[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is "pretentious" the most misused word on this forum?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 16

File: 1412345173035.jpg (721KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1412345173035.jpg
721KB, 1600x1200px
Is "pretentious" the most misused word on this forum? Literally any anime that with any thematic value or more unique plot line or even artstyle, for some reason, is labeled as pretentious.

Everyone tells recfags to use google to search for shows, how about using the same search engine and write in "X synopsis" or "What did the ending of X mean" if it's so fuckin hard to use your head for more than twelve seconds.
>>
This thread is pretentious.
>>
File: %E0%B8%B0[1].gif (1MB, 600x340px) Image search: [Google]
%E0%B8%B0[1].gif
1MB, 600x340px
>Literally

Stopped reading right there. You are being the definition of pretentious right now by trying to act more cultured than you actually are.
>>
>>117401376
>>117401489
Literally is the most misused I think.
>>
If you aren't even trying nobody can say that you failed.
>>
File: ayano6.jpg (342KB, 1272x1192px) Image search: [Google]
ayano6.jpg
342KB, 1272x1192px
>>117401376
What the fuck is "thematic value"?
>>
This place is an intellectual vacuum and sees the primary use of chinese comics and cartoons in helping them jerk off. More news at 8.
>>
dude i understand what you're saying
but this is the wrong place for that
these guys don't give a shit
you'd have a better time with reddit with this sort of thing
>>
>>117401376
It might well be. Using the word to describe any show with even the slightest attempt at depth or uniqueness is bad enough. As a reminder to all, such an attempt is not not pretentious, no matter how failed or silly or misguided it is: pretentiousness means trying to appear deeper and more mature than the work actually is, not trying and failing to actually be deep, mature or whatever. Worse than that, I have seen people use the term about shows that don't, well, have pretense of being anything else than they are. Shows that are just supposed to be fun and nothing more and don't try to pretend to be anything more. The term is ridiculously misused.

>>117401489
But if he used literally literally, there is nothing pretentious about it. I also don't see how OP is trying to act cultured at all.
>>
>>117401567
Literally can literally be used for emphasis.
>>
>>117401611
Value of themes.
>>
File: 29.png (372KB, 848x480px) Image search: [Google]
29.png
372KB, 848x480px
>>117401376
I don't know if you noticed, but this is an imageboard, not a forum
>>
>misused
>unique plotline
No it's not misused, it's because dumbfucks like you who think every shit that trying to look cool and smart actually smart when it's just a
bunch of dumbfucks who think messy shit based on symbolism and implications is a good storytelling, because they have to feel superior.
>look at me i'm such a smart person, those plebeians can't aprecciate deep message hidden between words
You ain't smart person, you are worse then pathetic loser, who think that he's so better than everyone else, when he's no different at all.
Piss off.
>>
>>117401855
>>117401816
Literally is supposed to be used without any exaggeration, as it literally means exactly. If you are using literally when classifying everything, you're using it wrong.
>>
>>117402019
Emphasis doesn't have to be exaggeration.
>>
>>117402019
language changes, look at a newer dictionary.
>>
>>117401877
How do you quantify theme value? How do you measure it? Does Gankutsuou have more theme value than K-on for example? I'm confused.
>>
>>117402005
>You ain't smart person
You ain't neither
>>
>>117402005
>No it's not misused, it's because dumbfucks like you who think every shit that trying to look cool and smart actually smart when it's just a
bunch of dumbfucks who think messy shit based on symbolism and implications is a good storytelling, because they have to feel superior.
You uctually think this is true? So basically there are no smart people in the world? Every person thought to be smart was trying to make an impression?
>>
File: hinata 3.jpg (94KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
hinata 3.jpg
94KB, 1280x720px
>>117401376
What are you talking about OP? /a/ loves yama no susume and it is full of more unique plot lines.
>>
>>117402019
>Literally is supposed to be used without any exaggeration
Yes, and? If OP meant that someone labels literally every show with "any anime that with any thematic value or more unique plot line or even artstyle" as pretentious, he's hardly wrong or exaggerating. The term genuinely is that over- and misused.
>>
File: kaiba.jpg (39KB, 400x575px) Image search: [Google]
kaiba.jpg
39KB, 400x575px
I've never seen anyone call Kaiba pretentious

To be fair though I've only seen maybe 2 dozen Kaiba threads over the years and they were filled with near unanimous praise of the series, barring the ending
>>
>>117401816
>pretentiousness means trying to appear deeper and more mature than the work actually is

Care to provide examples of such shows?
>>
File: 1360946883240.png (2MB, 1218x841px) Image search: [Google]
1360946883240.png
2MB, 1218x841px
>>117401376
Pretentious anime thread?
>>
>>117403021
That's the case because the show isn't too popular. If it was seen by the same amount and same type of people as eva then it would probably be labeled as pretentious by many as well. That's why not as many people call haibane, utena or lain pretentious either.
>>
>>117403080
Sure, works like that would be fate/zero, psycho-pass and most of all kara no kyokai.

