[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Click for more| Home]

It's been almost 4 years since Madoka began airing, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 433
Thread images: 88

It's been almost 4 years since Madoka began airing, and it seems more and more that it was just a passing fad. It isn't standing the test of time like Eva.

Why is this, /a/? Was Madoka even a great anime in the first place? Or was it just the result of Aniplex marketing, fooling us into thinking it was something huge and important?
>>
>that image
>Eva

I think you forgot to shit on rebellion to round off your post
>>
>>118152178
>It isn't standing the test of time like Eva.
Eva has aged like milk.
>>
>>118152178
Mediocore, maybe slightly above average mahou shoujo (and don't come with this deconstuction and 2deep4you bullshit).
>>
It was a great story but nothing ground breaking. It's still huge and it'll probably be milked to no end.
>>
>>118152178

all it ever was was some shitty lesbian girl anime that neckbeards cried over cause it was "deep".
>>
Madoka has more depth than most anime, plus it is a masterful deconstruction of the mahou shoujo genre. It's (unsurprisingly) stood the test of time quite well. I don't know what you're talking about, OP.
>>
File: 7200.jpg (100KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
7200.jpg
100KB, 1024x768px
>>118152255
This.
>>
File: 1298686711781.jpg (138KB, 550x524px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1298686711781.jpg
138KB, 550x524px
>this thread
>>
File: 13746811047663.jpg (117KB, 492x492px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
13746811047663.jpg
117KB, 492x492px
Aww, /a/'s being tsundere for Madoka again!
>>
>>118152178
Wait for the sequel.
>>
File: 56518471.jpg (47KB, 245x245px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
56518471.jpg
47KB, 245x245px
>It's been almost 4 years since Madoka began airing
Holy shit.
>>
Because we now have internet and flood of TV-ripped anime. Nothing could stand the test of time after internet, the flood of everything.
>>
>>118152178
>First time watching Madoka
10/10
>Second time watching Madoka
6/10
>>
>>118152456
Not fucking long enough. I can't wait until its dead and buried.
>>
>>118152456
>this image is 1 year old
>>
>>118152305
It's not a fucking deconstruction, a deconstruction would take a normal magical girl show and just make you take a realistic look at it.

Madoka is a SUBVERSION of standard magical girl shows, such as the mascot actually being (close to) evil, in-fighting, and the only enemy being yourselves (turned evil).
>>
>>118152577
Mercy kill still makes me cry every time
>>
>>118152178
>reason
isssit paedophilia?
>>
>>118152545
This
A show nowadays standing the test of time is much much harder as there is just so much more to consume, the same is true in any form of medium.
No one thinks of topping Elvis or the Mona Lisa, or the Great Pyramids. We just look at things differently now.
>>
>>118152647
Don't bother. Madofags like to think their meh-tier mahou shoujo is something special.
>>
File: 1410028002119.jpg (182KB, 500x500px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1410028002119.jpg
182KB, 500x500px
>>118152403
God I love how smug she is. We need a Smugoka thread.
>>
Why does Madoka attract so many shitposters? Is it because it overshadowed everyones favourite show that year/decade?
>>
>>118152700
No, it's because Madokafags are the worst cancer to ever come to this board.
>>
>>118152700
>Why do shows with huge fanbases attract so many shitposters?

Gee I wonder.
>>
File: 1231254323243.gif (47KB, 408x410px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1231254323243.gif
47KB, 408x410px
>eva versus madoka
>again

I don't want to do this anymore.
>>
>>118152178
>Edgy mahou shoujo.
Prove me wrong?
>>
File: MadoYuki.jpg (796KB, 3052x1080px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
MadoYuki.jpg
796KB, 3052x1080px
I advise all Madokafags to no miss out on Yuuki Yunna this season, for your magical girl suffering.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/25519/Yuuki_Yuuna_wa_Yuusha_de_Aru
>Fuu-Mami: Knows the rules of the game and such before fighting with the group.
>Karin-Kyouko: Came from out of town, to take over but ended up assisting them in the end.
>Yuki-Madoka: Wants to save people and be a hero/goddess.
>Itsuki-Sayaka: Both have dreams that they want to fight for singing/that guy and in turn they both lose their dream.
>>
>>118152842
Friendly reminder that Yuuki Yuuna has better writing than Madoka.
>>
File: YuYuYu=Madoka.jpg (263KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
YuYuYu=Madoka.jpg
263KB, 1280x720px
>>118152842
>>
>>118152875
Takahiro > Urobutcher.
>>
>>118152842
>>118152876
>Itsuki = Sayaka
Confirmed for bullshit
>>
File: 1407881975662.png (373KB, 573x577px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1407881975662.png
373KB, 573x577px
Reminder that Madoka may exist.
>>
>>118152906
I never expected the man who wrote Akame ga Edge to create such human characters.
>>
>>118152752
6th time?
>>
Homura did nothing wrong.
>>
>>118152741
>Madokafags are the worst cancer to ever come to this board
How are you enjoying your first month trying to fit in? Did the Naruto threads bring you here? How about those countless Fate threads, huh?
>>
File: 1413180555397.gif (799KB, 320x240px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1413180555397.gif
799KB, 320x240px
>>118152305
There's always this faggot
>>
>>118152842
Is there really suffering? Don't troll me
>>
>>118152875
Agreed. I could write an essay on why YYY is a better show but nobody realizes it because they think Madoka is the best the genre can get.
>>
>>118152984
>that gif
>>/reddit/
>>/9gag/
>>
>>118152178
In the west, I would certainly agree it's more of a passing fad than Eva.
>>
File: 1409071611532.gif (549KB, 400x291px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1409071611532.gif
549KB, 400x291px
>>118152916
>I don't believe in madoka
>>
>>118153015
I'm just glad you recognize the fact, anon.
>>
>>118152960
He's completely right though.
>>
File: Didn'tAskForThis.jpg (678KB, 1280x1757px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Didn'tAskForThis.jpg
678KB, 1280x1757px
>>118152992
It's not a troll, there is really well done suffering here, it really kicks in with EP8&9 and soon to be EP10 as well.
>>
>>118153015
>I could write an essay on why YYY is a better show
Sure thing anon.
>>
>>118152545
1995~1999 Eva circlejerk was really scary, in terms of cult. I know about it. Every secret otaku club in Japan uni, and subculture hipsters were totally absorbed to it and played Recorded Eva VHS again and again. Their only external communication way was a few subculture magazines. Man, all those symbolism circlejerks happened there.
>>
File: 1417744998341.jpg (10KB, 228x222px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1417744998341.jpg
10KB, 228x222px
>>118153038
>>
>>118152875
True this, characters that aren't controlled by the plot is really good.
>>
>>118152876
Looks like ecchi-otaku shit
The character designs are terribly bland too
>>
>>118153077
Only someone who hasn't watch YYY would say this.
>>
>>118153027
>You
>>/out/
>>
>>118153077
Meaning there's a lot of reasons it's a better show. An essay's worth. Everyone knows nobody on /a/ can actually write well.
>>
>>118153015
>I could write an essay on why YYY is a better show
Do it, then.
>>
>>118153117
Fuck off
>>
File: 1416126190179.png (53KB, 234x240px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1416126190179.png
53KB, 234x240px
>>118152916
Homura did nothing wrong
>>
I never got all the hype towards it even when it was airing, to be honest. I watched it with you but never felt the need to discuss it.
>>
>>118153197
It isn't popular /end
>>
>>118152178
>Was Madoka even a great anime in the first place?
No
>something huge and important?
No, that was the just the otaku eating up their loli content.
>>
File: 1415306403567.jpg (575KB, 1280x1718px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1415306403567.jpg
575KB, 1280x1718px
>>118153119
There actually isn't any ecchi in this at all, it's a well done magical girls show with your dose of suffering.
>>
File: 1362754313880.jpg (123KB, 410x410px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1362754313880.jpg
123KB, 410x410px
>>
>>118153109
>madoka characters
>plot driven

This is by far the most bullshit argument against this series.
>>
Madoka is too popular and I dislike the fanbase
Therefore Madoka is shit
>>
>>118153240
>>118141109
>***,*31位/***,*31位 ★ (**2,620 pt) [*,*95予約] 2014/12/17 Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru [Blu-ray]
It's already growing in popularity, hipster-kun.
>>
>>118153326
They're plot devices, you retard.
>>
>>118153015
All I can say is, YYY is better so far because it doesnt get dragged down by the shitty Sayaka arc.
>>
>>118152178
japanese don't give a damn about eva and other old works
their preferences are very fluid and basically always moe shit so theyre just crazy for rove rive the most now
>>
>>118152178
because eva was known for its shitty ending. everybody tends to remember shitty things but forgets the good stuff
>>
>>118153373
You must be really dumb or lacking some serious attention spam to not to realize that almost every thing that happened in the show was caused by a girl's desires and actions.
>>
File: img_final_02.jpg (65KB, 960x720px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
img_final_02.jpg
65KB, 960x720px
>3 weeks until 2015
>Still no Geofront
>Still no Tokyo 3
>Still no Eva
>Still no Nerv
At least, we would witness the true end of Eva in 2015.
>>
File: e1wTUBg.png (299KB, 683x383px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
e1wTUBg.png
299KB, 683x383px
>>118153365
>>
>>118152456
Been here for Geass Sunday and before that.
I don't think any other airing series is gonna top the enjoyment I had following Madoka week to week with /a/
>>
>>118152992
Do not read if you hate spoiler.
Here is a brief summary.
Basically we are in the far/alternate future where humanity got wiped out by a virus outbreak. So to protect themselves, they barricaded themselves behind a barrier using shinjuu(some god tree) power. They are always attacked by vertex(like angels from Eva). There are 12 of them based on the zodiac. These vertexes just appeared and only go after the tree. The Madoka comparison come from the girls being magical girls and they are basically thrust and conned into the position of defending Nerv from the angels without a choice.
Defend or die. Defend and sacrifice their their own body parts everytime they fight. Can't borrow power from a god without sacrifices.
>>
>>118153716
Will watch tonight, it sounds significantly better than Madoshit.
>>
>>118153716
Picked up
>>
>Madoka
>passing fad
kek

It still gets a lot of threads and is well loved by many. Movie 4 on the horizon as well.
>>
>>118153966
A far, far away horizon.
>>
>>118153716
I've watched the show. It was like cute girls version of Anti-air raid campaign by Japanese army in later WW2.
>>
>>118153716
rip off everything: the show.

