[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I must ask, is monogatari actually pretentious? Is it just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (284KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
284KB, 1440x810px
So I must ask, is monogatari actually pretentious? Is it just a pseudo Intellectual harem? or is it everything that the fan base says?

Let's have an actual discussion about this instead of posting waifus or using buzzwords or replies like 2deep4u.

My quick opinion on the series is that It's a great show. with characters that are both loveable and have actual depth rather then being cliche archetypes along with internal and external struggles that can add to their character while making them relatable. Each arc dealing with a character and adding to them. Add all this with a little bit of neat symbolism and foreshadowing, great animation and visual cues that add to getting certain messages across and dramatic effect and of course witty and entertaining dialogue. Thus you have monogatari. I am not gonna defend the fanservice and anyone who does is a faggot.

Discuss your thoughts on the series /a/

>Inb4 nice blog
>>
>>120526483
I have only seen bake and I don't really see what was so great about it other than the nice visuals
>>
>>120526614
Did you skip episode 12 or something?
>>
It's a Nisio story so it's a little more complex than most generic harems but not by much.

The actual source material is fine, but the anime is pretentious because of SHAFT. All those head tilts and blank animation frames make the series appear more artsy and complex than it really is. If you can get past that, it's worth watching.
>>
Everything you said is true except the fanservice part. No, the fanservice is not integral to the show, but it detracts nothing from the show and adds to the experience.

Also, /a/ does not know what "pretentious" means. They think it's synonymous with "stylish" and "has depth". But that's incorrect. Akame ga Kill is pretentious, Monogatari is not.
>>
>>120526483
>and anyone who does is a faggot.
So you're from reddit and bitch and moan about fanservice in anime because it's too degenerate for a mature individual such as yourself and your only real statement on it will be using the word "pandering" as much as possible?
>>
>>120526737
I think some of the visuals add to it but I can see why some of the visual cues like the blank animation frames and head tilts would come off as pretentious
>>
>>120526858
No it just adds nothing to the show nor does it detract anything, it's just I've heard some people say there's symbolism in the fanservice which is idiotic. it's just there for the sake of being there.
>>
I only watched the first series and about half of Nise, so I'm not completely enthused about the writing as a lot of people are.

Personally, I'd say the Suruga Monkey arc was the only one with particularly impressive writing. The way that the story kept the audience thinking that it was just a normal Monkey's Paw and it turning out to be something much more incriminating for a character that we already sympathized with was particularly impressive.

The rest of the arcs that I watched didn't seem quite so sharp.
>>
I honestly don't understand why so many talented people latch onto this shitty, generic show

There are other Nisio novels worthy of adaptation, but not this.
>>
>>120526737
>it's a little more complex than most generic harems but not by much.

I think It's rather complex, I'm not talking eva deep but after watching it multiple times I feel like I learn something new from the themes/messages it's trying to get across as well as learning and understanding the characters more. Few series can I have 5 hour discussions with people on characters and monogatari is one of the few for me
>>
Poor man's Mononoke.
>>
>>120527164
the scents arc was shit but the rest were decent to pretty good.
>>
>>120526483
>some anon shits up monogatari thread
>suddenly a damage control thread pops up
since when does a show need to be critically acclaimed for you to enjoy it? form your own fucking opinion, every anon here is retarded anyway
>>
>>120527126
>eva
>deep
The mental fapping over eva has got to stop.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.