[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Click for more| Home]

Why is manga so superior to shitty western comics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 23

File: image.png (381KB, 891x1300px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.png
381KB, 891x1300px
Why is manga so superior to shitty western comics?
>>
It's the community. Capefags are like 100x worse than waifufags.
>>
>>110415642
I work in a comic book store, and that's simply not true. The anime geeks that come in wearing weird shit and get all fussy when you don't have something no sane physical store would carry are some of the worst people I have to deal with, ahead of Mexican families, but behind movie bandwagoners and people who don't research things they want.
>>
>>110415393
Because Japan's populace has a voracious appetite for comics, leading to enormous volumes of content covering every imaginable demographic, genre, and niche.

American comics are more like anime, in that they are targeted primarily at a small core audience of obsessive geeks with relatively narrow interests.

The Comics Code Authority frequently gets blamed for killing American comics, but I think there'd be a difference in markets even if it had never existed. Written Japanese is notoriously difficult to read, even for native speakers, which I suspect makes it harder for literature to take over print comics' niche.
>>
>>110415861
Those aren't waifufags. Those are weeaboos.
>>
>>110416138
I have actually heard the term waifu with my own ears while working there, it was awful.
>>
>>110415393
comics are just as good as manga, you just need to look at the passion projects and books that aren't published by the big 5. Fantagraphs, first second etc
>>
>>110416778
Fantagraphics is mostly reprints, and First Second publishes stuff that manages to make awesome shit seem super boring. Also, I don't think I've ever seen a book from them with consistent, attractive art.
>>
Because no tumblr.
>>
File: 1341314629131.png (178KB, 1190x906px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1341314629131.png
178KB, 1190x906px
>>110417046
>livejournal 2.0
>not all over anime
>>
>>110416995
Battling Boy?
>>
File: 1356898332515.png (209KB, 600x500px)
1356898332515.png
209KB, 600x500px
>>110417242
>paul pope
Seriously though, read a biography about Ernest Shackleton. The story of his failed Antarctic expedition was so manly and awesome that your chest hair gets thicker by knowing about it, yet the Shackleton graphic novel will put you to sleep. It's uncanny.
>>
they end usually
capshit that takes about 90% of western media never end
>>
>>110417553
>not liking Paul Pope
How can you live with yourself?
>>
>>110417821
Comfortably.
>>
>>110418043
I guess it's good you've come to terms with your shit taste.
>>
File: image.jpg (418KB, 890x1300px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
418KB, 890x1300px
>>110415393
Creators control their works.
Single artists.
They generally don't last forever.
The action is superior because of they are less condensed.
The stories are superior because they are less condensed.
There are more companies making Bangalore so more chances for good shit,
>>
>>110418246

manga free markets banzai!
>>
Why are western books so superior to shitty Japanese books?

There are some good comic books, but you're only judging the medium by the popular ones.

There are also some good Japanese books, but the popular ones in Japan are shitty LNs.
>>
>>110418246
>Bangalore
Manga, fucking autocorrect.
>>
>>110418246
>They generally don't last forever
Lol
>>
Faggots are preaching to the choir.

Pointless thread.
>>
>>110418384
The popular books dominate the entire market in the us and the less popular ones are difficult to even buy.
>>
>>110416138
Waifufags are worse than weeaboos.
>>
>>110418246
Can you explain what you mean by less condensed for both action and stories?
>>
>>110418498
Read them online or download them.

But there are a lot of good ones.

I still stand by my point because the top books on Japan are poorly written LNs and rarely some good books.
>>
>>110415642
>Capefags
What's that?
>>
>>110418535
It is impossible to be worse than a weeaboo. They're the bottom of the scale.
>>
inb4 OP makes the same thread in /co/, with the order switched around
>>
Comics are less aesthetic than manga, probably.
>>
>>110418739
I'd say waifufags are worse.

A lot of people in this board watched an anime only because they thought that a character design looked cute.

That's the highest level of autism
>>
>>110418614
I read US comics like many people here.

Since they are so hard to even buy their isn't a market for the niche and few decent ones are made comparatively. Not only that but they frequently just stop in the middle or are super short. (I'm looking at you Fell)
I can find dozens of new manga within minutes but their simply isn't that kind of output in the western comics industry.
>>
>>110417168
Yes but they have absolutely no effect where as the western industry actually panders and is affected by the fandoms residing on that site
>>
>>110418572

You generally have the proper amount of pages for a story, instead of letting the text do the narration mostly its the images that do.

