[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Someone please tell me, what point could there possibly in having

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 10

File: Capture.png (74KB, 873x353px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
74KB, 873x353px
Someone please tell me, what point could there possibly in having an already edited script edited again by someone who doesn't understand Japanese, transforming the clearly-labeled typesetting into a moving mess, muxing it with an even shittier encode, and then passing it off as your own?

Unless it's Funimation, it's not necessary. And even then, it's been shown that translation errors by Funimation will still carry over to the scripts re-edited by fansub groups, which takes away almost all meaning in editing it in the first place.
>>
Because Nyaa circle jerk of bronies.
>>
File: 1396667498304.jpg (250KB, 1678x943px) Image search: [Google]
1396667498304.jpg
250KB, 1678x943px
Commie owns the website, what the hell did you expect? The worse part is a good deal of idiots support this crap. Then again I only need to take a look at my generational peers to see why they eat this shit up.
>>
daiz, hi10p, VLC, irc, foolz, Foolz, ping pong, encoding, vlcsnap, 10bit, underwater, CCCP, KCP, TT,
>>
>not liking based Commie typesetting
>>
>>124094814
because it's a fucking cartel, and nyaa is awful
I like commie's typesetting but goddamn the translations are too liberal
>>
>>124095188
Typesetting was invented so that people who can't speak Japanese could feel like they had an important role in fansubbing. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>124095337
Subtitles were invented so that people who can't speak Japanese could feel like they understood what the people are saying. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>124095403
You are not wrong.
>>
>>124095337
It sucks that a lot of these cartel groups would rather focus on what looks good rather than translating a fucking sentence.
I remember one of them using the excuse "translating this how it was supposed to be would make the subs look bad"
Fucking imbeciles, thank god I can deal with raws now.
>>
File: commieisshit.jpg (844KB, 1902x1080px) Image search: [Google]
commieisshit.jpg
844KB, 1902x1080px
They're doing us all a service by sharing their dank memes.
>>
>>124095520
Exactly. The translation should be as literal as possible without sounding super shit, and everything else should be made to accommodate that translation.
So what if a joke doesn't make sense when translated from Japanese to English? You're watching a goddamn Japanese show about Japanese things, of course there will be things you don't understand due to the differences in culture. Either learn to understand the joke, or just accept that you don't get it and then move on.
Oh, "This character said _____, but that sounds weird when translated into English."? So fucking what? Translate it, and the viewers can deal with it. A translator's job is to, as accurately as possible, confer the words that are being said.
>>
>>124095613
"Glomp" is not a meme. "Glomp" has been around forever and has been used forever. Stop being stupid. I hate you.
>>
>>124095636
>The translation should be as literal as possible without sounding super shit, and everything else should be made to accommodate that translation.

simple solution...

just go subscribe to Crunchyroll
>>
>>124095636
>So what if a joke doesn't make sense when translated from Japanese to English?
then it becomes unfunny

some people would prefer to watch something enjoyable rather than masturbate about how faithful their translation is to the original
>>
>>124095685
It is, however, not an actual word.
>>
>>
>>124095636
>A translator's job is to, as accurately as possible, confer the words that are being said.
That's only true when you're translating manuals.
For anything else, you're supposed to adapt things to the linguistic culture you're translating to.
No, that does not mean jelly donuts. It means turning Japanese idioms into English ones. It means removing Japanese puns and replacing them with English ones unless the pun is an actual story element.
>>
>>124095738
A translator has no right to change the script of a show. Often, jokes will include cultural references which are relevant to the anime or its surroundings. If you completely re-write the joke to something else, you lose that.

Further, is a translator a writer? No, they are a translator. A writer is a writer, and a writer for an anime is a professional writer, something that a translator is not. It's not a translator's place to go changing the words that come out of the characters' mouths. It's nobody's place but the writer's to do that.
>>
>>124095132
His bots are going to summon him like 50 times lol.
>>
>>124095745
Fun fact! Vernacular language (any language) doesn't give a flying fuck about whether a given linguistic construct is in the dictionary or not. How do words wind up in the dictionary? Because it's used often enough to warrant its enshrinement into a dictionary.

Did you think that shit like "hella" wasn't something that people actually said before Webster's put it in? Do you think dictionaries dictate vernacular language? No.

Subtitles of people speaking in vernacular should use appropriate translations of them speaking in the vernacular. This shit isn't a dissertation. No one gives a shit about Chicago style or appropriate syntax so long as it make sense.
>>
>>124095843
>A translator has no right to change the script of a show.
That is literally his job though.

