[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

noob question: Am I limiting myself if I stick with Blender?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 1479870707926.jpg (78KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1479870707926.jpg
78KB, 1024x768px
noob question:

Am I limiting myself if I stick with Blender? Do I eventually have to move on to use Zbrush, Maya, or whatever else to ever approach anything "professional"? What I mean by professional is all the cool stuff you see on Artstation and CG Society where everything is made by a multitude of these programs. I guess something more specific would be something like character modelling. I'm not too concerned with architecture at the moment.

I know as a beginner I'm not supposed to be too concerned about these things but I am worried that I may never reach that level if I never spend the amount of money getting these programs, or the time to learn all of them.

If there are any really good Blender artists I would really appreciate it if you guys can link me to their portfolio.

pic not related
>>
https://www.artstation.com/artist/georgeturmanidze

https://www.artstation.com/artist/donnieoliver

https://www.artstation.com/artist/mmaaxx

https://www.myline.be/index.php/en/

http://www.artificial3d.com/

http://blog.lucasfalcao.com/

http://alinbolcas.foliohd.com/3d-art

https://www.artstation.com/artist/reynante

industry artists:
donnie oliver (mentioned above)
max pulieo (mentioned above)
Daniel Bystedt (https://www.artstation.com/artist/dbystedt)

trainers & gurus:
reynte martinez (mentioned above)
andrew price
gleb alexandrov
>>
>>570717
good stuff man thanks
>>
Blender is an excellent program, nearly everyone starts out there. I just use blender for fun occasionally, but I do know that Maya is used for nearly every professional project in the field. I have heard, however, it is not that hard to switch once proficient in blender.

https://www.youtube.com/user/HyperMetal101

this is hyper, a perfect example of what you are thinking. He used to just make shit for fun in blender, then he got hired by respawn, and worked on titanfall 2, using maya and 3ds. Hes probably the one that got me interested in this, and he said during a live stream that the switch was relatively painless.
>>
>>570710
Skill transfers pretty easily from program to program, whether it takes someone a bit longer or shorter compared to the average. Use Blender for now, but if it comes to the point where you need/want to switch, you will be able to do so with relative ease so you shouldn't worry. also Maya costs money, so unless you're truly self supporting Blender seems like your better option right now.

t. Maya guy
>>
>>570780
>that the switch was relatively painless.
just humble bragging. i know blender from upclose and switching will be painful.
but since his area of expertise is so specialized then he might be right.
besides there are ton of industry pros that use modo.
>>
>>570710
>Am I limiting myself if I stick with Blender?
hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahhaahahahahahahahahahahahahhaAAHAAH
>>
>>570780
>Blender is an excellent program
No. It isn't.
>nearly everyone starts out there
Because it's free, not beause it's good.
>once proficient in blender
That will only take you 10 years and you'll have to learn python quite well
>then he got hired
He's one in a million. Chances are you won't get hired by anybody.
>painless
That's just what Blender isn't.
>>
>>572725
t.3DS user
Neck yourself
>>
https://sketchfab.com/lightningocelot/models

:^]
>>
Well, lets be real here.

Blender is a nice program only if you know how to use it. Like everything else.

But the thing is, Blender is heavily used only by indie hippies guys. "Oh but Dreamworks used Blender in that movie" Yeah, but dont think its the same Blender that you downloaded. No. Its a different modified Blender.

Blender is famous because its free, and its one of the first programs that people download to know the 3D world.. thats it
>>
>>570710
Using just one program this day and age is hard to do really good work, regardless of program. Blender is ok if you use it strictly for modeling and has the advantage that it's fast. For everything else, like sculpting, animation, rigging, texturing use a specialized software, imo. Oh, and Cycles is absolute crap.

inb4 autodesk fag kys. (I don't use autodesk at all btw)
>>
>>572747
Pretty much. Blender has a steep af learning curve to work with. Hell, I've been using the program for almost a decade and I still don't know how half the features work.

