[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why do people still think that seinen means "dark"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

File: notgenres.png (614KB, 1123x687px) Image search: [Google]
notgenres.png
614KB, 1123x687px
why do people still think that seinen means "dark" and shounen means "nekketsu" ?
>>
I couldn't give a damn what the original and intended meaning of the words are, 'Shounen' is used to describe a certain kind of show now because words and language evolves.
It hasn't lost it's original meaning, it's just gained another one.
>>
Uhhhhhhh I hate to be the one to say this but your pic doesn't prove much of anything, I could post a darker Romance pic and a happier Romance pic too.
>>
>>121460127
それは全然違うけどね。
まあ、外人は勝手だからそんな事言われてもしかたないか。
>>
>>121460139
you meant shoujo for girls and shoujo for adults
>>
>>121460127
>I couldn't give a damn what the original and intended meaning of the words are

If you want to parade around your ignorance at least use a trip
>>
>>121460127
those are target audience basically
shounen = 16yo and less
seinen = 16yo and more
>>
>>121460257
>and shoujo for adults
It's called josei.
>>
>>121460139
can you make a better image?
>>
I don't really care that retards throw around words that they don't understand, but for some reason it really irks me when some faggot uses seinen as a synonym for "deep mature stuff for mature people like myself".
>>
>>121460210
>外人は勝手だか
俺たち全員あいつと一緒にしなでくれないでくれ。
>>
>>121460360
K-On is a seinen
>>
>>121460346

Nah and its a stupid point that you are even trying to make. That shounen isn't all light+fluffy stuff? Yeah I could make a pic showing lots of grimdark shounens and happy lighthearted seinens if that is what you are just trying to show.

But "Seinen is not a genre" is not something that can be expressed via picture. It can only be done by exploring the meaning of genre and what makes one subdivision of art a "genre". It may actually require some arguments on your part.
>>
seinen is just shonen with less restrain on gore and nudity and less popular.
>>
>>121460360
...and when you try to explain them they don't listen to you because they are sooooo daaaark and soooo mature
>>
>>121460127
>look at how retarded I am
I'm so glad this word hasn't lost its meaning just yet so ignorant faggots like you can get called out
>>
>>121460474
so seinen is notshonen
cool
>>
File: 1398117356030.jpg (192KB, 830x600px) Image search: [Google]
1398117356030.jpg
192KB, 830x600px
>>121460360
>>121460444
Little kids can enjoy slice of life because "hurr girls, hurrr boring", that's why they are aimed at seinen because they actually are more mature people.
But I see you and realize, there are seinen with shounen mentality that can't enjoy the magic of yuri anime.
>>
>>121460262
>>121460305
>>121460530

I know what the original meaning is, I said it's still there but it also has a new meaning in addition to that.

Ya'll need to read before you take your shits.
>>
They're target demographics, you retards.
>>
>>121460470
well you're right it's hard to illustrate this concept
>>
>>121460412
>しないでくれないでくれ
double negative
>>
Seinen is for young adults and manchildren
Shonen is for young teens and actual children

They can be about ANYTHING
"powerlevel-based battle manga" is just apparently too many words for the people who want to cry about their existence on the daily
>>
>>121460609
I don't follow you. What's your point?
>>
>>121460677
> adding meaning of other words
you'll end up speaking with only one word... gr8 !
>>
>>121460412
>俺たち
speak for yourself, faggot
>緒にしなでくれないでくれ。
nice double negative you have there.
>>
>>121460769
That seinen is actually for mature people? Uh?
>>
>>121460881
Tell that to most languages ever, there is thousands of examples in English alone of words that are spelt and said the same, yet mean completely different things.
>>
>>121460940
Then you completely missed the point of my post.
>>
>>121460011
In mix magazine even typical shojo can become seinen. So it depends on the magazine.
>>
>>121460210
>外人は勝手だから
もちろん、お前も含めてな
勝手に日本語しゃべりやがって、DJTに行け
>>
Shounen and Seinen are just demographics, violence has nothing to do here - though the amount of violence in shounen manga magazines has gone down considerably compared to the 80s and early 90s.

The main distinction are the themes used in the stories. In shounen manga you usually get some come-of-age story, ideals, self-discovery, etc... Seinen is either for otaku stuff, or themes that appeal to older people.

It's funny, because the image in the OP works great. On the left you have a story about a teenager on a power-trip, trying to change a world he barely understands and he lost because of his immaturity.
On the right, you have a story about a bunch of people who decided to either leave their lives behind or lead a second life, in order to be able to drop their usual roles and find some degree of freedom and meaning in life.
>>
It always surprises me when I see that Nisekoi is in Shounen Jump.
>>
>>121460749
what is for actual adults
>>
>>121461361
Why? TLR started in WSJ as well, most harems are published in shounen magazines.
>>
>>121461371
Becoming a salaryman.
>>
>>121461371
>actual adults
>anime
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.