[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

People say to put all the details from my high poly mesh into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: 12421412124122.jpg (473KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
12421412124122.jpg
473KB, 1280x720px
People say to put all the details from my high poly mesh into a normal/displacement map and then put it into the lower poly version, but will that make the details that are put into those maps deform correctly during animation? I don't think so
>>
>>576814
Why not? They both work in relation to the local normal of the surface, so if your UVs are good, they'll deform well also.
If you're talking about high-end stuff like making a brow furrow or skin folds collect, you basically sculpt & bake multiple normal maps and then blend between them - basically morph targets for normal maps. Then you just wire the blend state to the relevant animation. Various AAA games do this, notably the Uncharted series.
>>
>>576825
>local normal
stopped reading there
>>
>>576830
tangent space? normals arent always aligned to the surface afaik.
>>
>>576814
I am also curious about this. Do Normal and Displacement maps deform well during animations?
>>
>>576866
if the maps are tangent space then yes
>>
>>576814
Uncharted has animation on textures.

You could do the same thing. Adjust highpoly model with exaggerated poses then rebake.

Then all you need to know is add the animation on textures relative to the pose.

But we don't do that cause it's too time consuming and games would never be done. Nobody is that anal enough to zoom in on an elbow and see if it's stretched properly.
>>
>>576883
you're talking about wrinkle maps

everyone uses wrinkle maps
>>
>>576814

Most of it will. For specific things like face wrinkles, I believe you want to bake a normal map per extreme facial expression and blend between them. Not sure how, but that's the idea I got from watching some NaughtyDog presentations.
>>
>>576883
>Uncharted has animation on textures.
No it dosnt, are you retarded?
It has texture blending, do you have even a slight idea how much memory it would require to load up as few as 3 or 4 uncompressed animation at 8k resolution of your average character texture today?
You would eat up your entire memory budget with one character.
Animated textures in games are fucking tiny and tileable, or are just compressed to shit and back videos that are unusable as normal maps due to compression artifacts that would butcher the shading.

Also you have additional textures just for the normal map, no reason to have more than one color texture, just one or two additional maps for wrinkles, and maybe for muscle tension and relaxation and one for cloth folds. you can get some great result with blend shapes at a cheap for animation that wont fucking kill your fps.
Movies do basically the same thing, only the use displacement maps instead of normal maps.
>>
>>577014

> are you retarded?

No need to go on a psychotic tirade. Blending is what I meant, but the word escaped me.
>>
>>577014
>Ps4 handles 8k texutres per character
Kek
>>
>>577041
>No need to go on a psychotic tirade. Blending is what I meant, but the word escaped me.
If you gonna talk like some kind of authority on the subject you better know what you saying.
>>
File: IMG_6057.jpg (102KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6057.jpg
102KB, 1280x720px
>>576984
Was watching Hellblade BTS videos and they mentioned that they had over 50 normal maps for the face of Senua.
>>
>>577061
>50 normal maps for the face of Senua.
Bullshit.
They probably mean blend shapes and not normal maps, 50x 2k normal map would be retarded waste of gpu memory.
Unless it includes multiple variations, with face paint, without or what ever.
>>
>>577693
Doesn't mean each of those is 2K and for the full face. Maybe they have smaller patches just for the mouth area/eyes etc.
>>
>>577693
No, they also said 200+ blend shapes, so a ridiculous amount of everything.
>>
>>577061
And they're still not making her look like the real deal. Bad.
>>
>>577737
Adromeda was bad, this looks pretty good actually.
>>
>>576814
This works well as long as it's only smaller details. If you are displacing large volumes then your animated mesh may intersect. As another poster said, for fine details like face wrinkles you can blend between multiple displacement/normal maps. Most modern render engines/ 3D packages have this ability
>>
>>577059
Are you this literal all the time...
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.