[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Playback and Encoding Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 7

File: The_Kyouko.png (4MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
The_Kyouko.png
4MB, 1920x1080px
Why doesn't the wiki have a page on this? Surely it'll prevent newfags from adopting bad habits (VLC, Crunchyroll) and clarify a few things that are deemed "placebo bullshit".

For one, a great deal of windows users are using mpc-hc for some unknown reason. Of course there are instances in which some directshow filters are appropriate, for instance my soundcard doesn't support 24-bit sample output via WASAPI but does via ASIO which requires a directshow filter; though that is reliant upon me running windows, which is a rarity, in addition to a 24-bit output being unnecessary in this context.

Would it not be highly appropriate to make a page of sample mpv configs and state where mpv will attempt to locate them?

Would it not be highly appropriate to provide an overview of what encoding is, why low quality x264->x265 transcodes should be avoided at all costs and what AV codecs should be used in a device specific context (i.e. opus is far more appropriate for a low bitrate desktop context than for a mobile context, in which case one should use AAC-HE).

Also an explanation as to why audio passthrough should always be used if transcoding from an AAC source regardless of the intended recipient device.
>>
>>123768221
Then why don't you make one?
>>
People still buy soundcards?
>>
>>123768376
Because I compulsively write incomprehensible, excessively technical, run-on sentences.
Also I don't know how to edit the wiki.
I suppose I could handle playback and source material though.
>>
>>123768400
It's really a usb audio interface; PCI cards are futile nowadays
>>
>>123768531
find someone to help you then
>>
>>123768598
hence the thread...
>>
>>123768221
>Why doesn't the wiki have a page on this? Surely it'll prevent newfags from adopting bad habits
Does anyone even use the wiki?
>>
>>123768815
Certainly not newfags but that won't help all the epic spoonfeeders from putting in tons of effort for next to nothing.
>>
>>123768619
did you really think there's anyone on /a/ that could be of any use
>>
All I see here is a fairly cleverly disgusted "MPC-HC vs mpv" thread...

Also, you shouldn't always keep the AAC as AAC "regardless of recipient". You should in most cases because your config should support AAC, but if it doesn't then you should transcode it to something else (worse quality is better than no sound at all).
>>
>>123768867
well /g/ are too busy ricing and whining about systemd. The mpvfags are too busy gossiping about wm4 and disregarding low spec systems.

I also started a thread about the utility of x265 for streaming services on /a/ last night in which quite a few posters knew what they were talking about; so it doesn't seem infeasible
>>
>>123768986
Anyway the existence of KCP kind of made setup guides obsolete. Anyone who feels like they want to tweak the preconfigured setups (which are very good to start with, but you might have special needs) can just look into it themselves.
>>
>>123768986
I don't think there's any need for debate regarding mpc-hc and mpv. MPV is far more efficient, more easily configurable and far more compatible than MPC-HC, recommending it beyond for monster systems that can handle 64+ neuron nnedi3 is a bogus proposal.

I've noticed with handbrake GUI (which anyone reliant on the wiki for info will probably start with) that it seems to default to transcoding to AAC regardless of source, re-encoding AAC as AAC will merely diminish quality with no advantage. Also I know of very few devices that don't support AAC-LC, even the PSP does. It is a core component of the mp4 spec and can even be decoded in hardware.
>>
>>123769041
KCP is excellent, as far as preconfigured software goes. The configs are completely lacking in placebo, though for some reason they recommend lanczos over spline. It does the best with what it has to work with.
>>
>>123769209
What do I have to add to my mpv config file to make videos loop?
>>
>>123769290
That's very vague, could you contextualise?
>>
>>123769339
Well, as far as I can tell the input.conf is the only way to configure mpv on windows. I'd like some videos to loop but I don't know how. Tried some stuff from http://mpv.io/manual/master/ but no luck.
>>
>>123769209
>I don't think there's any need for debate regarding mpc-hc and mpv. MPV is far more efficient, more easily configurable and far more compatible than MPC-HC
[Citation Needed]

>>123769288
The highest preset uses 2 tap Jinc with AR for both chroma and image upscaling. If that's not placebo then I don't know what is.
>>
>>123769452
Ringing is visible, antiringing makes sense. Perhaps for chroma upscaling that is pretty damn placebo, but the differences are definitely visible for image upsampling.
>>
>>123769656
Do you know what placebo means? The highest preset in KCP is the highest quality settings in madVR. How can you get "more placebo" than that?
>>
>>123769713
8 tap jinc, Linear Light, ewal_lanczos tscale?
>>
>>123769805
Oh crap I didn't realize it went all the way up to 8 tap jinc. For some reason I thought 3 was max.
(The default for the highest preset is 3, not 2 like I wrote earlier).

