[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why anime characters act in such exaggerated/unrealistic way?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 13

File: okabe.jpg (73KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
okabe.jpg
73KB, 1280x720px
why anime characters act in such exaggerated/unrealistic way?
Why hyperbole is such a commom thing in anime anyway?
>>
You are watching cartoons you silly goon.
Why are you expecting them to not be cartoonish?
>>
>>121764871
>why movie characters act in such exaggerated/unrealistic way?
>Why hyperbole is such a commom thing in movies anyway?
Is just as accurate.
And the answer is "because they are movies". Any other stupid questions?
>>
>>121764871
Probably the same reason why actors in a play exaggerate, but for a slightly different reason.
Acting in plays is often exaggerated, because it's difficult for people who sit far away to see small movements of the body and face.
The same is probably true for anime. With a low budget it's difficult to animate everything that a normal human body does while interacting, so they exaggerate a lot to compensate.
>>
>>121764871
If you feel like watching boring things, you just have to turn off your computer and go outside.
>>
Because realism is boring.
>>
>>121765134
>>121765284
>this is what otakus actually believe
>>
>>121765134
How can you find all the characters acting as completely retarded/mentally unstable persons a good thing?How can you suspend your disbelief about something that so poorly written ?
>>
>>121765068
>Is just as accurate.
No its not
>because they are movies"
maybe you should try watching good movies
>>
>>121765547
What are you doing on /a/? Fuck off, normalfag.

>>121765643
I almost fell for your bait.
>>
>>121765643
Do you want the real answer?

Because Everyone on /a/ is mentally unstable, so it seems normal to them.
>>
>>121764871
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1gxb2Hr0OkU
>>
>>121765691
>realism=good
Oh wow, we got Mr. Ebert over here!
>>
>>121765691
>maybe you should try watching good movies
I tried that, it turns out that "good" movies are generally just people staring out a windscreen for two hours looking contemplative.
>>
>>121766103
Why is this the case for western film critics almost always? They cannot tolerate anything unrealistic unless it's a kid's film. It's like realism is some Holy Grail for them. Like their brain can't comprehend surreality.
>>
>>121766509
Don't you feel their pathos? It just oozes from the windscreen like so much rain pitter patter.
>>
>>121765706
It's not bait.

>>121766103
Strict realism no,consistency and human-like behaviors?Yes
>>121765787
/a/ is not the only target audience for anime though
>>
Because if they weren't exaggerations then why not make it live action?
>>
>>121766640
Exaggerated actions help kids who are not fully able to understand nuance in emotion yet as their experience is not yet at the depth and breadth of a normal adult. Japanese otaku are the equivalent of /a/. This covers the full gamut of the audience for anime.
>>
They're cartoons for children and are made simple for them.
>>
Because the audience has autistic tendencies so they need to exaggerate facial emotions because they can't pick it up otherwise.

I remember reading something about kids who watched a lot of Thomas the Tank Engine switching over to anime as teens for the same reason.
>>
File: 1424363434845.jpg (69KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1424363434845.jpg
69KB, 1280x720px
>>121764871
Never have I seen an anime that was able to portray realistic human emotions.

Perhaps the only one that was remotely close was Neon Genesis Evangelion

Socially, the interaciton of japanese people has always been notoriously held back and reserved. There is actually a great movie called Shall we Dance (1996) which addresses this situation. Even between family members, it is considered rude to portray your feelings directly and unrestrained.

Japanese society is about efficiency and is held together by thousands of social etiquettes.

This is why Anime is never able to portray realistic characters that act like human fucking beings. Whether it comes to design, personality, body proportions, and internal fears, they all flop face down.

Anime is all about style over substances, aesthetics over actuality. The best anime are the ones with the best concepts.
>>
>>121766748
Are you suggesting that Thomas the Tank Engine literally makes children autistic?
>>
>>121766704
This is actually a reasonable argument.
>>
>>121766788
>Never have I seen an anime that was able to portray realistic human emotions.
Well this man may be an erudite and knowledgeable individual...

>Perhaps the only one that was remotely close was Neon Genesis Evangelion
Fucking dropped. Eva characters are all nutcases designed specifically to be mentally ill.
>>
Autist appeal because most usually aren't good at reading emotions.
>>
>>121766798
No, the children who are already autistic watch Thomas because of easy to read facial expressions.
>>
>>121766798

Autistic children often like Thomas the Tank engine to begin with.
>>
>>121766788
OP here,i think that SSY does that in a very good way,at least in parts.
The show keeps the majority of flamboyant/exaggerated behaviour and melodramatic bullshit in check.

Also,Berserk
>>
>>121766846
>Eva characters are all nutcases designed specifically to be mentally ill.

Hence why it felt so real
>>
>>121766846
You missed the point completely. Of course EVA characters are mostly nutjobs. But they're extreme versions of human beings. They have fears, dreams, and weaknesses like humans do. They are effective and realistic portrayals of regular people driven insane

And also, not every EVA character is a nutjob. Ritsuko was a good character and she was a normal person, as was Misato.
>>
>>121766929
>melodrama

Oh the melodrama. The horrible melodrama!

