[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Crunchyroll Streaming Service Has 400,000 Paid Subscribers Listed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 3

File: CrunchyRoll-Logo.jpg (28KB, 496x547px) Image search: [Google]
CrunchyRoll-Logo.jpg
28KB, 496x547px
This kills the fansubs...
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2014-11-23/crunchyroll-streaming-service-has-400000-paid-subscribers-listed/.81360
>The online media service Crunchyroll has over 400,000 reported paid subscribers — doubling its total in about one and a half years. Crunchyroll previously announced that it had over 200,000 subscribers at Tokyo International Anime Fair in March 2013. It reported 100,000 subscribers in September 2012, and TV Tokyo reported that Crunchyroll had 70,000 subscribers in November 2011.

>The Anime! Anime! website estimates that Crunchyroll brings in 300 million yen a month (about US$2,780,000) in paid subscriptions, although this may vary depending on if a particular user also has Crunchyroll Manga and Drama subscriptions, or purchased a subscription on discount.
>>
>>117426448
How does it? I haven't spent a single pound on their service and many haven't done so either. As we all know that paying for crunchy roll doesn't support the anime studios at all.
>>
>>117426448
It's too early for fansubs die. Crunchyroll does not support the anime studios at all.

For a time I paid a few months, the service is not bad. I'm very lazy so it was good to watch the series in the PS3 app, but not more than that.

Even I knew that several fansubs were employed by CR
>>
>>117426544
Thinking that no money you give to Crunchyroll goes to the anime industry is as stupid as thinking all all money goes there.
>>
Fansubs aren't dead. Vivid and Commie are happy to give me weekly doses of epic memes.
>>
>>117426808
Except the majority of what you pay for goes to support their shitty servers and translations.
>>
>>117426933
The majority is not the same as everything. They wouldn't get licenses if the license holders got nothing in return.
Only a fraction of nearly anything you purchase goes to the original creator.
>>
>>117426448
>killing fansubs

More like injecting new life into it. All fansub groups just butcher and rework CR's subs anyway.
>>
hmmm, i don't see a problem with this. if crunchyroll subs everything and fansubs die, then everyone would win.

(or replace cr with another instant, streaming, on-demand service)
>>
I want to support the studios, but I do not wish to buy media from Japan that I don't understand, or figurines since I don't collect those. The only thing I buy are the OSTs. Japan needs to step it up of they want my money.
>>
>>117427770
yeah the era of piracy is over.
>>
I don't watch much anime, but what the fuck is wrong with their manga service?
They have series missing chapters, but they continue to translate the latest chapters like it's no big deal.
Kawai-sou is missing like 5 chapters, soremachi is missing a whole volume.
What the fuck?
>>
>>117426933
You think Japan asks for absolutely nothing for the streaming rights? Don't be daft. The more popular the service the more Japan can ask from the service. This is great news not only for Crunchy but for the Japanese companies.
>>
Crunchyroll is fine most of the time if you want fast subs.
Funi needs to die though.
>>
>>117427835
piracy? no, piracy will continue. see horriblesubs. fansubs will wither out. need more people translating manga, vns, lns, and even drama cds.
>>
Honestly, at this point I'm happy to see Crunchy doing well.

Commie has done more damage to fansubbing than CR ever did.
>>
>>117427770
>if crunchyroll subs everything and fansubs die, then everyone would win.

Except people who want non-shit video quality and actual typesetting wouldn't.
>>
Is it true support crunchy does nothing for the anime studios? ;_;
>>
>Japan is getting money from westerners for anime and I don't have to pay them for that to happen
s'fine with me
>>
Crunchyroll gets most of the season's anime, streams at a high quality, has episodes out very fast, and is very convenient overall.

So I subscribed.
>>
>>117427927
Why would you pay money for that when you can just download HS instead? Are you retarded?

>streams at high quality

Good joke.
>>
>>117427927
>streams at a high quality
Ignorance is bliss i guess. Have fun.
>>
>>117427937
>why buy when you can steal?
>>
>>117427910
Even if they paid said studios literally zero dollars (which isn't the case) they would still be supporting anime studios by giving them international exposure.
>>
>>117427960
Yes, exactly.
>>
>>117426448
All this money and they can't even sub the shows properly. I am still baffled at the fact that, historically, there have been many groups that did a much better job than CR ever has, and they all did it for free. Its not rocket science, there are people literally being paid to do what others do for free, for fun, and they can't even match their performance. Reason # 1 I'm not paying for CR shit.
>>
>>117427985
What groups that are still around?

