[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fansub is now more or less dead The real question is, are you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 9

File: Fansub.jpg (16KB, 206x254px) Image search: [Google]
Fansub.jpg
16KB, 206x254px
Fansub is now more or less dead

The real question is, are you /a/nons really sorry about that?
>>
The main reason Japan dislikes fansubs is because japanese otaku just download the fansubbed verison and turn the subs off. They could really care less, official subs and dubs are really just pocket change for them.
>>
>>119440994
How about you post a fucking pic that I can read in one click.
>>
OP is more or less a faggot.

The real question is, are you /a/nons really sorry about that?
>>
fansub groups were, for the most part, attention whores that didn't actually care much for the activity of subbing anime nor the quality of the subs they put out

once crunch roll came along and everyone started using them since they were faster, the fansubbers became attention starved and quit en masse
>>
>>119441288
Hate to agree with this faggot but he's right.

Fansubers just want to have a platform to be heard and like to have an augmented sense of self-importance. Take the audience of retards away and they won't have any of that which brings us to the current situation.

>"Well Crunchy is doing a pretty good job so we're unneeded."
Is a line they love to repeat but it's mostly bullshit. That never stopped 3-12 fansubs from covering just one anime. And the reason why they all did it? Because that anime happened to be the flavor of the season.
>>
>>119441288
No, they just started working for CR. No, really, I used to talk with one of gg's staff regularly, and he and several people (who had hands or at least helped) in MANY fansub groups were working for CR. The real problem with this, and with CR, is that movie, OVA releases (even of major shows), and BD releases (even of major shows) that are suffering immense disregard.

There is also little or no quality control, as they no longer have any real competition. Funi encodes are, and always will be ass with added dubtitles. Aniplex encodes are ass (oh god the Oreimo BDs, oh god, I actually paid money for that shit, what the fuck was I smoking that night?) with piss-yellow subs and multiple grammatical errors. CR is outdated memes and Internet pandering. With poor quality control, but passable encodes.

It's getting to the point where I almost miss hedena... almost. At least I could rest easy knowing that people weren't paying for that shit.
>>
>>119440994
>Picture for ants
>>
Yeah, it makes me kind of sad. I remember getting an EoE fansub tape from some guy in IRC, that was a great memory. Fansubs are pretty much done, but I'm still not ever going to pay for a fucking streaming service. Fuck that.
>>
File: 1317802299428.jpg (121KB, 662x807px) Image search: [Google]
1317802299428.jpg
121KB, 662x807px
>>119441794
>That never stopped 3-12 fansubs from covering just one anime.
>>
>>119441810
>Aniplex encodes are ass (oh god the Oreimo BDs, oh god, I actually paid money for that shit, what the fuck was I smoking that night?) with piss-yellow subs and multiple grammatical errors.

As far as I remember, it was the same shit with the Japanese releases. Out of curiosity, where the hell would you get better versions?
>>
>>119441085
Or Japanese otaku could just get raws which are labeled as such in their native language...
>>
>>119441948
This, >>119441085
Is a retard, they download raws off of PD.
>>
One anon will rise up and save us all.
>>
>>119440994

Can Japs get CR subscription and watch anime on CR?
>>
>>119442035
No they won't, even reddit mobilizes faster than /a/ these days.
>>
Commie and Vivid killed fansubbing with MEMES. When they started subbing, fansubbing, which was once an honorable pursuit, lost all integrity and became a platform from which redditors, such as Herkz and Xythar, could proliferate their epic jokes whilst accruing enough donation money to pay for new monitors and con trips.
>>
Has anyone who never learned japanese tried fansubbing by using the common phrases and words they remember from anime?
>>
>>119442038
>Dear non-North Americans: no.
>Sincerely, CrunchyRoll.
>>
>>119442102
Yes

It didn't work out well so I scrapped all of them
>>
>>119442102
During my brief time fansubbing, I met a TL who said he acquired his understanding of Japanese almost entirely through anime. Not sure if he was telling the truth or how good his translations actually were.
>>
>>119440994

What fan-subtitle when 99% are CR/Funi rips?

