[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Urusei Yatsura thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: normal_Urusei_Yatsura_182-182.jpg (52KB, 714x750px) Image search: [Google]
normal_Urusei_Yatsura_182-182.jpg
52KB, 714x750px
I've been watching this lately, and the first 22-odd episodes were fantastic. Everything just clicks to well, which in turn, makes for one of the best comedy anime of all time.

Then for whatever reason, they decide to scrap the "2 stories per episode" formula, and the show goes to shit. It's so painfully obvious they're trying to stretch episodes out to fill the run time, and as a result, the comedic timing and flow is so horribly off it hurts. With two stories per episode, the show could maintain a fast, snappy pace, which complemented the absurdest humor perfectly.

Please tell me it gets better.
>>
>>122864311
I prefer the manga, and from what you said it sounds like you would too, but it does actually get better.

Some of the comedic timing is improved with the new format, like in the arc where the guys scheme to grab Ryuunosuke's breats during a game of rugby. The build-up to it and the resolve on everyone's faces is just incredible.
>>
>>122864311
The general consensus is that the show gets better after it ditches the 2 stories per episode formula. Honestly you're the first person I've seen who complains about that. It gets much better, especially around the time Ran is introduced.
>>
File: 1408833944121.jpg (13KB, 208x147px) Image search: [Google]
1408833944121.jpg
13KB, 208x147px
>>122864593
>especially around the time Ran is introduced
>That whole copy-darling episode
>>
>>122864593
The transition occurred from episodes 24 to 25.

24 is the Earmuffs Episode, which is fantastic. 25 is the episode with the caterpillar that turns into a fairy, which was fucking abysmal, and the point where they permanently scrapped the 2-story formula.

Watch those two episodes again and just try to tell me it got better. Watch episodes 26-29 too and notice how awkward the comedic timing is.

Ran got introduced well-before the transition.
>>
>>122865498
Oh shit really? My memory must be worse than I thought. Anyway it does get better. You don't have to take my word for it though since most people agree.
>>
>>122864311
In your case, read the manga.
>>
>>122865498
>25 is the episode with the caterpillar that turns into a fairy, which was fucking abysmal
You are a terrible person sir.
>>
File: 0987.gif (724KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
0987.gif
724KB, 500x375px
>>122864535
>>122865745
While I generally prefer manga to anime, I highly highly doubt I would in UY.

I fucking love the voicework; the seiyuus did a brilliant job of bringing personality to the characters. On top of that, I love the cheesy outdated music, and the animation is actually quite good.

My problem has nothing to do with the format; it's the transition from episode 24 to 25. There's such a huge dip in quality it's scary.
>>
>>122866050
Nah, you're not catching me on this one. It was such a terrible episode. So many scenes unnecessarily dragged on and on, and the pacing was extremely awkward. I'm not criticizing the writing or the idea or anything, but it would've been far better off as a 10 minute episode.
>>
>>122866199
Dude, Oshii didn't direct every episode, get over it.

http://www.furinkan.com/features/articles/director1.html
>>
>>122866506
What does that have to do with anything? Am I only allowed to critique Oshii episodes?

Episodes 25-29 have all suffered the same problems, and are an enormous step down in quality to the preceding episodes.
>>
>>122866669
You can either watch more than 1/5 of the show, or you can pretend to know what you're talking about. Your choice.
>>
>>122866761
Did you miss the "Please tell me it gets better" part? Did you fail to understand I was only critiquing a certain portion and not the whole show?

Does your fanboy rage blind you this much?

All I'm saying are episodes 25-29 are garbage, and it seems your too retarded to argue otherwise.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.