[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the edgiest anime of all time, and why is it Blood-C?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 11

File: bunny.gif (1MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
bunny.gif
1MB, 400x225px
What is the edgiest anime of all time, and why is it Blood-C?

What is the edgiest manga?
>>
>>123265458
I still reckon Elfen Lied was edgier.
>>
Blood-C was too goofy and hideously poor in its execution to be the edgiest, but I can't off the top of my head think of something edgier. Mnemosyne, I guess, but it's pretty silly as well, and way more deliberate about it.
>>
>>123265487
For manga, probably Vengeance Classroom.
>>
Was it actually censored like that when it aired?
>>
Mirai Nikki
>>
>>123265458
Too hilarious to be edgy.

>That one student who was smart enough to escape the school dies because Saya crashed into some window glass.

It was the comedy of that year.
>>
>>123265841
No, you'll never see that particular type of censor effect in a cartoon unless something's censored for comedic effect.

Plus I just remember it not being censored.
>>
>>123265571
Mnemosyne isn't deliberately edgy, it just fails at everything it hopes to achieve, so the only adjective left to describe it is "edgy."

Still one of my favorites though
>>
Blood-C is stupid.
>>
>>123265458
I don't know, Genocyber is pretty damn edgy
>>
>>123265950
>The villain just wanted to make Saya new food and bone her.
Definitely stupid.

I can't blame the Extras for being stupid since they were lied to about their own protection against the Elder Bairns.
>>
>>123265925
I meant it's more deliberate about being silly. It's pointless, trashy tits-and-violence and doesn't take itself remotely seriously, which is what makes it enjoyable.
>>
File: img000031.png (646KB, 726x1033px) Image search: [Google]
img000031.png
646KB, 726x1033px
For manga, Yakushoku Distpiari - Gesellschaft Blume is doing pretty well at trying to be as edgy as possible.
>>
File: but how.png (72KB, 1325x420px) Image search: [Google]
but how.png
72KB, 1325x420px
I think blood-c is sickdark of them all.
>>
Oregairu is definitely more "edgy", it's meant for edgy teens with dissatisfying school lives so they can self-insert as the edgy MC and feel better about themselves. Blood-C is just very violent to the point it's campy.
>>
>>123266046
This would have been my contender before that time traveling rapist thing got posted repeatedly a few days ago, and now >>123265822 is rapidly climbing the ranks as I read it.
>>
File: 1891891891.jpg (479KB, 1680x1181px) Image search: [Google]
1891891891.jpg
479KB, 1680x1181px
Attack on Vore and Angst
>>
Wasn't Wolfsmund mostly terrible things happening to nice people?
>>
What the fuck constitutes edgy?

Does it have to be dark? A plot which you disagree with? A character whose thoughts differ from the norm?
>>
File: Cute Zombie Baby.jpg (371KB, 869x1302px) Image search: [Google]
Cute Zombie Baby.jpg
371KB, 869x1302px
>>123265458
Edgy stuff always seems more comedic than serious to me.
>>
>>123266155
And how does that make it edgy?
>>
I have no prior context to this series or this show but I felt nauseous watching the lion scene with the villains and the rabbits invading the town scene.

I suppose the edgiest would be Hellsing, although I do enjoy the little implications of larger organizations at times.
>>
fate zero
madoka
psycho pass
>>
>>123266163
"Cutting edge", as in it does something that could be counted as progressive for its genre because it breaks the norms, but for 4chan it means "it has dark themes".
>>
>>123266090
What. Were we watching the same show? The whole point of Oregairu is that Hachiman is a dumb nigger who needs to get over himself.
>>
>>123265841
>>123265902
Yeah, it was. Blu-ray was uncensored though
>>
>>123266155
Yeah, but those things really happened - or happened to real people, so it's not a product of an edgy mind.

>>123266163
Nowadays, when /a/ says something is edgy it usually means that cute girls die unnecessarily.

Or something that looks like it'll be popular with death metalfags.
>>
>>123265458
>What is the edgiest manga?

a clown rapes a mother and her daughter on their dead dads grave in akame la edge
>>
Edgiest manga I can think of off the top of my head is Gantz.
>>
>>123266190
well for me 'edgy' is a sort of trend or behavior that just causes emotional dissonance towards its audience.
>>
>>123266119
>that time traveling rapist thing got posted repeatedly a few days ago

Right, I had forgotten about that.
>>
>>123266201
Fucking pointless

At this point everything is edgy.

