[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Japan cannot into good fantasy hipster phrases like this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 22

File: lodoss.jpg (356KB, 1072x1251px) Image search: [Google]
lodoss.jpg
356KB, 1072x1251px
>Japan cannot into good fantasy

hipster phrases like this makes me wonder
What do you guys want in a fantasy that you think is missing from anime?
>>
realism
>>
Vorpal grindstones
>>
>>122081264
in fantasy?
aren't those kinda opposites?
>>
>>122081306
Get a dictionary and think about what you just said.
>>
>>122081382
I think you need a thesaurus
>>
>>122081248
Maria the Virgin witch is airing right now and it's great.

Don't tell me people actually want the anime version of a shity Bioware rpg.
>>
I prefer books when it comes to fantasy.
>>
>>122081557
I prefer manga

though most manga set in middle ages are either shoujo or straight up historical faire with no magic.
>>
Lodoss was pretty good but man did you guys not kid when you said it was DnD: The Campaign; The Anime
>>
You guys realize fantasy is the laughing stock of all of the literary world?

There is a reason no legitimate litfag pays fantasy any heed, it's genre fiction and deserves to go into the garbage, where it belongs.
>>
>>122081682
it literally is

and I'm using literally correctly the anime is based on a DnD campaign.
>>
>>122081248
Same thing I want that is missing from a books. A setting that isn't middle ages Europe.
>>
>>122081736
>genre fiction

m8 you're on /a/, anime is almost exclusively genre fiction-tier.
>>
>>122081736
What are you even doing here, except for shitposting?
>>
>>122081755
most fantasy anime is set in ancient Japan though

it's just when everyone thinks "fantasy" they assume "swords and sorcery set in the middle ages"
>>
>>122081809
Yeah I meant to add that. A setting that isn't middle ages Europe or Samurai Japan
>>
>>122081787
High fantasy is especially worse because it's literally manchild shit.

Japan manages to put out a lot of good fiction like Nisekoi.

>>122081805
Pointing out that fantasy anime aren't bad because anime can't do it, but because fantasy is inherently shit.
>>
>>122081736
I'm sorry I like fiction for fiction

I'll go back to my existential stories like a good little hipster.
>>
>>122081850
Nisekoi is also machild shit. I'm not sure what point you're making.
>>
>>122081850
>literally manchild shit.

Where do you think you are?
>>
>>122081838
>not getting into the "middle eastern/central asia action/politcal stories by female mangaka" genre

though that genre is exclusively manga (except Magi but Magi is shit).
>>
>>122081882
Nisekoi is actually set in the real world with real human characters and scenarios instead of self-fellating fantasy worlds with some shallow politics, war, or magic.
>>
>>122081850
>Japan manages to put out a lot of good fiction like Nisekoi.
>good fiction like Nisekoi

>>122081882
>>122081891
>falling for such bait
>>
File: 193847564733.gif (907KB, 245x184px) Image search: [Google]
193847564733.gif
907KB, 245x184px
>>122081985
>>
I want more fantasy settings modeled after African lore and history.

And not just Egypt.
>>
File: dohoho.jpg (19KB, 500x367px) Image search: [Google]
dohoho.jpg
19KB, 500x367px
>>122082080

>African lore and history

that sure would be fantasy
>>
File: 1374993255802.png (741KB, 803x602px) Image search: [Google]
1374993255802.png
741KB, 803x602px
>>122082107
>>
>>122081557
The only one I've tried was black company and while I enjoyed the first volume. The whole Lady-mary sue stuff got old fast. And while the 'just working for money not ideals' thing is usually fun, in this case it took the emotion and motivation out of everything the characters did. The plot was 'we're doing it because it's the only thing we know how to do' and while it's fun it doesn't stay fun for long enough to pad out how ever many volumes there are.

What is some straight forward, fun fantasy literature? More like Lodoss' adapted steriotypical D&D campaign stuff.
>>
File: 1352856052988.jpg (21KB, 500x276px) Image search: [Google]
1352856052988.jpg
21KB, 500x276px
Anime needs three things to be successful as a piece of entertainment: Writing, Direction and Budget.
Fantasy anime usually only get one of these right, and it falls especially flat when they mix in harem elements.
>>
>>122082169

I really liked the first novel of the BC, it was great. The next two were a chore cause they got rid of the company, and the company was what made it great. Never did read the oboks of South or East or whatever. Try Malazan sometime.
>>
File: berserk-2143211.jpg (314KB, 1200x849px) Image search: [Google]
berserk-2143211.jpg
314KB, 1200x849px
and this>>122082107
>>
>>122082169
I've actually read a bit of fantasy but almost all of the really well liked ones try really hard to shake it up in some way. The Eye of the World is probably the most generic one I can think of.
>>
>>122081248
you're not suggesting that that nostory mediocre d&d ripoff is a good example of fantasy are you?
>>
>>122081248
>What do you guys want in a fantasy that you think is missing from anime?