To a lesser degree Kino's Jouney and Texhnolyze, I still love those shows.
>>
You're all wrong. The most misused word on this board is "autistic".
>>
>>117403280
>kara no kyokai

That epilogue .. I had to watch that in two sittings. Jesus, talk about being up your own ass.
>>
>>117403429
>talk about being up your own ass
That's like all the dialogues in knk.
>>
>>117403280
I'd also say that it is fair to call Evangelion pretentious, with the use of Christian symbolism and such giving an impression of depth and intellect without actually adding much substance.
>>
>>117403626
I'd have to agree. Why call it christian symbolism? They just used christian mythology for their creatures and tied it into the narrative in a nice way. It's like calling Tolkien pretentious because he used "nordic symbolism" with all the elves, dwarves, trolls and some scandinavian inspired names.
>>
>>117403280
>Kino's Jouney and Texhnolyze
Explain? I don't see how Kino is pretentious and I'm only 6 episodes into Texhnolyze.
>>117403626
I agree.
>>
File: 1391013513689.jpg (46KB, 440x320px) Image search: [Google]
1391013513689.jpg
46KB, 440x320px
>>117403626

No, given how there's no emphasis on that imagery and it's stated by the director it was there to just look cool? Other forms of symbolism, dialogue, and whatnot are what gives Eva substance.
>>
>>117403795
*disagree
>>
>>117403795
Maybe Christian symbolism isn't quite the right term. It was just the first term that came to mind.
>>
>>117402062
I saw this the order day, it is stupid. The improper use is covered by the definition now. So you can just say it and literally no one will know if you're serious or not.
>>
>>117402063
Theme value: The absolute amount of themes, emitted by an anime into a unit volume at any given time. It's dimension is [m^{3}*s^{-1}]
>>
>>117404009
thats what makes it funny
>>
>>117403021
I always see that on recommendation charts too, you'd expect more people to be talking about it just because of that
>>
>>117403796
>Kino's Journey
It provides a rather cynnical and critical view of humanity with not really offering anything in return. Some stories oversimplify certain complex problems clearly just to prove certain point of view the author shares. Also, creating such profound stories carrying statements about the evil humans do and the end just blaming it on "human nature" is a bit lazy and unimaginative imo.
>Texhnolyze
Well, most of the show isn't nearly as cryptic and as the first ep. Sure it's weird, has little dialogue and sometimes you don't know what's going on but the first ep just makes you think it's to a much larger extent than it really ends up being. I'd also say something about the second half, but that would require spoilers.
>>
>>117403873
So what did you mean?
>>
>>117403348
>Autistic
>Not edgy

Every single character with a dark color scheme. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.
>>
>>117401567

How ironic.
>>
>>117401376
It's one of them. And it's typically used by people who don't know what it means. But then again you should probably come to expect that here on /a/. Most users here like to paint themselves as "elitist" but those same people are practically incapable of holding any semblance of a meaningful or intellectual conversation. Don't come here expecting good conversation.

Also
>Literally
>>
>>117404009
clever, anon
>>
>>117402063
>Implying values must be quantifiable or measured.
>Implying they can't be qualitative.
No.
>>
>>117401376
Anime is pretentious though.
>>
Eva isn't actually pretentious since it wasn't made to be intelligent in the first place (it just ended up the way it did due to reasons).

series like Kino, Lain, Kaiba, Utena, FLCL, Psycho Pass are actually telling what they want to tell.

Saying series like HxH, One Piece, and TTGL are pretentious is like saying the Pokemon anime is, these are all simple messages you shouldn't have trouble with them.

Ergo Proxy is pretentious though
>>
>>117406138
>reasons
budget*
>>
>>117406072
So you are saying that thematic value is some kind of two level quantum mechanical system in which the anime can either be in the state thematically valuable or not thematically valuable?
>>
>>117406138
>Ergo Proxy is pretentious though
Still a 9/10.
>>
File: no no no no no.png (25KB, 476x165px) Image search: [Google]
no no no no no.png
25KB, 476x165px
>>117406364
Maybe if you are measuring in video game review scores.
>>
>>117406286
and depression
>>
>>117406532
What do you consider a 9?
>>
>>117403280
>kara no kyokai
Oh no you didn't. Calling something you don't understand pretentious as a way to preserve your ego is understandable, but it's still a shitty thing to do.
I'll make the same offer I make whenever anyone misuses that word: I'll explain in detail the meaning of an element of the story you consider pretentious (i.e. without an actual meaning, tries to sound profound without actually being profound).

