[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is G Reco really as bad as you guys say it is? It can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 19

File: g reco.jpg (162KB, 640x905px) Image search: [Google]
g reco.jpg
162KB, 640x905px
Is G Reco really as bad as you guys say it is? It can't possibly be as bad as Aldnoah.Zero.
>>
>>>/r/
Watch and find out yourself
>>
>>123725069
How the fuck is this /r/?
>>
It is, just in a different way
>>
File: 13966880430168.png (38KB, 249x230px) Image search: [Google]
13966880430168.png
38KB, 249x230px
>>
>>123724992
It's better than Aldnoah Zero, but still worse than at least 50% of Tomino anime.

Zambot 3 is still the best deconstruction of the mecha genre he did.
>>
File: bright burger time.jpg (50KB, 302x413px) Image search: [Google]
bright burger time.jpg
50KB, 302x413px
>>123724992
Enjoyment depends on how much you can pay attention.

G Reco delivers 'realistic' dialogue in the sense that conversations sound natural, and the characters know what they're talking about with each other - this comes at the cost of not hand holding the viewer with exposition. If you can keep on top of what's going on you should have fun.

If you've seen Zeta or Victory, expect it to have a similar approach to storytelling but with the kill 'em all toned down.
>>
Tomino is old and busted, GReco confirmed it.
Fukuda is the future of Sunrise.
>>
>>123725205
Requesting for opinions is the same as asking for recommendations
>>
G Reco lacked impact. Not a single scene truly felt as if it mattered.
>>
>>123725398

This cunt is a fucking lying piece of shit. By realistic he meant the characters doesn't over react, even in situation that they really should have a huge reaction. You can have a character who talks like a complete retard, suddenly talks normally and no one say anything about it, no one gives a fuck and they just fucking accept it.

It is a shameless toy commercial that just keep pumping out new factions and new robots. Faggots keep saying PAY ATTENTION. That is like saying pay attention in a long winded boring speech.
>>
File: tee hee.jpg (15KB, 184x214px) Image search: [Google]
tee hee.jpg
15KB, 184x214px
>>123725437
>asking for opinions on something /a/ discussed goes to /r/
>>
File: alfred_izruha_2204.jpg (39KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
alfred_izruha_2204.jpg
39KB, 225x350px
>>123725398
>conversations sound natural
Thanks for the laugh, asshole.
Yeah, when me and my friends chat, we usually also talk exclusively in stiff exposition.
>>
They were both bad in different ways.
>>
>>123725745
Weren't you fuckheads constantly complaining about NOT ENOUGH exposition?
>>
File: CB-b4fFUoAE2okx.png:large.png (697KB, 1024x1054px) Image search: [Google]
CB-b4fFUoAE2okx.png:large.png
697KB, 1024x1054px
For me it is one of the best and funniest Gundam.
>>
>>123725745
That's Aldnoah you're describing there.

>>123725582
It sounds like you didn't even watch the show. The deaths had major impacts, and Raraiya recovering from Tem Ray syndrome was a pretty big deal for the characters.

The point is, they don't spout exposition for the benefit of the viewer. The viewer is more like an eavesdropper who has to piece things together themselves.
>>
>>123724992
it has 2d robutts, what more could you ask for?
>>
File: 0suiZO4.gif (305KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
0suiZO4.gif
305KB, 250x188px
This is one thing that I really want to see dubbed just to hear the VA's struggle with the clusterfucked script.
>>
>>123726029
Not me.

>>123726213
It's both actually.
The difference is that A/Z has designated exposition characters, meanwhile G-R has everyone vomiting trivia at each other at the slightest provocation.
>>
>>123726029
They usually spout the useless kind of exposition that isn't really relevant to the plot, or reveal info way after it would have actually been useful to know.
>>
It's pretty mediocre but I gave it a 6/10 just for the cool world building and artstyle.
>>
>Raraiya recovering from Tem Ray syndrome was a pretty big deal for the characters.

>10 Episodes withouth being able to say nothing but "Chuchumi".
>Suddently she starts talking like a normal person.
>Nobody is surprised she's healed and act like she was always able to talk.

This show was retarded.

>Oh that space pirate is going to steal our new overpowered as fuck Mobile Suit
>Let's help her and become a hostage.

Once in the "pirate" ship he's like one more member of the fucking crew even after he killed that guy on the 1st episode.
>>
>>123724992
It's better than Aldnoah but that isn't saying much considering how bad Aldnoah/Zero is in just about every department.

