[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sometimes I wonder why these people even bother "translating"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 9

File: Clipboard01.jpg (220KB, 648x861px) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.jpg
220KB, 648x861px
Sometimes I wonder why these people even bother "translating" when they don't even fucking know English let alone Japanese.

Look at this shit. I haven't even made it past the first fucking page and already I want to kill myself.

LN thread I suppose.
>>
>HURRR DURRR THAT'S NOT THE TRANSLATOR'S FAULT! LN ALWAYS HAS SHIT WRITING, READ REAL BOOKS INSTEAD!

In b4.
>>
>>120243257
Attention.
>>
Would you rather have nothing? Who gives a fuck? They do it for free.
>>
This is your punishment for not knowing Japanese.
>>
>>120243448
>Would you rather have nothing?

Yes, actually. The existence of shitty translations makes it even less likely for it to be picked up by a competent translator.
>>
>>120243491
Not really.
You can still hope for an official release if you make sure local publishers notice its popularity.

Wait, do LNs get translated officially at all?
>>
>>120243257
It just means the person is a literal translator and a shitty localizer. Usually you have a second person be the localizer and quality checker for a small team of translators since that's an easier job than translating.
>>
>>120243448
>Stop complaining about that shit flavor ice cream! It's free! Would you rather have no ice cream?
>>
>>120243257
>I haven't even made it past the first fucking page and already I want to kill myself.
So since you obviously know enough Japanese to know what's supposedly wrong with it, why are you reading a translation?
>>
>>120243525
Log Horizon, Maou-sama and NGNL did get announced, I don't know if translation has started. SAO is definitely.
>>
>>120243525
Only some of the big ones. Like Haruhi and S&W. Even those are mostly dressed up to look like normal books.
>>
>>120243525
>Wait, do LNs get translated officially at all?

More than in the past, yeah. Yen Press is basically the only company in the market right now but they've been picking up more and more licences and their release schedule is faster than it used to be (snail rather than glacier).
>>
That's because Japanese is a shitty language, OP.
>>
>>120243548
I can tell you're from /v/ because of the duo shit/food analogy. Fuck off and get some better arguments that isn't just regurgitated greentext.
>>
>>120243554
I don't need to know Japanese to know that the text doesn't work in English.
>>
File: img000002.jpg (69KB, 834x1200px) Image search: [Google]
img000002.jpg
69KB, 834x1200px
>needing English or Japanese to scanlate
>>
>>120243624
Fuck
>>
File: laughing doctor.jpg (91KB, 415x340px) Image search: [Google]
laughing doctor.jpg
91KB, 415x340px
>>120243624
>>
>>120243601
I can tell you're new if you think it has anything to do with /v. It's a completely valid argument regardless. Being free does not mean it has immunity to complaints. Quite frankly, translations that bad are worse than having none, because if a translator with interest in a project sees someone working on it, they'll be less likely to pick it up, even if it's terrible.
>>
>>120243609
OK, then since your English is good, submit an edit to the guy so that the text is better written. Hell, why not become an editor for him if you like the material. Or are you just going to keep complaining and use >>120243491 as a sorry excuse?
>>
>>120243731
Editors are supposed to edit, not completely rewrite.
>>
>>120243731
That's beyond needing an edit. It needs to be retranslated from the start.
>>
>There was a face that's seen every days. With her black hair that's as if painted with black ink without any shadow tied in ponytail, and as she came running towards here, it grandly swaying just like a horse's tail.
感動しました
>>
>>120243257
>Translator picks up a series for translation practice
>Surprised the first chapter is bad
>>
>>120243257
Has anyone here actually managed to read this? Does the translation get better over time or does it stay bullshit?

They're up to chapter 44 already so they've had some time to practice, but it's not a good start.
>>
>>120243730
You're vastly, vastly overstating the case here. Translators do not randomly get interested in random webnovels to translate them unless they are extremely popular which isn't the case here. The person doing the series OP is bitching about picked it up because chapters are short and he wanted something to practice on.
>>
>>120243978
This isn't bad translation from Japanese (well, it might be but I can't read moon so I can't comment) so much as fucking awful translation into English.

I doubt he even qualifies as fluent in English. He's unfit to translate into it.
>>
>>120243992
He's a really literal translator which probably comes from not being a natural english speaker. I think the later chapters do get a ton better though at least in comparison to the start.