IE Berserk and the fucking boat taking forever.
>>
>>110418572
Not the person you're responding to, and I'm also a huge fan of western comics.

Manga are much more drawn out. They usually have far less panels and dialog on any given page. Action scenes are usually far more detailed and choreographed.

It's not unusual for a action scene in a manga to span over multiple issues, but this almost unheard of in western comics (in both America and Europe). Fight scenes in western comics are normally limited to a few pages at the most. Sometimes they only last a few panels.

If you want to see an extreme example of this, then compare Bleach to a western comics. Some western comics have more plot development in a single page than Bleach has over several issues.

Manga have far more drawn out pacing. I actually prefer this, as it means the creators can go into more detail and explore scenes more extensively.
Of course, there are exceptions in both manga and comics that go against the grain. I'm generalizing for the sake of discussion.

>>110419068
>instead of letting the text do the narration mostly its the images that do.

This is a good point
>>
>>110419068
One of my biggest peeves about western comics is the amount of text and self narration. It can work sometimes but in a visual medium so much of what you want to say should be in drawings.
>>
>>110419288
It has a lot to do with writers who are making comics because they were laughed out of other writing professions, so the pack a lot of dialogue in to prove what great writers they are. It also has a lot to do with the infamous Marvel method, where comics were written in an odd, ass backwards way, and as a result tended to read like they were written for complete idiots.
>>
>>110415861
>and people who don't research things they want.
This comment epitomizes what is killing the western comics market. God forbid someone walk into a comic book store and browse or make an impulse buy, and good luck finding where to start a series if you have to depend on asshole comic store employees to help.

Contrast to manga - find the volume that says fucking 1 on the cover, go in numerical order until you run out of numbers.
>>
>>110419570
This.

Plus the fact that artists are treated like slave labor to build the writers' pyramids.
>>
>>110415393
An increasingly diverse and numerous fanbase is trying to get everything they want out of an increasingly stale and limited artistic output, which leads to all kinds of controversy and bullshit. With manga there is enough content diversity that anyone can find at least 5 works that cater to their specific interests within 10 minutes.
>>
>>110415393

Real answer? It's not.
>>
>>110420427
Artists are better paid, always have been. From the last year, Skottie Young could probably buy a house with cash in hand, and Michael Turner got a lot of work towards the end of his life to pay for cancer treatment, which ain't fucking cheap.
>>
>>110420375
>Contrast to manga - find the volume that says fucking 1 on the cover, go in numerical order until you run out of numbers.

This is a huge reason comics are fucking dead in the west.

No one can get into capeshit without a fucking infographic from /co/ telling them which of the seven billion issues of Batman are good and which are bad. And good luck finding good standalone comics since they conclude after three issues. Oh, and if a writer/artist is getting lippy? The chief editors just fire them and put someone new in, even if it changes the entire flow of the story. And don't expect many indie comics to get lucky and strike it big when capeshit is suffocating the market.

It's such a fucking mess, and it's only the desperate dollars of neckbeard fans acting as life support. It needs to die, so that something better can blossom from its ugly corpse.
>>
>>110415393
1. The manga culture in Japan is much more accepted than the comic culture in America. People don't auto-judge you for reading manga.
2. The manga industry isn't monopolized by two companies.
3. Manga is released in a magazine bundling different manga and is relatively inexpensive compared to comics.
4. Manga artists have more control over their works, while in America, Marvel and DC own the comics, characters, and your ass.

I fully blame the Big 2 (Marvel and DC) for the reason why American comics are not as popular and as quality as manga is. There are probably other factors, but their tight grip over the comic industry is what I perceive to be the most influential one.
>>
>>110420705
pic unrelated
>>
>>110420705
>>110420705

I read that right to left.
>>
Is /co/ shit because comics are shit?
>>
File: 001.jpg (524KB, 1200x1880px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
001.jpg
524KB, 1200x1880px
>>110415393
is always the popel that have never read a good comica that say that
>>
>>110420872
no it's because they watch shows even more childish than /a/ does, like seriously korra, steven universe, even adventure time are all fine but some of the drivel they talk about like fucking monster high school or whatever the fuck it is, it's just embarassing
>>
>>110420840
also manga actually ends lol
>>
File: Bsad05_000.jpg (383KB, 897x1200px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Bsad05_000.jpg
383KB, 897x1200px
>>110420844

I didn't intend for it to be an example.