The forced conflict, the forced characteristics, the flashbacks and internal thought sequences which directly tell you who the characters are

And I agree Berserk does a good job with this too.
>>
File: saki2.jpg (18KB, 690x388px) Image search: [Google]
saki2.jpg
18KB, 690x388px
>>121766929
Agree with this,Shinsekai Yori really break many stale anime tropes
>>
>>121766968
Ritsuko tried to Allah Akbar herself and Gendo when she could have just blown him up from a further distance.
>>
>>121766942
But most people aren't mentally ill, so you are not seeing realistic portrayals of normal people in Eva

>>121766968
>Ritsuko was a good character and she was a normal person, as was Misato.
The animespecifically addressed Ritsuko and Misato as also nuts. Ritsuko because of her inferiority complex due to never being able to steal Gendo's focus away from Yui or Rei and Misato because she was part of the second impact and was traumatized for a long time, began seeking out sex partners like mad and desired to feel the false, bodily love of other humans
>>
Oh boy, is it the daily "WHY IS ANIME SHIT" thread?

I don't even know why you people are on /a/.
>>
Rei clones may be the most realistic imitations of real humans in anime. Humans don't typically show a lot of emotion in their day to day lives.
>>
File: Sakura2.jpg (75KB, 614x461px) Image search: [Google]
Sakura2.jpg
75KB, 614x461px
Where are you people coming from and why are you here?
>>
>>121767122
They come from leddit. They desire to turn anime into modern military FPSes.
>>
File: StevenUniverse04351.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
StevenUniverse04351.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>121764871
why cartoon characters act in such exaggerated/unrealistic way?
Why hyperbole is such a commom thing in cartoon anyway?
>>
>>121767023
it's one of the most cringe things in anime for me.

See Clannad for example,the show has many amazing things but the dramatic scenes look like the most forced things i ever saw
>>
Exaggerated emotions look kinda cool
>>
>>121767074
I thought Misato only had sex with Kaji.
>>
>>121767105
>>121767122
OP here and i like anime,just think that it could get better
>>
>>121767196
What's the difference between "real" drama and "forced" drama?
>>
>>121767074
>most people aren't mentally ill
>>
>>121767196
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB40_Vxd2Fw
>>
>>121767117
Do you live in some bizarre country?

There was only one girl in my classes who was ever like a Rei clone. Everyone else was vibrant.
>>
>>121766512
The point of fiction is to be as realistic as possible, is it not?
>>
>>121767074
>But most people aren't mentally ill
That's not even what made the NGE characters seem human. What are you on about, anon?
>>
File: gits1pv7.jpg (279KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
gits1pv7.jpg
279KB, 1024x768px
Has nobody mentioned Ghost in the Shell for a specific reason so far? Besides the extremely unnatural precision that they speak in, there isn't much crazy shit that happens besides when the normal characters state why crazy shit is happening.
>>
>>121766512
I was just being ironic to point out how facile his outlook on film is; not actually comparing his view to Eberts. But as for your question, there are a few reasons that I can find for this.

The first (easy) reason why people are critical of "un-realism" is that average or normal people have small comfort zones and dislike things they are not used to, though I hesitate to use terms like "normal". Naturally, some of these people also become the film critics you ask about.
A second, though this is (I hope) for more informal criticism is that works are praised or faulted for their realism in other criticism. This is fair when when the realism or lack thereof does not fit with the style of a work which seeks to be realistic. However some people, hear works being criticized on realism and apply it to works that are not even in that style so it is misapplied.

In regards to published film critics:
There has been a "bias" against fantasy works in the US, in published criticism, awards, and so on. The reason for this is that for a very long time in modern history, genre fiction has been the domain of things like comics and pulp novel, mass-produced, general fiction that was frequently disposable, exploitative, or marketed towards youth and simply not of high quality. These traits persists and are applied to other fantasy works, like genre films, even if it is not fair to the work.

There are other reasons like trends in literature and film, that is a main one
>>
>>121767322
>It was the character designs
Thanks.
>>
>>121767215
Not really clear but she had sex with him for like a week straight
>>
File: cast-1024x768.jpg (145KB, 1024x786px) Image search: [Google]
cast-1024x768.jpg
145KB, 1024x786px
>>121766704
>>121766828
Show made for children.
>>
>>121767284
Not to me.
>>
File: Reinhard2.jpg (40KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Reinhard2.jpg
40KB, 640x480px
>>121767336
It wasn't mentioned because there are many anime/manga you could mention where characters have more subdued, realistic demeanor.
OP and the rest just need to watch more than the 20 or so shows they've seen.
>>
>>121767336
I don't want to hear gatou bitching about how he missed the garbage truck, I don't want the major to relay her latest lesbian dream orgy. Just discuss work topics is good enough
>>
>>121767284
no, i can't even take you seriously.
>>
>>121767336
GitS is an example of what happens when you try to make anime characters realistic. You get a boring, lifeless procedural detective drama and then in the eps where they discuss philosophy and such like non-real humans, it seems all the more awkward and abrupt
>>
>>121767546
OP and the like are generalizing but that generalization is true. There are a lot of exceptions with more subdued characterization, but hyperbole is still the norm in anime characterization
>>
File: 1362788933799.jpg (86KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1362788933799.jpg
86KB, 600x600px
>>121767284
>there are people who actually think this
>>
>>121767571
>the major to relay her latest lesbian dream orgy.
If she did that every ep I might have an interest in watching the show
>>
File: vlcsnap-2014-10-27-00h23m59s144.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2014-10-27-00h23m59s144.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>121767546
Shit, now that I think about it LoGH does have a more realistic cast (although they are in the year 3000 something).
>>
>>121767284
That's called non-fiction.
>>
File: inaho.jpg (112KB, 300x470px) Image search: [Google]
inaho.jpg
112KB, 300x470px
>>121764871
>Sick of characters who act in such exaggerated/unrealistic way
>Then we get this guy
>>
>>121767347
>This is fair when when the realism or lack thereof does not fit with the style of a work which seeks to be realistic. However some people, hear works being criticized on realism and apply it to works that are not even in that style so it is misapplied.

