[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why doesnt UBW feel as thrilling to watch as Zero?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 240
Thread images: 28

File: fate zero logo.png (60KB, 410x340px) Image search: [Google]
fate zero logo.png
60KB, 410x340px
Why doesnt UBW feel as thrilling to watch as Zero?
>>
>Fate Zero
>thrilling
>>
>>117995331
Because teenagers in anime are generally indecisive and used too often in anime.
>>
This is all set up man. Just wait until the last few episodes of this cour and all of next cour. Things are going to start tumbling down. Read the VN you mongoloid.
>>
Maybe because the main protagonist is retarded and the only way for things to progress is if everyone else does something?
>>
>>117995331
Are you kidding me? Zero was a snooze fest
>>
Because Urobuchi was a genius in writing compared to what dogshit Nasu writes.
>>
>>117995331
Because tumblr artists don't make memes for this.
>>
I dropped Fate Zero on like episode 2 where Caster kills a boy
>>
>>117995331
Because I never cared about it.

I'm hyped as fuck for HF movie(s??), but can't be bothered to watch UBW before log horizon and SAO in that order.
>>
>>117995561
secondary you don't even realize that over 80 of fate zero was written by Nasu and is in the original VN. All urobuchi did was tie the pieces together, added a few characters and put it into book form. Nasu came up with the plot, most of the characters and the entire story.
>>
>>117995331
Because it's overused high school setting with a bunch of "bigger than life" kids duking it out. It doesn't help that VN is a CHOOSE UR GRILL type with Nasu's crap to spice it up.
>>
>>117995331
Because you didn't read the VN retard.
>>
>>117995473
Everyone's read the VN here.

UBW just feels strange, I guess because the majority of Blade Works is a questioning of Shirou's ideals and so far we havent even gotten to see inside his mind.

A lot of the screenplay feels dull as well.
So far every episode has failed to grab me at the intro and failed to keep me in suspense by the ED.
They all just hang there, it feels awkward to watch, like the show just missed a beat.
>>
File: 1334692872468.jpg (147KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1334692872468.jpg
147KB, 480x640px
Who cares about Fate shitposting when we could talk about glorious Tsukihime instead?
>>
>>117995331
Lack of new memes, excluding the old anime and VN memes.
>>
>>117995797
Actually he did, but he finished it so he just doesn't give a shit about it since it isn't the superior route.

>route
>implying you have a choice
I'm going to start calling it the first, second, or third sequence.
>>
>>117995744
>hurr

Urobuchi is the sole reason why Zero was so good. Fuck off faggot.
>>
>>117995417

Fucking this, have you tried rewatching it? it's closer to a procedural than a thriller.
>>
>>117995919
>Zero was so good

kek
>>
Because it's a close adaptation of the VN, which had serious pacing problems.
>>
>>117995331
>Zero
Main characters are adults
>UBW
Main characters are teenagers

Also Nasu is a hack.
>>
>>117995797
Eh, I've run into more "READ THE VN!!!" posts than those trying to be "helpful".

Though, there was a 'reaction/review' youtube vid where the guy put two and two together on his own. It was quite amusing to watch.
>>
Because you are a faggot and Zero had more husbandos
>>
>Thriller

Nothing fucking happened in the first cour
>>
File: 1413656137397.gif (2MB, 356x400px) Image search: [Google]
1413656137397.gif
2MB, 356x400px
>>117995331
It's simple, the FZ anime > UBW anime. A large part of the suspense from the VN is you seeing changes from events in the previous route and you trying to guess what made those happen, That simply isn't here.
>>
>>117995331
All the F/SN routes are quite slow for the first few days because it's setting up for the main conflicts.
Once everything's prepared (next episode) shit will kick into high gear.

Generally it's whenever Shirou learns projection that things go fucking nuts.
>>
>>117995986
That's your gauge of quality of a work? That's fucking retarded, regardless of whether FSN is shit or not.
>>
>>117996013
I think when people say thriller they mean Servants fighting each other.

But really the first cour of Fate Zero was just set up for things happening in the second arc along with giving some characters time to develop.

Which is exactly what is happening with UBW.

I guess people are butthurt that Shirou isn't Kiritsugu 2.0 or something.
>>
>>117996013
I just it's just like UBW then.
>>
>>117996208
exactly this
>>
>>117995977
>Nasu is a good writer

TOP KEK
>>
Fuck the OP, who's ready for Shirou's first badass scene of UBW?
>>
>>117995874
Once we get an anime ;_;
>>
I've enjoyed the fuck out of UBW way more than Zero, especially if you just weigh the first halves.

I think a lot of people must have just binged Zero and forgot it wasn't the fasted paced show around either. The first real fight doesn't happen until episode /four/. Take that into consideration.
>>
Projection is such an asspull. Why is Fate/stay night so bad?
>>
>>117996297
doesnt change the fact that nasu was writing zero not urubutcher
>>
>>117996325
No fight that was as serious as the first real fight of Zero happened on UBW though. UBW a shit.
>>
>>117996332
Magic is such an asspull. Why is the fantasy genre so bad?
>>
>>117996137
It's a good indicator for how things are going to be.
>>
>>117996332
UBW is full of asspull moments
>LETS HAVE SEX SO YOU CAN SUMMON A FUCKING REALITY MARBLE
>>
>>117996371
>No fight that was as serious as the first real fight of Zero happened on UBW though
You're joking right?
>>
File: 1405303242076.jpg (80KB, 492x500px) Image search: [Google]
1405303242076.jpg
80KB, 492x500px
>>117996371
Well that's just like, your opinion, man.
>>
Zero had the urobutcher fucker writing it. It's way different then the other fate works. There was more on the line with the fate zero plus the Kiritsugu was a boss protagonist who had his ideal contrasted with Sabers. Just overall way fucking better.
>>
>>117996412
You can literally use that argument for any time sex happens in the novel. Did you forget that Fate had the gang stop to have a threesome in the middle of running for their lives?
>>
>>117996384
Oh, well you're indicator ended up being wrong in this situation since the characters in Zero are overall less mature than the characters in FSN despite their ages.
>>
>>117996371
>No fight that was as serious as the first real fight of Zero happened on UBW though. UBW a shit.