>>117403472
I actually explained the significance of the epilogue and 「」 in general in a thread a few weeks ago.
https://archive.moe/a/thread/116928230/#116938763
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
What did it mean?
>>
>>117407119
Sorry dude, it's not that knk is higher to understand it's just pretentious. The message and general feems aren't anything marvelous but the way the red girl expresses them just makes them sound like the author thought he actually reached the akashic records himelf. Also, lots of the dialogues is just the exposition of thoughts and philosophy that doesn't end up relating to the plot itself. I mean even if you didn't understand anything redhead girl said you'd still get what happened.
>>
>>117407682
>higher
*harder
>feemes
*themes

I'm going to bed.
>>
>>117407751
You're moe anon.
>>
>>117407682
You really don't understand what that word means.
>pretentious: attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.
If a work has consistent thematic meaning and every element of the story contributes to that thematic meaning, by definition it is not pretentious. You're using pretentious in the /a/ buzzword way as something you yell at writing you dislike or don't understand. If you dislike the writing style, then say you dislike the writing style because it's overly convoluted or smug or whatever your particular beef with it is. Using an inaccurate umbrella term only hurts your position.
>The message and general feems aren't anything marvelous
That's a matter of opinion. I'd say it's pretty damn profound.
>Also, lots of the dialogues is just the exposition of thoughts and philosophy that doesn't end up relating to the plot itself.
>I mean even if you didn't understand anything redhead girl said you'd still get what happened.
Objectively incorrect. "Getting what happened" in the sense of understanding the top level of the plot isn't the point, especially in a story that is almost entirely allegorical. Again, name an element of the philosophy dialog that you say has no relation to the plot of the thematic message of the story and I'll explain the connection.
>>
>>117407907
:s/plot of the thematic message/plot or the thematic message
>>
>>117407907
You really got the nasu-illness.
Using way too many words without saying anything of value
>>
>>117408004
That's not a rebuttal, friend. Unless you want to specifically criticize elements of either my argument or the stories you dislike so much, you're the one saying nothing of value. Unsupported blanket assertions do nothing for you.

Again, give me a specific example of the story (dialog, symbolism, concept) that you think doesn't have a deeper meaning or doesn't contribute to the thematic elements of the story. If you keep just making vague "you're wrong because I say you're wrong" assertions, it gets painfully obvious that you're in full damage control mode.
>>
>>117406333
You're not nearly as clever as you think you are.
>>
>>117409230
Why did Schrodinger cross the road?
Because he crossed the road.

Why did Heisenberg cross the road?
Because the road crossed him.
>>
>>117407907
Well in the first film, the topic Kouko covers:
- people don't die until they're forgotten
- looking from a high place gives you a sense of distance
- dolls lack souls
>>
>>117410207
>- people don't die until they're forgotten
The primary relevance of this point has to do with the main theme of the movies: dealing with grief and bereavement. In the context of Shiki, the cause of that grief was the death of SHIKI. The idea that people don't die until they're forgotten countermands the fatalistic perspective of Araya (talked about more in >>117407119) and reenforces the positive perspective of Shiki. In essence, death is not the absolute unredeemable tragedy that Araya seeks to avoid. Instead, Shiki's grief is mitigated by the memory of SHIKI as expressed in her behavior following his death. Living and existing with Kokutou is her way of remembering SHIKI's life and sacrifice. It's the embodiment of the approach to dealing with grief that the films ultimately affirm.

>- looking from a high place gives you a sense of distance
Kirie is analogous to SHIKI in a lot of ways. In the literal context of the film, this overlooking view is a perspective on death gained through proximity to it. Essentially, when one sees death as the only way out, the consequences of that suicide come into focus. This ties in directly with the fortune-teller's conversation with SHIKI at the end of Mirai Fukuin.

(more)
>>
>>117410663
>>117410207
>- dolls lack souls
Foreshadows and sets up the primary philosophical confrontation between Araya and Shiki. To Araya, humans are no more than dolls (literally, in the case of the Ogawa Complex) to be used in his search for the inhuman imperfection that is the power of the Root. This fits with his perspective on death and human suffering: it's ultimately meaningless and in a perfect world would be avoided. Shiki's perspective disagrees and says that humans aren't animate dolls whose suffering and grief can be discounted, as suffering and grief are defining traits of humanity. Essentially, the statement that dolls lack souls illustrates the differences in position between Shiki and Araya by establishing a contrast between soulless dolls and soul-possessing humans; i.e. if humans did not have souls, stating that dolls do not have souls would be meaningless and without reason.
>>
>>117401376
>forum

Fuck off.
>>
>forum
>>
File: 1416636025705.png (712KB, 1187x739px) Image search: [Google]
1416636025705.png
712KB, 1187x739px
>>117401376
>Is "pretentious" the most misused word on this forum?