Elf girl actually getting the dick from the MC
>>
>>122081557
Fuck that, fantasy book series ALWAYS degenerate unless they're short-lived -- four titles at the most. Even Dune became unreadable from God Emperor and onwards.
>>
File: guts.png (586KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
guts.png
586KB, 1366x768px
>>122081248
You just have to watch the right anime bro
>>
File: 1423164521625.jpg (283KB, 1436x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1423164521625.jpg
283KB, 1436x1080px
It needs characters that aren't so fucking stock, and are at least older than 16 for once
>>
>>122081248
I have no idea

Slayers is about as good of a fantasy series as anything in the western world
>>
I just recently finished reading Claymore. By far it was at its best, in my opinion, when it stuck to the tight focus of Clare wandering around with Raki. Once it hit the time skip, everything went downhill. Not to mention the mangaka's to killing off any characters really dulled the entire story. Robbed it of nearly all its tension.
>>
>>122082265
I would agree that this used to be the case, recently though there have been some extremely long series that managed to sustain momentum throughout.
>>
>>122082207
>budget
how can you write that and simultaneously try to affect some kind of erudition as it comes to appreciating a "successful piece of entertainment?" budget has the potential to enrich an already good concept, but it has nothing to do with whether or not a low-budget project is entertaining or of high quality

furthermore, big budget often = corporate sponsorship, which means production and editing notes, finding the "right direction," and so on. that kind of meddling is often poison to a singular artistic vision
>>
>there are people in this thread RIGHT NOW that have not watched Seirei no Moribito or Twelve Kingdoms
Please correct that mistake of yours if this applies to you.
>>
>>122082439
Case in point: EVA was a fairly low-budget production, and Anno taxed its extremely limited coffers to the breaking point before he even ended the series. Nevertheless, it was the stress of that "limitation" that forced him to consolidate and economize his thematic focus, and it might have actually been somewhat responsible for making the show as good as it is
>>
>>122082439
>>122082524

What you're thinking of is not "low budget". This is low budget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhmBnaEcbfA
>>
>>122082513
I'm pretty sure they just don't think its a good fantasy.
>>
Bahamut was pretty good for a classic high fantasy.
I'm enjoying the resurgence in old school fantasy shows, hopefully with wealthy mobage trying to fund anime we'll see more high budget stuff.
>>
>>122082599
No, that's not low budget, that's completely fucking your production schedule.
>>
>anime
>fantasy
quite possibly the worst media for this.
>>
A good plot and interesting characters,
Realism is not necessary, but I'd love a fantasy anime that is not a "school life" plot with dragons and swords.
>>
nausicaa is probably the greatest example of japanese fantasy
>>
Anime should adapt ASOIAF series. It'll the series far more justice than HBO ever does.

>Kids and mid teens will look like kids and mid teens
>gets proper pacing
>gets more coverage than tv show
>doesn't have to go full retard about bugdet like the show does.

The only con is no sex. But who cares if they imply it.
>>
File: 1359169578679.jpg (697KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1359169578679.jpg
697KB, 800x1000px
>Wheel of Time anime with similar style/quality to lodoss OVA series
This could be amazing. It even has all the anime character tropes already.
>tsun tsun nynaeve
>plenty of fan service
>/ss/
>typical farmboy protagonist who is "the one"
>>
>>122081736
/lit/ please go take a literary theory class.
>>
>>122082107
I am sure they could get an anime out of Anansi and other West African folklore.
>>
>>122082833
anime is probably the best medium for that imo

animation lends itself better to fantasy than live action, which has to rely on clashing CGI or obviously fake looking special effects (and the west hates animation).

There's books as well but isn't it better to actually see the magic?
>>
>>122082340
I feel the same, anon. That kind of shit made hate flashbacks.
>>
>>122082833
oh yeah live action is up there in terribly fantasy formats.
Honestly books/games are my favorite.
>>
>>122082340
That should read

>aversion to killing off

Nobody of note ever died
>>
>>122082983
yeah games are probably the best medium for fantasy (tabletop and vidya)

better than looking at the magic is being the fucking wizard
>>
File: image.jpg (481KB, 825x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
481KB, 825x1200px
>>122082260
>>
>>122082156
Even then you're going to have to learn African culture to find a magic suitable for the setting.