I'd even watch it if not for that stupid phone apps thing
>>
Madoka is objectively the best anime of all time. It has a serious, mature plot with far-reaching implications, more depth than the ocean, a wealth of symbolism, and literally godly character development. Truly, Madoka is a work that stands on par with literary classics from throughout history. It's a sad statement on how low this board has fallen that so many of you fail to recognize this anime as a true masterpiece among masterpieces.
>>
>>118153966
After Rebellion I doubt the franchise could get any worse, but SHAFT have a habit of surprising me.
>>
>>118154202
So this is why /a/ hates us?
>>
>>118154202
It's gotten to the point that I can't clearly see between what is bait and what is legitimate Madokafag delusion.
>>
I want to fuck Madoka and impregnate her.
>>
>>118154284
Yes, they hate us because deep inside they know that we, the Madoka fans, are superior beings with superior taste. But being inferior, they are angered by this and unwilling to admit it, so they take their frustration out on us.

But like Madoka, we should be compassionate to them as they despair.
>>
>>118154284
Why? False-flagging?
>>
it was never any good unless compared to other mahou shoujo series

it was that fandom that took it up as their EVA but the series was never anywhere fun enough
>>
>>118154267
Homura is best and most popular girl, if you don't like the direction that was taken then that's too bad for your shit taste.
>>
madoka haters are the worst
>>
>>118154395
>Homura is best and most popular girl

Neither of those statements are true, actually, but what else could be expected from Homurafags besides making shit up?
>>
>>118154395
>movie completely shits all over what little meaningful characterisation Homura had and turns her into a a generic yandere
>Madokashits still eat it up
>>
File: 1413954698758.jpg (1MB, 1395x1300px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1413954698758.jpg
1MB, 1395x1300px
Moeura homura did nothing wrong
>>
>>118153396
Sayaka arc is the best part of Madoka though. In fact, when I rewatch it, it's the only part I really enjoy. The last few episodes focusing on Homura feel weak in comparison.
>>
>>118154346
Fuck you cancer
>>
>>118154479
I like yandere Homura, so please explain to me how that personally shits on my expectations? I love what happened, as sad as it was.
>>
>>118154586
Please, anon. It's not healthy to express your frustration in this manner.

I only want the best for you. It's okay if you don't like Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. Having shit taste isn't the end, you can still live a productive life. So please, don't act like this.
>>
>>118154479
>>movie completely shits all over what little meaningful characterisation Homura had
Except it's completely in-line with her character.
>>
>>118154616
If you like her character being completely twisted for the sake of having an open ended movie to milk the franchise further, that's fine. That doesn't make it a good movie and it doesn't justify the sudden shift.
>>
>>118154395
Homura is the most ridiculed by far now, so much that nobody ships her with Madoka any more because Rebellion turned her into an inhuman bitch.
>>
>>118154743
Homura was always obsessed with Madoka. She repeated that week somewhere around 300 times if I recall correctly, and that was before the third movie's events. There is no yuri or romantic love in Madoka, that's all trolling and fun, but Homura was always deeply obsessed.

The events of episode 12 led directly to Homura losing her mind.
>>
>>118154754
There is 1 obsessive Homura shitposter that I know of, other than that I see more love than hate for her.
>>
>>118154817
>She repeated that week somewhere around 300 times

100 times, according to an interview. And it was a month that was repeated, not just a week.
>>
>>118154709
It's made pretty clear in the series that Homura, above all else, wants Madoka to be happy. So much so that she will try and suffer endlessly just to keep Madoka alive.

Doing the exact opposite of what would make Madoka happy is completely out of character and Nomura's hissy fit through Rebellion only punctuates how terrible a part it is in an already mediocre franchise.
>>
>>118154862
She's the butt of many doujins now with how insane and obsessed she is. Nobody takes her seriously anymore.
>>
>>118154629
Madoka isn't cancer. YOU are cancer anon. There's no denying the powerlevel of your cancer anon.
>>
File: 3857293572039.jpg (77KB, 725x408px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
3857293572039.jpg
77KB, 725x408px
>>118154862
>multiple people express dislike for Humera
>Hamera faggots assume it's largely the work of one obsessive shitposter

Sasuga Hummerafags
>>
>>118154988
I'm sorry that you feel that way about me. I've said all I can to convince you to accept me, and said nothing to hurt you, so if you're going to continue to be like this the only thing I can do now is hope that you'll eventually understand that hardening your heart like this isn't the right way to live.
>>
My guess is that none of the characters in Madoka speak to so many people as Shinji did.
>>
File: 1416758051088.jpg (86KB, 640x368px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1416758051088.jpg
86KB, 640x368px
>>118155009
THE SMUG!
>>
>>118155009
Nah, we all know there are people who dislike Homura and have their legit reasons to do so, but none of them dedicate themselves to shitpost in every single thread in the exact same way.
>>
>>118155009
He uses the same post style and posts the same crap in -every- Homura themed thread.

He is an obsessive shitposter and anyone who frequents the threads has noticed him.
>>
>>118154947
>It's made pretty clear in the series that Homura, above all else, wants Madoka to be happy.
She began to objectify Madoka after her countless time jumps, which is evident through her interactions/lack of interactions with her, and wants to make her happy in the way she feels would make her happy, not what would actually make Madoka herself happy. She feels she knows what would make her happy more than she does due to demonstrated character bias.

She's doing the exact opposite of what would make her happy through that same character bias and misconstruing what she said out of ignorance as some sort of admission of deceit and that what she said at the end of the series when she actually knew what she was talking about was a lie.
>>
>>118154954
Well I guess that's that, a few Japanese doujin artists made fun of her so she's finished!
>>
>>118155254
That explains it. I don't frequent Madoka threads.

>>118154947
The series ends and Madoka is happy while Homura is in despair. When Homura asks Madoka in the dream world whether Madoka would be fine with vanishing, the Madoka that responds doesn't have the same memories as Madoka did at the end of the TV series when she made the decision she made.

Homura's actions were selfish and/or based on faulty information and inadequate reasoning due to her own state of despair.
>>
>>118152178
I watched a few episodes and found it boring as hell, is there any point in picking it up again
>>
>>118152577
>First time watching Madoka
10/10
>Second time watching Madoka
10/10
[...]
>Eleventh time watching Madoka
10/10
>>
>>118155385
Experiencing the best that the anime medium has to offer.
>>
>>118155308
When /u/ admits Madoka never loved her and her character was ruined rather than just post porn you know she got assassinated.
>>
>>118155385
I don't know, is there any point in convincing someone like you to pick it up again?

Nah.
>>
>>118155430
Homuhater please
>>
>>118155430
I don't go on /u/ but from what I've heard it's populated largely by women.

Madoka never did love her, I'll admit that. The only time Madoka acknowledges Homura's affections is after she becomes god. Other than that Homura is basically a stranger to Madoka.

It's sad but that's part of why I love the series. I would love nothing more than for them to be together and happy but it will never happen.
>>
File: Art.png (9KB, 563x497px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Art.png
9KB, 563x497px
>>118155460
If the fanbase are as smug as you I'm glad I didn't like it
>>
>>118155574
Why did you post a picture of a sad old dude with a weird red hat on?
>>
>>118155601
All I see is the average Madoka fan
>>
>>118155574
If you're so retarded you'll judge shows based on their fanbase on an anonymous imageboard, I'm glad you didn't like it either.
>>
>>118155643
He judged it based on its first few episodes and expressed that he was grateful he didn't like it because it'd associate him with people like you.
>>
>>118155516
/u/ is basically a board for lesbianism and porn. Most threads are porn dumps and the few shows that get generals basically just talk about porn and girls fucking girls.

When you go into a Madoka general and see how people shittalk Homura, talk about how her main ship isn't true all while posting crack pairings perfectly fine, and prefer Kyouko x Sayaka greatly, you know all respect was lost for her character when she was so popular before. The trend is everywhere, too.
>>
Madoka wasn't even good at the time. It was actually one of the worst works of fiction I've ever sat through.
>>
>>118155726
That's wrong. It was one of the best, but you lack the intellectual development to realize that.

Maybe later in life once you've had some more experiences, you'll come back and watch it again, and you'll understand.
>>
Fuck off.
Madoka is the best anime of all time
>>
File: 1416779604466.png (550KB, 1012x879px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1416779604466.png
550KB, 1012x879px
>>118155715
Even if that is true, I don't see how it should affect my enjoyment of the series.

Maybe she is less popular now than before but I still think she is the most popular meguca.

Who is her competition? Sayaka, Kyouko, Mami? I don't think so.
>>
>>118155806
The Tatami Galaxy was significantly better and was released the year before Madoka.
>>
>>118155872
The Tatami Galaxy was significantly worse, which is saying something about Madoka because The Tatami Galaxy was amazing.
>>
>>118155135
/thread
>>
>>118155813
Mami and Madoka are more popular in Japan, Sayaka and Kyouko are a more popular couple than Madoka and Homura by a massive margin.
>>
>>118155902
>I don't know what good writing is
>>
>>118155927
Japan generally has shit taste. They must like Mami because muh kinpatsu and muh tits since there is almost nothing else to her.

Madoka, well, she's a good girl. Pretty boring so I can't understand why she'd be more popular.
>>
File: cute.jpg (185KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
cute.jpg
185KB, 1920x1080px
>>118155872
One of the few anime worthy of a 10.
>>
>>118155927
>Mami and Madoka are more popular in Japan
I know Madoka is but not sure about Mami.

>Sayaka and Kyouko are a more popular couple than Madoka and Homura by a massive margin
Might be true when I think about what I usually see around but pixiv tags say otherwise.
>>
>>118155981
You shouldn't insult yourself like that, anon.