Are they still in 90ies?
>>
>>119440994
I don't really care as long as I still get to watch subtitled anime.
>>
>>119442102
Sometimes I might watch something raw and then later watch subs to see how much I really understood.
>>
If you download cartel subs you deserve what you get.
>>
>>119441904
There's no way that the BD releases in Japan were worse than the Aniplex releases. The video had a tendency to... pink out, as in the screen would turn pink for several seconds throughout several episodes. The video was poorly scaled down for some fucking reason. And so were the piss-yellow subs. Imagine, subs that were not only industry standardâ„¢ piss-yellow, but also had a jaggy outline to them. And the contrast was eye raping too. Just, holy fuck, I doubt that the quality degradation was intentional, because there was no way that ANY encode could be that perfectly bad. I'd sooner pop in my old VHS tapes than go through that shit.

Money, I PAID MONEY, goddamn, the fuck was wrong with me?
>>
>>119442212
You still will, except your only choice for certain shows may now be shit-tier Funi rips, which are hardsubbed and look like cancer.
>>
Oh no I can't get internet famous and attention whore from my fucking chinese cartoon subtitles I have to do the most popular show or else it isn't worth it
>>
>>119442249
The hard subbing isn't the problem with funi releases, it's the fact that you could see the contrast through a goddamn cataract. It's like I'm playing a modern shooter with all of that bright.

>>119442212
Hope what you're watching isn't a movie or an OVA, otherwise, expect releases that have the release schedule of /m/'s Layzner subs.
>>
But who is going to sub movies and OVAs and shows that CR didn't pick up?
>>
>>119441794
>That never stopped 3-12 fansubs from covering just one anime.

We actually get better coverage these days now that Funi and Crunchy rips have decimated the fansubbing community. There are only two niches left to get attention from, cribbing the simulcast scripts and altering lines in ways that you know will piss people off or being the only group subbing a show that doesn't get picked up for simulcast. Back in the day there were usually several shows per season that a small fanbase wanted subs for that nobody picked up because they were busy being the fortieth group to sub that season's super popular generic shonen trash.
>>
Fansubs should really only exist for archival purposes/BD releases
Too bad they don't fucking do BD releases hardly at all anymore. Remember how fucking good the coalgirls releases of SEL and Hyouka were? Or shit, ANE's Bakemonogatari? Or Thora's fucking anything? What happened to those groups?
>>
File: 1396459775183.png (162KB, 284x281px) Image search: [Google]
1396459775183.png
162KB, 284x281px
>>119442148
I feel a bit sorry for you if you actually believe him.
>>
>>119442304
>What happened to those groups?

It's really the same explanation as to why fansubbing in its entirety is fading. There's a lack of demand. People would rather work on TV projects because they get more downloads that way, and a lot of fansubbers have moved on because they don't have as much time to dedicate to it or the desire is no longer there. However, no one is stepping in to fill the need, because it's so much work for little return, and the return they're looking for is recognition through downloads. Fewer people are learning how to fansub because it's perceived as being a redundant pursuit, and therefore there are fewer people available to do BD projects, which don't have the demand that TV projects do.
>>
>Groups that use CR subs and video
Why even bother at this point
>>
>>119442247
Sorry to tell you anon, but they were the same thing in Japan. There may have been some minor scale down but that's about it and I actually doubt it. I don't remember any sort of issues with the picture quality beyond that.

The subs were, in fact, a bit fucked up. I remember typos and some mistranslations in there. Hell, I remember them being better than fansubs in some episodes. And yes, piss yellow subs need to go back to the late 90s early 00s.

It's a bit late for me to check differences between image samples. Will do if the thread stays alive for another 8 hours. Doubt it, though.
>>
>>119442432
Better typesetting, translated songs, and hopefully a properly TLCed/edited script. The problem is that some groups do such a fucking awful job at the TLC/editing that they make the script worse and their release worthless.
>>
As long as movies and OVAs exist, we'll have real fansubbers, even if it's just random anons coming together for one project.

BD translations are becoming rarer and rarer, unfortunately. I think in the next 5 years we'll stop seeing any BD releases for even the most popular shows, given the current trend.
>>
>>119442575
>even if it's just random anons coming together for one project.