>Archer Vs. Lancer
>Saber Vs. Lancer
>Berserker Vs. Archer + Saber
>Archer Vs. Caster

What qualifies as serious to you?
>>
>>117996456
>Zero had the urobutcher fucker writing it.

Why do people love to persist in this. Why do the same people suck off Kiristugu so much?
>>
>>117996456
>>117995744

and kiri was not a boss he was a fucking manchild
>>
File: sulplise.jpg (58KB, 666x632px)
sulplise.jpg
58KB, 666x632px
>>117996412
>Magic circuits are a psuedo-nervous system.
>You pump magic through these circuits to perform magic.
>Turns out sperm has magic in it too because how else do babies develop magic circuits?
>Some anon can't pay attention to details clearly presented in a neat manner for him.
>In UBW Rin explains how a sex ritual can create a bond allowing Shirou to use Rin's mana.
>Some faggot anonymous can't wrap his head around the explanation.
>Calls it an asspull so he looks intelligent.
Ok.
>>
>>117995744
You obviously haven't done your research. Butcher came up with 90% of the scenario. Sure, it was based upon Fate/Stay Night which is all Nasu so you can say in a way Nasu made Zero because a lot of it is derived from F/SN. However, in many interviews Nasu even stated that the ideas he had for a prequel were essentially the same as Urobutcher's. Thus Urobutcher gets all the credit for making the story.
>>
>>117996384
Not really. You're saying character characteristics inherently lower the value of a work/author, when part of the job of an author is to get you inside a character's mind. them doing that successfully is what should be measured. An immature, dumb character can be interesting, especially if you can be made to understand their thoughts.
>>
>all this catfight over shit

It's Fate/stuff, not the complete works of Shakespeare.

Fucking nasufans, THE WORST.
>>
Because you read the FSN VN beforehand but not the Zero LN.
>>
Serious hardcore trolling tonight.
>>
>>117996464
That was a tactical move.

Replenish energy and if Berserker had found them, he simply would've joined in, negating the threat.

Good work Rin.
>>
>>117996324
There is a tsukihime anime
It's shit though.
>>
File: havesomemedicine.jpg (191KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
havesomemedicine.jpg
191KB, 800x600px
>>117996738
you poor thing
>>
>Ataraxia

Guys
If all routes happened
and none of them did
then why doesn't
the Emiya household explode like a sexual tension singularity

Just started on reading it...
>>
>>117996738
I still managed to enjoy it. It's an awful adaptation, but it just shows how strong the story is at its core non the less.
>>
>>117996515
>>117996518
I've enjoyed most of the work he did and think he is a better writer than most of the other shit I watched. I don't think Kiritsugu is a manchild. Children are selfish and Kiritsugu performed many selfless acts.
>>
>>117996812
Are you implying it isn't? What the fuck are you reading.

Also it's NOT SHIROU HUEHUEHUHEU
>>
>>117995744
er, no. the best parts of zero are all urobuchi, like kiritsugu's character, motivations, and origin story. he basically gets one throwaway line in fate route about using a gun, and the rest of it is heard secondhand (unreliably) from kirei in HF.
>>
>>117996865
Dont tell me they're going to pull that.
>>
>>117996865

I don't know it it will or won't. I've literally just got it working an hour ago.
>>
The Fate series is completely build up, stop whining. We don't even know anything at this point.

Also whenever someone says Nasu is a bad writer it makes me raise my eyebrow. In what way? Can you explain to me instead of just saying READ REAL LITERATURE! Like no really I want to know why.

Also one thing to note is that a lot of things are lost in the shitty translation that was done like 100 years ago.
>>
>>117996887
>(unreliably)
How is Kerei unreliable?
>>
>>117996997
I watched the UBW movie and thought it was pretty good. I definitely like Gilgamesh as an antagonist. I guess what I don't like is the naive teenager and highschool shit. It is done to death and I feel if characters are actually adults and have that maturity shit would be more interesting.

In Zero everything was well thought out and planned where as in UBW they are just running around coming up with shit last minute. Kiritsugu was a capable person on his own where as Shirou and Rin are shit in the beginning. Shirou doesn't become boss until the end and by that point he is just overpowering Gilgamesh versus some like Kiritsugu would have had a strategy of some sort.
>>
>>117996531
>>Turns out sperm has magic in it too because how else do babies develop magic circuits?
Not just sperm, any bodily fluid. It's just that drinking blood is a Very Bad Thing in the Nasuverse and saliva has fuckall magic in it. That's why Kuro has to french a dozen girls in Kaleid Liner if it isn't Ilya or Miyu, both of them being Grails hooked up to Kaleidosticks.
>>
>>117997155
>I watched the UBW movie
stop reading there
>>
File: 1406472232922.png (136KB, 622x626px) Image search: [Google]
1406472232922.png
136KB, 622x626px
>>117997155
>I watched the UBW
>>
>>117997155
>I watched the UBW movie

I don't need to read the rest of what you typed to know that you're wrong
>>
>>117997186
nah, it's that he thought it was pretty good where I stopped
>>
Fate/zero is only good after you read the fucking vn, secondary-kun.
>>
>>117996997
People always blame the translation for everything that's wrong with Nasu's writing, but can anyone actually verify that it's really that great in the original language? Most faggots here, you included, are EOP. I have only seen snippets of actual translations and those alone don't convince me of the overall quality of the work at all.