Honestly I had no problem reading through the chapters though I have to admit I naturally auto-correct grammar and shit in my head as I go.
>>
>>120243866
And this is why I hate playing vidya in Japanese despite knowing the language. The writing in popular media is insufferably bad.
>>
>>120244227
It's pretty fucking bad in English as well, mate.
>>
>>120243257
>from /crossiescum/
Can you stop ruining our board you fucking crossboarder scum.
>>
>>120244463
I've probably been here longer than you, boyo.
>>
>>120243257
>light novels are left to right?
I thought they were starting from the right and you read them going down
>>
>>120244043
Trust me. This is leagues above Zero no Tsukaima's translation.
>>
>>120244512
They typically are, but that's not a LN scan, it's a just translation next to a copy of the original text.
>>
>>120243803
Let me see your superior english edit.
>>
>>120243257
source?
>>
>>120243803
You don't know about Herkz, don't you?
>>
>>120244636
Battletoads no Historia.
>>
>>120243257
>/crossie/ knowing anything about nihon go
>I haven't even made it past the first fucking page and already I want to kill myself.

My english is sucks but your english is horrendous.

Even esl probably gonna laugh at you.
You should kill yourself.
>>
>>120244691
I haven't been around much the last few months. When did this >/crossie/ nonsense start?
>>
>>120244269
I know, but in the Japanese media it's on a whole new level. Statistics suggest that the Nips barely read any books and it definitely shows.
>>
>>120244740
Considering the fact that >>120244691 wasn't that guy's first post here, I assume it's a samefag of >>120244463.
>>
>Due to the wind, Lily’s kitsunemimi were pressed against her head as she gave a startle cry in surprise. Pressing on her hair accessory which added a bonus to her fine features, Kirino the dryad gave a laugh as she walked alongside Lily.

>“The winds that blow down into [Underwood] are quite strong. Be careful ne, Lily.”

Fuck this usagi tachi asobi with izayoi translator
>>
>>120245286
Is Vol.8 done yet? I don't like reading partial volumes.
>>
>>120245321
Only 1 side story and afterwords left, so yeah the main story is complete.

>After continuing this attack and defense maneuver for three more rounds, the both of them simultaneously launched a Hissatsu Waza

But seriously it's hard to read this, the english is fine though.
>>
>>120245286
>Be careful ne
What the fuck.
>>
>>120243257
fyi for people new here

Chingachongadandon. Dingwingwangadangdongdongdong
>>
>>120243257
>when they don't even fucking know English
I thought it was a given that translators at least know the language they're targeting.

Why the fuck are they trying to translate before even knowing how to write basic coherent sentences?

And why the fuck do shitty host sites like BT allow this level of incompetence?
>>
>>120245681
Because if not for these incompetent morons, there wouldn't be anybody translating those LNs.
>>
>>120245681
While BT is pretty shit, to be fair this one at least is just in a Google Docs folder.
>>
It is kind of sad how a lot of LNs could really use some love from an editor. Like the translation is there and with a bit of effort it's comprehensible but it would be so much better if someone took the time to ensure everything coherently fit into proper English syntax.
>>
>>120245839
I had to stop reading DxD even though I rather like it because the quality of the text in volume 17 was just too awful. I couldn't push myself through it.
>>
>>120245839
A lot of LN translations do have editors, I think what you mean here is a good editor, which are frankly pretty much nonexistent when it comes to this stuff.
>>
>>120245839
It's sadder that the people like you can only complain instead applying as editor or proofreader.
>>
>>120246027
>It's sadder that the people like you can only complain instead applying as editor or proofreader.
Not that guy, but even if I was good at English, I wouldn't want to edit text as I don't know a lick of Japanese. For all I know my coherent sentence could mean something completely different from the original text.
>>
>>120246557
Not him btw.
That's why you shouldn't complain when you know nothing about the language. It's annoyed a lot of people.
>>
>>120244227
Wat
>>
>>120246790
You don't need to know Japanese to know when the English is bad. Incoherent is incoherent.
You DO need to know Japanese if you want to edit them, because in this case, as pointed out, you need to ensure both coherency AND accuracy.
There's a very huge difference between the two situations. And why shouldn't you complain? If you screwed up, you screwed up. You can't expect people to ONLY sing you praises. Do note though, I do concede that there is a different between offering constructive criticism and endless bitching/ insult hurling.