Manga does slice of life stuff and fan service better, comics do darker more serious stuff better.
>>
>>110420872
Only in /a/ have I ever seen /co/ called shit. I've never seen anyone else call /co/ shit among the other boards. Have you ever even been on /co/? It's about the same as /a/, except less popular and less material to talk about, so it sometimes branches off into topics that are half-half /co/ related.
>>
>>110421002
>comics do darker more serious stuff better
lol'd
>>
File: 1375259673857.png (18KB, 387x300px)
1375259673857.png
18KB, 387x300px
>>110420950
>manga actually ends
>one piece, naruto, bleach, berserk
>actually ends lol
>>
>>110421012
>I've never seen anyone else call /co/ shit among the other boards.
Try going somewhere besides /co/.

Everyone knows that /co/ is the gayest, most tumblr-infested board on 4chan. Yes, that assessment includes /lgbt/.

>>110421002
Eurocomics are completely separate from Americomics.
>>
>>110421012
I've been on /co/ once after watching Frozen because all of 4chan was going crazy about it. Never returned. Also, the only time I hear of /co/ it's either about the autistic Frozen general or how shit it is.
>>
>>110420779
>No one can get into capeshit without a fucking infographic from /co/ telling them which of the seven billion issues of Batman are good and which are bad
Yeah they can, it's easy if you're not a total retard. Hell, both Marvel and DC put out recommended lists for free. Image reprints almost every #1 they have for a dollar, and Valiant has put out two sampler anthologies for six bucks each, equating to $1.20 an issue. It's called experimenting, people with higher brain functions do it all the time.
>>
File: 1391453778500.gif (1009KB, 390x219px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1391453778500.gif
1009KB, 390x219px
>>110420949

They just dont have the variety we do.
Imagine talking only about dbz day and night years after the show ended.

And then there's the lack of fap material that make them see things where there's fucking nothing, like 100x worse than yurifags seeing things through dem yurigoggles.
>>
>>110421126
/co/ is where the MLP and Homestuck fandom emerged.

That's all you need to know about /co/.
>>
>>110421124

Comics are comics, and even if we are restricting to comics made in the US, I stand by my statement.
>>
>>110421071
You just named the shittiest manga of all.
>>
>>110421126
I just went to check the Frozen general out
Jesus christ i might have asperger's now
>>110421193
I though homestuck was tumblr
>>
>>110421190
korra is some good fucking fap material though
>>
>>110421135
>both Marvel and DC put out recommended lists for free
>taking recommendations on what to buy from the people selling it to you
>>
>>110421212
>Comics are comics, and even if we are restricting to comics made in the US, I stand by my statement.

inb4 Kingdom Come
>>
>>110421234

Mmmm korra, anime girls just don't do it for me like Korra does.
>>
>>110421126
/frz/, the frozen general, is the worst thing I have ever had the displeasure of looking at. But it's one thread with three guys circlejerking. It's not representative of the whole board.
>>
>>110415393
I don't think they're any better. The artwork and plots of most manga suck for the most part.
>>
>>110421282

Hadn't seen that before but the art looks amazing, will check out
>>
>>110421135
>Image reprints almost every #1 they have for a dollar, and Valiant has put out two sampler anthologies for six bucks each, equating to $1.20 an issue
The problem is that you'd actually have to walk into the cesspool that is a comic book store to even find one of these, and they're not even marketed to new fans. No one would know about these sampler anthologies unless they were already a dedicated comics reader.
>>
>>110421314
while I agree the artwork is not always top tier in manga, the plots are usually much better than western comics
>>
The majority of the Vertigo line-up is superior than mostly anything that has been done in manga, so the argument is void from that alone.
The entirety of the comics found in the magazine Heavy Metal (and the french original Metal Hurlant) are better than manga. In fact, Metal Hurlant and other french/belgian bande desinees are the major source of inspiration for japanese manga artists.
Then there's the entire Alternative/indie comics scene. People who assume that the comic book is ruled only by DC and Marvel and capeshit are just as delusional as the people who think anime is only about tentacle porn.

Using variety as a trump card is pretty fucking silly. Apparently high school filled with samey stereotypical characters with a fantasy/sci-fi TWEEST is the peak of variety and uniqueness.
>>
>>110421212
He's right, though. Aside from the broadest strokes, they couldn't be more different.