And if you're going to say anyone under Commie then kill yourself immediately.
>>
>>117427969
>they would still be supporting anime studios by giving them international exposure.
So, fansubs support the industry?
>>
>>117427969
Man, I want to buy anime blurays but I am not going to buy shit that isn't subbed or something.
>>
>>117427948
>>117427937
>>117427872
>Basing your opinion on the free stream quality
>>
File: 1392583679421.png (2MB, 2560x720px) Image search: [Google]
1392583679421.png
2MB, 2560x720px
>>117428024
>>
>>117426448
Why would I want to support CR when I can just buyfag and more directly support the industry? And I sure as hell won't pay for a stream service, especially if I can watch it for free with a higher quality.
>>
>>117427910
They pay them licensing fees.
>>
>>117428024
What does that have to do with manga?
Are you retarded or just a really bad troll?
I'm betting on retarded.
>>
>>117428024
No, their 'HD' looks like fucking shit too. If you weren't a shiteater who supported those kikes, you would know that.
>>
>>117427937
Because downloading a stream seems like a waste, especially since one can use livestreamer + mpv to stream from Crunchyroll directly, complete with debanding filters, color profiles, font overrides, etc. No shitty flash involved anywhere.

I do download funi rips but that's because funi's web player blows.
>>
>>117428033
good thing i'm not anal about my chinese cartoons as some of these guys but damn you can't compare stream and download to save an autist's life
>>
>>117428012
They actually do.

Buyfag general is proof of that.
>>
u know if Crunchyoll would have more of older anime,
and at least every of the new released anime each season.
i would totally sub them.
like this season they dont even have fking Gundam Try
>>
>>117428036
CR is a solution for poorfags to support the industry. I don't think buyfags are the target demographic.
>>
>>117428093
Stop typing like an underage retard.
>>
>>117427985
Studios often impose a lot of limits on how their works can be translated, completely barring things like advanced typesetting and honorifics in some cases. Official subbers don't have the liberties that fansubbers do.
>>
>>117427887
So what's the problem? Anyone can download a horriblesubs release and fix the typesetting if they want to do so.
>>
>>117428110
>Anyone can download a horriblesubs release and spend hours typesetting signs and shit so that they themselves can watch it

Do you realize how little sense this makes?
>>
>>117428103
I want to be a buy fag. Money is not a problem for me, but there's nothing I can buy. I don't collect figurines, blurays from Japan don't have English subs.
>>
>>117428162
>blurays from Japan don't have English subs.
So what?
>>
>>117428008
I was going to say Eclipse since that is the only one that comes to mind at the moment, but I don't need to point out all the typos and spelling erros CR is known to make.

>>117428109
It's also stuff like the quality of the translation, as in, did they check the grammar.
>>
>>117428036

That's great! Keep doing it. Did you want a medal from /a/ though?
Realistically though, 400,000(more when you count streamfags like Kissanime) don't want to spend 500+ dollars(or equivalent) just to own a series. Otaku/buyfags are a niche audience and that's fine
>>
>>117428194
I want to be able to watch it anytime with subs in the bluray without ripping it?
>>
>>117428205
>a-am i fitting in yet?
Anime shitters like you are the worse.
>>
>>117428162
Then wrap your car with an image of your waifu. Show that love around town.
>>
>>117428215
>Eclipse

They died years ago.
>>
>>117428162
There is a ton of cute stuff to pick up. It just depends on how bad you want it and making sure you don't bandwagon.
>>
Report and ignore.
>>
>>117428237
No, redditors like you are the worst.
>>
>>117428215
>It's also stuff like the quality of the translation, as in, did they check the grammar.
That depends solely on the individuals contracted by CR. CR doesn't have any translators as employees, it's all contract work.
>>
>>117428244
Yeah, sadly, but they did it for free and they were good. That's my point.
>>
>There are people in this thread actually defending crunchyroll

And they said /a/ wouldn't die. What a joke.
>>
>>117428262
Interesting. I didn't know that. They should still have a guy on payroll who QCs the stuff. Its not hard to watch a show once or twice to catch any grammar or spelling errors, especially if you are being paid for it.
>>
>>117428083
Fuck off, casual.
>>
Using a Crunchyroll subscription to "support" the japanese anime industry is like mailing a few pennies every year to Japan (every month if you want to be super generous about what Crunchyroll pays). You pay more in "postage" than actual money sent.
Buying 1 BD from a series you like (not the localized BDs, the ones offered by the japanese publishers) will inject more money into the japanese anime industry than years of Crunchyroll subcription will.