Thing is, it can also apply to any and all 3D programs. You're not magically going to learn Maya/Blender/ZBrush/3DS/whatever overnight, it can take months, if not years to be proficient. And you can't just limit yourself to just one program. Hell, Blender artists use Substance and ZBrush because of Blender's limitations in both texturing and sculpting.
>>
>>572747
whats your point?
>>
>>572747
this, shit's worthless if you don't have to pay a monthly fee.
>>
OP here. So I guess the consensus is that I should eventually move on but can people specify more on why certain programs are better than Blender in regards to features?
I can see why Substance Painter and Zbrush is commonly used, along with programs more specialized in fabric and hair simulations. But what is it about Maya/3DS/C4D/Modo thats is superior to blender?

I understand this might be a big list but give me a general idea.
>>
>>573287
there are not superior to blender. there is already a thread going about this.
the word you are looking for is "tool quality" because those 3D packages have hundreds of tools in them. i haven't noticed anything specifically weird with blender but maybe a few things like baking. but most people don't even bake in their respective packages,most people don't do textures in blender as well.
people here complain about hitting a wall with blender but so far they haven't posted any of their works to prove it. if you could provide a comparison shot of objects you made in both programs then i could start taking people here seriously
>>
I think it is good to try and at least get familiar with all the big 3D programs as a beginner.
That's what I did. In the past 3 months I "learned" (ofc not an expert but I did invest a lot of time and am comfortable with):

>3DS Max (with Vray and some Arnold)
>Blender
>Zbrush
>Substance painter
>Substance designer
>Worldmachine
>SpeedTree
>Unreal Engine
>Other tiny programs like xnormal and such

My point is that in the industry (and generally) you will use a lot of different tools which are specialized for specific parts of a pipeline, so I don't see the point in asking around what to "learn". You need to constantly learn as the technology advances and tools change, so don't try to pick something and be like "that's it, now I'm set", instead just take an action and start immersing yourself in everything. IMO it also helps you understand things better and see how everything works together.
>>
sweet god OP, thats me from about half year ago. But started converting into 3ds max and recently substance painter. You can master one software (blender for example) but by other you can do more advanced projects
>>
If a studio is able to use your model and all you are doing is modeling you should be fine. It's great to start out with. You don't need to learn python in order to create great things with it, it's the same way with how you don't need to learn maxscript in order to do great things with 3dsmax. I personally feel you should learn as many programs as possible because they all offer their own great advantages. Also that way when you are working on a production you can avoid any hiccups that are caused trying to transfer models. That said software doesn't make anything great, it is the artist so practice until you reach professional quality. Once you learn the foundation of 3d you can easily learn all the software and a lot of them are used because they can get stuff done to a professional level really quickly. As for people going it has a steep learning curve you just need to google what you are looking for and you will find it. Sculpting and texturing are fine in blender, but it is a thousand times easier in zbrush and substance painter. What I am trying to say it is fine to continue using blender or anything so long as you are aiming for production ready models because that is what places actually want and need. Don't limit yourself and be flexible because you will just make things harder for yourself sticking to one program think of learning the new software as an investment in time for future projects. Keep practicing
>>
>>573287
3DS/Modo modelling
Houdini simulation/vfx/animation
C4D motion graphics
Maya all kinds off stuff/hundred of tools
Basically Maya is the central hub of the whole pipeline where everything comes together.
Also Maya does character rigging /animation exceptionally well compared to all others.
>>
File: blender.jpg (99KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
blender.jpg
99KB, 700x525px
>>572725
Blender has been having some very bad days. It met the love of its life, and before it had time to catch its breath, it was shot down. Blender cried, really poured its tears out, for the first time in years. It wandered around in a stupor, vulnerable, alone, going through the motions, distracted by thoughts of how its dreams were crushed. It rendered a lot of scenes wrong and had to do them over. People got upset with it. People it thought it could trust. They said vicious, hurtful things about its user interface, just when it was feeling good about the effort it invested in getting into shape.

But then Blender took a good look at how far it's come. It got over its stupid obsession with making all of its button panels perfectly square. It improved its menu system to make its most useful tools and shortcuts more discoverable, and added new capabilities to the tools it already had. It quit drinking. It added a visual programming language for working with shaders. And you have to admit it looks pretty sharp in its new suit.

It knows it can never revisit what it experienced, but the emptiness doesn't hurt anymore. It knows that its commercial competitors, like Zbrush, can do things that are just beyond it. But that's all okay. It's comfortable with itself in a way it hasn't been for a long time. It has a place in the world, and at long last, it's found some closure.

You know what, anon? I think Blender's going to be just fine.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.