>Further, is a translator a writer?
Yes, actually. There is a reason why good literature also acknowledges the translator who worked on it.
>>
>>124095969
Forgot to add:
You could try to make a case for anime subtitles not being a normal translations but mere aids for people who are trying to understand the original - but with the minimalistic style of subtitles (less than 5 sentences in the subtitles per sentence of Japanese spoken) you'd be standing on rather shaky legs with that claim.
>>
>>124095132
At least you summoned someone.
https://twitter.com/herkz2/status/588583016437403648
>>
>>124096169
Daiz is living in Europe. The likelihood for him coming online at this hour is small.
>>
>>124096169
I would prefer to summon the tax office than him.
>>
>>124096169
herkz sure is quick to post an /a/ thread despite claiming not to visit /a/.
>>
>>124096246
When you sit in an IRC channel with a bot that can't stop telling you about every single post on /a/ that mentions you, your subgroup or one of your esteemed colleagues you can't help but be involved somehow.
>>
>>124096314
Is there actually a bot in the commie irc that does that?
>>
>>124096169
Diaz at least knows what he's doing from a technical standpoint. herkz is a useless faggot who does nothing but shit up everything he touches.
>>
>>124096425
Don't talk that way about my waifu.
>>
>>124096441
Go to bed, herkz. No one wants you here.
>>
Fansub has lost its purpose with the ascend of simulcast. The fansub scene are either roaming in desert or quit all together.

Nobody seem to have figured out what actual value-add fansub groups can actually provide anymore. Which is strange, considering how many hundred of old shows fell through the cracks over the years that are up for grabs.
>>
I installed Aegisub. How can I help?
>>
>>124096554
Go to
>C:\Program Files (x86)\Aegisub
Double click "unins000.exe"
Follow the prompts.
>>
>>124096541
Commie actually did once sub a show that aired a few years before their release: Heartcatch Precure. Of course it had already been translated at the time and they only did it to epic trell Doremi but still
>>
>>124096554
Make sure to read the guides. Don't want to make too many beginner mistakes.
>>
>>124096588
Or you know sudo zypper rm aegisub.
>>
>>124096554
Congrats you're now a more reliable, better and actually useful person than herkz
>>
>>124096541
Meh. I'm positive that most people who lament the death of fansubbing weren't around when CR didn't pay subbers yet.
You got the top 3 titles or so of a season very quickly and by a variety of subgroups (like today) and everything else was either slow as fuck (like 1 episode per month slow) or completely dead.

There's not less fansubbers than before. It's just that 3/4 of them are now being paid to do their job and so they bring out the episodes on time.
I'm not saying CR is good, but at least it put organization into the subbing efforts from back in the day.
>>
>>124096420
I don't know that they use it but s i z t r a used a script or program that alerted him in IRC when his name was mentioned so he could start shitting up the thread.
>>
>>124096554
http://unanimated.xtreemhost.com/aegisub.htm