>>118156058
It was really good but I wouldn't give it a 10. Ultimately it's just a well-made time-loop story. The artstyle sets it apart certainly, but it isn't inherently better than any other.
>>
>>118156058
What are the others you consider a 10?
>>
>>118156137
Madoka was really good but I wouldn't give it a 10. Ultimately it's just a well-made time-loop story. The artstyle sets it apart certainly, but it isn't inherently better than any other.
>>
>>118156182
>madoka
>well-made

Too much QUALITY and bad animation.
>>
>>118156182
Man, I was hoping that one of the two Tatamifags in this thread would actually be willing to have a real discussion rather than be a retard who can't tolerate criticism of their "perfect" show.

Oh well.
>>
>>118156137
Berserk is really good but I wouldn't give it a 10. Ultimately it's just a well-made revenge story. The artstyle sets it apart certainly, but it isn't inherently better than any other.
>>
>>118155927
I wish more people supported best couple MadoSaya.
>>
>>118156145
Rose of Versailles
Mushishi
Utena
Gankutsuou
>>
>>118156137
JoJo was really good but I wouldn't give it a 10. Ultimately it's just a well-made shounen story. The artstyle sets it apart certainly, but it isn't inherently better than any other.
>>
>>118156326
Well Homura is dead to a lot of people, the main 4 girls inthe show included, and Sayaka is the new hero, so it's more likely than Homura being her lover. Kypuko would have to die though.
>>
>>118156145
Boku no Pico
Pupa
Wonder Momo
Mars of Destruction
Skelter Heaven
>>
>>118156137
Red Garden is really good but I wouldn't give it a 10. Ultimately it's just a well-made mystery story. The artstyle sets it apart certainly, but it isn't inherently better than any other.
>>
>>118156363
>>118156319
>>118156182
Stay salty, hipstershits.

Your show isn't good, or even decent, because it's different. The Tatami Galaxy was a repetitive mess, and the fact that you think it's a masterpiece shows how absurd your "taste" really is.

Jojo, Madoka, and Berserk, are all leagues better than it at what they try to do.
>>
>>118156464
Man, I was hoping that one of the two Madofags in this thread would actually be willing to have a real discussion rather than be a retard who can't tolerate criticism of their "perfect" show.

Oh well.
>>
>>118152178
>and it seems more and more that it was just a passing fad
see
>>118141109
>>
>>118156516
Why does she sit like that?
>>
>>118156137
You can take your post and insert just about any show as long as you change "time-loop" to a vaguely fitting genre for said show. If you want to flaw the show, point out the flaw and explain why it's a flaw.
>>
>Daily discussion about Madoka
>It hasn't standed the test of time.
Might I remember you that the only thing everyone discusses about Evangelion at this point is
>REI Q A SHIT
>SHIKINAMI A SHIT
>REI VS ASUKA
>WHO'S THE BEST GIRL AND WHY IS IT MISATO?
It makes no sense, especially when it was well established since ten years ago that Maya was the winner.
>>
>>118156679
Most Madoka threads are like that too, usually best girl arguments and Homushits vs Homuhaters.
>>
>>118152178
Because of an absolutely fucking awful fanbase that made me go from absolutely loving the show and wanting to talk about it to loathing absolutely everything and anyone related to it.

God Madoka threads are garbage.
>>
>>118156464
>meaningless insult
>another point that has no substance
>another unjustified point
>>
>>118156722
You shouldn't let the shitty fanbase make you hate Madoka. Sure these threads are annoying as shit, but I still enjoy the series.
>>
File: 28974928374928.png (286KB, 922x1300px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
28974928374928.png
286KB, 922x1300px
>>118156627
Fair enough.

It's hard for me to criticize The Tatami Galaxy in terms of flaws because the truth is I don't consider a masterpiece to be "any show with no flaws," and there's nothing that really stands out as bad about the show. However, I don't think it's as impressive as some of the other anime I've watched. I liked it, and it had an enjoyably unique direction as well as a worthwhile message, but that was it. I've seen other anime that had all that, plus incredibly powerful emotional scenes, plus characters I get really invested in, plus amazing soundtrack (although I should add that I did like the OP and ED for the Tatami Galaxy).

There's nothing wrong with it. I also can't find fault with Azumanga Daioh, but I wouldn't consider that a masterpiece either.

I guess it comes down to what one looks for in a "masterpiece" and I don't look for technical perfection.
>>
File: ffp.png (189KB, 780x550px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
ffp.png
189KB, 780x550px
I thought Madoka was a masterpiece until I looked more into the mahou shoujo genre.
>>
>>118152875
It's not that I doubt it. It's just that despite enjoying madoka I'm quite intolerant of magical girl shit and I don't think I'd enjoy putting myself through another series of it.
>>
>>118156773
There hasn't been a single justified or explained point in regards to the Tatami Galaxy being better than Madoka in this entire thread.

One shitpost deserves another.
>>
>Standing the test of time
>eva

No. Just no. Madoka is a well paced, thuroughly structured tragedy with a pretty straightforward ending. Everyone got what it was going for, and that story, the story it intended to tell, is what resonated with people.

Eva on the other hand failed at delivering its message. By that I don't mean that it failed to convince people that what it was trying to say was the truth, but that people didn't get what it was trying to say in the first place, that they projected whatever the hell they wanted into it. That's why people are still talking about it. No matter how you look at it, that is not a sign of quality writing.

By the way, fuck the new captcha.
>>
>Madoka becomes super popular
>Thousands of topics of analysis, it gets dubbed everywhere and helps lots of people to get into a new genre
>Meanwhile, princess tutu remains a hidden gem and when I try talking some reason into people I am made fun of because the anime has "tutu" in the title.
>>
>>118156878
>Eva on the other hand failed at delivering its message. By that I don't mean that it failed to convince people that what it was trying to say was the truth, but that people didn't get what it was trying to say in the first place, that they projected whatever the hell they wanted into it. That's why people are still talking about it. No matter how you look at it, that is not a sign of quality writing.

No, anon, you just aren't intelligent enough to understand the deeper meaning of Eva. You and everybody else.
>>
File: rk.jpg (11KB, 420x315px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
rk.jpg
11KB, 420x315px
>>118156886
Princess Tutu gets some love now and then.
>>
>>118156878
Evangelion was so misunderstood especially here in Italy it's amazing. Most of the fad has disappeared but I vividly remember back then the hundreds of websites of analysis about apocripha, bible, angel's names and so on. There was an incredible one about how Shinji during evangelion crosses the three of sephiroths in order to become a god.
>By the way, fuck the new captcha.
I agree, on paper it should made things easier since it should not ask again and again for the words captcha but it does.
>>
>>118156935
>No, anon, you just aren't intelligent enough to understand the deeper meaning of Eva. You and everybody else.
Anno Plz
>>
>>118156868
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
>>
Madoka isn't a fading fad, it's just the perfect magnet for shitposters to rally around and delude themselves into thinking the show wasn't nearly as good, popular, or influential as it actually was/still is.

Stay assblasted faggots.
>>
>>118156878
>Eva on the other hand failed at delivering its message
If you're too retarded to even understand oriental moving pictures for children, sure.
>>
>>118157001
Rebellion basically killed the franchise, save for yurifags who like apple raspberry juicy juice.
>>
>>118152248
You're a chimp. Eva has aged like wine.

OP, the only reason we went so crazy over Madoka is because it had more depth than most anime. It was just a cool little show but the yurifucks decided to turn it into an obsession.
>>
>>118157296
It's only above average in story depth and severely lacking in character depth.
>>
>>118157065
I wasn't saying that the message is too complex, I'm talking about people misinterpreting Eva regardless of how obvious it should be. Take a look at all the idiots who liked Rei as a character, eventhough she doesn't have a character. She's an empty shell, and yet they just projected whatever thought and feelings appealed to them into her at their convenience. How did anno manage to fuck up the simple task of getting something as strightforward as Reis character across to his audience? Simple. Because his writing is shit.

To a lesser extent this problem existed with Madoka as well. Quite a few people didn't seem to get Sayakas character, not because the ideas behind it were bad, but because they weren't related to the audience very well.
>>
>>118156326
Shipperfags are the scum of the earth and I genuinely wish to see every single one of them burned on inverted crosses.
>>
>>118157489
All three Reis in the TV series each had their own distinct personality.
>>
File: MadoSaya.jpg (406KB, 800x800px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
MadoSaya.jpg
406KB, 800x800px
>>118156903
>insult and shit on their characters
Are you the guy that always complains about "crack shipping"? Well. you should know that MadoSaya isn't "crack shipping" at all, and it isn't an insult to the characters. It's based on canon yuri moment in the series when Sayaka says she's going to marry Madoka.
>>
>>118157489
>doesn't have a character
>empty shell
The whole point of Rei though is that she starts out as an empty husk and slowly starts developing into a human being, just doesn't have enough time to do so 'till the events draw to an end. That's her entire appeal. She's essentially developing towards becoming what Kaworu was when we first see him. She expresses her feeling of identity and individuality during instrumentation and how she's afraid of losing that.

Looks like mogolian cartoons intended for infants really are too fucking deep for you.
>>
>>118156824
Konaka has written several of my favorite works and I can't find any reviews or anything for that, is it just a basic good mahou shoujo or is there more to it?
>>
>>118157630
Stop listening to the opinions of others. Watch it and find out for yourself.
>>
>>118157752
Stop trying to communicate with shipperfags as if they were human beings. They're below subhuman. Their very existence is a fucking disgrace to us as a species.
>>
>>118152178
Madoka has not aired on TV in multiple countries like Evangelion as far as I know
>>
>>118157624
Rei I and II are irrelevant, the one people care about is III, and yes, you are right about her character, but do you really believe that's what people saw in her? Fine. Why don't you ask a few Reifags what the reason the character appeals to them is?
>>
>>118157752
A marriage proposal is "shallow interaction" now? Being dear friends since childhood is "shallow interaction"? You are a fool.
>>
>>118157835
Even worse than bronies?
>>
>>118158049
Yes because at least they're not shitting up discussion of decent shows.
>>
>>118157835
Speak for yourself, human.
>>
>>118157624
More like she was heading towards that but then after episode 6 she was abandoned, then picked up back again near the end only to die and start from scratch.
>>
>>118157752
I would much rather have Madoka x Sayaka happen if the alternative was Madoka x Devil.