>>110421267
>you can't possibly learn where to start on your own because thinking r hard
>the companies put out lists and guides for free
>THAT DOESN'T COUNT, THEY JUST WANT YOUR BUSINESS
>>
>>110421335
Definitely one of the best things the Big 2 has every produced.

>>110421380
But the comic book industry is ruled by DC and Marvel. The smaller companies have such a minimal share of the pie in comparison. Capeshit isn't the only thing you can find, but it's a majority of it.
>>
File: 1396749809287.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1396749809287.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
The great thing about anime is that no matter how bad the show is, you're likely to find a design, voice or type that makes your dick twitch.

Pic related
>>
>>110421385
>the companies put out lists and guides for free
>THAT DOESN'T COUNT, THEY JUST WANT YOUR BUSINESS
I'm not saying it doesn't count, and I'm sure they have some helpful guides. But even comics fans will admit that some storylines go to absolute shit. It's not like the company selling them is going be like "and don't bother this shit, it was fucking terrible."
>>
>>110417821
I don't like Paul Pope all that well either. I like his inking, but his work doesn't appeal to me aesthetically. I think Westerners like it more, because it appeals to that 'grimdark' shit they love so much.
>>
>>110421380
>Heavy Metal
>Franco-Belgian comics
>underground "comix"

No kidding. The points is that these are all buried under a mass of superhero junk. Heavy Metal finally went out of business just recently after struggling for the last decade, and indie stuff hardly gets any circulation. And hardly any of the good European stuff makes it over to Murka. You're better off learning French (like I finally wound up doing) or digging around for one of those rare scanalation sites.

>>110421481
>Definitely one of the best things the Big 2 has every produced.

Which is very sad IMO. Kingdom Come was okay at best.
>>
File: ArtesiaPanel.jpg (154KB, 956x688px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
ArtesiaPanel.jpg
154KB, 956x688px
The majority of the western comics market is dominated two large corporations that control a shit ton of IPs where the actual writers and artists are constanly switched and the fact that they then decided to have all their characters and stories all exist in the same world has turned it into a colossal clusterfuck. If you work for these companies you have to stick to this system and in America at least it is very difficult to remain independent as a comic artist. While it is true that capeshit is not the entirety of western comics it does compire such a large proportion of it that that is as far as most people are willing to dig , which in turn leads to an ever increasing amount of the fanbase who only want capeshit.

That said there are some good American comic, Artesia being a personal favorite of mine.

Spoiler for not anime
>>
>>110421364
The modern iteration of Valiant has only been around for two years, and the latest sampler was called "Must Read Valiant" with a list of the included titles right on the front, which is brightly colored to draw the eye. Valiant also releases all of their first trade volumes at $10 to encourage impulse buys, and has a uniform spine design to encourage recognition. Short of breaking down your door and shoving the issues down your pants, they can't do much more.

>>110421560
>even comics fans will admit that some storylines go to absolute shit
I'm the comic store employee, I shit on storylines so often that my boss yells at me about it regularly. My original comment about people doing no research comes more from the stunning ignorance that people display, such as having to explain that the Walking Dead comic came first. I have also, on occasion, been asked to recommend comics to someone that had never read one before, which even in the limited scope of cape comics is a minefield.
>>
>>110421481
>But the comic book industry is ruled by DC and Marvel. The smaller companies have such a minimal share of the pie in comparison.
You can make the same argument for Japan with Shueisha and Kodansha.
>>
File: P00119.jpg (171KB, 799x1200px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
P00119.jpg
171KB, 799x1200px
Because manga has proper SOL without any further meaning or social critique.
Just fun things being fun.

Pic related, its not iconic but pretty damn comfy.
>>
>>110421710
>Heavy Metal finally went out of business just recently after struggling for the last decade
Comic store employee, we JUST got an issue I think two weeks ago.
>>
>>110421012
really? I've seen them called shit on /v/, /tv/, /pol/, and /fit/.
I haven't been on /co/ for years and looking at it now i see it hasn't changed much besides generals. Jesus almost the same topics from all them years ago
>>
>>110421914
Even /tg/ has called /co/ a few times
>>
>>110421914
>same topics
That's what you get when comics and cartoons in America have stagnated. Quite sad.
>>
>>110421825
It's still a different system entirely.

It may have been more similar back in the days when fanzines and Cerebus issues were swapped on college campuses, but those days are dead.
>>
>>110420774
>Artists are better paid, always have been.

