[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the hell did I just watch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

File: utena.jpg (36KB, 269x400px) Image search: [Google]
utena.jpg
36KB, 269x400px
What the hell did I just watch
>>
>>119865325

One of the greatest anime of all time.
>>
>>119865325
Ikuhara's first and last good anime.
>>
You haven't seen anything if you haven't watched the movie.
>>
The single 10/10 anime series made so far.

Make sure to rewatch it once your thoughts have settled down, OP.
>>
>>119865325
I just finished this today as well.
What was the main point of this series?
A revolutionary world with no racism, gender and sexuality complexes?
>>
>>119865407
>ikuhara's

Stop, Utena was good because of the other gifted people actually making sense of Ikuhara's shit and presenting it in a relatively eaay to digest way. The first two episodes of lesbobears is what you get when he works alone.

Hell, Star Driver felt a lot more like a successor to Utena than Penguindrum did.
>>
Madoka Magica for hipsters and tryhards, usually a combination of both
>>
>>119865464
Daily reminder that Utena is an inferior rip-off of Rose of Versailles and Onii Sama E.
>>
>>119865590
This.
>>
>>119865590
I disagree, Star Driver feels like a watered down Utena clone, Penguindrum feels like something new that's built on Utena. Neither are anywhere near Utena but Penguindrum is more like a successor.
>>
>>119865625
>Rose of Versailles
>old works must be the same
>>
Great direction and style. A solid series. Not as "deep" and "complicated" as people make it out to be. The movie is overrated as hell.
>>
>>119865590
>Star Driver felt a lot more like a successor to Utena than Penguindrum did.
Star Driver sure felt closer to Utena, but it was also a failure.
It was so bad they had to do Captain Earth to get a meh attempt at the same formula.
>>
>>119865539
>A revolutionary world with no racism, gender and sexuality complexes?
????
No, it was about what growing up entails and what are the good ways for a person to reach adulthood as opposed to being confronted with it too soob.
There is a lot of hidden shit that expands downwards into depths, but this basic premise really wasn't rocket science.
>>
>>119865590
Am I the only one who thinks Diebuster is the true successor to Utena?
>>
>>119865590
I sure hope those gifted people you speak of had nothing to do with the stupid time-wasting shadow bitches.
>>
File: 1256179641024.jpg (66KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1256179641024.jpg
66KB, 320x320px
>>119865667
The author even admits it. Check yourself, before you wreck yourself, pleb.
>>
>>119865734
>time-wasting
The shadowplays were genuinely too deep for you.

Terms of a Duelist was some Kubrick shit.
>>
>>119865734
>stupid time-wasting shadow bitches.
What was the point of that scenes again?
>>
>>119865625
Rose of Versailles and Onii Sama e are good dramas but they don't come anywhere near Utena in terms of direction or complexity within characters and their relationships.
>>
>>119865539
I don't know how you missed the point so hard, but making a revolution = moving the clock forward. Everyone in Utena is trapped inside their own past, that is the Power of Eternity, and only by making a revolution can they escape Ohtori Academy. That's what it means to be a chick whose trapped inside its own shell, before it can be born it has to break out.
>>
>>119865724
I can definitely see it in TTGL, what with the theatrical elements. Diebuster felt sort of too elsewhere thematically.
>>
>>119865325
Kill La Kill
>>
A lot of baroque nonsense from a "genius of style" who thinks symbolism should be the equivalent of a cryptic street sign instead of an evocative representation of an idea
>>
>>119865903
Which one do you mean in particular? They always reference the events of the episode in the form of a short sketch. They also tell you how outsiders see the events.
>>
>>119865903
I think the shadow plays girls represent the theatrical awareness of the series as their sarcastic tone and acts simplify the essence of the episodes and make the viewer aware of how the characters within Ohtori Academy are operating like a play for Akio to amuse himself, like cogs in his machinations.
>>
>>119866098
>baroque
You probably meant avant-garde, but don't know enough about art to avoid missing by two centuries.
>>
>>119866098
>an evocative representation of an idea
You just described Adolescence of Utena's symbolism.
>>
File: killlaeggshell.jpg (713KB, 680x3828px) Image search: [Google]
killlaeggshell.jpg
713KB, 680x3828px
>>119866019
Not really
>>
>>119866289
"Baroque" can refer either to the style of 17th century art or it can just mean a more general "overdone." Go back to Intro to Art History faggot
>>
>>119865625
>inferior
>>
>>119866406
Personally, I like Utena most, but I could absolutely agree that it is inferior.
>>
>>119866406

>>119865826
>>
>>119866395
>or it can just mean a more general "overdone."
Nah, never overdone.
It usually means pompous, but without any negative connotations.
>>
>>119866447
Why should I care what quality judgments authors make? If Dall-Young said that Freezing was great, would you quote that to me as if it proves anything?
>>
>>119866463
>It usually means pompous
Christ /a/ is retarded. No it doesn't. This is basic dictionary shit here
>>
>>119866594
It is, yes.
My dictionary tells me it means complex, extravagant and, yes, pompous.
>>
>>119866395
But anon, I graduated a long time ago :^)

It refers to a specific shape, the curl. They cut the budget on animation wherever they could, so I don't really see where you're coming from.
>>
>>119866547
>Why should I care what quality judgments authors make?

Because the author knows more than you, you gay nigger.
>>
ZETTAI UNMEI MOKUSHIROKU
>>
>>119865590
Penguindrum and YKA are better than Utena though.
>>
>>119866829
That logic is idiotic, for reasons that should be obvious and that I've already indicated.
>>
>>119866880
sure thing buddy
>>
>>119865625
Revolutionary Girl Utena > Rose of Versailles, Onii Sama e, Belladonna of Sadness, Demian, Pastoral: To Die in the Country, Sailor Moon.
>>
File: Baracko Barner.jpg (112KB, 568x346px) Image search: [Google]
Baracko Barner.jpg
112KB, 568x346px
>>119866902
>I don't need to give any counter argument, because those were already given!
>It's obviously not the case
The typical utenafag reaction again. It gets me everytime.
>>
File: TOPKEK.jpg (134KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
TOPKEK.jpg
134KB, 500x500px
>>119866880
>>
>>119865325
>What the hell did I just watch
This is literally the number 1 op to instantly know that a thread will be shit.
>>
>>119867027
Apparently you're too stupid for it to be obvious for you.

>If Dall-Young said that Freezing was great, would you quote that to me as if it proves anything?
>Dall-Young knows more than us so his opinion must be right
>so Freezing is great if the author says so

Is that clear enough for you to follow along now? Or do you need me to use smaller words?
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.