The manga subscriptions are different due to the lower costs but buying the physical japanese copy will still give more money to the authors than the subscription will.
>>
>>117428229
I buyfag because I like it. Not because some anonymous faggots tell me too. And I guess people use their money for their own things. I have yet to spend that kind of money on a series because I haven't enjoyed something that much.
>>
>>117428243
I want to support the studio and give them money. Pretty sure waifuing doesn't do that. Pretty sure the hospital I work for will kick me out for that too.
>>
File: 005.jpg (348KB, 1114x1600px) Image search: [Google]
005.jpg
348KB, 1114x1600px
>>117428293
>They should still have a guy on payroll who QCs the stuff.
>Its not hard to watch a show once or twice to catch any grammar or spelling errors, especially if you are being paid for it.
They don't do it for a manga chapter that would take maybe 5 minutes to read twice, do you really think they'd do it for a 20m anime episode?
>>
>>117428249
I buy anime that gets licensed in America. That's about all I can so.
>>
>>117428311
I wouldn't mind buying a few BDs, but I'm at a stage in my life where I need to keep my possessions few in number so moving won't be a pain in the rear. For the time being the only thing I can do to contribute to the anime industry at all is to drop a few bucks on crunchyroll. Buyfagging will come once I'm more settled down.
>>
>>117428267
What part of "That's still around" do you not understand?

Yeah CR is perfect, neither were fansubs during the golden days, but right now they're literally the only thing keeping us from a Commie monopoly.
>>
>>117428311
No one is going to argue that buying overpriced japanese BDs doesn't support their local industry more than being subscribed to CR.

Being subscribed to CR you are still supporting the anime industry as a whole more than not paying for anything though.
>>
>>117427499
You're describing literally every creator in every industry. Anime is not an exception.
>>
>>117428371
>to drop a few bucks on crunchyroll.

May as well kill yourself at this point, newfag..
>>
>>117428293
Fucking this. They have $2 million a month, they can afford QC.
>>
>>117428365
To each their own. That is better than most who consider anime a hobby or whatever.
>>
>>117428288
When the choice is between CR/HS and Commie, I know what I'm picking.
>>
>>117428162
>blurays from Japan don't have English subs
A few Sunrise shows do.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%90%E3%83%87%E3%82%A3%E3%83%BB%E3%82%B3%E3%83%B3%E3%83%97%E3%83%AC%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF%E3%82%B9-1-%E9%99%90%E5%AE%9A%E7%89%88-Blu-ray-%E6%9D%BE%E5%B2%A1%E7%A6%8E%E4%B8%9E/dp/B00HCVV5HW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1416900650&sr=8-3&keywords=buddy+complex
>*This Blu-ray Disc is region free and includes English Subtitles.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E6%A9%9F%E5%8B%95%E6%88%A6%E5%A3%AB%E3%82%AC%E3%83%B3%E3%83%80%E3%83%A0UC-MOBILE-GUNDAM-%E5%88%9D%E5%9B%9E%E9%99%90%E5%AE%9A%E7%89%88-Blu-ray/dp/B00GM9EC1G/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1416900783&sr=8-8&keywords=gundam
>*Subtitles: Japanese, English, French, Spanish, Chinese (Mandarin & Cantonese)
This may start becoming a trend if Japan realises they're making money from dirty gaijin and can sell their BD's to them too.

Not to mention there's a fuckton of merch that isn't figs. There's keychains, body pillows, trading cards, coffee mugs, attire, etc.
>>
>>117428311
don't give a shit about "supporting the industry". i buy consumable goods at the price i'm willing to pay.

BDs from japan = unfinished (untranslated) product at a price higher than i am willing ot buy

CR = translated product that i am willing to purchase

fucking business 101. unless CR is doing something unethical, i don't care how few "pennies per year" it contributes to the "anime industry"
>>
>>117428461
Get out.
>>
>>117428451
Yeah, I buy those that I know have subs. Not a fan of gundam though. I also bought merchadise from Japan like calendars and other stupid shit. I really want to buy them blurays with subs though.
>>
>>117428461
Well, CR doesn't exactly come from an ethical background. They got off the ground by stealing fansubs and charging people for them.
>>
>>117428336
Yeah, that sucks. Well, if the physical stuff doesn't attract you, just buy any game tie-ins.

>>117428362
Well, they should, they don't but they should.

>>117428400
I can't argue with that too much, but I think CR helped put us in this position. When watching subbed anime was as easy as grabbing it from HS, the fansub niche just got smaller.
>>
Reported for advertising.
>>
>tfw leeching off friend who buys annual crunchyroll subscriptions every Black Friday who allows me to use his account whenever

shit's useful on my phone nothing more don't even have to pay
>>
>>117428461
Then fuck off back to your crunchyroll forum you dumb nigger.
>>
>>117428293
If the translator is incompetent, as they occasionally are and there's nothing CR can do about it, it doesn't matter how good the editor is.
>>
>>117428499
Maybe someday Japan will wise up. I'm glad I still can buy Spice and Wolf LNs in a language I can read.
>>
>>117428451
>This may start becoming a trend if Japan realises they're making money from dirty gaijin and can sell their BD's to them too.
I cant't see this ever becoming a trend. The japanese prices are so far from what casual anime fans in north america and europe are used to paying for their entertainment.
>>
>>117428461
>buying a product inferior to free stuff (downloading, even HorribleSubs)
Are you retarded?
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.