Not like anyone actually loves anyone for real.
>>
>>118158100
>start from scratch
Nope. You're a muppet.
>>
File: 1417379583437.jpg (171KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1417379583437.jpg
171KB, 1000x800px
>>118157574
>basing a ship off of a joke in the first episode before the story even happens
Superior ship reporting in.
>>
>If you want to keep your thread from pruning, just bother Madofags around there.
They would definitely save it.
>>
>>118158184
I can accept that ship too. Anything to oppose the disgusting MadoHomu.
>>
>>118152178
>Or was it just the result of Aniplex marketing, fooling us into thinking it was something huge and important?
What are you even trying to say? That Madoka didn't stood the test of time because it's not milked to death like Evangelion?
>>
>>118158190
>Madoka loves her for her

Not anymore, and even then it was as friends. There is no romance.

I would rather Madoka end up with a friend than a psychopath if I had to choose.
>>
>>118153263
>:^)

Fuck off.
>>
File: 680345-nagisa_momoe.png (814KB, 1366x703px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
680345-nagisa_momoe.png
814KB, 1366x703px
Is Nagisa the Mari of Madoka?
>>
>>118158299
MadoHomu is an evil abusive relationship, and I'll do whatever it takes and side with anyone to stop it. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
>>
>>118158439
No, at least Nagisa is cute.
>>
>>118157407
No shit, but even then that's more so than a good chunk of anime. That's why people still talk about this dumb shit.
>>
>>118158487
Give me one example of Madoka caring about Homura as more than a friend. Best friend, sure, but just a friend getting the same attention she had for everyone.

Nothing special, and then Homura threw it away forever.
>>
File: madokafags please.png (22KB, 724x323px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
madokafags please.png
22KB, 724x323px
>>118158244
>Madoka
>not milked
Are you fucking stupid?
>>
>>118158555
There are quite a few anime from 2011 that beat Madoka in both departments.
>>
File: pepe21.png (26KB, 190x194px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
pepe21.png
26KB, 190x194px
it was really great. to get 4 years of constant discussion is a pretty impressive, concerting most shows are forgotten within a month.
>>
>>118158723
Madoka is kind and would do that for anyone having an emotional breakdown. I don't see why keeping the ribbons means she loves Homura. It's more like Homura gave them up and Madoka thought nothing of it due to memory shenanigans.
>>
>>118157624
Naw man. She's not developing towards Kaworu. She's far, far ahead of Kaworu. If she developed towards Kaworu, it'd break the character.

It'd be actually going backwards. Rei is intelligent and introspective, if she started developing towards being Kaworu she'd have to dumb herself down.
>>
>>118158959
Why would Madoka love Homura with her memories gone? She never even cared about her until she became a goddess. It feels more likely her keeping them is Homura's doing.
>>
>>118159238
Possible, but they barely affected her in the other timelines.

Still, I doubt it's romantic love. Madoka loves the world too much to fall in love with Homura, and after Rebellion she shouldn't have any faith left in her.
>>
>>118152178
>like Eva
Do you seriously expect anything to hold like Eva?
>>
We can all agree that Lain is a rip-off of Madoka Magica.
>>
>>118155410
>nth time watching Madoka
n/n
>>
>>118159111
Madoka always cared about Homura. The distance between them in the main timeline was because Homura was so deliberately cold and removed from her original character. Moemura is Madoka's fetish, and Madoka can't resist Homura's softer side even when it's just hinted at.
>>
File: 1412580435268.jpg (12KB, 335x305px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1412580435268.jpg
12KB, 335x305px
It's only 4 years OP. You should look at Haruhi instead; despite how dead the series seems the fans still wish to believe that somewhere that LNs will come through and Haruhi S3 forever
>>
>>118159689
This.
>>
>>118158673
Name some.
>>
you're all going to forget about YYY by the next season but Madoka is eternal.
>>
>>118158644
nobody cares about the spinoffs, bruh. That shit isn't even canon
>>
>>118158644
Recaps and one masterpiece sequel, which is even better than original series, aren't milking
>>
>>118152178

Bit of Aniplex marketing, bit of it actually being surprising good. To me it (TV series that is) along with AnoHana are like their only good high profile originals ever period in absence of their usual hyping BS except both pretty much at an 8/10 kind of level as opposed to the whole redefined my entire existence best anime of all freaking time level.
>>
>>118152577

If I ever do rewatch that show I'm almost certain my score for it will go down since so much of it'd intrigue had to do with continually finding ways to subvert expectations of its genre rather than particularly strong writing and thematics. Plus Urobuchi has done the same essential thing several times with different genres since so its hardly a new trend anymore the whole subversion and darking up children's programming. Hell it wasn't even that fresh an idea when it aired since Tomino did more or less the same thing with Gundam just nobody had ever thought to do it with a cutesy magical girl show before.
>>
>>118152178
>Was Madoka even a great anime in the first place?

It had a decisive beginning, middle and end, didn't overstay its welcome and had the decency to wrap itself up (until Rebellion). That already puts it head and shoulders above most anime.
>>
>>118152741

Urobuchi fags. The whole damn industry and fan base is currently either trying to crawl out from under his shadow and reliance on his company for ideas for hit series or has this crazy love affair and idolatory of him. Madoka is just part and parcel of an even more annoying trend that started it all.
>>
>>118161210
>just nobody had ever thought to do it with a cutesy magical girl show before.
The author of Sailor Moon did.
>>
File: itsuki2.png (340KB, 425x548px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
itsuki2.png
340KB, 425x548px
>>118160399
Why would I forget about the better show?
>>
>>118152178
Madoka was basically watching an average mahou shoujo anime backwards. It was good, but it wasn't great.
>>
>>118154754

That whole twist seemed so extreme even by Urobuchi standards and IMO kind of revealed his true worth and outlook as a writer in a big way. The way he views the world and how characters should interact is no deeper or less otaku oriented than your average LN writer, he just used to be better at hiding it.
>>
>>118158517
Agreed, Madoka treats Homura like shit. All these Madoka worshiping faggots make me sick.
>>
>>118157407
Yes, people went apeshit over Rebellion because characters were simple
>>
>EVA vs Madoka

>Madoka is fun to watch
>Madoka has a good OST
>Madoka has pretty art
>Madoka has characters I care about and like
>Madoka has a good MC
>EVA is boring as watching paint dry
>EVA has a shitty OST with dat CICADA CICADA CICADA I'M A CICADA
>EVA has art that makes my ribs hurt to look at it
>EVA has no characters I like except our drunken goddess
>EVA has the worst MC of all time who spawned endless streams of awful copycat MCs--the boring, bland, beta, black haired loser nobody who gets everything handed to him and girls literally falling onto his cock
>>
>>118152255
>>118152281
>>118152298
>>118152305
People are butthurt that it's more popular than their cute waifu again. I recently got a friend to finally watch it, and as soon as he had finished it he said he sees why it's so popular. It was way above most shows in all aspects, depth included, even if it's a far cry from other media's depth (i.e. any book that has been read by anyone born after it went out). Deal with it already
>>
>>118162098
Here's your reply.
>>
>>118162136
Explain to me the depth of Madoka.
>>
It was a moe cash in with a big plot. Not much else.
>>
>>118158627
We both know she understands the character she's voicing well and if you say otherwise it'll be pure denial
>>
>>118162279
Sure it's in the archive.
>>
Madoka is pretty dead. All they are doing now is milking the money out of Yurifags
>>
>>118162136
>book
It's the same with any film; everyone always says the book is better than the movie.
>>
File: 1413286507494.jpg (349KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1413286507494.jpg
349KB, 1080x1080px
>>118162319
>Madoka
>moe
>>
>>118162422
Yeah. Ume is doing the chara design so it's moe.
>>
>>118162421
And if you read some, you'll know why too. Even tho I haven't really had the focus to read in a long time
>>
>>118162098
Eva has the best cast of characters ever, how could you not like them?
>>
>>118152178
Oh boy, it's this again. No, Madoka was just a rehash of Nanoha but with some extra DARKNESS added by Urobuchi, who is not a great writer anyway. He was just a one-trick-pony.
>>
>>118162703
He already got his guaranteed reply. Fucking kill yourself you retard.
>>
File: 2823690164.png (2MB, 1200x1423px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
2823690164.png
2MB, 1200x1423px
madoka is for me one of the better anime I've watched,
usually I'm not too into mahou shoujo
but I loved how this little genre twist (no I don't think deconstruction is a right term for this)
had a dark yet not bleak tone, a story that unraveled well, good visuals, and very nice voice acting.
and yes I also loved rebellion, it wasn't put together as tightly as the rest of the series
but it gave a much-needed development to homura's character

also I'm puting YYY on my watch list now, you guys got me curious
>>
>>118152178
lolies and catering to moe culture that jumps on every new show and doesn't care about what they watched last week.