Well I guess KCP does lack a placebo setting in that case.
>>
>>123769432
Try using --loop-file=inf in you mpv.conf under [extension.webm] (assuming that's what you want it for)
>>123769880
There's little advantage beyond 3 taps, unless you like ringing. I haven't used MadVR for a while but I'm sure you have 3,4,8 as options.
>>
Anyway, How do you edit the wiki?
>>
>>123768221
>VLC
>Bad
At least VLC doesn't freeze my computer for ~20 minutes every time I try to watch a show.
>>
>>123769452
Somewhat anecdotal but I've managed to run spline36 Chroma and image upsampling in mpv on a 2008 ThinkPad (pre-Intel HD graphics GPU). That would be impossible with madVR.

Mpv uses imagemagick scaling algorithms which are *very* well documented and hence make configuration very easy (as does the very well made manual). It also has more options for scaling which allows you to specify whichever is most appropriate for the source material. Who else has ewa_hanning or even ewa_ginseng?

Mpv is free software written with compatibility with apis for every major desktop platform, and because it's free software it can be ported to any other (realistic platform)
>>
>>123770463
I'll try to fix that: what system are you running?
>>
>>123770463
or better put, what are your system's specs?
>>
>>123768221
I barely understood any of that shit. Almost everything I know about media players and encoding is what I've pieced together from torrent descriptions. I've got MPC+CCCP because everyone said it was good and believe it or not it plays anime. Visuals are great, audio is clear. Is there something I'm missing here because I'm not seeing any problems.
>>
>>123770939
The visuals are great, relative to vlc. They could, however, be better. The point in adding it to the wiki is to construct a layman's terms understanding of "that shit" so you know why the visuals could be better and why audio isn't always clear. You may just be lucky and have only downloaded good Bluray encodes i.e. coalgirls, thora. But for other content, like currently airing shows, restoring as much detail as possible and making it look as close to the source material as possible is necessary.

Adding stuff to the wiki should help people not to support bad encoders or download encodes that are inappropriate for the device they intend to watch it on.
>>
>>123770939
That was true like 8 years ago
They don't bother bother to update playback.txt
As far as i know the only group update their playback guide is Coalgirl
And they recommend mpv
>>
>>123771220
Forgot the link
https://coalgirls.wakku.to/faq/playback
>>
>>123771175
>only downloaded good Bluray encodes i.e. coalgirls
heh
>>
>>123771691
Good, not great. Though I'm unsure of your quarrel with coalgirls' encodes. Is that just a meme?
>>
>>123771943
>Is that just a meme?
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/108150/picture:1
>>
>>123768221
>For one, a great deal of windows users are using mpc-hc for some unknown reason.
Does it have anything to do with the fact that it's the best player on windows?
>>
>>123772209
What would you suggest? Streaming or VLC?

le epic frogface.jpg
>>
>tfw daiz too busy shilling fakkku to post in threads like this one
>>
File: 1427953816090.gif (519KB, 221x199px) Image search: [Google]
1427953816090.gif
519KB, 221x199px
>>123772467
Read >>123771259

And have some pouting miku instead of smug pepe
>>
>>123768221
>implying newfags use the wiki
>>
>>123772514
I saw him posting on encoding thread couple days ago trying to defend 10 bit from h265
>>
>>123772209
>froge
Fuck off.
>>
>>123772017
I've never noticed poor detail retention with coalgirls encodes to that extent, though their encodes are slightly "softer" looking. Are they attempting some obscure debanding with avisynth or something? Have you any more examples of this or maybe their x264 settings?
>>
>>123772017
Is that even a BD encode?
>>
>>123773524
To Kristen it is
>>
>>123768221
so what makes opus more desktop appropriate than aac-he and vice versa? cpu usage?
>>
>>123774975
Opus is a superior codec at sub 96kbps bitrates, however is not supported by very many of the default video players on mobile platforms. HE-AAC is supported by all major default mobile video players I am aware of, and I believe has hardware decoding capabilities on major platforms too, unlike opus.
>>
>>123768221
Is there a better alternative to VLC for Linux?
>>
>>123775308
Why the fuck would you use such low bitrates for anime? For airing anime, use original broadcast audio, and for BDs either FLAC or high-bitrate AAC.
>>
>>123775533
See, this is why it needs to be on the wiki.