>character does something outrageous
EDGY
>death in plot
EDGY
>blood
EDGY
>emotions
EDGY
>>
Glasslip.
>>
>>123266222
But that's clearly a joke, it even has the clown for a punchline.
>>
>>123266222
yeah but akame la edge has a small amount of people to edge with
Gantz edges out the entire damn universe.
>>
>>123266131
>Attack on Bore
fixed
>>
>>123265458
Tokyo Ghoul
>>
>>123266201
People called fucking Death Parade edgy. Literally anything that isn't moe shit is edgy here
>>
>>123266219
I'm fine with "metal" images of satanic self-sacrifice, but when moe girls gets raped and beheaded, that's stupidly "edgy".
>>
>>123265855
Seriously. MC decapitates a bunch of orphans with no remorse.
>>
Cromartie.
>>
>>123266271
>joking about rape

even edgier
>>
>>123266219
>when /a/ says something is edgy it usually means that cute girls die unnecessarily
This is a good rule of thumb
>>
>>123266295
>but when moe girls gets raped and beheaded

That's your definition of edgy? If it was regular people being raped and beheaded it'd be okay?
>>
>>123266282
Edgy means unnecessarily dark. You can have dark themes and elements in a good story.

However, when they are thrown in just to seem serious or mature, that's edgy.

Ex.
Akame ga Kill is edgy as fuck.
Darker than Black is not edgy, it has serious themes.
>>
>>123266282
Meanwhile, you're doing the exact opposite.
Stop using the term 'moe shit'.
It means nothing, and makes you look like a crossboarder.
>>
>>123266330
At some point how edgy a manga is starts to depend on how gratuitous the murder-rape is.

Most people wouldn't consider a realistic war manga featuring rape and murder as edgy as a manga where a guy decides to rape and murder all of his female classmates for funsies.
>>
File: Attack on Baby Maeda Bokor.png (277KB, 448x700px) Image search: [Google]
Attack on Baby Maeda Bokor.png
277KB, 448x700px
Dark = Edgy

That's how humans see it because Dark = Evil an Light and Sunshines with no edge = Good.

It's just mankind trying to continue the eternal battle between Good vs Evil.
>>
>>123266348
> Darker than Black is not edgy
The OP is.

>>123265822
Just read this. Jesus christ, it wins.
>>
>>123266330
Eh, regular people in war, I guess? Then I'd just see it as like... Berserk dark.

"Edgy" anime would go out of their way to 'surprise' the audience.
>>
>>123266377
I don't see this as edgy because it's humorous as hell and it's more of a What the Fuck Did I Just Read kind of manga.
>>
>>123266248
The people in those threads seemed to think it was high quality writing, which made it even better.
>>
>>123266377
This post is edgy
>>
>>123266393
>hating HOWLING
Shit taste
>>
>>123266348
>Edgy means unnecessarily dark
No it doesn't. The definition of "edgy" is pretty much the same as "avant garde".
>>
>>123266419
I've seen some people call it edgy. Not here, but elsewhere. It still gets a chuckle out of me because it's so goofy with the zombies.
>>
>>123266452
The word edgy gets even more overused outside of here.
>>
>>123266452
>those weird seal zombies
>zombies combine into giant baby
>Bokor does weird shit
>zombie kid kicks ass with a knife
I don't think the author knows where he's going with this anymore.
>>
>>123266439
I didn't say I hated it. It's a nice song, but "NOW I'VE LOST IT I KNOW I CAN KILL" is a really fucking edgy way to start your show.
>>
Edginess, to me at least, is tied to immaturity. In theory, clown rapists can be not edgy, but that's up to presentation and contex.
>>
>>123266393
The best part about the whole thing is how all Ayana wants to do originally is spread misery, before things go completely and utterly to shit.

Somebody should make a side story spinoff where the chance at returning everything to normal isn't missed. I'd buy it.
>>
>>123266445
That makes no sense, then you would just call it avant garde. Edgy is with regards to dark themes, too much of them to be exact.
>>
>>123266445
Yeah, and a "dank meme" is a meme that was left out in the rain too long. Words can have multiple uses for multiple contexts.
>>
>>123266445
That may be what it used to mean, but in addition to the old meaning the 'unnecessarily dark' definition is certainly real.