Like most magic tends to be copied from debunked cultural theories of how the world worked and other related folklores.
>>
>>122082169
Only decent ones are the ones that do something new, the Lies of Lock Lamorra is the closest thing I've read to classic fantasy thats come out in recent years.

Naturally if you haven't you should read Earthsea or probably anything by De Guin.

I can't think of anything else worthwhile right now.
>>
>>122081248
First, RotLW was just taking a log of what happened in D&D sessions and turning it into an anime.

Second, it's not even fucking consistent with the material it's based on.
>>
>>122082734
>Good animation
>Good art style
>Bad plot
>>
>>122083165
since we are this far into the thread I'll tell you I didn't watch Lodoss.

I just posted a series that's popular and had no relation to me because if I did post a fantasy series I liked trolls would just shit on that (There are people here who outright say all anime is garbage I don't want to subject my favorite ones to those people).

Rather just want to question what is some of /a/'s problem with fantasy anime.
>>
>>122081248
I hated this shit so much

The MC never wins a fight, he doesn't even defeat the final boss and in the final fight he never at any point is actually winning
>>
Nigga what? Japan was godlike at RPG-style fantasy during the 90s. I want that style to come back super hard.
>>
writing/dialogue worth shit

its not really bad translation so much as bad original content
>>
>>122082632
Then they have shit taste
>>
>>122081850
>a lot of good fiction like Nisekoi.

Ha, you made me laugh, man.
Thank you for that.
>>
>>122083322
Fantasy is pretty much based the jRPG's of the time

since modern jRPGs suck modern fantasy anime follows suit.
>>
>>122083341
>its not really bad translation so much as bad original content
Can you read and speak moon to verify this?

I've been slowly sifting through things to find what was just butchered by the translator and what just had shit writing to begin with.
>>
>>122083377
its probably the other way around
>>
>>122081248
Quantity. Fantasy titles being so few as they currently are, it seems like making a fantasy at all, let alone a good one, is surprising and an exception from the general rule of just not making fantasies
>>
>>122083253
Honestly I don't watch fantasy shows for the plot, more for the interesting characters, fantasy themes and visuals. Good plot seems to be a rarity in the medium along JRPGs. That said I didn't think Bahamut's plot was bad, just very straightforward and by the books.
>>
>>122081248
floating mountains and swords made of light and larger than life objects
>>
File: lodoss.png (488KB, 693x493px) Image search: [Google]
lodoss.png
488KB, 693x493px
>>122083313
He might have accomplished something if he WOULD HAVE USED THE FUCKING SHIELD HE GOT.

THEY MAKE A BIG DEAL OF HIM ACCEPTING THE SHIELD AFTER REFUSING THE SET OF ARMOR BUT HE NEVER USES IT DESPITE THEM HAVING HIM SPAR AGAINST VETERAN FIGHTERS TWICE WITH A SWORD AND SHIELD.
>>
>>122082862
that series needs a good book burning I'm thinking
such atrocious crap and I forced myself to go through the whole damn thing thinking maybe there would be a really good payoff

I the last scene with any sort of really dramatic momentum happened when Morain offered Egwene to join the tower.

near the beginning of book 1

of 14
>>
>>122081248
All Lodoss is a DND game set in austrailia translated into LN, Manga and then Anime.

All Japan has to do is play more DND and translate that to Anime. Its likely Aslan will fix that fantasy hunger in your heart though.
>>
>>122083386
I pretty much learn a bad translation really can fuck over the writing

especially with a very incompatible and fundamentally different language like Japanese.
>>
>>122083453
>Aslan is the main character of the Chronicles of Narnia series
I'm not following.
>>
>>122082107
I'd watch a series about Anansi trolling people.
>>
>>122083419
>Good plot seems to be a rarity
Truer words were never spoken
>>
>>122083449
I liked the part where Gawyn died like a little bitch.
>>
>>122083416
I'm still waiting for them to animate that tabletop game that had Nasu, Urobuchi, and Ryohgo

good or bad, it'd at least be interesting
>>
The first episode of Druaga was pretty good.
>>
>>122083468
I'll be honest, I wouldn't really call any translation good. At best they're "ok". A friend of mine who helps me translate is Japanese born, studied English in Japan and now works as a pro translator in the US. He has complete mastery of both languages (you'd never know he wasn't a native English speaker if he didn't tell you. I actually sometimes forget Japanese is his mother tongue) and even the stuff he does just barely manages to get the characters personalities and the nuances of the authors writing across.