Provide some proof or fuck off.
>>
>>117997256
I didn't say that everything wrong with Nasu can be blamed on translation, I just said NOTE.

You can talk about how the story develops etc, but shit like the prose or how things were phrased can definitely be associated with bad translation.
>>
File: 1353435704367.jpg (28KB, 382x333px) Image search: [Google]
1353435704367.jpg
28KB, 382x333px
>>117995331
Because most of what has happened until now feels shallow. There is a big contrast between the maturity the show aspires to and the maturity it shows in itself. The dialogue is really bad, the characters are fucking anime teenagers doing anime teenager shit and the fight scenes feel like nothing.
Leaving aside a few scenes(mainly the small bits where Gil appears in the background) that establish an atmosphere of danger, UBW is very safe and too self important for what it can achieve. The nasuverse infodump is fucking annoying not only due to the amount of stuff they have explain, but also because it feels like a fucking video game fantasy world created by a dumb fuck. Most characters are not only unrealistic, but also very boring ones at that(monogatari and baccano have unreal characters, but they happen to be interesting and fun to watch). And also you have a godawful character like Shinji(like, holy shit, how does he even have friends). Most of plot developments until now have been all establishing the scenario and it feels like the write can pull anything out of his ass to make stuff happen(because MAGIC).

F/Z had better characters, the arcs were better defined and it followed a shitload of people. That made it a more engaging show even when nothing was happening because you had small developments on every front. It also meant that the big events had more impact, because you were following how it would hit the lives and plans of a lot of people. It also made it more serious in a good way, because you saw how complex the war was. Here, not only it is simplified(because teenagers), but it also tends to TELL YOU how complex it is, instead of showing it.

So yeah, basically it is because of Nasu's usual writing problems.
>>
>>117995331
T-M was more fresh and fun to get into few years ago, all thanks to FZ & KnK. Now it is simply overexposed, UBW is okay as fanservice for ppl who are already farmiliar to the source material, but it just doesn't bring it like FZ & KnK.

It doesn't help that the fanbase somehow managed to be even more austistic nowadays, always argue over the least trivia uninteresting things and this makes the threads on /a/ bad too.
>>
>>117995331
Because it's only one route of a VN that needs at least one other to make sense and to fill the gaps.
>>
>>117997350
TMfags are fucking cancer. Apart from waifufaggotry(which happens always with everyone) all they do is discuss powerlevels. It's like a buch of comic book dumbshits.
>>
>Episode 10: "Rin's Adventure!"
>>
>>117997256
The translation for FSN will always be bad because it was done by someone who had English as their second language, hence it being filled with loads of grammatical errors and awkward phrasing you would never see in properly translated English, original writing aside.

And if you aren't EOP why don't you just read the VN in Japanese or look up reviews for the VN and thoughts on the writing yourself if it bothers you so much?
>>
>>117997320
The more I read your post the more it seems like you're saying a lot of words without actually SAYING anything.
>>
File: shiki.gif (39KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
shiki.gif
39KB, 500x500px
>>117997494
That was out of place.
>>
Fate/zero >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Fate/stay in the kitchen

Urobuchi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nasu
>>
>>117997438
I don't think so. What exactly doesn't make sense with UBW? It's Heaven's Feel that would be weird to jump right into.
>>
>>117997520
English is not my first language, so it is very hard for me to express complicated stuff.
>>
>>117997320
I think this is why something like Kayneth vs Kiritsugu against Caster vs Archer feels better to watch, there's that feeling of actual consequence and danger to the scene.
>>
>>117997320
>It's development and interesting when F/Z does it, but it's not when FSN does it, regardless of the actual content/context
That's literally all your post sums up to.
>>
>>117995331
Honestly so far UBW lacks drama and conflicts between characters, this causes no tension whatsover in what's happening. In FZ everyone has a agenda and the masters all have some sort of stragedies, it just feel like they took this supposed "war" more serious.
>>
File: 1380448205072.jpg (91KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1380448205072.jpg
91KB, 720x960px
Holy fucking shit people please it's 2014 nobody has been yelling about how Zero is better than Fate for anything other than the purpose of trolling for fucking years just stop feeding them
>>
>>117997591
>there's that feeling of actual consequence and danger to the scene.