You can complain, complaining is fine. It's being a douche about it that's unacceptable. And this goes the other way too. Yes, the translators dedicated their time so a bit of gratitude is fine. Being a stuck-up faggot (ala Prozess) however, isn't.
>>
>>120244938
>it's on a whole new level
Ha no. If anything, the average western FPS have even worse dialogues.
>>
>>120247964
I don't think the average first-person shooter is a great metric for the quality of western writing in media. Really, it's an awful one.
>>
>>120247901
Eh, PROzess seems fine to me. He's pissed off at people calling themselves translators when they're just churning out barely-editing machine translation garbage, which is entirely fair, and he's actually a professional so he is actually qualified to comment on the issue.
>>
>>120247901
>You DO need to know Japanese if you want to edit them.
Actually not.
That's just a lame excuse honestly.
Proofreader and editor usually different people. Translator usually not doing them all. He doesn't need to be fluent because there are edittor and proofreader to fix it.
>>
>>120248042
>PROzess seems fine
>Intentionally skipping a page because he didnt like it.
>>
>>120248099
Utter, utter bullshit.

If the translator isn't fluent in the target language then they're not a fucking translator. They're just some faggot with a dictionary.
>>
>>120248127
Really? Which LN? When?
>>
>>120248099
>He doesn't need to be fluent because there are editor and proofreader to fix it.
That sort of thinking is why the result is shit. Yes, a TL has to be fluent in both. That's the point of being a TL; you understand AND is being understood in two languages.

As for the editor, no he doesn't need to be as fluent as the TL, but he still has to know enough to ensure that he knows it won't make things less accurate. There are times when choice of words can get tricky and may not be easily understood when TL, so no, it is not excuse if you actually know what you're talking about (which clearly you don't).
>>
File: 1421571560087.jpg (73KB, 634x461px) Image search: [Google]
1421571560087.jpg
73KB, 634x461px
>>120248130
But that's how the scanlation operate. You must be new, just saiyan.
>>
>>120248275
That's how the shit ones operate, yes, and there are a lot of shit ones. That doesn't mean it's right or even acceptable.

Also I've been here since 05 so no.
>>
>>120248310
The guy that translates something and the guy the proofreads / edits something are two different people anon. Well maybe not on some of these one-man-project fan translations but that's generally how it's done.
>>
>>120246027
Looking at what OP posted, if I didn't know Japanese and had it side by side, I would not even know how to begin "editing" or "proofreading" that shit.

I wouldn't be editing it, I'd be re-fucking-translating it from the start.
>>
>>120248512
I'm not arguing that fact. But what comes from the TL to the editor should be readable English.

The editor's job is merely to clean it up a bit and make sure things like speech styles are preserved when a given character always speaks in a given manner. If the TL is very good, this job is easy. If the TL is merely adequate, it can be a bit more work and the editor should really know some of the original language. If the TL is bad, then this job is a nightmare and the editor basically has to become a second translator.

The proof-reader's job is, well, to read the proof, and to report to the editor any niggling issues that still exist, like doubled words etc.
>>
>>120248569
So, you're here just going to insult someone for something even yourself cannot do?

Honestly there are thousands ways to help making the translation better instead bring a negativity like your trolling.
>>
>>120248660
Translating something for yourself as a learning experience is fine. Getting advice and input from others is fine.

Simply releasing it into the wild with no provisos about it being shit self-training is simply irresponsible.
>>
>>120248653
For me it's readable because the sentence and the words are not ambiguous enough to be understood.
>>
>>120248660
>So, you're here just going to insult someone for something even yourself cannot do?
No, I can translate Japanese into actual, readable English. I am criticizing someone for something I am entirely capable of.
>>
>>120248711
Nobody force you to read it. So instead being a jerk why don't you appreciated his effort to help somebody that want a reveal about the novel
>>
>>120248798
If you have that capabilities how about try to translate the novel now and rest the case. Or you're just a liar?
>>
>>120248809
Clearly you're not a native English speaker so maybe that's why you find it more acceptable.

