[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Parasyte and the Environment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

So the message Parasyte is trying to bring across here is that we shouldn't compromise the prosperity of humanity, for the sake of an abstraction like "nature".

But what about when our effect on the environment has a direct bearing on the prosperity of our species? A 2 degree rise in global temperature would be catastrophic for us, since it leads to:

>extreme weather events
>reduction in habitable landmass due to rising ocean levels
>increase in flooding in many areas and risk of forest fires in many others
>increase in drought across areas such as the Mediterranean basin
>disease spread thanks to increase in vector distributions

I think it's shortsighted to say "it's hypocrisy to prioritize the planet over humans so let's crush the planet so we can have a better life".
>>
did people care all that much about global warming in the 80s when the manga was written?
>>
>>122788195
That's a good message.
We can adapt and survive.

>reduction in habitable landmass due to rising ocean levels

There is so much land that it does not matter for humanity as the whole.
>>
>>122788417
Global warming, not so much, environmental damage, yeah, quite a bit, actually.
>>
>>122788558
>There is so much land that it does not matter for humanity as the whole.
There are already heavily built-up areas that are home to millions which are built in areas vulnerable to sea level rise. Most coastal cities, for one.
>>
File: ayers rock small.jpg (220KB, 800x494px) Image search: [Google]
ayers rock small.jpg
220KB, 800x494px
>>122788558
Anything uninhabited is uninhabited for a reason.
>>
>>122788195
>>reduction in habitable landmass due to rising ocean levels
I thought that was proven wrong. Didn't some professor calculate that we'd lose some 5% of our current landmass if all the ice on this planet were to melt?
>>
File: Pekka Erik.png (127KB, 323x343px) Image search: [Google]
Pekka Erik.png
127KB, 323x343px
Humanity is overrated
>>
>>122789016
Landmass is not inhabited evenly.
>>
>>122789212
yea but you can move the population inward to compensate
>>
>>122789212
Quite right. The Netherlands would just disappear.
Hands up everyone who's going to miss Amsterdam.
>>
>>122788195
So you'll kill yourself to protect the environment?
You think any other living things gives a fuck? Or even Nature itself gives a fuck? Because they don't. They are trying just as hard to kill you and everyone else. It's just that humanity's winning.
>>
>>122789250
Lived there for 6 years and I can honestly say I that I wont miss that shithole.
>>
>>122789277
I don't think most people think the "Earth" gives a shit either. I think fundamentally most people want to protect the environment because it is beautiful. The nature shots that conservationists use to sell their message always focus on the beauty of it all while contrasting with the ugliness of industry and landfills and generally unsightly structures. They won't contrast them with aesthetically pleasing shots of cities lit at night for example.
>>
>>122789248
>mass migration is a simple matter of everyone getting up and moving inland
>>
>>122789665
>the poles will melt within a single year
>>
>>122788195
Global warming is a lie.
>>
>>122789732
Oh, hey /biz/. Didn't see you there.
>>
>>122788195
>protecting something that wants to kill us 24/7
We are the parasites anon, that's the message
>>
>>122789850
The parasites need the human to be healthy to survive. Likewise we need the planet to be healthy for good quality of life.
>>
>>122790052
Of course, when parasites start caring for their hosts, they're no longer true parasites.
>>
I think it's less "humans shouldn't care about the environment" and more highlighting the dichotomy that humans as a species face. Do we have a responsibility to advance our own species and keep our dominant position? Or do we have a responsibility to care for other species and the planet we live on at the cost of less dominance to our own species? Can the two overlap? Are we preserving our species in the long run by diminishing it? It's about asking those questions instead of giving a definite message. In my opinion, at least.
>>
>>122790124

A motto for the well intentioned NEET.
>>
>>122790124
But "Symbyote" doesn't sound as cool.
>>
>>122789692
>people will actually take action before the effects are immediately visible to their face
>>
>>122792119
You're missing the point.
Today village A needs to be relocated.
Next year, it will be village B.
Also, floods and storms are getting worse, so the government is putting more money into dams and stuff which creates jobs which make the economy stronger. Everybody's happy.
>>
>>122788195

Humans can't destroy or protect "nature" because Humans ARE a part of nature.

Even if we change the planet to being nothing more than a toxic wasteland, then nature will still be there because there will be an entire ecosystem built around toxicity. And then when those organisms become complex stuff like carbohydrates will be toxic to them whereas it was beneficial to us.

Parasytes can live without eating Humans, but they don't want to. Humans can survive without polluting, but we don't want to. Neither "species" is good or bad or right or wrong. Neither species can judge the other. There's only the winners and the losers and the ones that live long enough to reproduce.
>>
>>122792258
You've been playing too much Fallout, squirt.
>>
>>122788764
You can always build new cities.

>>122788975
Yes, not enough people.
>>
>>122792258
How long does it take for a new stable ecosystem to arise? How long does it take for organisms with an entirely different biochemistry to evolve from existing ones?
>>
People like OP are the reason I stopped looking for IRL people to talk about anime with.
>>
>>122792628
Eco systems are never truly stable.
But that's the good part about it. We already have thousands of organisms capable of living in the landscapes described as toxic.
>>
>>122792636
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Are you saying only people on the internet have interesting things to say about anime and therefore it is useless to seek them out IRL or are you saying that even on the internet nobody anywhere has anything interesting to say about anime and therefore it is fruitless to seek them out IRL?
>>
>>122792678
Yeah, but they're mostly microscopic and boring and not aesthetically pleasing to human sensibilities.
>>
>>122793264
Buy a robotic sheep then.
>>
>>122792418
>too much Fallout
No such thing.
>>
Aren't the parasites a metaphor for illegal immigrants?
>>
>>122793217
He is saying OP is retarded or something
>>
>>122794181
Not at all
>>
>>122793408
There is if it's Fallout 3.
>>
>>122792228
>Broken window fallacy
>>
>>122796623
The government is already looking at ways to create artificial jobs.
When robotics take over 25% of the work force, you will be happy over any reason for somebody to pay you at all.
>>
>>122796941
The loss of jobs doing repetitive manual labor to build cars etc thanks to robots is compensated for by the creation of jobs in the various industries that support the production of robots
>>
>>122797203
>the creation of jobs
Barely any new jobs come up though.

>the production of robots
is a job for robots.
>>
>>122796941
>The government is
>The government should be
When robotics take over 25% of the work force, we'll talk.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.