You want consequence? By the end of the cour Shirou's contract with Saber will be broken.
>>
>>117997350
They don't care. The only reason UBW is being adapted is because it prints cash monies. It's funny though because according to stalkerfags it won't sell as much as Zero.
>>
>>117997619
More like.
Fate/Zero succeds in being engaging due to better writing and better story focus.
UBW fails at being engaging due medicvre writing and a lax story focus.
>>
File: 1404976188226.png (183KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1404976188226.png
183KB, 700x700px
>>
>>117995331
Because it's a rehash of a rehash
>>
>>117997688
>Why doesnt UBW feel as thrilling to watch as Zero?
Present. Ergo ep.00 to ep.09
>You want consequence? By the end of the cour Shirou's contract with Saber will be broken.
>By the end of the cour
>>
>>117997699
>better writing
Opinion
>better focus
You yourself said it followed far more characters than UBW did. Sure that might work to its benefit, but you can't call it quite as focused when it's switching perspectives every two minutes.
>>
>>117997714
This picture makes me cringe so much.
>>
>>117997512
According to Moogy-dono, the writting of FSN was abysmal in Japanese too.
>>
>>117995331
Because the focus is on the only characters in this war who aren't really trying to win the grail. Why should we cheer for them ?
Also the level of this war. Sure enemies don't have to be overpowered to be threatening (it's all relative to the strength of the MC) but by comparison they feel like a joke.
>>
So Taiga asking Saber to spar with her im order to prove she's worthy of protecting Shirou didn't happen?
>>
>>117997810
Every servant in the 5th war is a beast compared to the ones in the 4th.
>>
Because all we get is Shitrou and his asspulls, at least in F/Z if you didn't like Kerry you had other masters to focus on. Kerry doesn't really become the 'MC' til all the other masters are gone
>>
>>117997753
>it followed a shitload of people. That made it a more engaging show even when nothing was happening because you had small developments on every front. It also meant that the big events had more impact, because you were following how it would hit the lives and plans of a lot of people. It also made it more serious in a good way, because you saw how complex the war was. Here, not only it is simplified(because teenagers), but it also tends to TELL YOU how complex it is, instead of showing it
That is why I think FZ's approached the story better.
And yes, of course it is based on opinion, but some of the lines in UBW feel like a fucking parody.
>>
>>117997746
I'd like to remind you that by this point in Zero, Assassin wasn't even killed yet.
>>
>>117997714
>All opinions are in it for the ruse
>>
>>117997699
That's what you're trying to say, but you provide no reason/context as to why that is the case. However, assuming you're also >>117997584
, that's understandable why given your situation. For someone like me, things like >>117997591 are poor examples in regards to being tense scenes, because F/Z is a prequel and I know that Kiritsugu will survive to the end.
>>
>>117997853
What asspulls has Shirou done so far?
>>
>>117997813
That's in the Fate route. Here, Taiga only is like "So you're Kiritsugu's buddy? Ok"
>>
>>117997845
It's not about brute strength, it's about the master/servant chemistry, how they work together, what strategy is the master using and how does it tie in with the servant powers. Try comparing Kiritsugu, Tokiomi, Archibald, hell even Waver to the masters of FSN. They did things. They didn't just run around waiting to be attacked. They schemed, they planned, they ambushed. Most of FSN's masters can't do anything by themselves and rely entirely on their servant's brute strength.
>>
>>117997845
>Every servant in the 5th war is a beast compared to the ones in the 4th.
I AM TIRED OF THIS SHIT
WE ARE TALKING ABOUT PERCEiVED THREAT.
THIS IS A MAGIC WORLD FULL OF BULLSHIT.
ERGO, I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE STATS OF EVERY GUY.
I CARE ABOUT HOW WELL THOSE CHARACTERS ADD TENSION AND CREDIBLE THREAT TO THE STORY
FZ SERVANTS ACHIEVE THAT 10x TIMES BETTER THAN FSN SERVANTS DUE TO SMARTER WRITING(THIS WE CAN DEBATE).

STOP MISSING THE FUCKING POINT HOLY SHIT
>>
>>117998034
>Most of FSN's masters can't do anything by themselves and rely entirely on their servant's brute strength.

You're gonna like next episode.
>>
>>117997979
>surviving his idiocy by incompetency
Shirou should have died 10x over already
>>
>>117995331
Because my dick smells bad.
>>
>>117997805
And according to my friend who is actually Japanese, and from what I've asked him about the subject and from what other people I've seen on /a/ say, the stigma about the writing in FSN doesn't exist in Japan since most people there are smart enough to realize they are reading an eroge, and consider Nasu to be 5/5 stars at conceptualizing things and only average as a writer at the time of FSN. And I really wouldn't take Moogy's word for anything ever.
>>
Does anyone else feel the tsun lines from Rin feel off?
>>
>>117998121
Well for one he's already died once, and that is a plot point, but could you place exactly where else he should have died?
>>
>>117998034
Shirou and Rin ARE doing something. They're investigating. They're trying to find out who the other Masters are because they don't have the information networks that the Zero Masters had.

Caster's consolidating her power. She's absorbing mana from the town to try and hoard enough to take on Berserker. Soon, she's going to make HUGE steps in that department.

Lancer's Master doesn't give a fuck. His win scenario is kill whoever the last Master standing is and let the Grail birth Angra Mainyu.

Shinji literally JUST TRIED to do something last week. He's just so incompetent he got BTFO as soon as he tried it.

Ilya's the only one you really have a point about, but you can make the exact same point about Kariya in Zero. He spent his time doing FUCK. ALL.
>>
>>117998151
His writing is not that great imo. But his worldbuilding, oh lord, the lore of the T-M world is godly.
>>
>>117998235
Even Lancer's doing something; he's been ordered to scout out every servant and fight them.
>>
>>117995744
There's a very big difference between laying out of groundwork for a story like "yeah Kotomine betrays Tokiomi, and then he fights Kiritsugu but the grail interrupts them..." than writing an actual novel (or a television script for that matter). If you only want to know what happens in a novel you can just read the spark notes, but to appreciate the prose, the atmosphere, the dialogue, etc etc you have to read the whole work. And Urobuchi does deserve the credit for that in Fate/Zero.
>>
>>117998121
same goes for the character in zero

-Iskandar chose to interrupt the fight between Saber and Lancer and asked them to ally with him while revealing his identity. As per the reaction of some of the other characters, who the fuck would do that? Honestly if he had wanted to, he could have launched a surprise attack on one of them and kill them without revealing that he was Iskandar the Great, but he didn't because that was his personality.

