[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Very Heavt Art Test for Start Up Studio

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: art-test-590x312.jpg (36KB, 590x312px) Image search: [Google]
art-test-590x312.jpg
36KB, 590x312px
I was given an art test and it seems, pretty insane in terms of raw hours for a test.

>Model an entire environment, a decrepit overgrown building
>Texture, light and shade it for a full 360 VR view in Unity
>Needs a Diffuse, a Normal map, an
Ambient Occlusion map, and a Specular map

>Rig a character (Model provided)
>Then create a walk cycle for that character

All of which is supposed to be as realistic as possible.

That seems like days worth of work. Aren't Art Test supposed to be something doable in like a day?

All for a maybe.
>>
Hold on... they're testing you for environment modelling... AND rig/animate a character?

What the fuck? These guys are:

A). Taking the fucking piss and just going way overboard with their test in order to really put candidates through the ringer, to an unrealistic degree.

or

B). Don't know what the fuck they're doing and don't know how to commission an artist. A studio either wants an environment artist, or a character animator. Pick one.

Yeah, anon - this seems like a bullshit, unrealistic test which is set by people who have no problems wasting other people's time.
>>
>>576077
It's definetely possible. Use adderall.
>>
that insane, i can already tell that the managers don't really know anything about 3D.

here is what would be more reasonable

>model an environment from a reference
>shade,light,texture everything
>show proficiency in making basic shaders
>create your own textures to some extent

that's it. and that's asking too much already.
they simply aren't gonna find anyone to do this job, and if they would, that person would have too much credentials to accommodate the pay (which is probably shit, startups are like that)
>>
>>576112
This. OP check company creds to make sure they're legit and not just trying to steal work.

Noone would ever ask for this much variation in work for an art test.
>>
>>576112
THIS
environment modeling and character rigging couldnt be more distant specific tasks wtfff
This test sounds like ultimate bullshit to me

>>576142
>check company creds to make sure they're legit and not just trying to steal work
definitely a good idea.. some companies have no respect for the hard work people do and will backstab you for their own profit, guaranteed
>>
>>576112
This

>>576116
This

>>576142
Also this

>>576150
And this.

Did the advertised position say it was for graduates or inexperienced candidates? Because any artist that has been in industry for more than 18 months would throw this test back at them and laugh. It would be a complete insult.

I'm not gonna tell you what to do anon, but if you get involved with these guys, watch yourself because as of right now - they are giving off classic exploitation signals.
>>
Start Ups might be looking for generalists, so contrary to what the fags itt are saying, the studio might just need someone to do environments and some rigging.
Hell, I got a start up and I could use someone like that.

And maybe they want to put you in a bad situation and see how you deal with it.
>>
>>576156
i have no problems with generalists. but you expect someone to do AAA environments and be a pro rigger at the same time its not gonna happen.

you will have to give up the quality of either of those 2. i don't expect a generalist to shit out amazing assets like you would get in ubisoft or sony
>>
File: 1422574102631.png (200KB, 600x451px) Image search: [Google]
1422574102631.png
200KB, 600x451px
>>576156
I get what you're saying, but its quite uncommon for a generalist to be proficient in everyfucking thing (modeling, texturing, shading, lighting, rigging AND animation) on a realistic level. Anyone claiming so will raise an eyebrow. A serious company would probably look for someone doing some of those things, but not all.

I'm not saying OP's test is definitely a scam, but it does raise some suspicion, hence all the "fags itt" suggesting to double check what he's getting into. Finally:

>Hell, I got a start up and I could use someone like that.
Makes you sound like a very optimistic amateur who's ignorant of the artistic and technical skills required for all those 3D-related tasks.
>>
>>576160
>very optimistic amateur
Yep
>ignorant
Nope

Obviously you should check out a company before wasting your time tho.
>>
http://www.slingshotvr.com/
This is their website

>>576112
They were looking for a 3D generalist, then they turned me down for that job saying the filled it, but would like to test me for another position. I already had two interviews with them. The lead VFX guy has experience working at Nintendo for 10 years. But the two heads are basically just Business general guys that definitely don't know much about what goes on with CG.

They are a startup offer 60k a year and benefits. They want a generalist. I have one year experience.

>>576156
The said the test should take "40 hours", that's... an entire work week about.
I dunno, they seemed to really like me in the interviews, but where hesitant because I didn't have as much game experience as I had in commercial.

I currently work in a small startup, but there's just no growth here. I do everything from animation to model to motion capture to rigging to whatever that day needs. But it's a pretty shit small time studio.
>>
>>576182
Humm, well since you're already doing all that, why not give it a shot!

The website doesnt show anything and makes the whole thing feel like a wanna-be big shot NYC startup on which the future of mankind depends. Might turn out to be phoney as fuck, but might be an incredible opportunity as well.. hard to tell.

Good luck m8
>>
>>576184
Thanks, I guess I'll just go for it.

I'm kind of a generalist, but by no means am I really pro at each task. It's hard switching gears all the time and I think I'm more of a jack of all/ master of none. I think working this way really hurts efficiency actually, I go from after effects compositing for like an entire month, then I have to remember how rigging and python works the next week I am doing a motion graphics project on the side, but I guess it makes sense for studios that can't hire a large staff.