http://unanimated.xtreemhost.com/timing-basics.htm

http://unanimated.xtreemhost.com/timing-without-tpp.htm

http://unanimated.xtreemhost.com/ts/index.htm
>>
File: 1328827749455.jpg (79KB, 450x400px) Image search: [Google]
1328827749455.jpg
79KB, 450x400px
>>124096691
>>
>>124096554
Recently started learning to sub and I recommend sudoku instead.
Unless I'm missing out on some tool to automate it, timing is a fucking bitch.
Took me an hour or so to do the first 5 minutes of SR69 and gave me a headache so bad I had to stop.
>>
>>124096618
Would subbing Frasier in spanish be good practice or a complete waste of time?
>>
File: pong.jpg (87KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
pong.jpg
87KB, 1280x720px
So to a person who has mostly limited knowledge of Japanese, is FFF the way to go for a not-overly liberal translation of Oregairu 2? Or are they just about the same with gommie and you might as well go for the latter because of prettier typesetting?
>>
>>124096834
Try both. Go with what you like better.
>>
>>124096800
You must be missing something. I time without TPP and can do a full 24-minute episode in 40 minutes, and I'm not even fast.
Mind you, I'm also a TL so I'm TLing things in my head as I time so I can better gauge lead-ins/outs/snapping/linking etc.
>>
>>124096834
I'm saying this as a TL and a native Japanese: Go with Crunchyroll. There's nothing wrong with them, and they're your best best if you want as accurate as possible and no-bullshit subs.
>>
>>124096834
FFF is always a solid choice. Commie is only usable as a last resort. Even HS is better if it's not a Funi rip.
>>124096892
Well I was reading up on the software I'm using and lurking /a/ at the same time.
I'm sure there's a faster way to do it but I didn't even know what software to use until a couple hours before then.
You know a video player that will display time beyond just MM:SS? I installed VLC but if it can do that, I can't figure out how to enable it.
>>
>>124096983
>You know a video player that will display time beyond just MM:SS? I installed VLC but if it can do that, I can't figure out how to enable it.
What are you doing? Just open the video in Aegisub.
>>
>>124096983
What do you need the precise timeframes for? Aegisub will display MM:SS:xxx as well as exact frame numbers. Chuck your video in there and go off that.
>>
>>124096983
I remember when I tried to sub Boss using only mpv and gedit. I was working for a good ten minutes and then they started talking.
>>
>>124096932
You CR-shills are 24/7 holy shit.
>>
>>124096983
Also, bind a bunch of audio timing commands like Play first 500ms of a line/Play last 500ms of a line/Go to next line/Go to previous line to your keyboard so you never need to move your hands when timing. I have it set up so I just move the start/end times with my mouse and everything else is done with 4 fingers resting on ASDF. That way, I can time almost as fast as the episode plays.
>>
File: timing.jpg (307KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
timing.jpg
307KB, 1920x1080px
>>124097009
>>124097021
Clearly I'm retarded. Like I said, never subbed before.
I only started learning because it looked like nobody was going to sub SR69 for a while.
Still want to learn to sub the entirety of the original Pokemon series.
>>124097116
Paying to stream is retarded but CR subs are actually accurate, if often overly literal. It's Funi subs that you should bitch about. Subbing 'keikaku doori' as 'just like a plan' is fucking unacceptable for a staff of 'professionals'.
>>
>>124097188
pokeshits are retards, don't
>>
>>124097188
Just as a tip if you're a TL. Never treat something as a "draft." Once you TL a line, you should treat that line as being locked off until a TLC or editor has a look at it. If I'm TLing on my laptop away from an internet connection and can't look up certain things (often things like military vehicle names, guns, etc.) I check "Comment" for that line which marks the line blue, and that tells me to come back to that line when I'm back at home.
It's not unusual for me to TL in multiple passes, filling in the gaps with every pass, but don't ever leave a line unmarked and go, "Eh, I'll fix that up later." because you absolutely will miss it, as I've learned the hard way. Always clearly mark the lines you want to come back to in a colour-coded fashion.
If your timer (or you) has timed a line like "Eh?" or "Ah." that you feel doesn't need to be translated, just delete that line or leave it blank so it doesn't get mixed with the other commented lines.
>>
>>124095262
They're not liberal, they're outright bullshit most of the time. Memesubs, essentially.

My otouto watches Commie and I've had to bear through them a couple of times, fortunately for me I speak moon so I go straight to raws when I watch anime alone.
>>
>>124097188
>utorrent

http://torrentfreak.com/new-utorrent-release-breaks-ties-with-bitcoin-miner-150413/

If you are using the latest version.
>>
>>124097188
>Clearly I'm retarded.
Clearly you are. The date on your screenshot tells me your a shitposting troll.
>>
>>124097317
I don't actually like Pokemon, I just want to be the one to fill the biggest request on AB. 8.8TB will easily put me in the top 10 uploaders. I don't even have to sub the ones that are already done.
>>124097367
I know a fair bit of moon from watching animu but not enough to really TL.
I called it a draft because someone else extracted the script from hardsubs before I could. I used his script but the timing was fucked after the OP. I'm not even going to QC until I get the timing down.
If I remember right that episode had one instance of 'hipster' that better translates as 'normalfag'. I don't even know how to mark a link to check later.
Also I'm not part of a group, just learning to do it solo because it's been on the to do list for a while.
>>124097499
I'm not retarded. 3.1.3 because it's the last version without ads crammed in. Don't know if any earlier versions support auto-download via RSS feeds.
I'd be using something else if it could handle seeding hundreds of torrents without eating all the damn RAM.
Bittorrent Inc. a colossal shit though.
>>
File: Capture.png (130KB, 1010x202px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
130KB, 1010x202px
>>124097188
>That shitty spectrum.

I don't get why more people don't use the green spectrum. I find it so much easier to work with. And also, increase the visibility.
>>
File: derp.jpg (319KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
derp.jpg
319KB, 1920x1080px
>>124097587
Not even sure what you're getting at.
I didn't say I was subbing it quickly. There's no rush at all now that orz is doing it better than I could.
>>124097664
I was thinking the same thing but didn't care enough to change it.
I never said I was any good at this. I just want to learn the minimum skills to sub anime I like when nobody else is handling it.
Fuck letting Commie and Daiz kill subbing.
>>
>>124096541
>Fansub has lost its purpose with the ascend of simulcast.
They should work on the backlog of existing untranslated shows.
>>
>>124097818
But anon, those will only net ~1-2k downloads per episode! How do you expect me to feed my children on such low traffic?
>>
>>124097818
Not enough attention in that unfortunately so fansubbers won't do it for the most part. A real shame
>>
>>124096834
FFF's ep2 was not only more liberal than Commie, but also flat out wrong in places. Even CR made mistakes. I know people will jump on me for saying this, but if you watched S1 weekly, you should know that Commie were the best option back then, even if you didn't like how they phrased things.