-After Iskandar interrupts Saber/Lancer/Berserker, Gilgamesh could have killed at least one of them with all of those Noble Phantasms he had ready (he could have even kept at a distance as well), but that was against Tokiomi's strategy.

-Also during that time, Kiritsugu could have sniped Waver but didn't. Assassin could have attempted to quickly killed Irisviel from the shadows while all the servants were busy. This is similar to how F/SN's Archer decided to target the servants when he could have possibly went after the master.
>>
>>117998191
Tsunderes weren't a thing back when FSN wa written. Now they're almost old fashioned. This kind of lines/attitude itself is old fahioned.
>>
>>117998034
>Caster draining the town for strength
>Shinji/Rider sucking the school dry for strength
>Shirou learning what the fuck is going on. Saber recuperating between stuff because she can't regenerate quickly.
>Rin doing shit, not paying attention to the harmless guy, yet.
>Ilya wrecking shit behind the scenes.
>Kerei letting the others kill each other with his OP servant as backup.
>>
>>117998278
Right, but by this point, he's already achieved that goal and is left with fuck all to do.
>>
>>117998235
To be fair though, Kariya's characterization was bad in the anime compared to the novel where you get a much better idea of what's going on in his head and what he's doing.
>>
I watched the UBW movie with english dub.
The dub was better than I expected it to be. Shirou's VA was shit, tho.
>>
>>117998313
Rin's VA was god awful.
>>
>>117998287
>Tsunderes weren't a thing back when FSN wa written

Are you retarded? Tsunderes have been big in anime since at least the 80s. Go read Ranma sometime.

Now, Rin was the prototype for modern tsunderes, that I can agree with.
>>
>>117998343
Nah, that was USAKA.
>>
>>117998307
>To be fair though, Shirou's characterization was bad in the anime compared to the novel where you get a much better idea of what's going on in his head and what he's doing.
>>
>>117998235
Personally, I don't find any of that shit as compelling as the stuff in Zero because Zero seemed like it had a much larger scale to what happened. You don't see anyone using tactics or siege or anything like that in F/SN, whereas in Zero, everyone has a plan and the tension comes from finding out who has the best plan. F/SN is less of an action/drama like that and more of a mystery story. Most of it is just about people trying to figure out what's going on.
>>
>>117998343
>Rin was the prototype for modern tsunderes

How? She's a very clean classic tsundere. Though Ufotable has been upping her roughness with Shirou.
>>
>>117998286
that's not really what I'm talking about. Shirou only survived his encounter with Lancer and Rider because they wanted to waste time and talk shit long enough for him to be saved.
>>
>>117998362
Fair enough.

Asuka was v0, Rin was v0.5 or something. Much closer to the modern "abusive cunt" tsunere, but not quite there yet.
>>
>>117998034
Tokiomi and Kiritsugu are the only masters in F/Z that ever really do anything competent in regards to strategy and trying to win the war. Kirei doesn't care and is just Tokiomi's pawn, Kariya is too busy wanting to get revenge on Tokiomi to think, Kayneth spends all his time trying to fight honorable magic battles that all go wrong, and Waver only ever does one competent thing in finding Caster's hideout, relying on Rider for the rest of things like you're criticizing the masters of FSN for.

Mean while, FSN Caster is by far the most competent master in the whole series who actually has an entire strategy to win the whole entire war, FSN Kirei is sending out Lancer to scout out the competition, Shinji is powering up Rider while following the strategy laid out by Zouken, and Rin/Shirou are working together to stop Caster/Shinji. Ilya is really the only person doing what you're describing, but even she's effectively trying to do what Tokiomi and Gilgamesh should have done all along since Hercules is OP as fuck.
>>
>>117998408
>Shirou only survived his encounter with Lancer

Shirou became a master. Lancer was ordered to not kill any masters/servants; just fight them and assess their skills.

Also Rider hated her master and wanted to see with that was par for the course or if she was just dealt a raw deal.
>>
>>117995331
Different writer. Nasu can't build tension for shit.
>>
>>117995331

To be clear, UBW is a re-adaption of the original F/SN, correct?
>>
If shirou asked saber to sleep in the same futon as him for extra protection during the night, would she do it?
>>
>>117998513
It follows another route from the DEEN show. Same setting, different story.
>>
>>117998408
And how is that different from Iskandar dicking around and being silly, or Gil/Tokiomi deciding "well this isn't the time to actually get anything done despite the fact that we've revealed our NP and not accomplished anything"?
>>
>>117995331
secondaries in general?
>>
>>117997969
Okay, I'll try.

The first fight scene in F/Z is a fake. They fake killing Assassin to trick the other masters.
Point 1. There is already an alliance at play.
Point 2. It happens at an isolated place, but Kirei and beard guy know everyone is watching, because they are all competent.
Point 3. That's a smart fucking plan, it almost feels like a chess play done by a person with a brain.
Point 4. We know ALL OF THIS AT THE SAME TIME IT HAPPENS.
Point 5. It is short, it feels very real. assassin makes a mistake and BAM fight over

The first fight in UBW is Archer vs Lancer.
Point 1. We have almost no context, it is used to show us that Archer is so cool you guys.
Point 2. Like in FZ, it is and isolated fight, but it also is isolated from the rest of the masters. We don't know them, it feels like no one is watching.
Point 3. Anime choreography. Looks impressive, but removes seriousness. It is really long and full of battleshonen moments.
Point 4. Feels almost like a random pokemon just appeared. In FZ it was a calculated move of people with a big strategy, here it surely has something of that, but it is presented as HELLO, I AM ENEMY N°1.
>>
>>117998522
Of course, she wanted to in the first place, but "B-baka! Girls can't sleep next to boys!".
>>
ITT: fags who've never read the VN saying that UBW was a weak route. Better than fucking Fate, god damn. Heaven's Feel wasn't that much better.

