[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it wrong to appreciate anime primarily as a visual medium?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

File: animeart.png (428KB, 538x621px) Image search: [Google]
animeart.png
428KB, 538x621px
Is it wrong to appreciate anime primarily as a visual medium?
>>
>>119519791
Wow, so meta. That show is like the Community of anime. It thinks it's smart by referencing itself but gets tired fast.
>>
armpit
>>
Yes. You are literally the faggots that killed video games because of muh graphics.
>>
>>119519791
>Monogatari series
It's true.
>>
It's wrong to appreciate shitty season harem shows primarily for their visual value
>>
>>119519887
I'm just trying to understand what it's saying.
I mean there are tons of tv anime, or anime films that are recognized entirely because of their animation. Many have won awards for this.
>>
>>119519791
I think thats the smart way to anime. Otherwise you get too wrapped up in drama and asspull bullshit and before you know it you get off to killing little girls.

Appreciate it for the visuals and believe you have a fun experience because your eye was appealed to.
>>
>>119519918
But the equivalent would be enjoying video games purely as games, and disregarding things like graphics/story.
>>
Yes.
>>
>>119519791
This is wrong.
>anime with good artwork
Most anime have incredibly generic art style that is hardly impressive for anyone with some knowledge about animation.
Good artwork is unique and original, not bland and forgettable. People who worship anime with good artwork (series like Kaiba, Tatami Galaxy or Jinrui) have nothing to do with the decline of the anime industry.
>>
How are people who 'worship' old anime with good artstyles effecting the industry at all?

Classics re-released on BD don't make THAT huge of an impact. And that's the only real way they could effect the industry one way or another.
>>
>>119520007
You can have a game without story but you can't have a game without gameplay.
>>
>>119520106
I don't see how those people change anything about the industry at all. OPs image seems to be making a small minority into a scapegoat.
>>
>>119520192
Exactly.
And you can have an anime without story but you can't have an anime without animation. Because then it just falls into another medium.
>>
>>119520226
It implies that generic harems and similar shit have good artwork and nothing else. Except they don't have good artwork at all.
>>
It's like asking this question about film. Yeah, anime is basically an extension of still artwork used to tell stories, so paying attention to how it works visually is of chief importance. To boil it down to "dis art looks gud, nice graphics mang" like some do, though, is cancerous.
>>
>>119520007
How do you figure that? It's exactly the same in both cases. You forsake everything else, but make the visual experience pleasant.

I wonder what KyoAni fans think of Iblard Jikan?
>>
If I don't give one shit about the characters, I won't even make it past episode 1.
>>
>>119520271
>but you can't have an anime without animation
What about an anime made of still pictures?
>>
File: 1405299045246.jpg (3MB, 2417x1984px) Image search: [Google]
1405299045246.jpg
3MB, 2417x1984px
>>119520106
>>
>>119520106
If you're worshipping Kaiba, Tatami Galaxy and Jinrui for their artwork and not the product as a whole, then yes you are the cancer the girl in OP's pic is talking about.
>>
>>119520302
Because video games are regarded for their interactive element, where anime is not.
>>
>>119520358
Artwork makes them more unique looking. I don't think I would enjoy the plot of Tatami Galaxy with generic LN adaptation art.
>>
>>119520331
Animation IS a series a still pictures.
>>
>>119520430
Then maybe you should kill yourself.
>>
>>119520335
Even on this picture many of them look similar.
>>
>>119520331

Anime is just a slideshow of still pictures played at 24 pictures a second.
>>
>>119519918
Video games are an interactive medium first and visual second. Anime is purely a visual medium. If the only thing you're good for is shit then you're probably shit.
>>
>>119520335
>cherrypicking
>>
>>119520489

>on this picture

in this picture, not on
>>
>>119519791
>MUH DELIBERATELY UGLY ART TO DISTANCE FROM KAWAII CUS THIS R SRS SHOW
GO TO BED YUASA