No, it's not. If you want to know the ACTUAL most misused / regurgitated word(s) on /a/, not counting words specific to anime of course - they're,

1.) New
2.) Shit
3.) Stop
4.) faggot >= fucking >= fags
5.) Taste
6.) OP
7.) x/y-tards
8.) >
9.) Boku no Pico
10.) /a/

In a non literal way, they are as follows

1.) Moe
2.) X/Y-Shit
3.) Literally
4.) Forced
5.) Go
6.) >>>/X/Y/ (meaning >>>/v/ or >>>/MAL/)
7.) Stopped
8.) Read/Reading
9.) ITT
10.) Secondaries
>>
>>117411368
This is pretty accurate.
>>
>autism
>edgy
>hipster
>pretentious
>fedora
>>
>>117411368
how about "edgy"
>>
>>117402005
>Not knowing how to inline properly.
>Not knowing how to Greentext properly.

What are you doing nigger??

>" dumbfucks like you who think every shit that trying to look cool and smart actually smart when it's just a bunch of dumbfucks who think "

Good job, faggot. You look more stupid than anyone ITT ever will. Even the point you were trying to make is usurped by your blatant retardation.

>>117402187
And you, you're just as guilty as him for even replying to that obvious bait. Fucking stop.
>>
File: 1414199971905.gif (147KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1414199971905.gif
147KB, 320x240px
>>117411368
>actually making a list
>>
>>117411368
But 'secondaries' only became overused this summer/shortly after summer so I don't think it qualifies for the top 10.
>>
>>117407682
Anon, your sentence is so full of tripe, bullshit, grammatical errors, and simple, easy to spot fallacies that I'm not even sure a single person in this thread takes a single fucking thing you said seriously. I know I don't.
Wanna try re-typing all of that in non-autistic mode, so that we may better understand the blessings that are your interpretations of the so called Garden of sinners edgy, pretentious messages?

Pro-tip: It's not as edgy as you think, anon
>>
File: 1413517586872.jpg (13KB, 228x238px) Image search: [Google]
1413517586872.jpg
13KB, 228x238px
>>117407940
What the fuck?
>>
>>117411492
Replace 5.) or 8.) with edgy, or the non literal list's 1.) and 4.) with edgy and you pretty much have the same intentional effect. The point is, is that this entire board is full of absurd amounts of pseudo criticism and shallow, almost embarrassingly pathetic behavior stemming from repeated use of specific words that drives home very specific ideals into the minds of newshits who see these things, and then regurgitate them thinking that, that's what they're supposed to do - without actually knowing WHY this or that word is being used, or WHY this or that word SHOULDN'T be used.

Everyone needs to fucking remember something, the list is specific to posters, not buzzwords.
>>
>>117411368
I'll revise the list with buzzwords accounted for

>1.) Autist / Autistic
>2.) Shitposting
>3.) Stop
>4.) Bait
>5.) Kek
>6.) Faggot
>7.) Dropped
>8.) /a/
>9.) Boku no Pico
>10.) Read the
>In a non literal way, they are as follows
>1.) Moeshit / Shonenshit / Yaoishit / Yurishit / Moefags / Shonenfags / Yaoifags / Yurifags
>2.) Shit Taste
>3.) New
>4.) Fanbase
>5.) Edgy
>6.) Pandering
>7.) ITT
>8.) Who
>9.) Feels
>10.) Any japanese word I;E nippon / moonrunes / moonspeak / seppeku / NEET / grorious nippon / baka
>>
File: 1416621152469.png (580KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1416621152469.png
580KB, 1280x720px
>>117412835
100% accurate, holy shit.
>>
>>117412835
This list is a perfect example as to why this board will never improve. Ever.
>>
>>117401376
No, "edgy" is the most misused. Anything mildly dark is labeled as edgy.
>>
File: toast-1.jpg (38KB, 467x398px) Image search: [Google]
toast-1.jpg
38KB, 467x398px
>>117401376
>expecting good anime discussion on /a/
That's where you messed up
>>
>>117412835
What is
>8.) Who
>>
>>117412835
Stop is a buzzword?
>>
Edgy is more misused in general.
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.