Also Fate/zero is easily weaker than any of the three routes of the VN...

>>117998381
>You don't see anyone using tactics or siege or anything like that in F/SN
Holy shit...you can't be serious. There's more depth than F/Z for fucks sake, there was inner monologue (although god that began to grate sometimes), and you didn't get any asspull building explosions to suddenly end an arc for example.
>>
>>117998590
I thought she just met in the same room, not go as far as the same bed. I wish I could've been saber's master now
>>
>>117998556
secondaries in general
>>
File: ice cube.png (1MB, 1275x717px) Image search: [Google]
ice cube.png
1MB, 1275x717px
>>117997320
You fucking nailed it on the head. I never have to read another Fate thread again.
>>
>>117998621
>Heaven's Feel wasn't that much better

Heaven's Feel was weaker overall. It gets really good at the end, but it's not that hot throughout.
>>
>>117998556
>>117998652
maximum autism
>>
>>117998670
Its not as bad as the failures who don't even have the attention span or the intelligence to read the visual novel, which has even been translated and which far surpasses any anime adaptation in terms of quality.
>>
>>117998665
Could you imagine the amount of bitching if Heaven's Feel got adapted as a show?

>Introduce all these neat new servants
>They all die without doing anything
>>
>>117998544
They're completely different. Rider and Gil do whatever the fuck they want, it's not plot armor shenanigans.
>>
Is this moe?
>>
>>117998719
I want to see /a/ reaction
>>
>>117998717
Can you blame them?

The novel takes about 40 hours to beat.
>>
>>117998743
What the fuck defines "plot armor"? In both cases its Servants and/or Masters not taking kills for reasons, which range from the silly to the strategic.
>>
>>117998719
God it would be so worth though. Its climax is easily the best ending of the series--UBW ending has nothing on it. And Fate ending is just the beginning of Heroic Spirit Emiya, really.
>>
>>117998743
so does archer
>>
>>117998764
Nobody's saying you have to read it in one sitting. If you can't read fast, take your fucking time with it.
>>
Is "writing" a new buzzword?
>>
>>117998570
Your English probably isn't as bad as you might think it is so you should be a bit more confident in yourself. Your first points on F/Z are very good and I agree with it as to how it sets up tension. Your second point I agree doesn't set up tension in the same manner, but that also wasn't the point of that scene. The Lancer/Archer fight was designed to show you how strong and amazing servants are. It serves the same role as the Lancer/Saber fight in Zero. Regardless, you did bring up a good point so I have a better idea of what you're thinking of. In such a context, Zero did do a better job of setting up an overall tension for the rest of the story to follow.
>>
>>117998755
/a/ would circlejerking about stay in the kitchen and wormslut a shit.

It's the secondaries anons have to brace for though with READ THE VN all thread, every thread.
>>
File: 1353437285442.jpg (27KB, 350x468px) Image search: [Google]
1353437285442.jpg
27KB, 350x468px
>>11799871
>Its not as bad as the failures who don't even have the attention span or the intelligence to read the visual novel, which has even been translated and which far surpasses any anime adaptation in terms of quality.
>the intelligence to read the visual novel
>intelligence
>to read an eroge
>>
>>117998717
Maximum autism
>>
>>117998790
I'm not talking about archer
>>
>>117998621
Of course there's more depth to F/SN, it's three stories while F/Z is one. I was never arguing that. I was arguing F/Z did action and tension better because of its scale.

>you didn't get any asspull building explosions to suddenly end an arc
Yeah, instead you got asspull healing sword sheaths. Your point? Also Kiritsugu blowing up Kayneth's building was more the beginning of an arc than the end of one. Did you even watch the show? The explosion resolved literally nothing and its main point was to reinforce what kind of methods Kiritsugu uses. Honestly, it was refreshing seeing someone actually use conventional weaponry in an anime about magic. I found myself questioning why Shirou and Rin weren't packing heat.
>>
>>117998801
There being a magic cup you can make a wish on, just so you can have conflict between characters, is forced writing.
>>
>>117998785
>Fate ending is just the beginning of Heroic Spirit Emiya
No it's not
>>
>>117998751
His name is Issei.
>>
>>117995417
I tried to rewatch FZ and gave up on the very first episode. Shit's unbearable.
>>
>>117998856
Canonically, it is.
>>
>>117998844
>I found myself questioning why Shirou and Rin weren't packing heat
What? Why would they be? Shirou literally just found out he's in a grail war the instant it happened.
>>
>>117998764
40 hours. Geez its longer than that. It will take you longer unless you're some NEET who doesn't even have a job, and can afford to sit at home and marathon it.

But anyway, thats 40 hours specifically designed to fucking entertain you. Good music, art, and other bright shiny shit. If you can't even read a book with visual aids what good are you?
>>
>>117998801
With how it's used on /a/, it might as well be.
>>
>>117998877
No it isn't, Nasu is against you
>>
>>117998855
>forced writing
>>
>>117998896
You're wrong.
>>
>>117998877
That is the opposite of true.
>>
>>117998877
>Q: During the last part of Sakura’s route, Shirou was saved by the tiny bit of residual mana in Rin Tohsaka’s pendant. Also, it seems like Rin knew about the difference in residual mana between the thing he got back from Archer and the thing he was holding, so could Sakura’s route be the one in which Shirou becomes a Heroic Spirit after all? Or could you tell us the route(s) in which Shirou doesn’t become a Heroic Spirit?

