[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

has anyone here thought of making their own animated show

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1499495479098.jpg (70KB, 470x470px) Image search: [Google]
1499495479098.jpg
70KB, 470x470px
firstly im not in 3d so i dont know the amount of time and effort that would go into making something that is 15 minutes long much less 1hr.
The shows im thinking are like knights of sidonia or ajin on netflix.
>>
I think about starting to learn animation everyday, then when I try I get stuck on learning frames and quit.
>>
>>575125
If you think about it everyday you havn't really quit mate. Do some more work anon.
>>
>>575123
Ajin style animation would probably be a bit quicker due to the low contrast and extremely bright colors (the white creates pretty much a fog around it) that would allow some room for quick, scratchy models. The animation and effects aren't anything too complicated or so it would seem.

If some ONE wanted to make something like that, a single episode would probably take ~2 months if you went at it full time (creating the models, texturing them, animation of bodies and lip sync, lighting) Longer if you wanted to have the sounds, voices, etc thrown in there for an actually completed project.

That's my best guess as a senior animation student. There are definitely some more knowledgeable peeps on here than me but I figured I'd give input since I'd seen the show.

>>575125
what >>575126 said
Start with the basics like a ball bouncing.
>>
>>575123
I got into 3D like a decade ago, and dropped it after a couple years never having made anything serious, but got back in a month ago or so for an archvis project I had to do. So I started making an organic 3D character for a change (my first ever in fact), and chose reference for something fairly simple and with enough art, but even so it's been a week and I'm just coming up on finishing skinning after having modeled and rigged the darn thing, and I still go back to tweak things.
I've re-topologized the mesh like 3-4 times now, first time because every time I added a limb I needed extra loops, and once everything was attached, I just straight-up threw away half the edge loops. Then as I built the rig I realized I had to adjust my loops again because they didn't make sense with regards to bone structure, and again once I started skinning and I didn't have enough verts in the right places.
I'd liked to have known the things I had to consider the first time around, but it's all a learning process, the key as a beginner is to never be attached to your work and throw it away at a moments notice if it's not going your way - I just straight up deleted the first variant of the head I made and made sure to save over the file it was so bad.
The point of all this is that everything leading up to simply making a character before you even animate anything already requires serious time investment and willingness to learn and I had to follow video lessons for rigging and skinning as it was a black art for me.
For animation proper I'll probably heavily reference tutorials as well as traditional animation manuals, as the key concepts still apply, but since this will be a game game character, I won't have to do anything outrageously complex.
So even with good knowledge of the interface and workflow concepts of my program of choice, it'll take a long time to get usable results, never mind good results, but I'm sure I'll eventually go back and make a more perfected variant.
>>
>>575128
I would start learning traditional animation the hard way first. I wish I could share some of my stuff so you could see how fast I'm picking up 3D after spending several years on traditional art and animation. I'd say the hardest part about 3D software is just learning the software. After you understand anatomy, form, lighting, proportions, and perspective sculpting is a thing of ease. Then, the animation part is even easier if you've learned to do it traditionally. Now you just have to draw and sculpt your assets once, then the program worries about perspective, anatomy, proportions, color, and shading from then on. All you have to worry about is posing, spacing, and timing. The only major thing you lose is the spontinuity of drawing your frames, but I'm working on a way to remedy that as well.

All in all I find that if you aren't going for an animation style that capitalizes on the 2 dimensional plane and the transformations you can do with a traditional medium, you are better with 3D, especially when 3D animation is getting better and better at simulating traditional animation.
>>
>>575125
Start with a ball. It's the best beginner exercise, and when you're comfortable you can animate a ball to do almost anything.