Yeah, point me to the American comic artist(s) who has made as much as the top 5 richest mangaka in Japan. The only ones who could come close are Jim Lee, Rob Liefeld, and Todd McFarlane and that was back in the 90s.

While a top artist can fetch a lot of money for a book, there is, literally, no equivalent to creating, having, and owning your own series. Many top artists who for Marvel and DC don't own their own work. They don't own those characters. They are basically doing licensed work. Oda isn't doing licensed work, he's creating his own comic. A comic that sells more than the entirety of the American comics industry. Even if his story is rare I will be hardpressed to find an American comic artist that can amass the kind of bank that he has.
>>
>>110420941
Omg that shit looks awful.
>>
>>110421880
look harder
>>
>>110422063
Do most manga artists own their own characters?
>>
>>110420872
They don't really have anything to watch...or read most of the time it seems.
>>
Marvel's and DC's slapfighting shenanigans have crashed the entire American comics industry at LEAST three times by now.

There's honestly no hope for the industry in America, which is why so many kids starting looking to manga back in the late 90s and early 00s. Maybe you were one of them.
>>
>>110421002
>comics do darker more serious stuff better.

No, they really dont.
>>
>>110422188
Robert Crumb is not comfy at all.

He's for those late nights when you hate yourself and need to soak in some self-loathing.
>>
I like the variety of topics covered in manga as well as the art, it's usually very reflective of the mangaka's personality or what they are trying to express in their work. There are plenty of good female and male western artists but I feel like most of them get lost in the jumble of the industry or try to copy each other too much (such as artists on Tumblr or the ones who try to mimick artists like Djurdjevi?).

If I think of certain generations of anime/manga it's easy to point out titles and artists. It's hard to do the same with western comics.
>>
>>110422299
> comfy
fuck off back to /v/
>>
>>110422172
He is one of the worst artists in the business, and people love him. He forgot Sinestro's mustache, for God's sake. It's only been there for 60 years.

>>110422299
I think that was addressing the "no deeper meaning" thing.
>>
>>110422435
Are there people on /a/ now who don't know how the things with the post numbers work?
>>
>>110421380
>The majority of the Vertigo line-up is superior than mostly anything that has been done in manga, so the argument is void from that alone.

I don't know about that. I read Vertigo titles and I still reading manga a whole lot more. Way more actually. Granted I never read Sandman though, but the art really puts me off.

>The entirety of the comics found in the magazine Heavy Metal (and the french original Metal Hurlant) are better than manga.

I tried reading Heavy Metal and I just couldn't get into it. Prolly isn't really my thing.

>just as delusional as the people who think anime is only about tentacle porn.
You are claiming that 1 book series > the medium of an entire country. I don't think it gets anymore delusional than that.
>>
>>110416111
>written japanese is notoriously difficult to read
No? I mean the culture between the two is certainly difficult and children may not be able to read some things but there's nothing particularly hard about reading the language itself if you know the words. There's even furigana which is used for younger people who don't know all the relevant kanji.
>>
>>110421002
>Horsecock
>>
>>110422584
> 1 book series
When did I ever say that? You're the delusional one here. I've mentioned dozens.
>>
>>110421880
>without any further meaning or social critique.
How much do you know about Japanese society to confidently make that statement?
>>
>>110422668
Don't be mad because you didn't understand how deep it was.
>>
>>110422668
Let's not bring Ennis' lesser shit into this. Talk about Hitman, talk about Preacher, talk about Punisher Max, just leave Crossed out of it.
>>
>>110422191
If they own the copyrights...then yes, they would own their own characters. Otherwise...it would be a case of what's going on in America where there would be 200+ DBZ stories being written and illustrated by various creators.
>>
>>110422584
But Sandman has a bunch of different artists over the years
>>
>>110422682
>The entirety of the comics found in the magazine Heavy Metal (and the french original Metal Hurlant) are better than manga.

Heavy Metal...was really an anthology. So you, basically, said ONE comic anthology was better than anything ever out in Japan since like what? For fucking decades?

Give me a break.
>>
>>110422808
Punisher Max has nothing on Goodnight Punpun.

>>110422844
But usually manga artists own their own creations? In America, the industry owns your creations. Like in the example of Moore and Watchmen.
>>
I can only imagine if Japan were to make superheroes

>Batman
>EDGY

>Spiderman
>More like spiderfag amirite

>Superman
>CLEARLY A GARY STU WISH-FULFILLMENT SELF INSERT
>>
>>110422849
God it pissed me off how bad that last artist was.
>>
>>110422980
>But usually manga artists own their own creations?