>A: I’ll just say now that he doesn’t become a Heroic Spirit in any of the routes, but the possibility is still present in all of them as well. Basically, the probability of it happening is almost zero.
>>
>>117998877
No, Fate Shirou has really small chance of becoming EMIYA. Avalon with Seiba>Alaya's bitch

I wish this is bait, really I fucking wish
>>
>>117998876
it's 40 minutes of pretty much pure explanation and introduction
>>
File: 1354510519707.png (11KB, 590x407px) Image search: [Google]
1354510519707.png
11KB, 590x407px
>>117998855
>forced writing
>>
>>117998855
Is it okay to say "artificial writing"?
Like "artificial fun".
>>
The next Ufotable anime will be FHA.
>>
>>117998829
>Shirou, please cum on you king's face
>>
>>117998887
Once they're in, there's nothing stopping them from taking the train to the local armory and picking up some weaponry for when their servants aren't around. Has to be cheaper than all the jewels Rin uses.
>>
>>117998877
No, the only thing that has been said about Fate, is that it is the one of the three most likely to led to EMIYA. There's a whole multiverse of possibilities that are more likely than all three.
>>
>>117998909
>Q: Could Sakura’s route be the one in which Shirou becomes a Heroic Spirit after all?
>A: I’ll just say now that he doesn’t become a Heroic Spirit in any of the routes

No I'm not
>>
Christ what a feeding frenzy of assthirsty faggots this thread turned out to be.
>>
>>117998955
>the local armory
What
>>
>>117998947
God no please no God.
>>
>>117998967
>Christ what a feeding frenzy of DEFENSELESS assthirsty faggots this thread turned out to be.
Fixed that for you.
>>
Unlike FZ, FSN is full of forced action.
>>
>>117998939
You fucking idiot, if EMIYA had never been in contact with Avalon, he's not becoming an HS since he's not going to have an RM if his origin isn't sword.
>>
>>117998992
The actual stuff that nasu did for HA is good though, the worst parts are the stuff that guest writers did
>>
File: 1334437038291.png (572KB, 2150x2842px) Image search: [Google]
1334437038291.png
572KB, 2150x2842px
>>117998945
What exactly defines artificial writing? Artificial fun is the act of doing and enjoying something more so because of the concept than the actual thing you are currently experiencing, such as watching an ufotable adaptation of FSN while not being a secondary. Can we port over the same kind of logic to artificial writing?
>>
>>117998962
>>117998964

MoS seems like an ending that would bring the probabilityy of Shirou becoming EMIYA significantly above zero.
>>
>>117998964
>anything I greentext is true
try harder, trollface
>>
File: face 318.png (348KB, 480x343px) Image search: [Google]
face 318.png
348KB, 480x343px
>>117999041
>forced action
>>
>>117999056
The worst part of the game is clicking on a minimap to have pointless conversations with characters that should be dead.

Which is 85% of the game.
>>
>>117999078
No, MoS Shirou is Kerry 2.0. Archer didn't have that same mindset while he was alive.
>>
>>117999078
MoS shirou is kiritsugu though, not archer

They're very different

>>117999102
And if it was focused on the main plot that wouldn't be a problem, if the SoL stuff was side stuff you could do and it let you get through Nasu's work it would be much better
>>
>>117995331

Because there's a lot more cooking and high school filler scenes in UBW, and when they're not cooking its about Shirou trying awkwardly to be an ally of justice while discovering himself.
>>
>>117999078
He sacrifices his ideal even harder in MoS than he does in True end and the normal ends. EMIYA's ideal is still the same, he's just become jaded. That Shirou is a completely different character.
>>
>>117999078
>MoS=Archer
Why are fatefags so dumb?
>>
Probably because you played the visual novel first. And the fact that the epic action in UBW doesn't even begin until after Caster dies.
>>
>>117999109
>>117999122
Kiritsugu and Archer may have thought different things, but they had the same type of character development and ended up making the same kind of sacrifices, IIRC
>>
>>117999157
>epic
>>>/b/
>>
>>117999102
>>117999122
It's a FAN DISC, you fucking narutards.
SoL and pointless conversations is the main point.
>>
>>117998844
>I found myself questioning why Shirou and Rin weren't packing heat.

Because it's fucking Japan, where there are EXTREMELY STRICT anti-gun laws, and because they're both fucking teenagers. And Rin's a magus, and magi don't use guns. Why would they need to? They have magic.
>>
File: Yes!.jpg (511KB, 1060x1500px)
Yes!.jpg
511KB, 1060x1500px
>>117998751
>>
>>117999173
Not really, Kiritsugu gained the death of the few to save the many mindset after killing his father.

EMIYA only became jaded after becoming a counter-guardian, being forced to kill thousands to save the balance of the world rather than to save innocents.

Somewhat similar methods, but inherently different ideals.
>>
>>117999186
Fuck your fanservice bullshit, I want to fuck the entire cast while actual threatening things happen, not while nothing happens.
>>
>>117995331
Because FSN isn't a "thriller". Fate/Zero was adapted to television with it being a thriller in mind.

You have to think of FSN:UBW adaptation like it's a character study of a bunch of lost kids.

Shirou was adopted by Kiritsugu after his whole family was killed in the aftermath of the grail. Rin's Dad was murdered/betrayed by Kirei (a complete sociopath) and her Mom died shortly after because of the brain damage Kariya inflicted on her. Sakura is sent to live with Zouken and Shinji, and they're monsters who send worms on her.