>>119519894
BASED
>>
>>119520468
That imitate movement. What about something like Derek Jarman's Blue?
>>119520486
Why? Art is a very important part in animation.
>>
>>119520358
I don't know about the other shows, but Kaiba presents a huge portion of it's atmosphere and even story telling through animation.
The Patches episode comes to mind. It's not an exaggeration to say the leading element in that show WAS the animation. (Sound was certainly important too though)
>>
>>119519958
Yep, example: Garden of Words.
>>
>>119519894
underrated post.
>>
File: 1405803104604.jpg (112KB, 959x537px) Image search: [Google]
1405803104604.jpg
112KB, 959x537px
When they say "Behind the decline of Anime" what do you think they're talking about? If the visuals are great the only thing left is the content of the anime. And yeah, if you make a high visual waifu generator, people eat that shit up. Look at INFINITE motherfucking STRATOS, it was fun to watch with /a/, but overall the story was awful, but you know what? ITS FUCKING SELLS, REALLY REALLY WELL. Its profitable to make visual pleasing harem anime, and while its fun to watch them with /a/, its not a real story, its nothing I'd brag about watching. But why put effort into a show when you know you'll make money on selling best girl figurines, merch, dvds, and licensing? Its just degrading to anime as a whole if we promote this shit.
>>
>>119520486
Why? Tatami's plot was nothing special, it was the art and character interaction.
>>
>>119520567
OP here.
I'm not really sure what you are referring to.
When I think of classics regarded for their animation I was assuming it meant things like Miyazaki films.
>>
File: seth macfarlane brainstorming.png (2MB, 610x1400px) Image search: [Google]
seth macfarlane brainstorming.png
2MB, 610x1400px
>>119520489
>>119520519
There's still more variation than Wstern Animation. It's hard to find anything that isn't 3DCG, Flash animated or animated in the Family Guy style. The only exception I can think of is Archer (which actually debuts a new season in four hours.)
>>
>>119520692
I didn't think the statement had anythign to do with a show like Infinite Stratos, since the implication was that the series in question have a 'good artstyle'. You're describing an anime that gets by on appealing to the lowest common denominator. That's not what comes to mind for me when I think 'good'.
>>
>>119519791
>Is it wrong to appreciate anime primarily as a visual medium?
It IS a visual medium. How else are you supposed to primarily appreciate it? By the writing?
>>
>>119520489
Yes, some of them seem to be included purely for being favorites, rather than to support the point.
>>
>>119520713
>There's still more variation than Wstern Animation.
Watch more independent works. And hell, even older CN cartoons were all pretty different.

>It's hard to find anything that isn't 3DCG, Flash animated or animated in the Family Guy style.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-CJ8O2IUcg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgbXWt8kM5Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJcVnFripdc
>>
>>119520848
Well, that's the notion I got from the message the image was trying to state.

I thought it was kind of silly to, which is why I even questioned it.

It's not that I don't think anime can have a good story. But I don't think it's how a series catches your eye in the first place, or even what most viewers come for.
>>
>>119520650
This looks like it's a really good example of something that really shoots down the OP image's statement.
>>
File: JwQwlVc.jpg (93KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
JwQwlVc.jpg
93KB, 1280x720px
>>119520697
PINGPONG IS A REFERENCE

EVERYONES AOTY 2014 SUCKING YUASA'S DICK
>>
>>119520924
Of course obscure animation doesn't exist. I'm saying that things like that shouldn't have to be obscure because every other cartoon is cranked out in Flash.
>>
>>119520812
You are arguing the point I am trying to make.

Inifinte Stratos isn;t good at all. But the visuals were really good, and it was extremely profitable. That screams to other producers that paying for a really good story and hard work doesn't pay nearly as well has a high def harem anime.

The same could be said about really nice visual anime that aren't Harems such has Hyoka, or fucking Aldnoah Zero. It looks really fucking nice, and sells really well. But in the end, was the content all that good? Not really.
>>
>>119521016
But a series like that isn't likely to have a particular impact on the industry... ( and being responsible for the decline of the anime industry is part of the claim at hand)

If it DID have an impact, I would be very surprised.
>>
File: 1297481326224.png (531KB, 1414x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1297481326224.png
531KB, 1414x1200px
>>119520697

>Classics like Miyazaki films.
>>
>>119521135
>Inifinte Stratos isn;t good at all. But the visuals were really good
... Who thinks that? I don't even think fans will try that hard to pretend IS had a particulairly strong visual showing.
>>
>>119519791
Post more armpits.

girls with arms over their head while laying on their back is the greatest position of ALL TIME
>>
>>119521135
>Infinite Startos
>Aldnoah Zero
They don't look nice. The only nice looking anime on your list is Hyouka.
>>
>>119519894
First thing I noticed
>>
>>119521194
'Classics' implies broad appeal and notoriety, not personal opinion.
>>
>>119519791
You mean you watch anime with sound off?
>>
>>119521230
>>119521216

Alright lets just say that you're right, all of the anime I listed as visually appeal were mediocre. All I'm saying is visually appealing anime sells. However, just some pretty pictures doesn't make an anime a good anime, can you agree on that?
>>
>>119521506
>However, just some pretty pictures doesn't make an anime a good anime, can you agree on that?
Of course not, but I'll watch something that's visually stunning and has fantastic animation even if everything else about it is shit simply because I have an appreciation for technical skill.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.