[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>investing in a dying industry There's always been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

File: c.jpg (98KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
c.jpg
98KB, 1280x720px
>investing in a dying industry

There's always been talk on /a/ about buyfagging and supporting the industry with your money, but has anyone ever bought stock in a publicly traded anime-related company?

News of the recent Bank of Japan stimulus gave me the sudden autistic urge to look up stocks for anime. I'd rather discuss this on /a/ though because /biz/ is perpetually flooded with shit threads and they don't care about anime.

Findings so far:
NASDAQ: CMCSA – Comcast (NBCUniversal Entertainment Japan/Geneon)
TYO: 6758 [NYSE: SNE] – Sony (Aniplex)
TYO: 7832 – Bandai Namco (Sunrise)
TYO: 4816 – Toei Animation
TYO: 3791 – I.G. Port (Production I.G., Xebec)
TYO: 9404 – Nippon TV (Madhouse, Tatsunoko Production)
TYO: 4676 – Fuji TV (David Production)
TYO: 9409 – TV Asahi (Shin-Ei Animation)
TYO: 6460 – Sega Sammy (TMS Entertainment)
TYO: 6417 – Sankyo (Satelight)
TYO: 2706 – Broccoli
TYO: 9477 – Kadokawa
TYO: 9602 – Toho
TYO: 2652 – Mandarake
TYO: 4324 – Dentsu

Obviously anime is an incredibly negligible part of big companies like Comcast and Sony. Toei Animation (there's a separate listing for the larger Toei Company's business in movie theater, film distribution, etc.) and I.G. Port seems like the only listings I've found so far that allow you to invest purely in anime.

It's sad to realize how truly little money there is in anime, though. Check out a financial statement from Sankyo, the owner of Satelight:
>Sales of other businesses were ¥1.1 billion, a decrease of 26.2% year on year. An
operating loss of ¥600 million was recorded compared with operating loss of ¥400 million for the previous year.
http://www.sankyo-fever.co.jp/ir/pdf/fs20140508.pdf

Satelight is such an unimportant piece of the 0.7% revenue that "sales of other businesses" represents for Sanyko that I don't think it even gets mentioned in the annual report that's somewhere else on the site.
>>
Daily reminder that anime has always been niche entertainment.
>>
So what are we supposed to discuss in this thread?
>>
How much of a living industry was it ever in the first place?
>>
>>116401894
Just curious since there's tons of discussion about buying merchandise and BDs, but even Google doesn't seem to turn up much about this stuff.
>>
Yet they still crank the shit out.....
I do not see a problem
>>
I'll give it a shot. I have a good few thousand in my portfolio that I have been wondering what to do with.
>>
File: 1413798382807.jpg (66KB, 400x398px) Image search: [Google]
1413798382807.jpg
66KB, 400x398px
The stimulus is priced into the market now, most stocks are up 10% you are a little late to the part. The stimulus program has been going on for a while now they only increased the monthly amount. Then again as long as stimulus is active and the global economy remains in decent shape, Japan has no where but up.
>>
>>116402052
Well, the party got started all the way back in 2012 when Abe got elected.

I seriously wonder about the kind of people who put money in I.G. Port though. Affluent otaku businessmen?
>>
I've been saying since forever that anime is just advertisement for other things. Anime can die, but it's okay as long as manga and other things related are still intact. It will just be harder to get your product out without competing for ad space.
>>
Honestly, what would happen if the anime industry collapsed?

I have never seen any thread about the manga industry having problems, and let's be honest here, that's the more important part of the two.

In a best case scenario, the collapse of the anime industry could lead to an adjustment away from otaku-pandering stuff and into more interesting things instead. In a worse scenario you lose the otaku-pandering stuff, which is replaced by boring lowest-common-denominator stuff meant for mainstream. In the worst case scenario, every series is replaced by super interesting harem anime fellating the limp cock of an ever more pathetic subculture.
>>
>>116402277
manga industry wouldn't change too much
it is profitable on it's own as manga production is basically slave work and cheap reprints
>>
OP why are you so fucking dumb

>>116402277
Why are you even more dumb
>>
If it dies, it dies. If it doesn't, it doesn't. We're just free riding this shit anyway.
>>
>>116402277
>In a best case scenario, the collapse of the anime industry could lead to an adjustment away from otaku-pandering stuff and into more interesting things instead.

The fact is that otaku are the ones buying the shit catered to them. There is no market for this 'more interesting stuff'. Normal people don't want to watch cartoons.
>>
>>116402532
normal people DO read manga though
>>
>>116402588
We're talking about anime not manga.
>>
>>116402608
that post is pretty obviously about manga after the death of anime
>>
>>116402647
not really
>>
Kyoani for guaranteed gains
>>
>>116402675
kyoani is still profitable because everything is inhouse right?
>>
>>116402647
Oh yeah sorry I missed the word in the post.
>>
>>116402675
Always bet on Shaft.
>>
>>116402036
The problem is that they might not crank out shit anymore
>>
>>116401830
>There's always been talk on /a/ about buyfagging and supporting the industry with your money
Must be bizzaro /a/.