Fan translators like him are one in a million, most of them don't know English or Japanese and either give you some blocky, half incorrect shit like "Even if you say such a thing...the decision has been decided suddenly" followed by an incorrectly translated idiom, or some Commie-tier memeshit they thought was funny.

tl;dr learn fucking moon.
>>
>>122081557
I completely agree with you. I've read Japanese light novels, Korean fantasy novels, Chinese fantasy novels, and English fantasy novels. Except for certain ones, I definitely enjoyed books over manga or anime for fantasy. The world setting, characterization, and power systems felt more elaborate and less gimmicky when I was reading fantasy.
>>
>>122083544
I forgot that part, that character, the ensuing suicide that it caused and big thing about counter balefire because none of it was the least bit important to anything else that was going on nor were any of the people involved interesting enough for it to matter.

Honestly when I heard about how Mass Effect 3 reduced every choice in the game to single preparedness stat this is what I was reminded of- "hey did anybody remember to tell the sea people that tarmon gaidon was going on? Anybody? No? Ugh hey Logain!"
>>
>why doesn't Japan make good fantasy anime
>Maria is airing and nobody gives a shit
>>
File: 1321544155408.gif (8KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1321544155408.gif
8KB, 200x200px
Good character writing.
Instead of focusing on the single character which will probably be some marty-stu lead and then having his shitty band of friends get a limelight every now and again, a good fantasy story and generally a good story focuses on all characters and the best rarely have a "lead" and instead simply focus on the progression of multiple stories inside of the main story's progression.

The only anime I've seen that ever even breach this level of story telling are usually 600+ episodes long and are fairly old. They're almost always scifi too.
>>
>>122081736
As a legitimate litfag I can say that while fantasy definitely isn't treated like it's fine literature, a lot of well-read still like and see the value of escapism. which speculative fiction (including fantasy) is probably the best genre for.

Also, there's plenty of good anime fantasy. Fullmetal Alchemist, Mushishi, JoJo, and Baccano just for ones that are pretty well received. Also, most action anime (especially battle shounen) and historical anime have fantasy elements.

Of course, if you're looking specifically for Western-influenced medieval-European-styled fantasy, your definition of "fantasy" is to narrow and also why the fuck are you looking for that from anime in the first place?
>>
>>122083682
We did say "good"
>>
>>122083682
Check the Death Parade bait thread that's up. A couple people acknowledged it as the underrated gem of the season.

It's fucking great.
>>
>>122083631
Translators need not only master the language, they must have a flair for writing themselves.
>>
>>122083534
don't know what you consider "good plot"

I mean I guess a lot of fantasy anime were vehicles to get the characters from one area to another (being mostly based on jRPGs and tabletops). and I fucking love those types of series (because ADVENTURE).

Though I like to think the Berserk anime had a good plot.
>>
>>122083253
>Good art style
Aside from the tango lips and other ridiculous fujoshi pandering aspects

>>122083302
>what is some of /a/'s problem with fantasy anime
There's plenty of anons who enjoy fantasy series. But not everyone has to like it.

Do you walk down a street and ask people why they believe in God? Take your tipping elsewhere.
>>
>>122083786
Oh I'm well aware. I can express my own thoughts just fine, whether it be in written or spoken form. In fact, my job and education background require it. Trying to take another persons words, then change them between two completely different languages and then make the target language read naturally while staying true to the original meaning and authors voice is quite the task. It's completely different than writing your own stuff, and most people just can't do it, so you end up with a lot of what we see online for fan translations and subs.
>>
>>122083708
I like fantasy anime more than fantasy western stories
the whimsical nature of anime lends itself well to a medieval fantasy setting