Frames are simple. Each second in realtime will have 24, 30, or 60 frames(or images) that render in sequence.
When animating, usually a program will allow you to "key" a frame, which is like a snapshot of where your model is and the positions of the bones used to transform the model.
If you key the ball on the ground at the first frame, and move it up and key the 30th frame, when you play the animation the ball will move upwards/interpolate the difference in space for movement.
There's more to it, but that's the essentials.
>>
>>575134
I've definitely seen some quality anime that mimic 2d quite well. Berserk is getting pretty good at it. Definitely started off rocky tho, but if you can get the shading and lighting right it works great especially for those awkward 360 views in 2d action sequences
>>
File: edit.webm (1MB, 292x166px) Image search: [Google]
edit.webm
1MB, 292x166px
I've been chewing on this for a while, but do you guys think that a dedicated animation thread would garner much traffic? It would probably be the equivalent of the WIP thread, but I have a feeling it would have much less traffic.
>>
>>575163
you could definitely keep going, you can hire voice actors for good price anyway. Also i dont think you should worry about the traffic. If you put it on youtube do a good job, people will be coming to you.
>>
>>575163
I think that perhaps a big issue holding people back is that they don't have a proper work flow with animation, or somebody to tell them how simple 3D animation really is. If you look up tutorials for it you'll find a bunch of things on tweening motions between poses, but their workflow is completely wrong and often they'll work with something closer to straight ahead animation. All the prinipals of traditional animation apply to 3D, and working in blender of all things has shown me just how darn easy 3D animation can be. You use similar tools to what you would in toon boom or flash, but there aren't the restrictions.

I think once I get a tad better I may do a tutorial series on 3D animation. There really is no secret to it, but there isn't anyone talking about it or showing people how to translate the traditional workflow to a 3d software. Also, the only reason the animation thread on /ic/ stays afloat are all the easy to find resources in the OP. I figure we'd need something like that.
>>
>>575123

I've toyed with the idea of making a short animated series on Youtube. Maybe something where there's only a new episode every two weeks. The key it so make something that will stylistically work with fast render times because you'll want to get your render times as close to real-time as you can get.
>>
>>575138

30 frames? I doubt you'd need more than 15fps to make an okay animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exjHJXAB8nA
>>
>>575184
Diffuse shading and a GPU renderer then. Or just do it in Unreal Engine.
>>
Just stumbled into this thread, but I've wanted to do this myself for years now, my limiting factor is time. I'm wanting to get pretty serious with it, so I have started doing a lot of research into workflow and how to do things fast and still get a decent result.

My plan is to come up with some base low poly models and rigs that can be quickly customized, and have very similar topology to make rigging easier. One thing I'm doing as I am testing stuff out is keeping a detailed notebook of methods and shortcuts. When I do any tutorial where I learn something, I document that as well so it's super easy to refer back to it (and have saved demo files of stuff).

For example, I'm just going to use hand painted textures with their self illumination cranked up for an anime look, and I'm not going to worry about cel shader outlines. The result is actually a lot more pleasing than I thought it might be. Renders super fast in mental ray (using this since I own a seat of Max 2013 which I will use for the whole thing.)
>>
I'm not far into it yet so I don't have much to show, but I figure on creating a cast of characters and a few of the major sets first. For sets, I'm whiteboxing the scenes until I am 100% sure of camera placements, then I'll swap out for models. I only need to model what's in front of the camera so I am not worrying about small detail yet, just the big major stuff. As with the chars, just trying to do a lot with the textures (I have a tablet and draw/paint all the time, not to mention I have a shit ton of grunge brushes and alpha mapped textures I have created over the years). My hope is a 10 min ep every 6 months or so, with more coming faster if it picks up any kind of popularity. It's more of a passion project than anything, so it's fine with me if it doesn'tever become popular. Just glad to see others are thinking of doing it as well!
>>
>>575177
Right on the money. And yes, please do, one of my big gripes with amateur animation is that nobody learns the principles first, but if they had, their stuff would be 100 times better AND easier to produce.
>>
>>575123
I mean, If RWBY is a thing, you could probably do it.
Hell just look at all the MMD videos out there, some of them are feature lenght.
If you just don't go too fancy/or expensive, you could probably pull it out alright.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.