Regardless, "effort" is not good enough. This isn't a shounen manga where hard work and guts will let you succeed. Maybe he's tried hard, but he's failed, and failure does not deserve appreciation.
>>
>>120248862
Doing is louder than words. Translated for us instead trolling and insulting the communities.
>>
>yfw the guy with bad English attacking everyone ITT is the "translator" who spewed out the crap in the OP
>>
>>120248921
It's not trolling, you fucking idiot. And there ARE no fucking "communities" to BE insulted.
>>
File: 1421122546547s.jpg (3KB, 86x125px) Image search: [Google]
1421122546547s.jpg
3KB, 86x125px
Don't waste your breath to the troller m8. Reported and sage.
>Yfw the OP grammar himself is beyond bad.
>>
>>120248798
Then translate the text in OP's picture.
>>
>>120249025
>The OP's grammars
(fixed)
>>
>>120249025
OP's grammar is actually pretty reasonable native english. The lack of representative punctuation is as-spoken.
>>
>>120243257
Go translate them yourself then, you entitled piece of shit.
>>
>>120249025
(OP) What's wrong with the grammar in my post? I could probably do with an extra comma in the first and third sentences, but beyond that I don't see what problem you have with it.
>>
>>120249295
Nothing. Punctuation and grammar are completely different things. >>120249025 is a faggot.
>>
>>120245431
thank you
>>
>>120243491
Then why dont you learn moon runes and translate it yourself?
>>
>>120249385
Because I'm lazy.

But my own laziness doesn't excuse the laziness of others.
>>
>>120249348
Punctuation is sometimes required for grammar's sake but in english this is typically reserved for resolving ambiguity. For example, the commas of lists, the semicolons of compound sentences, and the hyphens of inline clauses should never be forgotten. But leaving aside inversion indicators is fine as long as the resulting sentence is unambiguous.
>>
>>120249295
>and already I want to kill myself.
and I already want to kill myself.
This one was too obvious.
Even ESL can spot it instantly
>>
>>120249433
Punctuation can imply a specific prosodic structure that would resolve a syntactic ambiguity. That doesn't make it the same as grammar. No orthographical defect (spelling, punctuation, inserting the wrong homophone) is a grammatical defect.
>>
>>120249572
That's a perfectly legitimate construction. The "already" is parenthetical but without punctuation due to it being casual speech. It should be read with stress on the "already".
>>
>>120249572
There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>120248798
We're waiting.
>>
>>120249682
Not him, what are you waiting for?
He never said he'd do it, and just because he can doesn't mean he should.

Besides the fact that going "Oh yeah? Why don't you do it" isn't an argument.
>>
>>120249916
Because if you state your skills without proof you might as well not state it at all.
>>
File: krugmanlol.jpg (72KB, 512x683px) Image search: [Google]
krugmanlol.jpg
72KB, 512x683px
>>120249999
quads confirm the wisdom
>>
File: 1421534547698.jpg (578KB, 2329x2926px) Image search: [Google]
1421534547698.jpg
578KB, 2329x2926px
I'd like to put in my two cents on the whole proofreader and editor thing:

Either of those with at least some basic understanding of both languages is much more preferable to anyone who's only got knowledge of the target language regardless of their mastery over it.

When I was still active in the scanlating community the groups I used to work always seem to send overly eager proofreaders my way. I've always had a very strong grasp over english so there's really wasn't much for them to do but clear away typos, grammar mistakes and doubled up words. Occasionally, I'd mark out bits I'd leave up to their discretion when I couldn't come up with a good way to phrase them but more often than not these overly eager proofreaders change words or whole phrases to spice up the dialogue without checking back with me before they gave the typesetters the go ahead.

This resulted in portions of the script dropping or adding new nuances sometimes to the point of changing the meaning or characterization entirely. It's very important for people in these roles to understand the limitations of their roles and ability. Lack of awareness in that regard and overstepping boundaries result in slight inaccuracies at best, commie-tier work at worst and an annoyed translator cursing the idiots who undid their effort.

Also, twintailfags can expect a short translated interview with the creators in the /m/ thread later.
>>
>>120243257
Because most 'translators' are spics, slavshits and other kinds of untermensch whose mother tongue isn't English. It's obvious why all their translations look like something a person with a down's would write. Just learn jap and don't ever bother reading a translation done by a 15-yo cocksucker who lives in a shed somewhere in Mexico.
>>
>>120251519
>learning moonrune
Confirmed for newfag.
>>
>>120252034
>2015
>not learning moonrune

Enjoy your machine translated aids (Witch are just a selected 5% of the total material that is available on the interwebs)
>>
File: 1419530286966.png (25KB, 213x214px) Image search: [Google]
1419530286966.png
25KB, 213x214px
>>120251968
>>120252034
>Deleting your shitpost
Thread posts: 107
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.