[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is /a/ still under the impression that English dubs are bad?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: kuwabara.jpg (29KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
kuwabara.jpg
29KB, 640x480px
Why is /a/ still under the impression that English dubs are bad?

This isn't the mid-90s anymore, most English dubs range from decent to good. i get preferring the original Jap version, but many dubs are by no means "bad".
>>
>>124531904
Because they legitimately are. There is no argument.
>>
i totally see the reason someone would watch only subbed but anyone who is a snob about it is a faggot
>>
Original japanese VA cast receives direction from the actual creators of the show. I want to experience the intended work, not something that's been passed through a dub group.
>>
>>124531904
Awful bait. If you wanna watch english dubbed chinese cartoons then go ahead, literally nobody is stopping you.
>>
>>124531904
>This isn't the mid-90s anymore
We should be so lucky. Dubs have become even worse since the 90's.
>>
YOU'RE A MESHI
>>
File: 1409029428456.jpg (34KB, 522x464px) Image search: [Google]
1409029428456.jpg
34KB, 522x464px
>>124531904
>watching dubs of anything
>>
Yu Yu Hakusho is actually better with the english dub.
>>
Speaking of dubs, check 'em.
>>
I don't care.

Why would I wait for eng dubs when I can watch it with eng subs?

>oh yeah im gonna wait for the dubs when all discussion threads on /a/ are going to be dead
>>
The mid-90s if anything had better dubs. More censorship (unless it's a VHS release) but also competent voice acting.

I prefer subbed animu, but dubs have gone from inferior but occasionally good to intolerable but occasionally just inferior.
>>
>>124532083
>I'm not denying the original VAs have the greater advantage to put on a better performance, but it is not like English VAs aren't given direction or their character's motivation.
>>
I'm not. But in this high speed world we live it, I always see the Japanese version first.
>>
Dubs are generally poor and extremely rarely better than the original, and people who watch them are generally casual scum.
>>
>>124531904
>isn't the mid-90s anymore, most English dubs range from decent to good
Define good.
>>
Dubs?
>>
>>124532268
whoops, didn't mean to greentext.
>>
>>124532169
Seconded Urameshi sounded like a cock sucker in the japanese version
>>
I watch both depending on what anime I'm watching. Like yu yu hakusho or cowboy bebop I'd watch dubbed but for shit like attack on titan or hellsing I watched subbed. I dont think it really matters how you watch it. It's just preference. People who are cunt ass elitists about it are garbage though lol
>>
Most anime I watch don't even have dubs.
>>
I watch both about equally, no doubt subs > dubs in general, but some people do have a unreasonable level of hatred towards dubs, almost as if dubs ran into their house and murdered their family or something, or sperge out about every minor mispronunciation. Anime is rarely serious enough that it requires an elite team of a list voice actors, especially fun shit like kenan la kel. My biggest problem with dubs though is the limited number of voice actors, hearing the same 10 people over and over again gets old really fast, and then you have a situation like gurren lagann where if you watch it dubbed you're shit out of luck because the movies were never dubbed.
>>
File: 1379430184732.png (328KB, 674x476px) Image search: [Google]
1379430184732.png
328KB, 674x476px
I prefer Egyptian dubs.
>>
Why is the Yu Yu Hakusho dub so good while the Dragonball dub is so bad? They're the same actors.
>>
File: 1401209235616.png (30KB, 156x143px) Image search: [Google]
1401209235616.png
30KB, 156x143px
>>124532477
>those shows
>lol
>thinking that anybody cares about your /v/ermin opinion
>>
>>124532573
>My biggest problem with dubs though is the limited number of voice actors, hearing the same 10 people over and over again gets old really fast

same goes for japanese dubs
>>
Botan is the only good thing about the Yu Yu Hakusho dub.

As with most dubs there's usually one or sometimes two good voices and every single other voice is awful.
>>
>>124532700
And Yusuke's japanese girl voice is better than his english voice how?
>>
Dubs typically only work for certain types of shows, like nonserious comedy ones. Lucky Star, Ouran and School Rumble are pretty good dubs. Yuyu Hakusho had a great dub because they actually put effort into the script writing and acting.
>>
>>124532678

Really? I'm too pleb to tell the difference to be honest, they could probably switch VAs mid season and I wouldn't even notice.
>>
>>124532678
>same goes for japanese dubs
In what way?
>>
>>124532813
Are you deaf? How is that a girl voice?
>>
>>124531904
I used to download dual audios because they were the only ones that were 480p, and in that time I couldn't watch 720p because shit pc.

Pressing a would from jap to eng. And boy, dubs sucks.
>>
>>124532939
>>124533009
For example Norio Wakamoto or Takahiro Sakurai. I've heard these guys so much I'm just sick of them. And then there are VAs with similar voices which makes it even worse.
>>
>>124531904
>This isn't the mid-90s anymore
Yeah, you can't expect anything good from a dub now if it's not some iteration of DBZ.
>>
>>124533009

Wasn't Hanakana like 4 main characters in a single season?

There's a deeper underlying issue with anime voices though that's not just about English or Japanese actors. The real problem is the same character archetypes are used over and over so eventually everyone starts sounding similar despite the language. Rei clones will always sound similar, DFC tsunderes always sound the same, harem MC's annoying friend always sounds the same.
>>
Space Dandy Dub > Sub
Spice and Wolf Dub > Sub
DB + DBZ Dub > Sub
Cowboy Bebop Dub > Sub
Mobile Suit Gundam (Original) Dub > Sub
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.