Thats why.
>>
File: dokes.jpg (126KB, 560x667px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
dokes.jpg
126KB, 560x667px
>>118162840
>>
>>118162840

>people with opinions I don't like are trolling
>>
>>118163666
No Lucifer, people that express shitloads of "unpopular" board opinions and do it in a manner that blatantly resembles trollbait are trolling you dipshit.
>>
>>118163788
To be fair, most of what he wrote about Madoka is popular opinion but the way he wrote all that is obvious bait
>>
>>118162098
I watched both, and I liked both. Also, Eva has the best MC, how would you explain otherwise that it spawned so many "copycat MCs"?
>>
>>118163972
How about people copying its success?
>>
That's basically the entire point of the show. Madoka is literally a story about compassion, femininity, and hope overcoming a rigid systemic force that is explicitly designed to exploit those emotions. When Madoka makes her big "If someone says there's no reason to hope, I'll tell them they're wrong every time" speech, that is practically the show's thesis statement. The indomitability of the human spirit in the face a cold, uncaring universe is the show's main throughline.") But the reason Madoka is "10/10 amazing" is because that is *not the show's only throughline*. Madoka is an intricately layered narrative, with each singular element reflecting and resounding off of the others. Madoka personifies its main throughline in Kyubey's purely pragmatic utilitarian ideology. Which Urobuchi has a raging hateboner for. It personalizes its high-concept thesis by grounding it in wholly human conflict. Homura would forsake the universe itself to save her one true friend.
>>
It lays its foundation on the traditional emotional core of Magical Girl anime, i.e. friendship, love, hope and redemption, and then uses that to construct a sprawling framework of themes that build off of those ideals. Each of its parts reflecting off each other like a perfect sparkling mirror-ball of a show.
Madoka is a beautiful exercise in the emotional craft of storytelling. Madoka isn't a story about Magical girls fighting monsters. It's a story about the importance of what Magical Girls represent, and fighting for those ideals. Madoka is a passionate affirmation that stories don't have to be about plot and characters. They can be about other things. They can be about abstract, emotional, and important things.
As for Madoka's "flaws", I don't think they're very relevant, honestly. Madoka has such a passionate, intelligent and ambitious narrative that its flaws, so much as they are, hardly seem noteworthy. It's richly composed, aesthetically purposeful, and passionately executed. It's a smart, gripping, and well-oiled storytelling machine. Madoka is a testament not only to what anime can achieve as a narrative medium, but also what anime can achieve as an art form. That's why Madoka is a "10/10 amazing" anime, because the scale only goes to 10. When you're already operating on a level so far above 99% of the productions in your medium, I hardly see the point of even talking about flaws anymore.
>>
>>118164313
>That's why Madoka is a "10/10 amazing" anime, because the scale only goes to 10.
On a scale of 0 to 100, Madoka would get 97/100 at best, you faggot!
>>
>>118152178
If it's a "passing fad", then why are you and a bunch of other people talking about it four years after its initial airing?
>>
File: settled.png (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
settled.png
2MB, 1280x720px
>>118164373
But the scale only goes to 10, and 9.7 rounds to 10, so all three of us agree.
>>
>>118155212
I hate her but I have other things to shitpost on
>>
>>118164805
I don't think she'd like him at all, but I could see them in a deal with the devil type arrangement for mutual benefit.
>>
>>118152178
I don't care, I just like the show.
>>
>>118161210
Hello new friend just watch more anime than posting on /a/. You new is showing
>>
utena was miles ahead of madoka more than a decade before it
>>
So glad /a/ has come to their senses after all this time, it never was, and never will be close to evangelion
>>
>>118158288
>>:^)

You too.
>>
>>118153496
I'll be there with you, anon. It will truly be a glorious day.
>>
>>118166094
>118166094
You're absolutely right. Unlike Eva, Madoka is actually good.
>>
>>118166094
Eva wasn't all that great either. To be honest I thought Madoka was better.
>>
>>118158644
There's literally only 6 hours of animation to the series.
>>
>>118165869
Utena was very formulic and had clip episoides, the plot advanced at a snails pace.

Madoka introduced something crucial to the plot every single episoide. There was a twist or surprise every single time and all of it was relevant. The entire thing beats you in the face and overwhelms you, never showing any mercy. The sheer intensity of the proper pacing is why Madoka is a better show than Utena.

Both are excellent and easily the absolute best magical girl shows ever.
>>
>>118154754
>Rebellion turned her into an inhuman bitch.
>implying she wasn't always one.
>>
>>118152178
>low quality bait
>>
>>118152178
> 4 years
Damn, so they are all adults and Nagisa started high school.
>>
>>118152178
>4 years have passed
>isn't standing the test of time
You do realize that after 4 years, EVA was nowhere near as much talked about as when it finished airing right?
Go a decade without internet, come back and I'm sure there will be some random dudes arguing about whether or not Madoka is or not the EVA of their time.
>>
>implying in this short time it would be recognized as greatest anime of all time
>implying it even is that

It's just less talked about because it's over, and I think everyone wants to forget End of Eva- I mean Rebellion. Though I actually found it ok.
>>
>>118169215
End of Eva was good. Rebellion was trash. Stop trying to compare the two.
>>
File: 1417436284896.jpg (244KB, 584x825px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1417436284896.jpg
244KB, 584x825px
>>118162335
>>
>>118169394
That pic is so sweet it gave me diabetes.
>>
>>118169277
Rebellion is better than the series, and it's as good as End of Eva. Prove me wrong.
>>
File: 5.png (1MB, 1087x1080px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
5.png
1MB, 1087x1080px
>>118169277
You didn't understand it, anon.
>>
>>118169610
>y-you don't understand my 2deep4u yuri shipping fantasies
Fuck off.
>>
Madoka was ruined for me since the autistic weeb at my school watched it and would not stop talking about how great it was

He'd get pissed whenever someone mentioned yuri and thought it a 1000/10 masterpiece, and he didn't want plebeians like me watching it so he spoiled it

If that's the average madoka fan, its truly cancerous
>>
File: 1417453562404.png (173KB, 600x420px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1417453562404.png
173KB, 600x420px
>>118169652
Offer a critique then, man. I'd like to hear it. I've seen the film 20+ times and listened to every moron's piddly "oh, it's fanservice", "oh, it didn't need a sequel, shaft's just greedy", and "oh, Homura's acting out of character" criticisms. They don't hold water.

>>118169690
Everyone who likes anime has to deal with this. If one person can ruin a whole series for you then good luck liking anything.
>>
>>118170269
Don't bully Sayaka-chan
>>
>>118170269
>criticism doesn't hold water because I don't agree with it
Why would I dedicate 2 hours of arguing with a f/u/cktard at 2AM? I could spent that time trying to penetrate my eyesocket with my own dick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwXaK12envI
>>
>>118156464
what if I think Madoka and Tatami Galaxy are both masterpieces?
>>
>>118170458
It seems you are implying that the cake song is was not the best part of the movie
>>
>>118170458
>he missed the point of the cake song
>>
>>118170458
ok, cake song:

>it's a word game with properties and particulars. Each player names a particular exhibiting the property that the previous player named, then names a new property for the next player.

>Homura, the pumpkin, is a reference to the legend of stingy jack http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingy_Jack Though there are many versions of the story, in all of them, Jack denies or is denied access to Heaven, and escapes Hell by means of a deal with satan, and thus decides to create or be part of a purgatory. Homura escapes the incubators experiment and rejects Madoka's escort to an afterlife before making her own universe.

>Madoka says "I am the melon. When the melon splits, it brings sweet dreams.". Homura splits Madoka and creates a universe in which all the characters are deceived but happy.

>That's a fucking interesting instrumental under the chant.

Plus the animation of the table spinning around is pretty impressive.
>>
>haven't watched madoka in exactly one year
Feels bad m8s.
>>
File: 1417418993291.jpg (557KB, 1024x1414px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1417418993291.jpg
557KB, 1024x1414px
>>118170458
And the criticisms don't hold water because I don't give a fuck what shaft's motivations are for making this film. Appreciating the content has nothing to do with people's dubious claims about what Urobuchi's intentions for the ending are or whether or not a sequel was necessary. Plus, I'm willing to bet that anyone who says Homura acted out of character either don't want to believe it or didn't pay any fucking attention to the scenes leading up to Homura becoming a witch. The final scene of the film is brief, but it's brilliant, and in context it absolutely makes sense. Likewise, the first 30 minutes of the film were introduced extremely well. It initially seem like a timeline from the series then evolves into something new, with subtle hints and exceptional visuals along the way.

My only complaints are that Nagisa a shit and the bus scene is quite slow for re-watches. If you can think of something else I haven't considered, then like I said, I'd like to hear it.
>>
>>118152178
>Was Madoka even a great anime in the first place?
Yes.

>Or was it just the result of Aniplex marketing, fooling us into thinking it was something huge and important?

There are certainly people who overrate it, but that doesn't change the fact that the series is exceptionally well done.
>>
File: kyouko.gif (2MB, 720x720px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
kyouko.gif
2MB, 720x720px
Why is Kyouko so perfect?
>>
>>118152178
IT WAS SHIT AND THE FANBASE MADE IT WORSE.
I'm alright with the fact that there aren't that many threads on here anymore.
>>
>>118152178
Madoka isn't deep like Eva
Eva has a lot to discuss, Madoka doesn't
>>
>>118152178

What are you going on about? We're still talking about Madoka just about every day.
>>
File: who homu here.jpg (11KB, 250x251px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
who homu here.jpg
11KB, 250x251px
It seems like the only people that hated Rebellion are homu haters.
It is like they dont even watch the movie or understand why she did what she did.
Can't wait for my homu fig to arrive end of this year.
>>
>>118152178
>It isn't standing the test of time like Eva
Sure it will, it just needs a new set of movies to start 12 years after the series ended.

See you all in 2023!
>>
File: 1375077835039.jpg (156KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1375077835039.jpg
156KB, 1920x1080px
>>118173133

>>118171004
>>118171335
>>118166595


maybe >>118164313
>>
>>118153966
>movie 4
Was this ever confirmed?
>>
>>118162536
The source is almost always better, regardless of the original medium. Very rarely, you'll have a creative team that can adapt something into another medium and make it just as good as the source, much less arguably greater than.
>>
Everyone knows Utena is the eva of shoujo anyway
>>
File: 1417807514190.jpg (101KB, 800x640px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1417807514190.jpg
101KB, 800x640px
>>118173230
At least homuhater keeps discussion going. And I refuse to believe there's more than one.
>>
>>118173133
Eva really isn't all that deep either.