It suffers in pacing, execution and dialogue. Everything else is decent enough. The dialogue flows in a way that you have to piece things together based on context rather than straight up info dumps(only true for the first half, second half is almost nothing but exposition you'd have to be brain damaged not to be able to follow it). The pacing is fast as hell it's like a 50 episode show having each episode chopped in half. Main characters development is subtle and seen more through action than him whining about it, checks his rifle to make sure it works properly, goes for disarms, gets hysterical after being told his love interest is his sister, sometimes kills grunts with long range fire when forced to, refuses to use OP shit, gets tired of war, the end. Also it's an adventure not a war drama, so the main draw would be the set pieces and overall world it takes place in.

The atmosphere is comfy as hell from start to finish(which is odd because even Turn A had tension), the show spends episode after episode reminding you that these people(being fucking everyone) are completely green when it comes to warfare so general fuckingaround, comedic screw ups and people just not knowing how things work is the rule of thumb.

It looks good and a break from the now generic space nazi and UC gundam rehashes is a nice(and well needed) change of pace for Gundam but it's a unremarkably average show.

>>123728577
Her speech was getting better until the Dorette fleet was introduced. Then she got that big ass headache and became lucid again.
The crew underestimated him since Capital Guard is not a military, they're linesmen. Cumpa Rosita the man orchestrating this entire thing let them go to mobilize his army. MC follows the crew around to get info as he suspects(and is right) that they aren't really space pirates. This is cleared up by episode 4.
>>
File: 1421464587765.jpg (423KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1421464587765.jpg
423KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>123724992
I think G-Reco's a great show. Certainly not flawless (more on that later), but more often than not misunderstood by modern anime watchers who have no tolerance for Tomino's "80s" directing style (slow but deliberate worldbuilding, explaining things via offhand dialogue rather than obvious exposition, no long "angsty" silences, no over-the-top "epic" emotional moments, etc.).

G-Reco is straight-up, pure 80s mecha, but done with modern animation. Because of that, most its qualities are misinterpreted as "bad writing", when in fact it's the audiences' inability to grasp many of its subtleties through the right frame of mind.

Now, before I sound (any more) like a shill for this show, let me point out its ACTUAL main flaw:
The pacing is very, very rushed (Tomino even admitted this in the post-show interviews). Each episode is crammed to the gills with information about the world/characters, but there's very little time to take it all in. Mind you, all the development is there, but it will probably take you more than one watch to catch it. It's not "bad writing", more precisely "bad entertainment".

With that said, G-Reco definitely feels unique amongst nearly all modern anime of the past decade. Whether you'll enjoy it, however, is something I strongly advise you to form your own opinion about.
>>
>>123725437
>requesting for opinions is the same as asking for recommendations

The fuck do we talk about then? Every post is an opinion asking for an opinionated response.

Maybe you should go back to /r/. I hear the other two posters are lonely.
>>
File: 1395605969814.jpg (162KB, 1058x705px) Image search: [Google]
1395605969814.jpg
162KB, 1058x705px
Nobody called the G-self Gundam in the god damn series.
>>
File: g word one.jpg (65KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
g word one.jpg
65KB, 1280x720px
>>123729223
>>
File: g word two.jpg (110KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
g word two.jpg
110KB, 1920x1080px
>>123729223
And
>>
>>123724992
It's a lot better than AZ but again, what isn't?
>>
File: bonus n word drop.jpg (74KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
bonus n word drop.jpg
74KB, 1280x720px
>>123729223
Bonus round!
>>
>>123726694
I actually want to see it dubbed to gain a proper appreciation for this show. From what I've heard, the dialogue in G-Reco makes 99% more sense to native Japanese speakers.

Considering the sub script is obnoxiously literal almost to the point of discarding all English grammar, I have no doubt that this is perhaps the case.
>>
File: G-Saviourposter.jpg (33KB, 332x475px) Image search: [Google]
G-Saviourposter.jpg
33KB, 332x475px
>>123729223
Certainly not the first time.
>>
>>123725398
This anon gets it.

It frustrates the viewer without providing easy answers; at the same time, it is realistic and honest because of its attention to the harsh truths of the world. In real life, not everything works out perfectly. G-Reco recognizes this grim fact and turns it into a riveting, artistic, heartbreaking examination of conflict, war and human relationships.