This is valid.

>The first (easy) reason why people are critical of "un-realism" is that average or normal people have small comfort zones and dislike things they are not used to, though I hesitate to use terms like "normal".

That's not true. Some of the most popular and favored works are not realistic. Myths are such a case and have always been liked by the average person.

>>121767347
>There has been a "bias" against fantasy works in the US, in published criticism, awards, and so on. The reason for this is that for a very long time in modern history, genre fiction has been the domain of things like comics and pulp novel, mass-produced, general fiction that was frequently disposable, exploitative, or marketed towards youth and simply not of high quality.

I think the discomfort with fantasy is recent. As in maybe last 30 years or even more recently than that. A lot of critics are the type of people who you can call an edgy atheist that rebels against anything they think is superstitious. There are exceptions with things like LOTR .

To be clear, I'm not saying this is the case for all atheists/agnostics. This is just a recent trend that has been picked up by film critics who largely are that type of liberals.
>>
>>121766512
>Why is this the case for western film critics almost always?
It isn't. Try actually reading them.
>>
>>121767237
Real drama is organically put in the plot and believable to the viewer.
Forced drama is by default when characters do dramatic things that don't seem very believable to the viewer due to they thinking that actual human beings would not do or think the same thing as the show character in that specific moment,thus the watcher loses immersion/suspension of disbelief in that scene

Forced drama can be found very much in anime
>Characters making a big deal and acting desperate over nothing
>Characters crying and having mental breakdowns over the most stupid reasons
>Characters yelling and making exaggerate moves over anything
This things are not very believable to the watcher because actual people don't do that.

It's one thing when ONE character does that being like this is actually a trace of his personality,it's another when being like this is a normal/standard thing in the show
>>
>>121764871
Why would you ask this question on /a/, which is full of autists, idiots and plebs?
>>
>>121767793
>It's one thing when ONE character does that being like this is actually a trace of his personality,it's another when being like this is a normal/standard thing in the show
So basically Eva is entirely forced drama to you? Then why does everyone fap to it and say it's realistic portrayal of insane people?
>>
>>121766704
I don't want to be anti-autism here.

Aren't a large part of hardcore anime fans autistic? This can explain the appeal with exaggerated actions/emotions since autistic people have a harder time picking up the subtlety. And since the anime industry is highly driven by BD/DVD sales numbering in a much smaller number than the total viewership in Japan, this can explain along with certain aspects of modern urban Japanese culture, why anime is the way that it is.
>>
>>121767793
and being like this*
>>
>>121765118

This is the only answer I can think of that makes sense, but then you get some anime with very good budgets (even films) and the expressions/emoting is still exaggerated to a point of breaking immersion.
>>
>>121767869
>Aren't a large part of hardcore anime fans autistic?
Has there ever really been a study though? Isn't this just a generalization made from people's experiences?
>>
>>121764871
Are you saying you never met someone histrionic, with exaggerated behavior and low people skills? On /a/?
I'd sooner believe there are real little girls posting in the thread.
>>
>>121767196
There was nothing good about Clannad.
>>
>>121764871

All acting is hammy/over acted hyperbole by nature. Do you in your every day life deliver perfect lines and thoughts? Stand around posing or getting a good angle? Things that are shot in a more relaxed 'natural' manner tend to be boring. Anime for the most part takes the hammy acting and runs with it instead of trying to pretend otherwise.
>>
>>121767074
>so you are not seeing realistic portrayals of normal people in Eva
Who said anything about the average person? Realism isn't restricted to the average.
>>
>>121767867
The problem with EVA is that everything is hyperbolic,the archetypes and thoughts of the characters are actually real/believable but they are portrayed in a extremely exaggerated manner in the show
>>
>>121767961
So then all shows are realistic as long as they don't include impossibilities? They're portraying the outlier case of reality, after all. Realistic, not average.
>>
>>121767732

Just an autistic, not even a realistic one.
>>
>>121767869
Almost all animation has ultra-expressive characters. That's half the point of using animation instead of live action in the first place. It's not specific to anime and it has nothing to do with autism.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.