Also >implying us NEET have the money to invest
>>
>>116403134
I just by the dvds
>>
>>116403194
Why would you buy DVDs when you already have it on your HDD. Seems like a waste of money to me.
>>
>>116403235
Nigga, I don't torrent. I either buy the dvds or go to legal paysites.
>>
>>116403134
>I've never seen a buyfag thread in my life
Did you just stumble here today or something?

Not everyone here is NEET either
>>
>WW.TF

heh
>>
The anime industry has always been so small that it almost couldn't be called an industry. This isn't new at all.
>>
>>116403306
You don't belong in here then.

>>116403335
I've been here way before these sorts of threads and never set foot into them. You shouldn't extrapolate from a singular thread that is probably browsed by the same few people all the time to the rest of /a/. They're rather unlikely to be representative of what /a/ is like because it's obviously mostly browsed by borderline normalfags.
>>
>>116403429
>You don't belong in here then.
Well I'm here and I'm not going anywhere.
>>
>>116403429
Both buyfag and sales threads have been here for years, though

Sure, no one's brought up buying >anime stock, but there hasn't been an airing show that brought it up until now either
>>
File: a_mods_streaming.jpg (205KB, 1522x830px) Image search: [Google]
a_mods_streaming.jpg
205KB, 1522x830px
>>116403462
We'll see about that.
>>
>>116403598
>Both buyfag and sales threads have been here for years, though
And I've been here for almost a decade.
>>
>>116403636
You clearly are not very observant.
>>
File: 1314306514526.jpg (23KB, 391x325px) Image search: [Google]
1314306514526.jpg
23KB, 391x325px
>>116403429
>They're rather unlikely to be representative of what /a/ is like because it's obviously mostly browsed by borderline normalfags.
There are so many hilarious assumptions about so many things in this statement.
>>
>>116403603
I know the rules
>>
>>116403636
The only way to be here for a decade and never seeing a buyfag thread is selective ignorance or whatever it's called. Not only that, but you also have to be THE master of selective ignorance. Do you really hate spending your money so much that you subconsciously filter out buyfag threads?
>>
>>116403680
I think it's more that you're not very observant because you're clearly a subhuman retard who is unable to read attentively, for otherwise you wouldn't have reached the assumption that I've never seen a buyfag thread from having been told that I've never set foot into one.

I already told you: buyfag threads are a phenomenon of the recent years, it's nothing that has been around forever. Also, they're a closed biosphere; as it is common with recurring general threads (that are unwelcome for a very good reason), they're likely browsed by the same people, and they're hardly representative of /a/ as a whole.

>>116403686
>>116403721
Refer to what I wrote above.
>>
File: 1328205220177.jpg (27KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
1328205220177.jpg
27KB, 450x300px
>>116401830
The only one out of those that I can give to is probably Sony / A1, but they're tumbling down anyway so I don't know where to give my fuck to
>>
>>116403800
You haven't addressed anything
>I have never read one of these threads but I know exactly who and what is in them
>there are no normalfags on /a/
>obviously normalfags buy anime despite the fact US disk sales of anime are pathetically small and no fucking normalfag will pay several thousand yen for a single Japanese BD
Really what fucking dream world are you living in?

At some point those threads had a problem with offboard shitters (who don't buy DVDs by the way) but their numbers were minimal in the grand scheme of things and compared to the general amount of normalfag shitposting on /a/ currently.

The prevalence of those threads on /a/ in the last couple years comes from one of /jp/'s regular threads killing itself for fuck's sake.
>>
>>116401830
>supporting the industry with your money
nips hate you and don't want money from Gaijins even if that means Anime will die off.
>>
So what's selling?
>>
>>116404087
nothing

everyone's dead now
>>
>>116404042
>I have never read one of these threads but I know exactly who and what is in them
It's a thread about people blogging about what they've bought, that's more than I need to know.

>there are no normalfags on /a/
Not nearly as many as on other boards and they're still met with a healthy degree of hostility if they give themselves away.

>obviously normalfags buy anime despite the fact US disk sales of anime are pathetically small and no fucking normalfag will pay several thousand yen for a single Japanese BD
Yes, normalfags do so.
>>
Cheatcode for easy shekels:
>put episodes up on steam with achievements
>????
>profit
>>
>>116404548
>>/v/
>>
>>116404201
I just want you to know that you're not getting any replies because there is literally no argument that can be used against outright denial of reality.

Normalfags are the primary participants of compensationless anime and manga piracy, if they weren't there would be no industry movement over it because nobody gives a shit if some foreign NEETs pirate a show that will never get licensed outside Japan.
>>
Personally, I think if you want to support the industry with your money and actually buy shit, you should go to /jp/ and stay there forever.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.