>>122083691
that's most fantasies that are not battle shounen or LNs (and even then quite a few battle shounen do the second part well).
>>
>>122083445
Shields are for pussies.
>>
>>122083708
>>122081736
In great irony, it takes somebody who is not well-versed and knowledgeable of the professional literary world to be able to speak the objective truth. An enormous amount of people get great entertainment out of Fantasy novels, and most people will tell you their favorite book series is a fantasy series. Why is that? Because we don't have our heads up our asses. We take things as they are, rather than ridiculously over-analyzing and making up arbitrary rules for what makes a good literary work.
This is one of those cases where the more knowledgeable you become, the dumber you get. The whole "real world" is laughing at you guys.
>>
>>122083691
Completely different genre, but Shirobako isn't doing too bad right now.
>>
File: photo3.jpg (123KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
photo3.jpg
123KB, 600x600px
All creatures adapted straight from the 1st edition D&D monster manual.
This is a sure sign of a high quality fantasy adventure.
>>
File: 1370664371056.png (297KB, 774x720px) Image search: [Google]
1370664371056.png
297KB, 774x720px
>>122081248
Parn is an absolutely terrible character

So stupid, so weak, so typical, so fucking boring
There is literally nothing memorable about him apart from how brown he is compared to everyone else

Everyone only watched this shit for Deedlit anyways
>>
>>122084013
Has a stupid name too, it sounds like the onomatopoeia for someone farting through a trumpet.
>>
>>122084013
>Thread about fantasy anime
>Posts a reaction image from one of the most generic, cookie cutter fantasy LNs there is
7/10 for subtle humor.
>>
i really liked the chemistry between Pan and Deed
is there something similar out there?
>>
>>122084057
more like

>talk about horrible characters
>post emi
>>
>>122084109
That too, but Emifags are insufferable so I don't feel like starting a shitstorm if any are around.
>>
>>122084066

Parn died in the original dnd game, and the elf didn't care. Turns out she was more interested in his sword.

Elves, only good for rape.
>>
File: lodoss.webm (2MB, 718x540px)
lodoss.webm
2MB, 718x540px
>>
>>122084013
I watched it for based Lord Ashram.
>>
>>122084057
>>122084109
>>122084129
I was just using it for the reaction face, I don't even really like hataraku maou
>>
File: lodoss2.webm (3MB, 1436x1080px)
lodoss2.webm
3MB, 1436x1080px
>>122084168
>>
>>122084195
Us calling you clever and having a giggle is more entertaining than letting the thread just die.

Let us have the giggle.
>>
>>122084242
no
>>
>>122084168
I don't understand why couldn't the dragon just breathe fire on them?
>>
>>122084274
Fine. You're not clever. You're a doo doo head.
>>
File: lodoss3.webm (3MB, 640x481px)
lodoss3.webm
3MB, 640x481px
>>122084212
I wish I would have more of these.
>>
>>122084276
It wouldn't be sporting.
>>
>>122083449
it truly is horrible. re-write LotR, add tons of meaningless worldbuilding make it span 14 books and a prequel.
take special care to hardly put any plot in each book.
>>
File: RLW08.png (168KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
RLW08.png
168KB, 360x240px
Lodoss was one of the most beautiful and manly anime ever.
>>
>>122083879
to be fair I never encountered a person in public screaming that they hated religion and never even bothered to explain why

find plenty of people on /a/ who does that with their dislike of fantasy anime
>>
File: record_lodoss_war_10.jpg (261KB, 804x623px) Image search: [Google]
record_lodoss_war_10.jpg
261KB, 804x623px
>>122084409
>>
>>122084395
>tons of meaningless worldbuilding

You mean descriptions of dresses.
>>
File: Record-of-Lodoss-War-Screen-3.png (939KB, 1003x766px) Image search: [Google]
Record-of-Lodoss-War-Screen-3.png
939KB, 1003x766px
>>122084448
>>
What would an anime Baldur's gate look like?
>>
>>122084154
How can you "care" in a D&D game?

Aside from some random "oh no, our poor comrade and friend, we will not forget your sacrifice", the only thing you're supposed to do when that happens is good ol' looting.

Deedlit did nothing wrong.
>>
>>122084581
>Baldur's gate
Like Berserk or Lodoss.

Nevermind, anime isn't drawn anymore. It'd look like shit with a filter over it.
>>
>>122081248
Fantasy didn't disappeared.
It evolved.

Just look at video game.
They went from Final Fantasy 1 -> Final Fantasy 7 (modernized)
Same thing with chinese cartoon
Lodoss/Slayers -> FSN/Insert your seasonal haremshit+chuuni superpower/alternate world

You be hard pressed to find a normal traditional fantasy nowadays. Nowadays they are always sprinkled with science and futuristic take.

I like Horizon myself. Inb4 hurrizon and shit taste.
>>
File: ninja.webm (2MB, 640x472px)
ninja.webm
2MB, 640x472px
Thread posts: 132
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.