Definitions of phrases change over time etc. etc.
>>
>>123266537
That is the 4chan definition, much like "fujoshit" = anything that has lot of male characters. A haircut can be "edgy", and that has nothing to do with darkness.
>>
>>123266495
Don't forget the Whale Zombie that kills one of the seal zombie. It looks like it didn't even want to eat it and did it to be a dick.
>>
>>123266535
When the one girl decided to climb down the building, my sides split in two.
>>
>>123266513
Fine whatever. But the OP is just the OP, the rest of the show isn't edgy, it's serious, because it uses the dark themes well.
>>
Neither actual online dictionaries nor urbandictionary have anything about edgy equating 'dark'. It's just a 4chan thing.
>>
>>123266163
That's just what it's called when an audience appreciates a work based on how much they think it would upset somebody else. It's meant in reference to the edge of acceptability and pushing of boundaries but it has never worked out that way.
>>
>>123266606
Trying to be serious and presenting itself as a serious show is is still edgy.

It's not a bad thing. Words and phrases change. Not sure why people think the word edgy is bad.
>>
>>123266655
Edgy in the 4chan sense has a definite negative connotation.
>>
>>123266163
The boxart for Sonic Adventure 1.
>>
Akumetsu is edgy, but entertaining nonetheless.
>>
Man, I remember everyone calling Kirito edgy when SAO first aired and being confused as fuck. The guy may have had an emo phase but edgy? I didn't get it.
>>
>>123266348
>Edgy means unnecessarily dark. You can have dark themes and elements in a good story.
>However, when they are thrown in just to seem serious or mature, that's edgy.
This.

Although I should point out that edgy isn't inherently bad. Mnemosyne was already mentioned and it's edgy as fuck, and there's stuff like Black Lagoon that fits neatly in the category as well, but they're edgy for purely sensational purposes. They're pulpy, or analogous to exploitation films.

On the other hand you have shit like Gantz, SnK, and Blood-C try to be Seriously Edgy, which is universally shit.
>>
>>123266714
I think the author's frustration with japanese politics was authentic.
>>
>>123266655
No, if the dark elements serve a good purpose in the story, then it's just serious.

TRYING to be dark just so that people will post attention to the story because they might not otherwise is edgy. There was no need to have that family get raped on their dad's grave by a clown. That was unnecessary and the author was obviously being a tryhard.
>>
>>123266119
>that time traveling rapist thing got posted repeatedly a few days ago

What was the name of the manga?
>>
>>123266445
>No it doesn't. The definition of "edgy" is pretty much the same as "avant garde".

No it fucking isn't, learn to understand what people mean, not what you want the people to mean. The etymology of a word is not what it means, it is what it *used* to mean. Edgy in this context is what it is, and it is not fucking "avant garde", Jesus Christ.
>>
File: book.jpg (68KB, 902x833px) Image search: [Google]
book.jpg
68KB, 902x833px
What exactly is so wrong about a series being "edgy"?
>>
>>123266803
So we're talking about shitposters' definition of "edgy", got it.

Then it doesn't matter what it means, it's just a meaningless buzzword for people who can't give proper arguments.
>>
>>123266046
I love how axe grill loses her leg three pages before he's going to kill her anyway. Absolutely no purpose but to show some shitty gore.
>>
>>123266714
Akemetsu made me cringe with how black-and-white it portrayed politicians. But it was really well-illustrated.
>>
While edgy doesn't necessarily have dark connotations whenever I see/hear it used it generally has at least somewhat aggressive connotations. Comparatively nice things are generally "cutting edge" or "experimental" or even just "weird" before they're edgy.
>>
>>123266840
It doesn't matter whose definition it is, if it's the one that people recognize then it's the relevant definition.
>>
>>123266831
edgy is a /v/ buzzword that has infected /a/ and now everything that's remotely violent or dark is automatically deemed edgy and thus tryhard.
>>
>>123266779
It really didn't serve a purpose at all, not to mention the family and father in question was an important subordinate under one of the most powerful military leaders in akame ga kill. What kind of a fucking stupid ass person would make trouble for that. I'm glad that glorious winged faggot roasted his bones
>>
>>123266845
I've never seen it used that way outside 4chan(unless you count sites like Reddit which are pretty much the same as this place anyway). If you've ever read any kind of magazine/paper, it's still being used in its original context.
>>
>>123266840
No, you're fucking retarded. It has a sense. It is possible to misuse it. It is gratuitous dark elements, often for the sake of being "cool," and usually impossible to take seriously and coming at the expense of other story elements.
>>
>>123266831
Well, people tend to dislike things that are tryhard and the very concept of edgy things is very tryhard no matter what they are doing or explaining. It's a constant self gratification and confirmation of the things those with inflated egos do.
I am literally the son of Satan and I am far superior to any of you, that kind of shit, going against the flow just for the sake of trying to be cool.