G-Reco is not only socially-relevant and important, but also brilliantly acted and written. The complexity of each character makes it difficult to make easy distinctions between "good" and "bad," which is a remarkable feat in any medium, and even more remarkable given the polarized times that we live in, and anime's tendency to "dumb-down" shows with overt-dialog, flashy editing and melodramatic background music.

G-Reco has done something that has never been done before on anime. It has taken a look at a conflict between different groups of people, and done so in a manner that brings about understanding, and feelings of compassion for all the characters involved. Rather than moralizing, and encouraging the viewers to root for one side over the other, G-Reco encourages the viewer to take the wider view, and be disturbed by the tragedy of all the characters being involved in the conflict in the first place.
>>
>>123729484
Hmm, still doesn't explain why that one anime critic-pope slammed the show.
>>
>>123728577
>Once in the "pirate" ship he's like one more member of the fucking crew even after he killed that guy on the 1st episode.
I'd be madder if they had some forced drama between some faggot and Bellri over Cahill dying. In the show pretty much everyone recognized that he was hasty in trying to get his woman back and died because of it. The only person who didn't get over it was Aida initially.
>>
>>123729663
People actually read/watch anime reviews? As in this isn't just some neckbeard with a camera going "my taste is objectively the best and if everything doesn't immediately pander to me its shit"
>>
>>123729613
You make it sound like the show had enough time to develop and make you care about all the characters.

Which it clearly did not.

Flowery language is not going to save this show from truthful critics.
>>
>>123729668

I'm not talking about drama...I'm talking about nobody giving a fuck about Bell killing him. Not even bad look for the kid that killed their comrade.
>>
It's not amazing and there's plenty of problems, but considering all but two or three mecha shows in the last 20 years have been unwatchable garbage, it could easily be mecha of the decade unless the upcoming J9 series is going to be as good as the old ones next year.

The show was drop dead sexy, the ridiculous pacing made for better entertainment except for the ending, and Bellri didn't cry bitch tears about snuffing anyone. Sure, he replayed (or at least attempted to) the stomach-churning "no-killing" song and dance once again and the show would be ten times better without it, but since he never cried about it or went around holding a sermon on the battlefield while screaming at the top of his lungs for everyone to stop, he was only around 1/200th as annoying as Kira Yamato, placing him at just barely tolerable levels.
>>
>>123725398
>in the sense that conversations sound natural
Lots of it sounds like casual, irrelevant talk. For mixed result.
>>
>>123729613
It's still shit, faggot.
>>
>>123729663
I honestly doubt he watched it past the first episode. Even then, he probably at least understood what the characters were saying/implying (there's apparently a lot of political jabs at the Japanese government in G-Reco), which is more than we're getting from the slightly-above-crabstick-quality subs.
>>
>>123724992
No, it's not as terribad as /a/z/ but it's pretty disappointing for a project with so many big names attached to it.

Just remember, it's not actually a sequel to UC but another AU.
>>
>>123729613
You are retarded
>>
>>123729741
Nah, some jap dude.
Apparently he's their Ebert of anime or something.
>>
>>123729996
>it's not actually a sequel to UC but another AU
Enjoy your head canon. It was officially confirmed by Sunrise as the sucessor timeline to UC before the series began.
>>
My biggest problem with it was how, while character motivations were understandable, it was pretty much just taking it at face value instead of having any scenes that named it up.

Like how Luin fucking hates Bell's guts in the second half, because he might become a dictator or some shit, but their interaction has only ever been in combat, or their scenes in the first few episodes where they were actually pretty good buddies. Also talks about how everyone looks down on the Kuntala, but when sites that ever actually happen in the show aside from one or two lines?
>>
File: 1427544751368.jpg (237KB, 1631x719px) Image search: [Google]
1427544751368.jpg
237KB, 1631x719px
>>123730413
Luin hates Bell because he's the Homer Simpson to his Frank Grimes.
>>
>>123730705
Scarily accurate and better than all the sjw/tumblr comparisons.
>>
>>123730413
>Like how Luin fucking hates Bell's guts in the second half
Nope, rewatch the first half, Luin's failures are all Bellri's fault, and this hurts his pride.
The end is just Luin exploding and losing to his pride, much like Char and Amuro, only that this time it was completely one-sided and closer to Tomino's original Char.
>>
>>123724992
They're both bad, but a different kind of bad.

A/Z takes itself very seriously but the plot relies too much on shock value instead of actual writing, which made the whole thing forgettable past the first cour.

G-Reco is pretty much the opposite, it has an intriguing universe and promising story but the characters acted like ADHD patients with dialogues full of poop jokes and that awful Tomino directing which made it unwatchable.