>prettier typesetting
FFF typesets more signs than Commie and actually does a better job imo, but their translation is the worst of the three. Either watch Commie when they release first, or wait for CR if you can't stand them.
>>
>>124097818
What even ARE some untranslated shows? Unless there's a database of untranslated shows, it's going to be pretty difficult to sift through hundreds of shows looking for one that doesn't have a sub group attached to it. Let alone one that you even want to do.
>>
herkz mai waifu
>>
>>124097882
Oh and beyond that, to find one that people would even want to watch.
>>
>>124097882
Most shows from before 1990 or so are untranslated and all fansub efforts are on aniDB
>>
>>124097882
I don't know how to track them down but they definitely exist.
Hamtaro for one isn't entirely subbed. No doubt related to being a kid's show with over 500 episodes.
>>
>>124097857
Then fuck Commie for phrasing things to the point of being flat out wrong.
>>
>>124097882
I wouldn't mind a translation for Parappa the Rapper even if it is shit
>>
>>124095969
>A translator has no right to change the script of a show.
No, a translator's job is literally translating, I would know, I do this for a living. A translator's not a fucking screenwriter adapting a book or something.
The most you'll do is replace idioms from the source text with something that has an equivalent figurative meaning (or literal, if the text calls for it, e.g. a character misusing an idiom). Other than that, you keep the translation literal, and if something doesn't make sense or lacks cultural context, then tough luck. If you were translating a book, you'd add a footnote explaining it. However, if it's anime, then you better not fuck it up with TL notes or other bullshit, because most regular anime followers already pick up on most of the cultural nuances anyway.

>Yes, actually. There is a reason why good literature also acknowledges the translator who worked on it.

I translate German and Russian literature to my native language for a living, and I don't feel like a writer. What I do is translate, I don't get the liberty of changing things as I go along. Stop being retarded. If I changed the script on my own whim or made liberal translations like Commie does with anime, I'd get prostrated by my editor at best. At worst I'll get fired and nobody will ever hire me.

Also, protip: most authors don't give two fucks about their translations, it's rare for a translator to get acknowledged by the author, while it's a common practice that you get acknowledged by the editor. And the reason certainly isn't that we're some sort of literary geniuses.

TL;DR: You know shit.
>>
.dium
>>
File: △.png (9KB, 350x308px) Image search: [Google]
△.png
9KB, 350x308px
>>124097188
>CR subs are actually accurate, if often overly literal
>>
>>124097955
>The most you'll do is replace idioms from the source text with something that has an equivalent figurative meaning
So, pretty much what we're talking about.
Your point is moot.

>I don't feel like a writer.
I don't care what you "feel" like. Some men don't feel like men and they still got a dick between their legs.
>>
>>124097499
Why would anyone use anything other than uTorrent 2.2.1? Going higher means you're a pleb.
>>
>>124098056
Translating "いただきます" into "rub a dub dub, thanks for the grub" is not a proper translation.
>>
>>124095969
Not that anon but you're arguing semantics there and of course they'd credit translators for their work. Any extra content from the translator is to provide their own insight into their interpretation of the work so the readers can see why they translated the work the way they did. Translators are supposed to present the original content in a format that the audience can interpret it for themselves, not alter the content outright just because they don't think the audience won't get it.

>A good translation communicates the author's work as much as possible
>Translation is not 1:1 word for word matching, especially not with languages as distant as English and Japanese
>Translations should ideally deliver the literal meaning and accompanying nuances intact but the output will always be lossy for extended works from the language barrier alone
>Localization and rewriting is definitely required to keep dialogue flow natural but there's a thin, blurry line between getting it right and overdoing it.
>However well informed the intended audience is about the cultural connotations within the work is irrelevant to the translation. Even natives may not understand what so and so means to people in the know. Why should it be any different for the foreign audience? It's perfectly fine to include notes at the end to help the audience out but their lack of knowledge is not the translator's concern.

Commie's translation work is subpar:
>CR has access to the show scripts whereas subgroups typically don't and have to go by ear which can be terribly confusing at times with a language so chock full of homonyms like japanese
>They reuse CR's scripts and regularly fail to catch mistakes they make on top of adding their own share of them
>They overlocalize dialogue a lot and replace cultural connotations completely with what they think is an appropriate american equivalent. Characterization suffers from this.
>They love forcing memes into their scripts
>>
>tfw anime fans actively prefer crudely translated fansubs to professional translations because fansubs have pretty fonts
Why has this happened? Why does this medium attract such a low class person?
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.