Those releases are usually terrible, though.
>>
It's only a short time until Japan cuts the middle man and just includes an EN sub track on their blu rays and expects us to pay JP prices for them. We're halfway there. The only thing saving us from that is CR and Funi.
>>
>>119442575

That'd be a real shame for newer series, but I'd hope encoders would still be around to put together BD releases for older anime that already have subs. Even with how things are now, I guess slapping CR subs onto a BD is still better than watching HorribleSubs.
>>
>>119442446
Christ, really? I think I gave Aniplex USA a bit too much shit then.

>>119442612
But that's what we actually want.
>>
>>119442111

If you don't live in the US, Japan or Canada you're basically retarded.
>>
>CR will save fansub they said
>CR does nothing for OVAs, movies, or simply anything that is not TVA

And the good news is that a number of anime releases outside TV broadcast is increasing in Japan
>>
>>119442665

I assure you, you do not want to pay JP prices.
>>
>>119442612

It would definitely give more pause to those who want to purchase a series, but if the Japanese PRs step up their game and run a hiring spree of talented multilingual consultants and translators then they could really get it off the ground. The thing limiting them is what's always limited them: unwillingness to have foreigners working physically with them over there.
>>
>>119442612
That would make things a whole lot easier. The only question would be over how good their subs would be.
>>
>>119442726
No, but BDs with subs attached means that we'll get faster rips. Something we don't have now.
>>
>>119442726
Yeah, because the only we could ever get our hands on any of those BDs is if we bought them. The Japs never upload BD rips and no one in the west who imported them would be willing to rip them, either.
>>
>>119441085
You can't be this retarded nigga.
>>
File: nt.jpg (290KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
nt.jpg
290KB, 1920x1080px
>>119442612
They've already started for some series. It's usually the Japanese Box Sets that have them.

>>119442665
The US version of the BDs were the exact same as the Japanese version. Yes, even the subs were also available on the Japanese version. Literally no changes beyond that except that the US version eventually had a higher price. In any case, BDs are out and I'm gonna start ripping some of the singles to for comparison.

Yep, this is gonna have to wait till later. I can't even quote properly.
>>
>>119442605
Yeah well deal with it. All the fansubbers with talent are working for CR now.

All we have left are the worst of the fansubbing scene, which is why fansubs are so terrible these days.
>>
Quick, guys. Say as much stupid and outlandish shit about Commie and the cartel as you can. You might get on Herkz's twitter. You'll be internet famous. You might even get a run on Xythar's.
>>
>>119442732
>>119442738
LLfag here. I'll say the EN subs from JP's release were pretty decent.
It probably doesn't mean much, given the rarity in having EN sub tracks in the first place. But it's a good start, right?

There weren't honorifics though, in case anyone wants to know that
>>
I miss fast and consistent UTW releases
>>
>>119442111
I live in AUS and I can use CR.
>>
>>119440994
I don't even know. All I know it:

* FUNi and Crunch expect you to pay MONEY for subbed animu; low quality, flippant translations, DRM, and all.

* They expect you to PAY MONEY for animu you MIGHT NOT LIKE. And by the time you dropped it, you'd ended up "supporting" some animu title you DO NOT LIKE and had basically added (the little you gave) to a 2nd season of that shit.

That's supposedly why we have Bakedfish and Deadfish. We're suppose to wait until the dust settles and subtitled anime can be watched WITHOUT the bullshit.

So I don't believe the guy who says that "subtitling is dead." It's just filled with shit, just like everything else.

Be patient. Be FUCKING patient.
>>
>>119443133
I miss Hadena. They were the fastest.
>>
>>119443163
>Deadfish
>>
>>119442973

Their song translations suck.
>>
>>119443163
>That's supposedly why we have Bakedfish and Deadfish

You fucking retard.
>>
File: smug anime girl 6.png (120KB, 401x338px) Image search: [Google]
smug anime girl 6.png
120KB, 401x338px
>>119442973
>there are people that UNIRONICALLY like memesubs
>>
>>119443133

But we have Underwater.
>>
>>119443163
>They expect you to PAY MONEY for animu you MIGHT NOT LIKE
They don't have the "free", albeit crippled, accounts anymore?
>>
>Commie
>Multiple shows behind by months
>PLS GIBE US MONEY NEED TO GO ON CON TRIPS
>>
>>119443237
They do, that guys just retarded. I mean Bakedfish and Deadfish, jesus christ.
>>
>>119443237
They do, but you can't watch newly released episodes until a week later.
>>
>>119443442
Right, I forgot about that. (Probably on purpose.)
>>
>>119443163
But that's how things work, stupid. Theater, restaurant, concert, etc...have you ever paid money AFTER you think you want to pay for it?
>>
>go to nyaa
>everything i look for is just there, with plenty of seeds

what are you talking about, y'all?
>>
>>119443675

Atleast I get what I wanted at restaurants.
Concerts, depends on whoever.
I hardly ever go watch movies...

