[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know how to use blender 'pretty well'. (I know hotkeys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 56434.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
56434.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
I know how to use blender 'pretty well'. (I know hotkeys and I got the UI down), But I'm complete shit at modeling I've just been piecing together youtube tutorials to get where I am.

So Where should I Start Learning. My goal is to make game assets. any good youtube channels or websites where I can learn good habits and such?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATE0TzrIhp4
>>
for modeling habits

https://www.youtube.com/user/cgboorman
>>
>>579487
>goal is to make game assets
>learn good habits
texture bake tutorial.
you can make a simple cube look decent in a game with just textures if you know how to bake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq2tUT0iyCQ

also, what game engine?
blender engine?
ue4?
unity?
>i fucking hope not unity
source engine?
>>
>>579487
probably just start with the basics after you choose your game engine, figure out a workflow that works and then try and get better
>>
>>579503
no specific game engine I want to get pretty decent to join a small team
>>
>>579487
You're at the point where you need to start doing some big long tutorials that have projects that take hours or days or even weeks to finish.
You'll get annoyed that 1 hr of video turns into 6 hrs of work due to pausing the video, applying what you saw, trying to understand what you saw, unpausing video. But that's just the learning process; as you assimilate more information you'll find with future tutorials you don't need to pause nearly as much, and eventually you'll be able to improvise.

Also, I'm sure you've already run into this but, it's entirely normal to feel like "I'm not learning anything, I'm just painting by numbers, I have no idea how I ended up drawing this entire Owl" (that's a Loomis related meme) but you ARE learning you just don't retain 100% of what you're exposed to. Keep chugging a long, finish the tutorial series, move on to another, if you revisit one of the old ones you'll be amazed at how much you now understand and actually did learn.
>>
>>579677
best advice i can give you about game asset creation:
>be prepared to redo your work on each model at least twice, sometimes 3 times.
>learn how to reuse a single texture on different models without it looking the same.
>do not get discouraged when the game engine will not accept your model.

now your best bet is also to learn how to bake from high-poly to low-poly.
that way you can have a ton of detail with very high framerate.
>>
>>579689
>now your best bet is also to learn how to bake from high-poly to low-poly.
dude you can literally learn that in 5 minutes
>>
>>579503
whats everyone's beef with unity? just bad graphics engine?
>>
>>579693
its actually too "lightweight" and easy to use for /3/ to understand
>>
>>579690
>learn that in 5 minutes
yes you can.
but in order to learn how to do it properly it takes awhile.

>>579693
the best game to come out of the unity engine is hearthstone.

let that sink in.
>>
>>579700
https://venturebeat.com/2017/01/28/superdata-hearthstone-trumps-all-comers-in-card-market-that-will-hit-1-4-billion-in-2017/

Let that sink in, idiot
>>
>>579704
>1.4 bil
that's 2% of a AAA title's development budget 7 years ago.

let that fully sink the fuck in.
>>
File: 1383431538607.gif (1MB, 267x219px) Image search: [Google]
1383431538607.gif
1MB, 267x219px
>>579723
>a billion USD
>game budget
>>
>>579723
>AAA titles have 70 billion dollar budgets

You're fucking retarded, Let that sink in.
>>
don't waste time on baking textures and lightning, that's too much work for someone that isn't into texturing and advanced materials.
since unity is mostly equipped for making lightweight/mobile games the shader is not powerful so you would be much better off sticking to the diffuse/specular workflow.

please do something like this:
https://www.udemy.com/create-a-game-environment-with-blender-and-unity/

those complete courses are outstanding for someone that doesn't exactly know what tutorials to watch.
doing textures with projection tools and UV'ing is gonna improve your skills by alot. decent bakes is alot of trial and error even if you are already good at 3D so avoid it
>>
>>579723
you do know that Avengers: Infinity War has a budget of only 1 bil. Are you saying that AAA vidya is 500% higher?
>>
>>579740
alright thanks,
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.