Yes! That's what owning the copyrights mean. If the mangaka didn't own their own copyrights, that would mean Jump Comics could fire Kishimoto and hire someone like Oda to write and draw Naruto instead even though Kishimoto created Naruto.

So far, I have never heard of any Japanese publisher doing to a mangaka what DC to did Alan Moore's Watchman. It was awful.

That is the essential difference between being a mangka in Japan v. being an comic creator in America.
>>
Here's what counts as "variety" in the Japanese entertainment industry:
1. Action super-hero manga with an useless twist. For example, the superheroes can be ninjas, pirates, alchemists, grim reapers, demons, robots, whatever. It's always the same and the variety is skin deep, no one actually acts like a pirate or a ninja. It's capeshit under a different name.
2. "Mature" manga. Usually the same as number 1 except with more gore/nudity/mindfuck porn. The equivalent of alternative/Vertigo comics in Japan. The really unique ones fit in here as well but they're so rare and fly so low under the Japanese radar you might just not count them (just like people don't count the alternative american scene).
3. Slice of Life/harem comedies. Boring crapola with characters that stay the same, no plot and people just enjoying it for "comfyness" and cutenss and fan-service. Almost always involves little girls with big eyes. The comedy is almost always some really awkward shit that only the strongest of weaboo can genuinely find funny.
4. Sports manga. Pretty much all of them copy the Rocky/Hoosiers formula, again and again. The twist is about the sport being different, even though the giant majority of them is about either baseball or basketball. Again, the variety is skin-deep because the sport looks different, but the content is almost always the same. Gets some extra points though because the west doesn't do sport comics very much.
>>
>>110422668

>rapehorse
>>
>>110423071
Pretty good descriptions actually. Good job.
>>
What bothers me the most in western comics are the changes of writers/artists. Also, fuck capemen.
>>
>>110422980
>Punisher Max has nothing on Goodnight Punpun.
That is the worst comparison I have ever seen.

>Like in the example of Moore and Watchmen
Moore is an idiot and a hypocrite. All of the Watchmen characters are based on the then-recently acquired Charlton universe; they're parody, roughly as original as a Weird Al song. Much of his other "original" works are rife with characters he didn't create, the most heinous being Lost Girls. He didn't have the rights to use Wendy Darling, and the children's hospital that was granted ownership by JM Barrie wouldn't let him use her, so he waited until it passed into public domain and they couldn't stop him. Any pissy argument he had about creator's rights flew out the window, at least any that were left after he had Mr. Hyde rape the Invisible Man in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
>>
>>110423227
Is that the only kind of manga you read? You need more variety in your life...
>>
>>110423301
I have abandoned books because. Before with the Marvel...I think that they used to get people who were pretty similar in style so it wouldn't be such a jarring change for the reader. I feel that they don't do that anymore so it really puts me off.
>>
>>110423071
>>Spiderman
>>More like spiderfag amirite
Japan does the best Spiderman.
>>
File: 1397378351443.jpg (31KB, 584x389px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1397378351443.jpg
31KB, 584x389px
>>110423542
Post best jap!Spider-man then
>>
>>110423542
Indeed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPX-FX0KStE
>>
>>110423512
DC does it now, it's called a house style. Marvel's variety is seen by many as refreshing, but their best artists all look alike and the crazier ones tend to look like shit. They also stuck Javier Pulido on a book I was looking forward to, so fuck them.
>>
>>110421071
>Implying long-running shounen is anywhere NEAR the majority of manga
How stupid are you?
>>
Do Franco-Belgian comics cont as western comics?, because as fas as i know most of those comics are creator owned, and they have a great variety of styles and genres.
Also Americans are not reduced to the big two, even ignoring the indi comics, there are publisher like image, that creator owned comics.
>>
>>110423686
What people are saying is that the even for Image, IDW, and etc. they still make up such a small portion of the market compared to the Big 2.
>>
Also, there's way more stuff by and for females in Japan. There's stuff for little girls as well as porn that caters to women. In fact, it's not odd for women to create work for men/boys and vice versa. Not only that, but Shonen Jump got the hint: having good looking main characters will being in the female readers w/o sacrificing the action or the story for their core audience.

In America, so far...there's been only one female artist to finally draw Batman after how many years? Usually female artists draw female character books and the males draw the male books.

