[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How mainstream is anime now? Can I talk to people in their 30s

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

File: nhk.jpg (8KB, 201x251px) Image search: [Google]
nhk.jpg
8KB, 201x251px
How mainstream is anime now?

Can I talk to people in their 30s and have them understand what anime is?

Someone was telling me that liking anime is as mainstream as sports. But I couldn't fathom the idea.
>>
Roughly as mainstream as masturbating in public.

Your thread is shit.
>>
It's nowhere near sports level but it's slowly becoming more and more mainstream, even if only the SAOs and SNKs are what people know
>>
nope
well, maybe depending where you live
but still nowhere near as sports
>>
Anime will never be mainstream nor will it ever be.

Normalfags want it to be which is why they push for shit like SnK or your monthly new mature anime for mature people like myself. They want to make other people see the medium for more than what it is.

The problem is that cartoons in the west are seen in two ways.
Cartoons in the west are seen in two ways.
There are cartoons for kids and those for adults.
There can be kids shows with more mature themes and whatnot but they are still considered for kids.
And then you got cartoons for adults which are basically just adult jokes with animation.

Anime is different. It can be considered for teens since it carters to its demographic with tits and ass and is awesome for it.
Normalfags want anime to be accepted which is why they LOVE shit like SnK or your gritty mature anime because those are more likely to be accepted by normalfag society.

However, Japan doesn't make many of those which is why when anime does get seen in the west, they tend to be for kids/teenagers to a degree or another.

This is why shit that aired in toonami was only popular for kids/teens and no one else with only the few dedicated caring about it.
Anime only became a slightly more popular niche, but it remains a niche.

Don't ever expect that to change.
>>
>>120370677

Holy shit. So much bait.

>SnK
>mature and makes people see medium for more than what it is

>Toonami aired stuff popular for teens/kids
>berserk
>FLCL
>NGE

But clearly you're retarded so you should just probably just kill yourself. Save people the trouble of having to talk to you, /a/non.
>>
File: 1421956702765.jpg (72KB, 714x913px) Image search: [Google]
1421956702765.jpg
72KB, 714x913px
>>120370677
>Anime will never be mainstream nor will it ever be.
>>
It's in a very weird place right now. I know lots of 16-20 year old kids (guys and girls) who visit Tumblr and the like are "into" anime, but only NGE, Lain, and Sailor Moon. It's much more socially acceptable to say you watch it or like it now. They don't follow it or anything though.
>>
>>120370804
>>120370825
You clearly don't know the anime community.
>>
>>120370852

And nothing of value was lost.
>>
File: japanese comics.jpg (154KB, 1909x1026px) Image search: [Google]
japanese comics.jpg
154KB, 1909x1026px
>>120368223
>Can I talk to people in their 30s and have them understand what anime is?

You'd be surprised who is actually familiar with anime.
>>
>>120368223
>Anime
>As mainstream as sports

Holy shit you're fucking retarded.
>>
>>120370677
Normal people don't like retarded weeb shit like SnK you socially inept fucktard.
>>
>>120370977
Haha actually yeah they do.

My roommate watched 3 anime his whole life. He's the walking definition of normal-fag.

The 3 anime are SnK, Naruto and Samurai Champloo(only because I marathoned the whole thing one day).

You seem to be the one whose socially inept, buddy.
>>
>>120368279
I do this.
>>
>>120370977
SnK isn't weeb shit you jackass.

Weeb shit is Kantai Collection.

SnK is an entry-level anime.
>>
All right I'll tell you the facts.
If you go to a liberal arts college or even an STEM college in NYC or San Francisco you're gonna to get the illusion that anime is mainstream even if it's just SnK and SAO. Guess this applies to high schools in those places as well, and other places similar.

Literally 50% of the rest of the US has no clue what anime is at all. And of the other 50% maybe 9% has actually seen it, and not just heard about it from one of it's appearances on late night shows or south park.
>>
Anime isn't even mainstream in Japan. There a few series enjoyed by normalfags but the people that buy anime are otaku who want tits, ass and moe. Considering it is only normalfags in the west that want every anime to be like SnK or SAO . Anime will never become mainstream because westerners don't buy it so the majority of Anime will be catered to otaku. You have a couple of Anime every decade that are just so good they cater to everyone but that is it.
>>
File: 1406793587894.jpg (72KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1406793587894.jpg
72KB, 625x626px
>>120370977
>Normal people don't like retarded weeb shit like SnK
>>
KlK airing on Toonami will hopefully throw a wrench in the progress SnK has made.

