
>>124640076
Its keeping my interest so far. Nothing has really stood out yet, and there isn't anything too annoying or intolerable.
>>
File: 748519_orig.jpg (151KB, 781x438px) Image search: [Google]
748519_orig.jpg
151KB, 781x438px
>>124640653
Look at Genealogy of the Holy War.

Sigurd looks like a bootlegged OVA Daryun. FE4 more than any other FE borrows a ton from Tanaka including the adaptions of his works.

FE1/3 itself looks awfully familiar too, on a related subject.
>>
File: 1428265625848.jpg (966KB, 1421x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1428265625848.jpg
966KB, 1421x1000px
So whose best boy?

Gieve, Daruyun, or Narses? Or Silver Mask?
>>
>>124640512
The budget was bad but the director was good. He made good use of it. The facial expressions were always a priority which I feel did a lot to bring it to life. This adaptation honestly looks disgusting, I truly hate her designs. Every character looks exactly like someone from FMA but with different colored hair. Meanwhile LOGH took ethnicity into consideration and had plenty of people who looked like actual humans.
>>
>>124640993
This isn't for you. If you really can't watch a show that you admit has actual subtance because there are no girls then you don't belong in this thread.

Its not fujobait, its by military otaku for military otaku who don't give a shit about girls. Also in its pseudo historical context there really wouldn't be any girls in this battle that we've been watching in the beginning.
>>
>>124641607
The original Arslan OVA series was made because of the insane popularity of the LNs, which spawned a manga adaption. Which itself was highly successful leading to the anime OVA series in the first place.

But technical issues went down. The reboot versions don't really have anything to do with the OVA version though and despite its own small budget, had amazing visuals, aged well, great voice acting, and a fun and colorful cast of characters.

The last OVA episode even has actual Persian chanting and singing in the first minute or so of its opening scene.
>>
>>124640076
>Loved the OVA designs.
They're based on Yoshitaka Amano designs.
Your love is only natural.
>>
File: 284333.jpg (1MB, 1870x3148px) Image search: [Google]
284333.jpg
1MB, 1870x3148px
>>124641757
>>124641396
>>124641096
I like how Daruyun's design with his armor was so fun for Amano he replicated it with Cecil in FFIV.
>>
So his real dad is the tactician right?
>>
>>124640076
Why the fuck does he look like Ed?
>>
>>124641990
Nope
>>
>>124640957

So it is supposed to be a persia analoge then? I got the impression they were turkish with the crusaders and just looking at the map.

Also the persian empire is pretty famously anti-slave so that's some sweet irony.
>>
>>124642080
>Turkish
Turks aren't Iranian and no, I don't see how there's anything Turkish besides the name of Arslan. We're even told the heartland of the Parsian empire is in "Pars", which should be a god damn dead ringer what country is being paralleled here.

>persian empire is pretty famiously anti-slave
Pars in Arslan is an amalgamation of the Achaemenids, Arsacids, and Sassanid dynasties of the Iranian imperial empires of the ancient past.

And the Sassanids and Arsacids were not "anti-slavery". The Sassanids said it was only illegal to own a fellow Zoroastrian.
>>
>>124642080
How is it not a Persia analogue? Almost all the names and locations in Pars itself are ethnically Iranian and Persian. The story itself is set between classical to late antiquity period before the Dark Ages/Middle Ages in the Middle East, Turks don't really factor into Near East as a major political power until the Middle Ages.

Also the name Darayun and Narses....how do those sound Turkish?

Turks don't have a major presence in the story except as antagonists in Arslan along with Turanians, and in the real world history in Central Asia and the Near East, don't encounter the Persian Empire until the early 5th century.

Like >>124642190 said, the only thing Turkish here is the name Arslan. Actual Turks are used later on but with the main cast and location of Pars? Its a Persia expy.
>>
>>124642190
>>124642375

When i look at that map, it looks more like anatolia minus the dardanelles. Plus the crusader thing and their armour put them post 1000AD to me.

I didnt even really consider the names that much since i'm so used to japan butchering foreign words so much.

Ultimately though, yeah, you're almost certainly right. It just looks like they're mixing up history more than i originally thought.
>>
>>124642806
You'd then be very surprised at the recovered relics of ancient Persian, Greek, and Roman maps if you think "that" is somehow Middle Ages. Especially with a native expy of not-Persians set in said time period which would contradict that belief of it being about "the crusades".

Really this just serves to illustrate my belief most people really don't know jackshit about classical historical era if they mix it up with the Middle Ages.
>>
>>124641990
Was it the old guy?
>>
>>124642880

What? No, I mean the actual landmass, with an invasion from the north east looks more like anatolia. I'm not talking about the actual period maps at all.

I mean the armour. All of the parsian troops are wearing some fairly heavy and complex iron or steel lamallar armor. Their horses are even wearing barding which is something that definitely doesnt start showing up until the middle ages.
>>
>>124641596

I'd go gay for daryun in a heartbeat. That ponytail of justice...
>>
I am still curious what Elaine would look like, either in the anime or the OVA.
>>
>>124641991
Because it's the same mangaka
>>
File: 1232132154.jpg (462KB, 604x850px) Image search: [Google]
1232132154.jpg
462KB, 604x850px
>>124643234
Persian cataphracts wore lamallar armor since the Arscaid dynasty m8.
>>
File: 1378810613277.gif (237KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1378810613277.gif
237KB, 500x281px
>>124640352
>Also I have a strong hope Arslan Senki will get a second two-cour season sequel
>>
>>124641189
This. And it got a 4.5 million viewer rating last week
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-04-27/japan-animation-tv-ranking-april-13-19/.87590
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.