It shows how progressive America really is as a society.
>>
>>110423807
There's also a factor of momentum. Marvel and DC are all that remains of the early industry, having swallowed up or just outlasted everyone else. Batman died as a property twice and came back twice before Dark Horse and Image got in the game.
>>
> In 2014, Image will publish a new creator-owned series by Aaron and Latour titled Southern Bastards which the duo describe as a “southern fried crime comic.” Set in the rural setting of a fictional county in the heart of Alabama, Southern Bastards follows the big and the bad including a high school football coach with bodies buried in his end zone, crooked sheriffs, and of course some classic southern barbecue.

> In July, O’Malley will release the follow-up to his New York Times Bestselling series with a new, auspicious series titled Seconds. Set in a titular small-town restaurant inspired by the cartoonist’s own time spent working at a Toronto restaurant in the early days of Scott Pilgrim, Seconds centers on a “loveable spaz” named Katie who works at the eatery.

> The gods only know what's going to happen to the U.S. release of the movie, but at least we can read the original French graphic novel Snowpiercer, courtesy of Titan. The story is about the last remnants of humanity, stuck on a train that continually circles the earth, where the elite live in the front cars and the downtrodden toil in the back.

> From Alyssa Milano — yes, that Alyssa Milano — comes this comic about two computer programmers who run the social network site YourLife while secretly working as hacker-crusaders to fight tyranny across the globe. From Boom Studios.
>>
>>110423973
There really aren't that many female artists that are worth a shit. I love Amanda Connor, but she's so slow she just sticks to covers and writing that obscenely disappointing Harley Quinn book.
>>
File: 1279149801364.jpg (82KB, 602x616px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1279149801364.jpg
82KB, 602x616px
>>110423542
Chinese Spiderman is a bit more grim, if that's your particular cup of tea.
>>
>>110424270
> Evan Dorkin's quasi-lovable group returns! When Bill's job at the comic store starting tearing the group apart, the Eltingville Comic Book, Science-Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, and Role-Playing Club calls it quits. Unfortunately, these guys don't quit with dignity as much as they do with a scorched earth policy.

> A women in prison movie… set in space… which is actually a comic written by Captain Marvel's Kelly Sue Deconnick? YES, PLEASE. Deconnick's promises to match the sexploitation of the genre with actual feminism, and if anybody can do it and make it wildly entertaining, she can.

> An intriguing scifi comic from Image about a future where radiation has forced humanity to live in underwater cities. Now a probe with information on a new planet they can move to has returned, but it's landed on the surface — and representatives from the warring clans of humanity must work together to recover it.

> In creating a biography of a cult figure, you have to be careful not to trivialize a human life for the sake of novelty, but Box Brown is well qualified to produce an exemplary take on the 7-and-a-half-foot pro wrestler best known for his role in The Princess Bride.

This are just a few titles from 2014 alone.
>>
>>110424270
>>110424309
>> The gods only know what's going to happen to the U.S. release of the movie, but at least we can read the original French graphic novel Snowpiercer, courtesy of Titan. The story is about the last remnants of humanity, stuck on a train that continually circles the earth, where the elite live in the front cars and the downtrodden toil in the back.


This is the only one that sounds interesting, but as typical of American comics...it's mostly, crime dramas and sci-fi. I mean we have one that's a biographical and a SOL one.
>>
>>110424275
What do you think of Amy Reeder's Rocket Girl? Or any of Becky Cloonan's books?
>>
File: 1356764974996.jpg (331KB, 1375x1589px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1356764974996.jpg
331KB, 1375x1589px
>>110424309
>a comic written by Captain Marvel's Kelly Sue Deconnick? YES, PLEASE.
Deconnick's promises to match the sexploitation of the genre with actual feminism
eugh

>>110424588
I'll admit I liked Rocket Girl, but I haven't read anything Cloonan worked on other than Conan. It's okay, but not earth shattering.
>>
>>110424551
> hurr it doesn't sound interesting to me
I can do the same with a list of 2014 manga as well
>>
>>110424737
do it
>>
>>110424898
well you gotta post a list of manga you find interesting and different first
>>
>>110424737
Yes please. Find the list of manga coming out in 2014 and do it.

Please be genuine.
>>
>>110424737
It's not that. Most of what is released is sci-fi. It's ALWAYS sci-fi. If not sci-fi, it's crime. Sometimes you'll get memoirs, but it's usually sci-fi...and zombies. I forgot about that too.
>>
>>110425082
And manga has more SoL and less crime. What is your point? That you prefer certain genres over the others?