Hopefully it will be like the Euphinator in terms of fucking up progress.
>>
>>120370977
A bunch of the older people at my office like SnK, granted, the company I work at it's not really surprising and I wouldn't quite call them normalfags but they're definitely not weebs either.
>>
>>120370902
>>
>>120371100
>>120371133

It's all weird Chinese cartoons to normal people dipshits. The people who watch SnK and shit are still the same dweebs who played yugioh at lunch in high school.
>>
>>120371361
Quite sure that SnK is just mainstream thing at this point. Plenty of normals watch it.
>>
>>120371344
I'm telling you guys, liberal arts states.
I bet you 100% that girl is from NYC or San Francisco.
>>
>>120371390
Quite sure you talk to nobody outside of a cricle of sperglord turbonerds if you think this.
>>
>>120371113
You're a idiot and need to go outside more.

Or just spend less time on /a/.
>>
>>120371361
>The people who watch SnK and shit are still the same dweebs who played yugioh at lunch in high school.
Normals fucking love SnK. It's the most mainstream anime to come out in a while and it's fairly obvious at this point. Where do you get this idea that only losers watch it?
>>
>>120371390
>>120371441
Dude seriously stop posting and lurk moar you fucking faggot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WawrfHBsCCA

/thread
>>
>>120371441
Dunno, nobody around here watches anime. Depens upon where you live
>>
>>120371509
>Teens react to X
Why do people watch this kind of shit at all? And why does it have so much views and likes? It's just cringeworthy.
>>
>>120371442
No you're the idiot and needs to go outside more.
There is nothing wrong about what I said.
>>
>>120371509
>Teens react to
>teens
>fucking teenagers reacting to anime

Goddamn, it's like I couldn't be more on the nose about this shit.
>>
>>120370977
You mistake normalfags for normal people, which is an easy mistake to make but a big one.
>>
>>120371509
>video from youtube of some sperglord turbonerds

Yeah, how about you lurk less and try talking to people in real life and you'll see that the "normal" people would rather watch Law & Order or some shit than a Chinese cartoon 90/100 times.
>>
>>120371604
well sometimes you get really curious, and then immediately regret it
>>
>>120371727
So by your definition a normalfag is anybody who doesn't like your particular brand of anime?
>>
>>120371604
Normies love anime.
>>120371622
Plenty. When an anime movie wins an Oscar, you fucking retarded if you think that 50% of people don't know what anime is.
>>120371661
What's your point, jackass? Today's teens are normies that love SnK.
>>
>>120371878
Can confirm. Unless you only count the chaddest of Chads, plenty of "normal" (go outside, parties, friends, gf) people I know watched SnK and others.
>>
>>120371878
Too bad five nerdy kids on a youtube video is not a representative sample of "today's teens".
>>
>>120371878
My point, obviously, was that anime is a niche fucking medium that is considered for teenagers.

For anime to be accepted by mainstream, it would have to be seen as something else other than for children/teenagers.
>>
File: 1409754493828.jpg (317KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1409754493828.jpg
317KB, 1200x900px
It's becoming mainstream enough that people, shitty pop culture celebrities in particular, and taking an interest in it on Netflix.

I'll give it about 5 years before it starts to become REALLY mainstream, and about 2 more before it hits maintstream level.
/a/ won't become shit though as long as it enforces the same community /a/ always has. Conditioning newfags to not be little shits and instead be kawaii lolis is /a/'s specialty. Just like it's /tg/'s specialty to make people hate warhammer.
>>
>>120371790
>thinks watching chinese cartoons is unique

hahaha okay. everyone's watched spirited away man. anime is mainstream. deal wit it.
>>
>>120371937
Today's teens think it's cool and ironic to like anime :)
>>
>>120368223
I'm 33 and I watch anime.

Then again, I started watching anime in the late 90s and I also post on 4chan.
>>
>>120371937
Yeah but the 9 million other people that viewed that and subsequently watched SnK is pretty representative.
>>120371969
Miyazaki films.
>>
Anime isn't even close to being mainstream, but it is closer tan it was say, 10 years ago. Which is ironic, as more and more anime have become otaku pandering in that time

Still, with the internet and late night TV around, manga being sold in book stores and VNs breaking records on steam sales I see it following the same path as video games: people start out thinking it's just a pasttime for kids and nerds until it has been spread so far that everyone but old fucks are watching it. Of course, all the shitty casual stuff will be the most popular, but it'll eventually be more or less normalfag to say you like anything except fap bait
>>
>>120372067
>Miyazaki films
Movies for children.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.