I like that it doesn't get stale, but it's hard to really hone in on a skill and it's more about getting things passable than really polishing them, so I hardly make anything at all I deem demo reel worthy.

I just really need a job that pays more at this point in time.
>>
>>576182
>The said the test should take "40 hours", that's... an entire work week about.
good lord
>>
Looks like they're scamming you.
>>
File: 1487374015862.jpg (11KB, 250x277px) Image search: [Google]
1487374015862.jpg
11KB, 250x277px
I wonder, in the chance it is some sort of scam/exploit, could there be a way to protect the test files delivered? Like a watermark on the textures or something?
>>
>>576077
the test is harder than necessary to find your limits. The point isnt to do it perfectly but to show your best effort.
>>
>>576191
Yea that's why I'm asking, my friend did an art test and got hired elsewhere, but they had him do like a 3-4 hour one.
>>
>>576182
>The said the test should take "40 hours", that's... an entire work week about.

Hahaha!

What the FUCK?!

'Hey thanks so much for your interest in our company, we're really flattered that you took the time to get in touch - now, we're just gonna need you to PUT EVERYTHING ON HOLD FOR AN ENTIRE WEEK while you work for us, for free, and then we'll get back to you, and to be honest - your chances are pretty slim.
Oh, and before you head off - we'll just need you to sign this waiver saying anything you submit for this test belongs to us now. KthnxBye! xoxoxox'

GET THE FUCK OUT. Seriously - do not put up with this shit or it will become the norm.

How the fuck is a dude just out of college trying to make rent by working in a bar or in a store or whatever gonna be able to just put that shit on hold to do 40 FUCKING HOURS WORK FOR FREE?

Bullshit. Fuck off. Say no. These people are totally out of touch from reality.
>>
>>576292
*gloves off mode activated*
>>
>>576077
I hope this is payed
Never ever do tests for free. You book/demo should be enough.
>>576292
this, obviously
>>
>>576292
I started modeling the building, it's just dawning on me that, yea this really is days of work. I'm thinking of just saying "look here's some shit Ive done in the past, you can have these files, I don't have time to sink 40 hours right now"
>>
>>576292
Tell em to their face, like this anon phrased it.
Get angry and disgusted.
Really, don't hold back, quote him, adopt his tone and posture.
Usually i would advice to use a nicer language when dealing with people in the "real" world.
Not this time, fuck them, they deserve any verbal abuse.
>>
>>576077
There was a guy months ago that had to do some similar shit for an internship. What fucking third world country are you guys from that you allow yourselves to be exploited like that?
>>
>>576427
You may be partially joking, but.... in all seriousness - OP (and everyone else who has someone attempt to buttfuck them like this) really should tell them 'no' and in the most diplomatic way possible, let them know that you're standing up for the value of your own work as well as everyone else in your industry.

The moment one person allows this work to become devalued, the entire industry becomes devalued.

Say no. Tell em why.
>>
>>576077
>Model an entire environment, a decrepit overgrown building
Make 3 modular wall pieces (corner, window, no window), 3 roof pieces (single corner, double corner, flat)
>Texture, light and shade it for a full 360 VR view in Unity
throw it in Unity, grab some brick textures and pavement textures from Google. Grab a rust and foliage image from Google, cut out a stencil, vertex paint it in in unity
>Needs a Diffuse, a Normal map, an
Ambient Occlusion map, and a Specular map
http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/ the textures. drag into unity. done.

>Rig a character (Model provided)
Maya autorig. done in 2 minutes.
>Then create a walk cycle for that character
maya walk cycle tool, done in 3 mins.

Sounds like OP needs to familiarize himself with the tools available. I wouldn't hire him either.
>>
>>576535
they will eventually hire someone that downloads everything off the internet and pay him minimum wage.
that's basically archviz nowdays
>>
>>576580
anyone hiring this kind of amateur pleb does not value quality, which is in itself a very poor business decision (unless your business is a dollar store)
>>
>>576182
> VR
https://www.linkedin.com/in/cody-ross-3082333a/
https://www.linkedin.com/company-beta/11033043/

These niggers have no product, no game and the biggest names on their website are logos of companies whose products they USE.

Enter their office, pull down your trousers, take the dankest taco bell shit on their table and tell them you don't do a week's spec work for a vaporware industry. VR/AR is a fucking pipe dream and even if they gave you the job you'd be out of work inside a year with not much to show for it in your portfolio.

As shit as your current job is in terms of growth, you're doing paying work and extending your portfolio as a generalist. These guys are getting high off their own farts and even their LinkedIn has jack shit to show for it.

As someone who's been a freelancer in the past I am giving you advice not to work for jerkoffs with grandiose ideas. If they were worth ANYTHING they wouldn't have to advertise for a developer. They will use you like a tampon while they piss away whatever VC funding they have and then wonder why the company went under.

Fuck these guys in particular.
>>
>>576741
this. i couldn't say it better.
lots of popup companies are riding the wave of VR propaganda. i investigated one of those companies from upclose and none of their employees even had public portfolio's (if any). more secretaries and HR than actual artists
>>
DONT EVER FORGET THAT 99% of companies are WANNABIE studios that are run by money people. They have no idea what they're doing and will often ask you to do unreasonable tasks. Welcome to the industry :)
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.