The only people who say otherwise are pretentious fedora tippers.
>>
>>118153674
The Walpurgisnacht hitting Japan in real life and delaying the season finale made everyone shit themselves. Good times.
>>
>>118153674
>>118173429

I started watching Madoka end of 2011. Can't believe I missed those threads, man.
>>
>>118173230
>>118173360
But Rebellion is good BECAUSE I hate Homura (well partly). What fun is a stroy that doesn't even emotionally affect you? Her actions made sense, that's why she's a good character but I still think that they were wrong, which made me angry which in turn makes her an even better character.
>>
>>118171335
Why was Homura strong enough to rip apart Madokami? And don't come with her love or desperation or the time in her egg, because magic comes from emotions, but power comes from how closely you are connected to fate. Homura had turned back time several times by the end of the TV series, yet her power was far below that of Madoka, where did that sudden growth come from?
>>
File: 1416059146226.jpg (844KB, 1602x600px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1416059146226.jpg
844KB, 1602x600px
>>118174125
Madoka's wish was to destroy every witch before it's born "with her own hands". Homu caused a contradiction to her wish by grabbing her by the hands and then everything got fucked up. Homu knew what she was doing, plus she was ultimately responsible for everything, so she was able to take control with her pseudo-witch powers

Or something like that. It's not very clear, but I think the concept is clever
>>
Madoka was a well produced anime, but comparing it to Eva has and always will be stupid.

One of the great things about Eva is that the degree to which you can understand both its influences and the tropes it has influenced, the more its themes are likely to apply to you. In simpler terms, the more you watch anime, the more Eva is going to make you take a look at yourself.

Madoka's usage of a number of different literary references and devices isn't bad. But it's neither groundbreaking nor thematically relevant to viewers in the same way Eva was and still is.

Madoka's a good anime, but it isn't Eva, and it never tried to be.
>>
File: shinobu-7738.jpg (272KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
shinobu-7738.jpg
272KB, 1920x1080px
>>118173291
>>movie 4
>Was this ever confirmed?
Is there any reason why SHAFT would refuse the practically guaranteed profits that would be brought in by a 4th movie? The main question is: Will be happen before or after Kizumonogatari?
>>
Aniplex really dropped the ball, if Funi had gotten the license I feel it would have taken off a lot more.
BUT with EVA you have 26 episodes, a compilation movie, a movie sequel, and a series of four movies. Not to mention a fairly large cast, and almost two decades of fan made material.

Madoka only has 13 episodes, three movies, and is relatively new in comparison. Plus it has a cast of five, maybe six with QB. There's less to expand on than there was with EVA.

EVA's ending left it's audience to speculate on so many things, Madoka's was very straight forward to the point where you could see it coming from miles away.

Either way, I enjoyed both. But I haven't watched Madoka since it aired, so I don't know if it still holds up.
>>
>>118174125
Part of Homura's wish was for her to be the one to protect Madoka, not the other way around.

And I'm pretty sure ending Homura's suffering and taking her away is pretty much counts as Madoka protecting Homura.
>>
Reminder that Haruhi is the evangelion of anime, and not Madoka.
>>
>>118174756
This is verbiage. You aren't really saying anything. Garbage post. Kill yourself.
>>
>>118174447
>Homu caused a contradiction to her wish by grabbing her by the hands and then everything got fucked up.
Are you implying Madokami couldn't take Homura because she literally had her hands full?
>>
File: gdwtGIP.jpg (186KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
gdwtGIP.jpg
186KB, 1440x810px
>>118152305

>masterful deconstruction of the mahou shoujo genre

What´s Yuyuyu? or Wixoss? or Exodus?
>>
>>118176271
I think it's a smart idea.
We should give him a hand.
>>
File: 7cf60e24-s.jpg (34KB, 480x270px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
7cf60e24-s.jpg
34KB, 480x270px
>>118176403
YuYuYu isn't a deconstruction of the mahou shoujo genre, it's a deconstruction of the mahou shoujo.
>>
File: 1410138746351.jpg (229KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1410138746351.jpg
229KB, 1920x1080px
>>118152178

I guess that means I'll have to buy madoka manga (and Kazumi, and Oriko) in X-mas.

It's been on my backlog forever
>>
File: Homu harem.jpg (568KB, 1216x1552px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Homu harem.jpg
568KB, 1216x1552px
Homura-chan is the best.
>>
File: 1418115825441.png (59KB, 209x258px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1418115825441.png
59KB, 209x258px
>>118176737
Damn straight.

Everyone who deserted the best grill after Rebellion should be shot. If they thought for a moment, they would understand she did nothing wrong.
>>
File: 1418212533193.png (342KB, 600x600px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1418212533193.png
342KB, 600x600px
>>118176912
Homura literally confesses to being evil. She is either telling a falsehood or she is evil. Either way, she did something wrong.
>>
>>118176205

I'm not saying anything? Really faggot?

It's pretty clear what I'm saying. Eva gets better the more of an Otaku you are. Madoka doesn't do that. They're different. You're retarded.
>>
File: 1418061119082.jpg (50KB, 579x819px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1418061119082.jpg
50KB, 579x819px
>>118176271
Well, she was reaching for the soul gem like you see her do at the end of the series when she first becomes Madokami, so yeah I guess so.
>>
>>118152992
Not as serious "I have one more request" as madoka, but yeah there is.
>>
>>118177084
She did nothing wrong.
Madoka has no reason to sacrifice herself when an alternative exists.
>>
File: 1417724287200.jpg (75KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1417724287200.jpg
75KB, 1280x720px
>>118177084
"Evil" is a subjective term. She is deliberately emulating what she believes to be "evil", but the act is for the purposes of giving Madoka a happy life with her friends. Everything she does is for Madoka, up to and including her ascension to godhood/descent into devilry. Given her motivation, can it truly be called evil if it's for love?
>>
>>118177084
She was always so noble before, so I like the development she had in Rebellion. I can't be the only one who thought it was about damn time for Homura to do something like that.
>>
File: 1414987497211.png (4MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1414987497211.png
4MB, 2000x2000px
>>118177199
Not that guy, but I'll chip in.

I'll give you that Eva reveals itself as more of a pointed commentary on the medium as the viewer has more experience with it. I've only seen something like 30 series, so I can't really comment on that, but I also know that I find the themes in Madoka more personally impactful than any commentary on otaku culture, no matter how thorough, could ever be. I can probably chalk that up as a matter of opinion, but regardless of that, I think Madoka's big payoff was more satisfying than NGE's, and Madoka gets there faster.

It's still a little silly to compare them, and they're both fantastic series, but outside of EoE, Eva couldn't do to me what Madoka did.
>>
Homura did nothing wrong.
>>
File: 1418068358699.gif (1024KB, 311x250px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1418068358699.gif
1024KB, 311x250px
>>118169652
>says the homo shitter

I can't stop laughing.

Even Devil Homu is more powerful than any "awakened" Eva, go eat shit and die with your headless gayfriend.
>>
>>118152178
It isn't deep, just tragic. And there isn't a lot to talk about when everybody's fricking dead at the end (or equivalently since they're reset). Plus, no catchy OP.
>>
File: 1418095779582.jpg (142KB, 741x1000px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1418095779582.jpg
142KB, 741x1000px
>>118177345
>She was always so noble before,
Like when Homura told Madoka to simply abandon her best friend (Miki Sayaka) even though Homura knew (or should have known) that Madoka couldn't follow such a callous course of action?
>>
>>118169652
>homo shipping fantasies
How are you liking the the piano scene in Q?
I agree with you, that Eva was pretty good but 3 is absolutely shit. You are only as good as your last episode and Eva is currently shit.
>>
>>118176737
Homura is my husbando.
>>
>>118177523
>but I also know that I find the themes in Madoka more personally impactful than any commentary on otaku culture

Not even that guy, but pleb as fuck. The characters in Madoka are very one dimensional compared to the Eva characters. If you really find the characters in Madoka to have a more personal relatable thematic struggle then I don't even know where to start.
>>
>>118177729
Q was excellent and far stronger than 2.0 or 1.0
Q was excellent and thematically one of Anno's stronger commentaries.
You have no idea what you're talking about. Although I guess that's to be expected of a Madokafag
>>
>>118177546
Homura didn't let Madoka rock the boat, if you know what I mean.
>>
File: homu-cosplay.jpg (351KB, 1068x2147px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
homu-cosplay.jpg
351KB, 1068x2147px
>>118177777
>>118177773
>The characters in Madoka are very one dimensional compared to the Eva characters.
At least they're not three-dimensional.
>>
File: BoPz3pMIYAAFDuv.jpg (62KB, 700x636px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
BoPz3pMIYAAFDuv.jpg
62KB, 700x636px
Post-dokes Mahou Shoujo:

>Symphogear
>Gen'ei
>Yuki Yuna

Uh oh! It's all shit!

OH NO! IT'S RETROACTIVELY RUINING OLDER MAHOU SHOUJO NOW

DAMN YOU SHAFT
DAMN YOU SHIMBO
DAMN YOU UROBUCHI
>>
>>118177851
>Q was excellent and far stronger than 2.0 or 1.0
>Q was excellent and thematically one of Anno's stronger commentaries.
Explain further.
>>
>>118178028
so qt.
>>
>>118178045
Where is wixoss?
It is far more madoka like with its make a wish gimmick.
>>
>>118178028
9/10
>>
>>118178098
What part do you want me to elaborate on? I could write a lot about this.
>>
>>118178028
No one will ever get Homura's latex boot stockings right in cosplay. It just reminds me when it was first airing and no one could draw them right either.
>>
>>118178233
Yeah because they're impossible. The pattern moves to look best relative to the shot.
>>
>>118178143
I forgot it
Pretend I put it there it changes nothing!
>>
>>118178216
How is Q better than 1.0 and 2.0?
How is it even good at all? What about all the ruined characters?
>>
>>118178143
Card games aren't magical girls.
>>
>>118178426
LRIG are magical girls
Check and mate
>>
>>118178459
no they're slrig lacigam
>>
>>118177705
Sayaka doomed herself by making a contract(despite knowing what happened to Mami). Homura simply told Madoka she could not help, that Sayaka could not be saved. Homura telling Madoka to give up on Sayaka is actually a way of trying to save Madoka, at least.
>>
>>118178459
So is Dark Magician Girl, but Yugioh isn't a mahou shoujo anime.
>>
All the fags in here talking shit about a masterpiece like Madoka so they can be a counter bandwagon hipster. Fuck off.
>>
Madoka always was a fad
>>
File: 1416859009042.jpg (35KB, 454x541px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1416859009042.jpg
35KB, 454x541px
>>118177773
The struggles that the characters in Eva face are almost exclusively a lot more realistic, but part of that comes from the fact that they aren't written as magical 14 year old girls. Some might say that they're more believable too, especially given their pretty glaring flaws. Based on personal experience, yeah, I do actually relate to Homura more than any Eva character, but putting that and the fact that 'one-dimensional' is a hard argument to unpack aside, I do think that Madoka's characters are better.