The Wapanese Animu Industry is basically asking me to open my mouth so they can shove their (mainly anti-gaijin and anti-male) views down my throat. And then they expect me to hand them money and gleefully accept their SHIT.

I mean, maybe I want for them to make the type of shows _I_ would like and pay for. They're few and far between, but I atleast bought them.

Finally; here you are making insults... I just saved a ton of money and time from not selling my soul to a demon who'd rather let its employees die from overwork than create something for those outside their downward spiral that's even WORTH $300+ for 12 episodes.

tl;dr?dc.
>>
>>119440994
The thing is, it only takes a few months to learn enough Japanese to watch these shows without subtitles. Maybe 6 months at the worst. Fansubs are only meant to be a temporary thing you use while you're still learning. How can anyone really get all that motivated about making them? Your audience is constantly outgrowing you.
>>
The reason I don't pay for CR or Funishit is because I can get a vastly superior product of the same thing for absolutely nothing.

When "legal" outlets get their shit together and actually release anime in a format that I want it in, then maybe I'll pay for it provided they offer it to me at a reasonable price.
>>
>>119444442
>reasonable price
You're better off buying manga, anime is niche for a reason.
>>
>>119442779
I know I don't. Suck my dick poorfags.
>>
>>119444283
Anti-gaijin I can buy, but anti-male?
>>
>>119444283
>anti-male
...what?
>>
>>119444566
You should know he's an idiot just by how he types.
>>
>>119444493
I do. I hate reading manga on a screen.
The Book Depository is great, and most official manga translations aren't pants-on-head-retarded.
>>
>>119443156
Kill yourself you dumb cunt
>>
>>119444699
I'm pretty sure I said CAN, fuck off retard.
>>
>>119444434
not everyone has the time to learn a fucking language you dipshit, and dont start the usual '1hour by day', some people dont even has that hour.
>>
>>119444863

You have time to bitch on 4chan you have time to learn a language.
>>
File: 1388829429041.gif (241KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1388829429041.gif
241KB, 480x270px
>>119444895
#TOLD
>>
>>119440994
So, call me a faggot but i have not noticed any series that I have wanted to watch not getting subbed. How exactly did fansubs die?
>>
>>119445142
Fucking hell, how new are you people?
The start of a season is always slow on sub releases.
>>
File: 1418804503091.gif (831KB, 533x300px) Image search: [Google]
1418804503091.gif
831KB, 533x300px
>>119444434
Basically this.

If you don't like the subs you get, then you're gonna have to go learn Japanese.
>>
>>119444895
Only for the prospect of bitching on another imageboard in another language.
>>
>>119445181
Ohhhhhhh so OP is just being a drama queen then.
>>
>>119445281
OP is talking about the image, but it's too small to even know what it says beyond what's on the red.
>>
>>119444434
>>119445192
What kind of shit shows do you watch, that mere 6 months of Japanese is enough to understand everything? I'm going to assume chuuni-shit and moeblobs, since they're simple entertainment for simple people.

inb4 MATURE ANIMES FOR MATURE PEOPLES LIKE MYSELF
>>
>>119445350
OPs image is 7 years old

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-03-29/tokyo-anime-center-posts-stop-fan-subtitle-notice
>>
>CR subs and airs Detective Conan
Fuck you fansubbers. Fuck you all the german subs, machine translations and month delay for episodes.

CR are heroes.
>>
File: Xythar.jpg (28KB, 586x185px) Image search: [Google]
Xythar.jpg
28KB, 586x185px
>>119442973
>>119442082

Objective complete.
>>
>>119445562
too easy
>>
>>119445555
I agree with you that CR is a great thing, but honestly the BD subs are what I miss the most. That shit just doesn't happen anymore and it's sad.
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.