[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm making a game and I may plan on hiring a animator/rigger.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1491969611420.gif (904KB, 140x140px) Image search: [Google]
1491969611420.gif
904KB, 140x140px
I'm making a game and I may plan on hiring a animator/rigger.
What should I do/don't do when setting up my models for him to weight paint and animate?

decent topology is already covered but that's all I know.
>>
>>575909
posing of the model so that the skinning process is faster and easier.
>>
>>575909
>>575915
as for this though
the rigger is going to like poses that make it easier to rig. The animator is going to like poses that deform well. These are not the same pose. You're going to have to tell one of them to deal with it, and it should be the rigger.
Drawing joints for characters in an A-pose is not significantly harder to do than on a T-pose. And more extreme poses like halfway-to-fetal-position might be tedious for them to rig, but the rigger's job is to endure discomfort so the animator doesnt have to.

animators are after all highly emotionally fragile and lack the maturity to handle the slightest of inconveniences.
>>
>>575909
You should probably watch a few tutorials on rigging/skinning just to know what they would expect from your meshes. It's one thing to think you know that placing some edge loops a certain way will rig or deform well and another to see it first hand. And in general, whatever aspect of 3D you're interested in, it always pays to "know your neighbors" so to speak. You can be certain that the person you will hire will know quite a bit of modeling themselves, but it'll be a waste of time and money to have them continually fix your mistakes or god forbid hold your hand.

>>576014
Starting out I had a ton of trouble rigging and deforming A-pose characters, T is just way easier. I think it's more of personal preference in the end, and your rigger can always just lock the character into any default pose he wants before sending it to an animator.
>>
>>576014
God I had to deal with this fucking prick of an animator at one point that was this local subcelebrity in the CG market.

He'd force the model all the way back the pipeline for the slightest inconveniences and ended up delaying work for several days for stupid shit he could've fixed himself. Not only that instead of telling us what he needed fixed on an email or some shit he'd have us walk all the way over to his desk, leaving passive-aggressive post-its at our workstations. Fucking cunt.
>>
>>576032
>he'd force the model all the way back the pipeline for the slightest inconveniences
that's when you give him models he didn't ask for and has nothing to do with the project.
tell him that's what you were told to make.
when he goes to complain to the supervisor you switch files.
he looks like a retard.
tell him afterwards not to pull his bullshit again or you'll infest his hard drive with cp.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.