Sci-fi is a pretty sprawling genre by the way. It goes from space opera to mutant stuff, utopia stuff, post-apocalypse, cyberpunk and many others.
>>
>>110424270
>>110424551

Wasn't the snowpiercer movie made by the korean director who did the host?
>>
One thing I've noticed in a lot of western comics is that they force as many words in dialogue bubbles as possible. Bugs me to spend so much time on a single panel when its just some bits of dialogue but it feels more like artists have issues with pacing
>>
>>110425330
>character saying out loud "I should help Tom because he has his leg stuck to the bomb"
Like, who the fuck does that?
>>
>>110425175
>And manga has more SoL and less crime.

What are you talking about? There's just as much crime and sci-fi manga, but it's not the ONLY thing going on there. That's the essential difference. There's a good variety of genres. Not so much in America though....

Maybe moreso in the American webcomics scene...
>>
>>110425586
Oh no! Mary Jane has been kidnapped by Doc Ock! There's no one around me to hear this!
>>
>>110425330
That's because they are graphic "novels". Western comics are novels with illustration.
While manga are basically illustrations with words.
>>
>>110415393
I believe it's because barbarians focused more on the art rather than the story
>>
>>110425175
>has more SoL and less crime
It isn't as centered as comics, also even SoL are varied on their own genre.
>>
>>110425330
>"I should HELP Tom because HE has HIS LEG stuck to the BOMB"
ftfy
>>
>>110423071
Flash = Demonbane
>>
File: 1402462950576.png (312KB, 508x476px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1402462950576.png
312KB, 508x476px
>>110425657
When you put it that way I can't help but think even less of the "graphic novel" label.
>>
>>110418870
You're being incredibly biased. Also, it's not the waifufags that are bad but weaboo waifufags.
There is also nothing bad about watching a series simply because you like one character. Plenty non-waifufags do that.
>>
>>110426792
>thinking anything of it ever
Oh please, it's like calling a video game "interactive entertainment"
>>
>>110427575
That's just it. I thought it was just a defensive buzzword sad sacks use cause they're insecure. I didn't think it was outright delusional too.
>>
I really wish I understood french http://hoxtranslations.blogspot.ca/2013/05/some-thoughts-about-good-manga-7.html
>>
>>110425657
Some comics have a good balance.
>>
File: image.jpg (32KB, 351x158px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
32KB, 351x158px
No one is saying western comics are inherently bad or there is nothing good but the fact of the matter is that what the industry puts out is pathetic in comparison.

There are good authors and artists everywhere but the American industry is so absolutely fucking horrible that it does everything to push them away. The fact that almost everything good currently releasing is indie or underground is one of the big problems.

Just using common sense you shouldn't expect an industry that only sells it's product in specialty shops which in turn are dominated by two companies' products to be able to match in variety, quantity or general quality an industry that sells it products in every convenience and corner store as well as specialty shops. If American comics had the same variety and quantity it would be a fucking miracle.
>>
>>110429040
You might be lucky enough with German or Italian.
>>
>>110420705

damn, those green lantern dudes recruit anyone...even cats...
>>
>>110421027

read Crossed bozo.
>>
>>110421002
I wouldn't say better. They sure as fuck can't do slice of life and well, they all have to turn to something instead.
>>
>>110423161
>So far, I have never heard of any Japanese publisher doing to a mangaka what DC to did Alan Moore's Watchman. It was awful.
I actually heard that the main reason why Negima ended so abruptly was because Ken's publishers were trying to take the copyright for the Negima characters from him and replace him with someone else. Naturally they failed since he torched the series and went elsewhere, but it doesn't mean that manga publishers don't want to try and create the same sort of industry as western publishers have.
>>
>>110420779
This.

It's not that comics thmselves are shit - there are quite few amazing stories/volumes - but they're buried in a mess of continuity, crossovers, "canon or not", 20th author working on the same character/universe, reboots, and 40 years old series.

I wouldn't ever touch something like Spider/Bat/Superman or all of that: but i'd totally buy Watchmen - a single volume, self contained, amazing story.

Also, graphic novels can be quite great too - but that's a little different kind of comic.
>>
>>110421880
What is Monica and Peanuts.
Thread posts: 166
Thread images: 23


[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.