What the UBW (although the story works best when it's a Heaven's Feel/UBW best of both) adaptation is doing well is exploring these kids feelings towards their absent or abusive parents.

The can talk magic, fighting, killing other servants like it's nothing. What gets them hung up is their emotional baggage from their upbringing, and every character deals with it differently. It's actually the best part of the anime, which given the budget is saying something.
>>
>>117999301
>FAN DISC
>Fuck your fanservice bullshit
Are you retarded or what?
>>
>>117999362
YOU must be if you think I'm gonna talk to Saber about donuts while in Sakura's room.
>>
File: 12349627365465464.png (2MB, 1920x1040px) Image search: [Google]
12349627365465464.png
2MB, 1920x1040px
>>
>>117999302
thrill•ing

v.
Present participle of thrill.
adj.
Causing the feeling of a sudden excitement.
>>
>>117999431
I have a feeling of sudden excitement whenever Saber appears on screen
>>
>>117999362
>Hey lets talk to rider
>Oh sakura showed up
>SENPAI WHY ARE YOU TALKING TO RIDER STOP LETS TALK ABOUT LUNCH INSTEAD

The majority of the SoL scenes are just about what to make for lunch/dinner because the guest writers are shit. I don't want to go through any of the female cast conversations because of that.
>>
>>117995331
Fate/Zero is a story about the holy grail war with Kerrytugu in the background.

Fate/stay night is a story about Shirou with the holy grail war in the background.
>>
File: 164707.png (3MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
164707.png
3MB, 1600x1200px
>>117999479
Can't wait for this scene.
>>
>>117999479
Saber doesnt even have a character in this route all because we have to make way for Asu- I mean Rin.

So we just get to see her eat rice, argue about bread, and do all sorts of cute things so that the Fate fans that poll can get their fill.
>>
>>117995331
>>>/v/
>>
>>117998844
>Yeah, instead you got asspull healing sword sheaths.

That also happened in F/Z with Kerry getting his insides exploded from Kotomine. But I guess it only counts as plot armor when it heals Shirou and not other characters.
>>
>>117995331
>>117999302
The most resonant parts of the series so far have come in scenes where Rin and Shirou talk about their mage parents.

Rin is pissed at Shirou that his Dad was around, but didn't teach him much magic because if she admits magic isn't the most important thing to herself, it's like she makes her Dad's death meaningless. Shirou realizes in that scene he's stepped on a raw wire and doesn't push it.

Rin realizes she stepped on one of Shirou's live wires when he reveals to her he's seen plenty of death. It's not revisited in the following (this week's) episode but it hangs over their interactions. Rin tries to be closer to Shirou this week, she's more protective of him. She tries to trust him more because she wants to know what "I have seen death" means.

In addition, it opens her up a bit. She tries to get the perspective of what adoption is like from Shirou, not realizing he was adopted without a lot of say in the process. Shirou has to give an answer that justifies his past instead of one that is right/what he really feels.

If the scene where Rin calls Kiritsugu not a mage is the first instance of this sort of scene, Shirou talking adoption at the end of this episode is the counter-weight.

I get that the fights and overall plotting/pacing in Fate/Zero were better, but the characterization in this UBW adaptation is just as interesting, it is just unfolding slower.

>>117999431
Would "action horror" suffice?
>>
>>117998455
I think the difference here is that we aren't seeing the war from everyone's perspective at once. Instead we are only seeing the story from shirou's point of view, and shirou is fucking clueless. Its not that the other masters aren't making strategies and plans, its that we aren't seeing the story from their point of view this time.

The anon you replied to cant even comprehend this, and he's not really worth responding to. Its not an inherently worse method of story telling, its just different from the methods fate zero employed. Some people may prefer one over the other. Fate zero showed us the war from a third party perspective, letting is see everything from everyone's perspective and with little bias towards any particular character. UBW on the other hand is throwing us into the middle of the story with shirou, and we are supposed to learn about things as we go along with shirou. Fate zero ruined this aspect of the story for secondaries because they're no longer learning about what's going on with shirou, they already know all the secrets.
>>
>>117999569
But Saber has already shown off so much character in this route like how she honors Rider's death or gets jealous of Archer.
>>
>>117999586
Except in F/Z, it wasn't an asspull because we knew Kiritsugu had it from the beginning. It was the catalyst he summoned Saber with, for christ's sake. In F/SN, we have no idea what's keeping Shirou alive and there's no way to even make a reasonable guess about what it is until you actually see it.
>>
>>117999618
When does she get jealous?

And why doesnt Archer have a subconscious affinity towards Saber?
>>
>>117999431
>Causing the feeling of a sudden excitement.
So OP's main complain is that FSN is not exciting enough.
>>
So did shinji really set up that spell at school or was it caster? He seemed like the kind of jackass that'd do that
>>
>>117999671
>When does she get jealous?
In the training scene with Shirou.

>And why doesnt Archer have a subconscious affinity towards Saber?
He does, it just isn't important given his goals.
>>
>>117999733
It was one of Rider's Noble Phantasms.
>>
Lol zerofags
>>
>>117999708
Yes.

As the OP of this thread, I feel that UBW feels dull and awkwardly paced.

It's not a bad show, but it's missing a lot of the strong points of the VN so far.
>>
>>117999763
Oh, I thought you meant that Saber felt jealous of Archer for having Rin as a master. Which wouldn't be out of line for her.
Thread posts: 240
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.