Yes mpv is a far better alternative (provided you use --vo=opengl-hq). Try it out and read the manual. I would not recommend mpv for a pre 2008 intel GPU though and some settings in the opengl-hq preset are incompatible with pre HD Graphics GPUs due to the reliance upon newer opengl versions.
>>
>>123772526
You're fucking retarded.

1. You're listening to coalgirls
2. You're using KCP
>>
>>123775308
Ah, duh. I didn't think that out logically. I have a windows tablet for when I'm on the go so if mpv can play it I don't exactly care if other platforms support it (though I would love opus to thrive).

>>123775533
anyone will tell you mpv but it's up to you if you care enough to switch.

>>123775718
Try converting some music from lossless to opus 64 and 128 kbps and see how easily you can tell the difference between the three.
>>
>>123775718
Why would anyone use he-aac at >128kbps bitrates?
If you want the smallest possible filesizes (e.g. for coutryside/3rd world weeaboos) you'll have to utilise high efficiency codecs at low bitrates. Just as if computational intensity is not of concern you would to a very low bitrate x265+opus encode. Presently a great deal of x265 encodes look worse than they should not exclusively due to the immaturity of the codec, but due to the fact people are transcoding from non-BD sources, like simulcast rips. Opus (and HE-AAC for that matter) often sound far inferior to how they should as the source files are already lossless transcoded to ac3 transcoded to 128kbps AAC-LC; only suffer further loss of audio fidelty.
A 10-bit x265 placebo-optimised encode with opus audio both at a very low bitrate is a highly viable solution for the context
>>
>>123770757
>what system are you running?
Laptop
Win8.1
4 GB RAM

I had the same problem with my other two laptops; a Win7 (4 GB) and Win8 (5 GB).
>>
>>123776104
Size of lossy audio is negligible compared to decently looking video. Might as well use slightly higher bitrate to make sure it will be transparent.

>>123776112
>HE-AAC
Nobody sans few retarded old BD rippers uses that, what are you on about. Or are you talking about some shitty bitrate starved reencodes only watched by retards?
>>
>>123776231
what processor and vram?
>>
>>123776009
Do you even click and read the link?
Coalgirl blatantly recommend mpv
>>
Will kcp blow up my laptop? The impression I get is you need a decent rig to see any benefits. I only have some shitty intel onboard graphics card.
>>
>play Sora no Woto OP with mpvhq with all the placebo options enabled
>juddery
>play it with madVR
>silky smooth
Maybe it's better on Linux, but there's basically no reason to use it on Windows.
>>
>>123776231
I know a is not particularly tech savvy
But i didn't know that a is this illiterate in technology
>>
>>123772526
Have a better one
>>
>>123776606
Intel core i3-4030U (1.9 GHz)
vram = 1792 MB
>>
>>123768221
They're using MPC-HC because CCCP comes with MPC-HC.
>>
>>123776957
thank you
saved
>>
>>123777024
Any haswell cpu will ship with a more Than ample GPU for running mpv with the opengl-hq preset enabled, download a windows build and in the folder called mpv make a file called mpv.conf with the line "vo=opengl-hq" that would be all that is necessary, and it'll look better too. I can't fathom as to why vlc freezes your PC though with those specs
>>
>>123777024
with hasswell cpu you can easily play mpv with vo=opengl-hq
-download pre compiled mpv binary http://mpv.srsfckn.biz/
-extract, open your notepad and type this : "vo=opengl-hq" without quotation mark
-Save as mpv.conf on extracted mpv directory (make sure it's "all files" not "text document")
-drag your video files to mpv.exe
Done
You can set file association (right-click-open with..) so you can double click video files next time
Ok i think that was wasy enough to understand
>>
>>123778040
kek; beat you by 10 seconds
File associations should be made as systemwide defaults by the batch script on the page distributing the binaries
>>
>>123777365
There is no advantage to using CCCP over modern MPC-HC really given it ships with LAV by default now.
CCCP still functions in an inferior manner to mpv regardless and should not be the primary recommendation in modern times.
>>
>>123778222
I forgot that the latest binary provide cmd batch to set file association since i compile directly from git master now
Well now it's even easier
>>
>>123776769
How obscure, I've found it to be far more efficient than madVR. Are you sure you were using comparable configurations with both applications. mpv's tscale can be more computationally intensive due to the sampling algorithms used.
>>
>>123778630
when compared to madVR's smoothmotion that is.
>>
>>123768815
I did
>>
>>123779979
As would many others if it contained more than mere recommendations but answers to the less board discussion suited questions.
>>
>>123769452
>The highest preset uses 2 tap Jinc with AR for both chroma and image upscaling. If that's not placebo then I don't know what is.
It’s really not. Elliptical filters do wonders against aliasing on diagonal lines, and on some samples chroma scaling is even more important than luma scaling.