Part of it is the execution. Almost everyone in Eva is unlikeable. Asuka Langley's hotheadedness is extremely annoying. Rei's taciturn behavior is intriguing but obtuse for the first half of the series before you understand what she is. Shinji's hesitance is relatable, and you can argue this, but I think that ultimately it results in some incredible moments but it also drags the plot. I don't want to sit here thinking "Fuck, Shinji, c'mon" during action scenes. It's frustrating in that context. Obviously it's done on purpose to give the scenes stress, but I think it's cheap. Misato is a good character, but her anguish is a little much at times too. Watching her make mistakes is endearing and demonstrative of her complexity, but it's also a little frustrating. All Gendo wants is instrumentality, and all Ritsuko wants is justice for her mother and her mother's work. The motivations are built well but result in the characters fucking everything over.

Madoka is more tragic simply in virtue of kindness being the character trait that leads to the protagonist's suffering. I like the whole cast, and I think that they were written with just enough naivety to make them believable and likeable. The circumstances surrounding their struggle don't feel shoehorned, and their development in the wake of it feels sincere.

The Madoka fanbase has a lot of morons in it, though. I'd much rather discuss Eva because I don't have to worry about running into /u/
>>
File: 1418104006418.jpg (43KB, 426x319px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1418104006418.jpg
43KB, 426x319px
it was a good show and rebellion was a good movie. Why do you nerds have to make anything more out of it like a high school English teacher?
>>
>>118178233
>latex
They're not latex
>>
File: 1417665598426.jpg (76KB, 720x720px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1417665598426.jpg
76KB, 720x720px
>>118178233
>>118178327
pls. Nobody's got the glorious legs for it anyways.
>>
>>118177773
>The characters in Madoka are very one dimensional
Because the show was more carried by interactions between characters rather than complex individual characters.
>>
>>118178591
>shoujo
TLNOTE shoujo = girl
Yugioh has silly boys
>>
>>118152178
That's the difference between being influential and game-changer (eva) vs ephemeral success thanks to the lowest common denominator (madoka)
>>
File: 1375305749000.jpg (140KB, 1008x658px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1375305749000.jpg
140KB, 1008x658px
>>118152178
>>
>>118178380

Well, I don't feel like writing a huge wall of text regarding Q but I'll try to explain what's good about it from my perspective.

First off I should note that Evangelion has a massively broken fanbase regarding what the character represent and how the themes are meant to be interpreted.

I generally tend to go with the belief that Rei, among other things, represents escapism and fantasy. That's why instrumentality takes place inside of her. There's a lot more going on with her character, including a shitload of freudian symbolism, but if I go into all of that I'll be here all night.

Now, talking about 1.0 and 2.0. There's a pretty good little screenshot of a post that described 1.0 and 2.0 pretty well. 1.0 is Eva as it is. It's basically a remastered version of the first couple episodes and some nice fighting animations. There's really not a lot to say about 1.0, it's fine, but it doesn't really have any of the truly excellent aspects of Evangelion. 2.0 meanwhile was described as Evangelion as seen by the fans. I think it might be equally apt to call it Evangelion as seen via the lens of escapism. All of the girls went from complex and broken to the archetypes that they originally came to define. It's important because Rei takes center stage in 2.0. The symbol of fantasy and escapism in Evangelion becomes the centerpiece, and more importantly than that, Shinji runs after and attempts to save Rei, even as the world rejects her (symbolized by her death to the Angel). Shinji literally chases the fantasy.

Enter Q. Years have passed since Shinji went after Rei, and the world around him has fallen apart because of it. I think Q is an extension of the Gendo metaphor. It's a "what-if" for the fantasy-chaser. The world is crumbling around you, completely neglected by you for years. This is Shinji as a literal "Man-child". He's 28 in age, but 14 in the way he perceives and interacts with the world. He can't even see Asuka and Mari as adults. limit reached.
>>
>>118178991
Replace Madoka with Kill lel Kill and it would be right.
>>
>>118178910
That's laughable. NGE was nothing more than a well-done monster of the week spliced with shitty character pieces here and there.
>>
>>118179013
So, what I'm getting at here is that the bulk of what Anno is trying to get at is in Q.

Why is it better than 1.0 and 2.0? Because 1.0 doesn't say anything, and 2.0 whispers sweet nothings into your ear. Q is Evangelion at its darkest. Asuka doesn't care about being a kawaii uguu tsundere for Shinji anymore, she has her own shit going on. Q is Anno telling you what happens if you get in too deep.

I don't think the characters are ruined. Rei has come out as what she truly is. Emotionless and bland. She's not the fantasy that Shinji was chasing in 2.0. Asuka is no longer the tsundere love interest. She's a human being, she has her own shit to deal with, and she has a lot of feelings for shinji both as an old friend and towards him as the man who destroyed the world.

Q is Evangelion at its darkest and most introspective.

That's just my 2 cents though
>>
File: 1353435704367.jpg (28KB, 382x333px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1353435704367.jpg
28KB, 382x333px
>>118152178
Late to the thread, but I guess I'll repost it later.

Madoka is a very good story, excellent on a technical aspect(direction, pacing, music,all of that stuff).
It is, however a story heavily reliant on plot twists and shock factors. Even more, most characters in Madoka are not people, they are mostly concepts.
That makes the show very fun and impressive, but it mean it doesn't stick as deep as other stuff.

Eva has a bigger amount of plot holes, some of the animation is extremely dated(even though holy shit Anno is a fucking genius of frame composition) and many episodes in the beginning are quite episodic, which means that it is a slower show. However, there are two things that make Eva so relevant, even today:
1.It is a personal story about people. It is done with personal experiences, so if you relate to the characters, chances are you will love it with passion(as it has happened). That kind of personal attachment particularly strong such personal shows.
2. The ending of Madoka is an almost traditional every one happy at the end. The ending of Evangelion is a gigantic statue of Anno slapping you in the tits for wanting it to be about Shiji getting in the robot.
Rebellion tries to do that, but the character arc in rebellion is a concept, not a real thing people can relate to. So the big scene is just a what the fuck moment. The tumbling scene is much more than that.
>>
>>118178680
>I'd much rather discuss Eva because I don't have to worry about running into /u/
W-what's wrong with /u/?
>>
ITT people act like a hugely successful and profitable franchise running on 4+ and counting years of major popularity is a passing fad.

Maybe someone will make this topic again 4 years after Season 2 and/or movie 4 sells a billion copies
>>
>>118179184
>Madoka is a very good story,
Stopped reading there.
>>
>>118179224
How is it not?
>inb4 the fanbase did this and...
>>
>>118179216
Trying to compare it to Evangelion is idiotic though. If it had had the same impact as Eva, we would've seen it by now.

People that think Madoka is anywhere near that level really haven't watched enough Pre-Evangelion anime.
>>
>>118179216
>Season 2 and/or movie 4
Rebellion was the last milking of the franchise, Madoka is already being forgotten, this time for good.
>>
>>118152178
>endless Madoka threads
>passing fad
>>
>>118179184
>Madoka is a very good story, excellent on a technical aspect(direction, pacing, music,all of that stuff).

But it's not a good story, first off. It tears pages from the book of Xenosaga Episode III Also Sprach Zarathustra anyway and it was ridiculous there as well.

The pacing was horrible. If it had been 24 episodes instead of 12, then maybe I could agree with you.
>>
>>118179224
But it is. It is short, it has excellent pacing, it foreshadows almost every twist in natural ways, it is about something, it incorporates time travel, magic and alternate universes with competence, the character arcs are consistent, they end in fitting ways to the character concept and it has a very low amount of plot holes for it's ambition.
>>
>>118179363
>Madoka is already being forgotten, this time for good.

Just like how it was forgotten just after it aired, and then a few weeks after it aired, and then six months after it aired, right?
>>
>>118179334
>People that think Madoka is anywhere near that level really haven't watched enough Pre-Evangelion anime.

Exactly.
>>
>>118179195
Think about it. Anticipation for the first interaction between full power Madoka with memories intact and Homura has been building since episode 10 when we find out what Homura's been doing to try to save her. We see a bit during naked space hug, but all of Rebellion has led up to it and it's going to be massive when it happens.

With that in mind, madohomu fanart and shipping undermines everything the plot has been building to. It's fucking stupid.
>>
>>118179363
Didn't uro say in an interview that the ending was made thinking of making open room for a sequel?
At least is what I've read in a lot of threads here, but never got a source on that
>>
>>118179013
>>118179156
I don't have anything to respond with but thank you for this anon
>>
File: 1380542618502.jpg (167KB, 711x651px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1380542618502.jpg
167KB, 711x651px
>>118152178
If it's just a passing fad, why do you still feel the need to make troll threads about it?
>>
>>118179511
It was left open for two reasons mainly:
So people would fanwank it
If they wanted to make a sequel down the line they could.
>>
I've never watched Madoka, should I even bother at this point?
>>
>>118179450
>>118179334
>No, you have to watch all this old anime to understand how good Eva is

Why should I care about what some anime says about other anime? A truly impressive piece of media shouldn't rely on such a niche context. How about analyze it based on its own merits as a narrative?
>>
>>118179013
>>118179156
It is supposed to be an entertaining movie.
Wham timeskip, everyone just changes while Shinji stay the same. Shit is fucking retarded and the most retarded thing is nobody want to tell him what is going on.
>>
>>118179607
Reread my post dipshit. We're talking about influence and reach.
>>
>>118179598
It's shit, don't waste your time
>>
>>118179598
Yes, it's honesty the best anime since Escaflowne[/url]
>>
>>118179612
>everyone just changes while Shinji stay the same.