Chuuni as fuck.
>>
>>123266831
Have you seen Blood-C?
>>
>>123266892
There is stuff that can accurately be derided as being 'edgy.' But it's mostly used as an excuse to not provide an actual argument or to bait reactions.
Really, there's no point in using 'edgy' because for most legitimately 'edgy' things, you could just give a direct example instead of using memewords.
>>
Tolyo Ghoul, definition of edgy. The MC even wore a "cool" BDSM mask!
>>
>>123266999
>give a direct example
What, so it's bad to say "x is edgy" instead of "x has stuff like y happening," where y is an edgy thing? It's exactly the same.
>>
>>123266801
Jikan Ryokou Goukan, literally "Time Travel Rape"
>>
>>123266732

I think it's the try hard feel of it. They lack self awareness. The darkness doesn't feel authentic, just immature.

Also, most "edgy" media I've seen have an over reliance on shock value, protagonist-centric morality, and society being mostly okay with obviously evil people doing obviously evil things. There's an unwarranted level of cynicism, and everyone's actively a bastard for no real discernibly good reason.
>>
>>123266907
Hard to misuse word that's already being misused, but I do get that this new definition of the term is "anything dark I don't like". Much like anything without action scenes = slice of life/moeshit.
>>
>>123267036
I agree with you, but if you just say "x is edgy" then nobody has any reason to believe you, since edgy is used incorrectly so often.
>>
>>123267036
It's actually not, and if you didn't have the IQ of a third worlder you would realize that explaining why you think something is so, is far more productive and makes more logical sense than to simply state something.
>>
>>123266801
Umareru Kachi no Nakatta Jibun ga Anna no Tame ni Dekiru Ikutsuka no Koto

I forgot the title and had to find it in the archive by searching "rapebaby." Have fun.
>>
>>123266865
Edgy is dark OR mature. Swearing, or people committing crime, or even a lot of violence doesn't qualify as 'dark', but they sure can count as edgy.
>>
Would you consider Tokyo Ghoul edgy?
>>
File: 1412095656937.jpg (71KB, 313x382px) Image search: [Google]
1412095656937.jpg
71KB, 313x382px
>>123266046
>makes friends and fools them just to kill them and level up
>befriends girl, let her fight for him, lets her fall in love with him, fucks her, tells her he'll marry her, lets her get injured, tells her all of it was a lie, makes her cry, and then chops her head off to power up

edgiest bullshit fucking ever. I can just picture the chuuni fuck writing this piece of shit thinking he's making something unique or transgressive.
>>
>>123267120
The definition of edgy
>>
>>123267036
Explaining why you think something is as such is actually completely different than just spewing out a bullshit statement that you probably just heard somewhere else and haven't even put an actual, literal full minute of thought into, because not only does it help reinforce your own beliefs on the subject, it allows other people to understand why you see it that way.
>>
>>123267055
Slice of life isn't a synonym for moeshit. Slice of life is a genre, and the term has no connotations.

>>123267092
> the IQ of a third worlder
M8, India and China (if you still count China) are much smarter than I am.

> explaining why you think something is so, is far more productive and makes more logical sense than to simply state something.

So no one should ever use adjectives to describe something and should use examples instead?
>>
>>123267171
I hope that when you explain something you will also use adjectives.
>>
>>123267154
We're explicitly talking about an example where the term is being used correctly, in which case it gives no extra information to describe it, except maybe if you're talking to someone who hasn't seen the series and doesn't trust your opinion, but that's true of any opinion you might have.
>>
>>123266163
It's supposed to refer to a work which acts out as though it's themes of, say, relentless gore, angst, depression, and so on, make it unique and powerful, but only serve to make it look puerile or childish instead. Like a frustrated teenager writing poetry about flies.