I have no idea what radius "2 tap" corresponds to though.
>>
>>123768221
>the wiki

I thought the /a/ wiki was taken over by MAL/reddit long ago
>>
Because /a/ is mainly content consumers who don't need to know this shit.
Obviously sub groups already have the relevant materials.
>>
>>123784355
But content consumers should at least know what is the best content available for their needs amd how best to watch it with their given hardware and needs.
>>
>>123781773
I don't think it is even an option, and the tripfag defines placebo as computationally intensive quality optimisations, not imperceptible optimisations.
>>
>>123781773
I'm pretty certain 3 tap corresponds to radius 3.238 though, given that seems to be default for other applications of the sampling algorithm.
>>
How long have x265 encodes of 20 minute footage under the veryslow preset taken?
>>
>>123768221
>wiki
You mean the /g/ wiki?
I thinks it's dead.
Anyway the mpv placebo
vo=opengl-hq:pbo:lscale=spline36:cscale=spline36:scaler-resizes-only:dither-depth=8:temporal-dither
hwdec=dxva2-copy
autofit-larger=90%x90%
geometry=50%:50%
>>
>>123786696
You really should look into the opengl-hq preset, you've quite a few redundant additions there. And no, I mean the animu and mango wiki, not too technical just enough so people use the right software, configs and choose the right encodes. I reckon portable device transcodes should get a say too.
>>
>>123786696
Also what does lscale denote? I don't recognise it. Is it a swanky new haasn addition?
>>
>>123786696
That config is old and deprecated.
>>
>Encoding
I'm interested in that.
I'd like to compress and make these mini encode with file size ~70 MB.
how do I do that in ffmpeg?
>>
>>123768221
What's the screenshot from?
>>
>>123786937
>>123786993
>>123787062
This is config for the old build of mpv, old laptop with mpv can play up to 720p anymore and I have to switch to VO=XV.
I'm using this on my DV6 HP laptop
vo=opengl-hq:pbo:srgb:dither-depth=6:temporal-dither:scaler-resizes-only
>>
>>123768221
I'd like some info about this, I could never understand encoding and video quality.
>>
>>123787791
Seconding this.
I asked this a few times on /g/ and nobody answered me sufficiently.
>mini encode
What sorcery they use to create those?
>>
>>123787243
what resolution are you looking at? If you want high efficiency (acceptable quality at minute filesizes) with an anime source you ought to be using x265 and you ought to have at least an FX8350 lest you wait a week for a decent encode. To produce good encodes really does take decent understanding of the codecs and minor comprehension of signal processing, hence a full blown guide beyond transcoding for your iphone's default player just wouldn't be appropriate. If you have a sincere interest check out doom9.
>>
>>123787926
>>123787243
In short placebo tuning with x264 or x265 using a 10-bit bitdepth and a high efficiency audio codec like opus or more commonly HE-AAC
>>
>>123787926
>What sorcery they use to create those?
It's simple, you sacrifice any semblance of quality.
>>
>>123788041
480p with x264.
>>123788136
How to do that?
A comprehensive guide is greatly appreciated.
Specifically for ffmpeg.
>>123788209
It looks fine to me.
>>
>>123787586
try configuring it to use mitchell for downscaling and chroma upscaling for >720p content. Or is it merely CPU-side?
>>
>>123788249
It's Pentium 3 running arch
>>
>>123788244
>It looks fine to me.
There are many people with fucked up eyesight around.
>>
>>123788244
How good is your PC? How long will you leave you PC at high CPU utilisation for? Why ffmeg?
>>
>>123768221
>Why doesn't the wiki have a page on this?
Nobody cares to update it because no body gives a shit about newfags unlike other boards.
>>
>>123788318
I watch it on TV.