That's kind of the point I'm trying to make anon. Everyone else has had to grow up, they've had to deal with the fact that the world is a shitty place, and shit happens.

Everyone except for Shinji.

Also fuck the "b-b-but it's made for entertainment" argument

That's stupid as shit.
>>
>>118179670
>[/url]
What the fuck am i doing, I'm going to bed.
>>
>>118152178
I thought it was cancerous edgy moe shit when it aired, and never watched other than the scene where gun girl gets her head bitten off.
>>
>>118179184
>Even more, most characters in Madoka are not people, they are mostly concepts
People say stuff like this all the time and I can't ever see where this is coming from. How are the characters in Madoka any less "people" than any other anime characters? They have personalities and desires and quirks and flaws that any character could be expected to have.
>>
>>118179415
>But it is.

It's not.

> It is short

It's too short for what it was trying to do with the plot and the characters.

>it has excellent pacing

No, it doesn't. From the beginning it introduces Sayaka and Madoka, and we get an idea of their friendship, but then it suddenly shifts into overdrive with the introduction of Mami. The viewer may or may not feel sorry for Mami, but we are not given enough time to care for her until she kicks it. Then Kyoko is thrown in, Sayaka becomes a Magical girl and they are at each others throats for no reason (unless you read the manga, which for first timers the explanations as to why Kyoko does what she does is discovered after the fact). The story then shifts its focus onto Sayaka's troubles with Kyoko's interspersed here and there but she ultimately only becomes relevant to die at Sayaka's hands and achieves no more than that. No one was given enough to care for her either in terms of characterization. Finally, it focuses on Homura and Madoka, who I could not care less for at this point. Homura had a shitty life and puts herself through constant time loops. Okay, I feel bad for her situation but I don't care about HER. Madoka is meant to become the most powerful Magical Girl and then the most Powerful Witch. Okay, whatever.

> it foreshadows almost every twist in natural ways

Yeah, because we all knew what was going to happen to Mami or what Madoka's wish was going to be, or what Kyubey was really after. Come off it.

>it is about something

About what exactly? The emotions of magical girls will save the universe from entropy? No. Sailor Moon was about something. Princess Tutu was about something. Shoujo Kakumei Utena was about something. Madoka was about nothing.
>>
>>118178680
>The Evas are most complex and realistic but they aren't 14 year old magical girls with hearts of gold so I don't relate to them

You're dumb as shit anon, stay on the Meguka threads.
>>
>>118179750
> it incorporates time travel, magic and alternate universes with competence

No, no it doesn't. By that regard, Final Fantasy VIII and Star Trek 2009 did just as good of a job.

>the character arcs are consistent

Already addressed and no, they are not.

>they end in fitting ways to the character concept and it has a very low amount of plot holes for it's ambition.

Kyoko's end was obvious but she had no real reason to sacrifice herself for Kyoko, The same goes for Homura for Madoka's sake. They barely knew one another yet they immediately became obsessed. That's not normal.

>Plot holes

So a low amount of plot holes means it's good? No.
>>
>>118152178
>it seems more and more that it was just a passing fad. It isn't standing the test of time like Eva.
In what sense? Is there a metric for this concept or is it just something you feel?
>>
>>118179717
Because we aren't given 12 episodes of Slice of Life to repeatedly get their character traits beaten into our heads. Not even a dance episode.
>>
File: kyeko hairgasm.jpg (700KB, 1055x728px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
kyeko hairgasm.jpg
700KB, 1055x728px
>>118152178
>DEM RED PITS
>>
>>118179817
>Not even a dance episode
Luckily Rebellion rectifies this
>>
>>118179789
>They barely knew one another yet they immediately became obsessed. That's not normal.
Who are you talking about?
Kyouko: She saw herself in Sayaka, that's explained in ep 7 or 8 (church episode) which is why she tried to save Sayaka and eventually sacrificed for her.
Homura: You didn't pay attention to the past timelines episode
>>
>>118179628
Which is stupid because one was released less than 5 years ago. It's still huge. Huger than Eva was, simply because the medium is way bigger now. Nobody fucking knows what any of this will be like by the time Madoka is as old as Eva. At best, I'm willing to bet that magica quartet won't be remaking the series for a second time. Gainax even fucked up the first remake. Remember Death & Rebirth?

Claiming that "oh, {contemporary anime} will never have the influence of eva" is stupid. Nobody has even had time to pen a series influence by Madoka. It's still running.
>>
>>118179717
> I can't ever see where this is coming from

I fail to see how. It's not that hard to grasp.

Homura is relentless obsession of a person that she barely knows, but considers it "love".

Sayaka is normalcy, and is the poster girl for what happens when complacency leads to corruption. She was fine "just being a friend" when that really wasn't the case.

Kyouko is selfishness and bitterness - but somehow she turns into a figure of self-sacrifice for a person she barely knows (see homura)

Madoka is divine kindness and gentleness, like a Buddha/Bodhisvatta she is willing to put her own desires aside for the sake of everyone else in existence - the complete opposite of the other girls

Mami is desperation due to extreme circumstances, she is pompous yet lonely and desires companionship during her mission. Her overconfidence due to gaining fast friends (instead of long term ones) does her in. A lot of females make this mistake.
>>
>>118179760
I just explained why I don't like them. Relating to them isn't necessary to appreciate the series, bud.
>>
File: 1417361224252.jpg (56KB, 1397x434px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1417361224252.jpg
56KB, 1397x434px
>>118179933
Will Evangelion ever have the same influence as Lupin the Third, or is it just a passing kawaii dog crap fad that won't stand the test of time?
>>
If anyone had doubts madotards were the worst fanbase on /a/, well...no more doubts
>>
>>118179922

>She saw herself in Sayaka

Yes, I understood this much, but there was still no reason for her to go through the trouble to sacrifice herself for someone she barely knew. You see yourself in others all the time in real ife and in fiction. So what?

>You didn't pay attention.

Yes I did and Homura is obviously the type of girl that would cling to anyone that would give her the time of day, which is understandable as you look at her upbringing. It's understandable but not normal behavior.
>>
>>118180104
Normal people don't spend an eternity of time redoing their first meeting with their only friend.
>>
>>118179997
None of this answers my question. You can distill anyone down to a line of primary characteristics.
>>
>>118179933
Within 4 years of the release of the original series we saw a shitload of anime that had influences from Evangelion.

Off the top of my head, Lain (98') and Nadesico (97'). Fuck me, even Mecha in general tended to slim down in response to Evangelion.

You're fucking retarded if you think we haven't had time to see the influence of Madoka. We would've started seeing it within a season of Madoka's original release.
>>
>>118180002
You don't like them for really stupid reasons. You haven't even given the most cursory examination of why these characters are acting this way. You think Madoka is a tragic because the selflessness of its characters is what drives them towards their downfall, but Evangelion is coming from an even more basic place. People aren't looking to help one another, they're just looking for love and acceptance. Something much more profound and intricate to the human condition than any sort of altruism.
>>
The fact that Madoka threads constantly come up on /a/ (your thread included) means it really hasn't really become irrelevant.

Madoka is by no means as groundbreaking as Eva was, but it was a good anime with a nice spin (maybe not completely original, but still interesting) on the Magical Genre that is still talked about 4 years after it's release. It has great music and animation and at least decent characters. That much you have to give it credit for.

It is by no means a masterpiece that many people make it out to be, but nor is it a festering pile of dogshit that others seem to insist it is. The fact that it is still talked about quite often despite being an 11-episode series makes it at least above average and worth watching.
>>
>>118180104
>but there was still no reason for her to go through the trouble to sacrifice herself for someone she barely knew
She wanted to stick her tongue in, if you get what I mean.
>>
>>118180387
This is a pretty grounded post. Madoka is definitely nowhere near as influential as Evangelion was and still is, but it has its place in Anime history.
>>
>>118180104
>You see yourself in others all the time in real ife and in fiction
I don't.
>>
>>118180497
Yes, you do.
If you didn't, you wouldn't be able to process fiction because it would come across as alien.
>>
>>118180197
That's a good point, but the medium has come so far since then that the goalposts for "immediate inspiration" have moved to what I think is an impossible standard. Imagine if something like Madoka without the art style and Ume character designs came out in the mid 90s. I can't say for sure what it'd be like, but I'm guessing it would be nearly the same, albeit that the fact that Eva is something of a mecha anime makes it a big presence in that genre specifically.
>>
>>118180104
>So what?
Seriously dude? It's not like Kyouko just met Sayaka and thought "wow this girl is similar to me in some ways, better kill myself". There was a whole revelation about "oh shit magical girls turn into witches" in there, and then Kyouko reawakening into her "hero of justice" ideals from her childhood after seeing Sayaka sticking to those same ideals. Remember that every character at some point expresses the idea that dying is preferable to becoming a witch; while Kyouko isn't fragile like Mami to go on a killing spree, but it's still not a fate she herself wants to meet, and at the same time she wants to save Sayaka from that fate so she can be a hero again.
>>
>>118180604
We did have Madoka in the 90s, it was called Utena and it was done better. It was also nowhere near as influential as Evangelion.
>>
>>118180598
There's a huge difference between sympathizing with characters in fiction and literally seeing your past self your past self in them.
>>
>>118180197
If Lain and Nadesico count for Eva (they shouldn't), then Symphogear, Gen'ei, and YuYuYu should count for Madoka (they shouldn't).
>>
>>118180197
Well there has been a trend of "darker" girly shows like Vividred, Wixoss and Yuna Yusha or whatever its called off the top of my head.

Madoka was good, the character designs great but unlike Eva it really didnt break any new ground.
>>
>>118180772
No there isn't. Even the fact that you used "past self" proves that point. A character can only be understood through experience. That sympathy is the result of your own experiences being seen through the lens of another person.
>>