I'm quite depressed to admit that Kinght of Sidonia is te only worthwile mecha that came out lately.
>>
>>123731394
I thought Char only started to hate Amuro after Lalah?
>>
>>123724992
Look, the story isn't great and the dialogue is very wishy washy (it's Tomino's style), but the series has some amazing action, gorgeous mobile suits, SOME great characters and the overal vibe is very uplifting. It's a fun show, not a good show, but a fun show. And I enjoy fun.
>>
File: Char being a Kuntala.jpg (328KB, 960x2160px) Image search: [Google]
Char being a Kuntala.jpg
328KB, 960x2160px
>>123732370
Yes and no.
>>
File: laughing sunrise.jpg (47KB, 641x480px) Image search: [Google]
laughing sunrise.jpg
47KB, 641x480px
>>123725431
>Fukuda is the future of Sunrise.
>>
At first I thought the G-self looked childish, but then in many of the shots the lighting and the angles made it look demonic and menacing, not to mention that it is curbstomping everything thrown at it.

It really has grown on me especially witht he perfect backpack.
>>
It's worse than Aldnoah Zero, Valvrave, and Guilty Crown combined.
>>
>>123731845
> Kinght of Sidonia is the only worthwile mecha that came out lately.
>not watching Fafner Exodus
It's not your fault. Nobody watched Fafner.
>>
>>123732958
Your shit taste got confirmed.
>>
>>123730705
Bellri looks more like Philip J. Fry from Futurama in this pic.
>>
>>123733009
It's a shame that a gem such as Exodus isn't getting the attention it deserves. I'm still amazed by how good it is.
>>
Don't get the point. It's Turn A-lite.
>>
>>123730705
>Creates ghosts
>Deflects beams with hand
>Takes beam saber to face
So he's the standard issue newtype protagonist?
>>
>>123724992
In my opinion, it was worse because it had no story to tell. Aldnoah had issues but it told a story. Reco had only the issue to sell new gunpla. I don't mind that, but it is weird that Tomino supposedly ragequitted fron the victory gundam project because Bandai wanted him to make new gunplas then 20 years later he made the biggest toy commercial ever.
>>
>>123733600
>Aldnoah had issues but it told a story
Yeah, a story about Mars poor population. Oh, wait, we haven't seen them at all.
What was A.Z's story about?
>>
>>123733600
Do people just not pay attention anymore when they claim there's no story? I mean, there's a lot of issues with the story, but to just say that none exists just proves how retarded you are.
>>
I'm the only one pissed because Bell survived the last episode because a fucking random eagle exploded in Luin's mobile suit's face?
>>
>>123733680
What was G-reco's story about? A warmonger concocts a war because lol. Then he dies and the status quo remained the same.
>>
>>123733680
NTR leading to yaoi dungeon sex
>>123733600
Honestly, I wasn't particularly invested in G-Reco and got lost with the plot about halfway through, because I wasn't paying attention but even I understood that it was about a bunch of factions all wanting Earth and batteries in order to further their positions, and then just about all of them getting BTFO by Megafauna+Klim & Mick, who survived the space battles and befriended the battery-providers.
>>
>>123733680
>What was AZ about?
Slaine

G-Reco was supposed to tell a story about tensai Klim but we barely saw him
>>
>>123733933
It was an adventure, during which MC and his gang discovered the truth about the world they live in. Now they can work to make it a better place instead of following what the older generations say, because they have finally seen places from all around the world and made their own opinion about it.

What was A.Z story about though? Because as far as I remember it ended up where the first episode started, and all the 22 episodes in between are pretty much a filler.
>>
>>123734113
>It was an adventure

That's great, but no one's wants to watch eurotrip or jojo's when watching Gundam. And to introduce Venus as a faction and their biggest role is being good plumbers is the biggest blue balls ever.
>>
It's confusing, the editing in the beginning is crap and all the dialogue is wooden, save for few scenes. Nevertheless, I greatly enjoyed g-reco and thought it was worth the effort. Just remember to read the /m/ guides for this show.
>>
>>123733153
Because Fry is much closer to Bellri in terms of age.
>>
I liked it but the fanbase convinced me to give up on /m/ for good.
>>
File: 1421984664536.png (4MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1421984664536.png
4MB, 1920x1080px
>>123734198
I want to fuck Barara in the ass but I feel like she would make fun of me.
>>
>>123730413
>but their interaction has only ever been in combat

Isn't that enough?
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.