And I've tried different releases.
While it's true there is a difference it's not that big and barely recognizable from 10 ft.
>>
>>123788295
You are my new circumstance to substantiate my claims of mpv's great efficiency. How on earth are you managing 720p on that?
>>
>>123788337
It's better than answering the same questions all the time; and it gets folks to cease using /g/ as tech support.
>>
>>123788332
Core i7, maybe an hour for each episode?
Because I'm already on linux and this is the only one that gave more options than handbreak sadly it doesn't have a GUI also I need it for the mpv LUA script to create WebM.
>>
>>123788599
>an hour
You will be in blocky hell. Also merely stating an i7 doesn't disclose much about the cpu power you have access to. It could be a ULV component or 1st gen for all I know.
>>
>>123788450
LXDE, the Nvidia GPU really help with the propriety drivers.
Even though it does play it shit itself whenever ass subs are used.
1080p causes A/V desync at higher bitrate, and 10Bit is CPU meltdown cause.
>>
File: 1420711922876.jpg (77KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1420711922876.jpg
77KB, 1280x720px
>>123788739
Sorry I'm not that tech savvy so I don't know.
Does it really matter?
Also I mainly want to use it to re-encode some videos that are 500MB in size to something smaller since they're about 12 min long.
>>
>>123789029
If you aren't tech savvy then do some maths, if your files are 12 minutes
(720 seconds) long and you want them to be 70MB in size (which is 560Mbits) then set your software for a 2-pass encode with an average bitrate of (560/720) MBits per second or better put 778kbps. It would be useful to reduce the image resolution too if your playback system can capably upscale. To make sure you get the most from the filesize set it to veryslow encoding and use animation tuning. For the audio just transcode it if it's FLAC to 86 kbps opus or HE-AAC depending upon whether your playback setup is compatible with opus or not
>>
>>123789776
and if you're not tech savvy use handbrake as a gui frontend to x264
>>
>>123789826
If you aren't tech savvy, then slapping a GUI frontend on something doesn't change the fact that you have no idea what you're doing.
>>
>>123789911
it makes it easier to configure the options.
Also ffmpeg have GUI.
>>
>>123789911
But it certainly makes executing the prior instructions easier. Also GUI applications tell you what you're doing via hovering often.
>>
>fill HDD with 10-bit yuv420p decode of a chinese cartoon to test x265 encoder
>Delete one of my OS partitions to accommodate
>Discover ffmpeg has libx265 compatibility
;_;
>>
Actually is anyone distributing up-to-date ffmpeg+libx265 builds?
>>
File: tumblr_nhu0n4SdZT1tuxb63o3_1280.png (446KB, 720x1920px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nhu0n4SdZT1tuxb63o3_1280.png
446KB, 720x1920px
Why not just buy the blue ray disc and use a blue ray player. Almost all japanese blue ray have english and french subtitles in them.
>>
>>123791496
Because that's expensive as fuck and you have to import them?
>>
>>123791496
gr8 b8 m8;
1) blu-ray
2) oversharpened, limited rgb, incorrect colours
3) no they don't
EX) Blu-rays have AACS which makes watching them in high quality via PC difficult to say the least.
>>
I just use smplayer. I double click the file and it runs. I don't know if I have to learn how to watch anime more good.
>>
File: 1428314743857.png (53KB, 600x550px) Image search: [Google]
1428314743857.png
53KB, 600x550px
>>123791705
yeah man this is bait sorry man. I have no idea what I'm talking about. I couldn't get one pass the great detective anon. I guess I'll just throw away all my jap anime blu rays out in the trash where they belong.
Thread posts: 118
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.