See also Hard Boiled. It's similar.
>>
>>123267171
Learn to read into context, the context of the posts were clearly talking about explaining a term, not using adjectives to add detail. What you just did is called a straw man argument.
>>
>>123267228
No, it was about using the term in question, which is an adjective. Learn to fucking understand others' complaints, you faggot.
>>
>>123267251
If you're using a single adjective to legitimately try to convince someone of your opinion about a show then you're already doing it fucking wrong
>>
>>123267292
Now THAT'S a straw man. It was never specified that we were talking about convincing someone about my opinion, much less doing it with only the word "edgy." We were talking about the word being used as a descriptor, and whether it should be used in circumstances where it applied or should be replaced by examples instead.
>>
>>123267349
Since it's an internet buzzword at this point I believe it would be conclusive that being replaced by examples is the only real route you should take if you are legitimately trying. This clearly doesn't apply if you're a mememaster.
>>
>>123266303
What? I don't remember this.
>>
>>123266090
>it's meant for edgy teens with dissatisfying school lives so they can self-insert as the edgy MC

I never wanted to bang my high school teacher as much as I want Sensei.
>>
berserk by far for both
>>
>>123267584
Nothing edgy about spending half a decade on a boat because the mangaka is too busy playing Idolmaster to draw more chapters.
>>
>>123267349
I think it kind of depends on the circumstances. For example if I were to link a video to a friend and described it as cringeworthy or cringey he'd understand that I mean it caused me to feel second hand embarrassment and was hard to watch.

The word edgy is different though because it's much more up for interpretation, plus since it's a derogatory term idiots will hurl it at anything that has even slightly dark themes just to feel smart. On the flip side when it actually applies people who like the show that's being insulted will cry that it's a buzzword and that the juvenile shit they watch should be taken completely seriously.

And then if you give it up entirely and start giving examples they'll just say it's subjective and that it doesn't matter.

So all in all I'd say never talk to anyone ever because it's a waste of time.
>>
>>123266348
>Akame ga Kill
Takahiro is a fucking hack and everybody who participates in those threads only care about the generic as fuck plot to see if their favorite character /waifu is going to die this month
>>
>>123267820
Kind of like Game of Thrones.
>>
>>123267820
Exactly. That's my point. All of its serious and dark themes are poorly executed, and the entire story comes off as tryhard and infantile. THAT'S why it's edgy.
>>
>>123267820

AKG would've been better without some of the darker shit, like clown rapist or dog. Seriously, at this point, the shock value is just tiresome and trite. Shock value is meant to be shocking, over-reliance on it just makes it boring (Elfen Lied ran into the same problem all those years ago).

What next Takahiro, a serial killer who stuffs babies into blenders and then drinks them up in a smoothie?
>>
>>123267661
>half a decade
I wish
>>
I like edgy stuff because it's like watching someone try so hard to be mature end up being campy or goofy, makes me laugh
>>
File: b009.png (169KB, 960x1408px) Image search: [Google]
b009.png
169KB, 960x1408px
Edgiest manga coming through.
>>
File: 1427171086852.jpg (420KB, 1125x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1427171086852.jpg
420KB, 1125x1600px
La edge
>>
>>123268254
Speaking of that, I wonder why nobody has even bothered offering up Mai-chan's Daily Life. Are guro manga just in their own special category of disqualified?
>>
>>123268368
That shit is so old newfags can't pull it off all the meme sites to look like old fags is why
>>
>>123268368

With the shit we got today, Mai-chan is almost normal.
>>
>>123268363
You mean l'edge
>>
>>123268516
Maybe the latest and greatest in guro manage to make it look stale but most shit in this thread doesn't compare.
>>
File: rinrin.jpg (19KB, 350x194px) Image search: [Google]
rinrin.jpg
19KB, 350x194px
>>123265458

Ninja Resurrection is far edgier than this I assure you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tF9A-wp0uU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYkBlGFpoXc
>>
>>123267030
>>123267149
You seem a bit butthurt
Thread posts: 136
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.