[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the point of having concave topology on the pupils/iris?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 10

What's the point of having concave topology on the pupils/iris? I keep seeing people make cartoony models like that but couldn't find any analysis on why.
>>
It's usually used with refracting corneas, which makes the eyes look convex anyway, but the concave nature of the stuff underneath is a little more realistic.
>>
File: animueyes1.jpg (279KB, 1202x849px) Image search: [Google]
animueyes1.jpg
279KB, 1202x849px
anime sculptures do the same thing, pic related
>>
>>569914
Dam, she's hot.
>>
Seems to me that the light hits it and creates realistic shadows. More and better depth perhaps.
>>
>>569938
have you ever and I mean EVER noticed concave or refracting corneas IRL? No? Well then it doesnt matter in 3D. Jesus sheeple
>>
>>569914
S-source?
>>
>>569941
Its a really obvious effect in real life and doing convex lenses in 3d makes it look like a puppet. Your real eyes are convex too with a layer of fluid on top creating the refraction effect. Why would you not want to replicate this?
>>
>>569914
It's a cheap approximation of how the iris reflects light that's taken over CG cartooning like a virus. You are a heretic in the CG world if you refuse to give your characters these horrible eyes.
>>
>>569946
>Its a really obvious effect in real life
how come I'm pushing 40 and havent noticed it even once IRL
>>
>>569959
>People are using easy tricks that look good to the masses to be lazy
THOSE BASTARDS.
>>
>>569967
My problem is how it limits character designs. All CG cartoons I see have cartoons with these same boring eyes. It literally looks like the same studio makes all these characters.
>>
>found source
>character is black
Disappointing. Nice tits though.
>>
>>569969
Eh. Most normies don't care. Personally I'm starting to hate CG movies because of this. They all look the fucking same.
>>
>>569914
Probably because that is the correct form of a pupil / iris.
This is hardly the limiting factor in unique design.
>>569967
How do these eyes differ from real life eyes? The iris is concave, and the cornea refracts the iris. What solution is more ideal than modelling as true to life as possible? You can still stylise this technique to create unique results.
>>
>>569974
I was making fun of him, I don't really agree with what he said. I do however agree that too many CG characters look the same now. It's really annoying to have so much same face going on.
>>
>>569914
She look like Noa from skydoll comics ( greats ! )
very well made
>>
>>569962
Because you aren't very observant and a poor artist.
>>
>>569941
You're saying you've never looked at an eye from a near front on angle, and noticed the iris is concave, then observed from a side angle that the cornea refracts the iris and appears convex?
I can recall observing this effect as a child in my cat's eye. I know i've observed it multiple times since.
You must be horribly blind to the world around you.
>>
File: kevin-xhuti-octavia-closeup.jpg (175KB, 1425x1620px) Image search: [Google]
kevin-xhuti-octavia-closeup.jpg
175KB, 1425x1620px
>>
>>570107
Howd u do tha hair
>>
>>570107
She looks like my ex ;_;
>>
>>570107
Major qt!
>>
File: 1484973422727.jpg (10KB, 319x370px) Image search: [Google]
1484973422727.jpg
10KB, 319x370px
>>570107
That's a prime example of how the choice of shading can completely ruin an otherwise really nicely done 3D artwork.

The way he did that model was obviously intended to go for a toony approach but for some reason he decided to use a (badly executed) realistic shading.

Especially the eyes became horrifying nightmare material because of this.
>>
>>570108
Seconding this, modelling hair seems horribly difficult, surely there's some tricks to making hair.
>>
File: 1472948066319.png (189KB, 406x564px) Image search: [Google]
1472948066319.png
189KB, 406x564px
>>570108
>>570125
At least in Blender it's a fucking piece of cake.

Basically you do a couple straight hair strand shapes. Maybe 4. Some fat and some thin strands.
You do complete hair by posing some bezier curves over the head and apply fitting hair strands you modeled to the particular bezier curve. Most of this is even quick copy+paste after the initial modeling and posing the strands is easy as fuck too.
>>
>>570127
>Blender
>easy
I don't think so. It's easy in your mind if it's full of Blender Foundation propaganda but when you actually do it, well, two months later and you'll be waiting for the next version that will supposedly solve all your problems.
>>
File: 1444930113698.jpg (118KB, 380x247px) Image search: [Google]
1444930113698.jpg
118KB, 380x247px
>>570129
A almost feel sorry for you. The blind hatred made you go full retard.
The concept is working in almost every 3D program by the way.
>>
>>570123
You wanted the guy to fall for the toon shading meme? I've seen many beautiful models get fucked over because of that shit.
>>
File: kevin-xhuti-octavia-front.jpg (161KB, 1425x1620px) Image search: [Google]
kevin-xhuti-octavia-front.jpg
161KB, 1425x1620px
better than 99% of /3/
>>
>>570134
yeah but this guy doesn't visit /3/
>>
>>570123
do you imply cell shading would make it look better?
cell shading is awfull
>>
>>570133
>>570136
>"toon" appropriate shading automatically means cell shading

no wonder everyone on this board achieves nothing
>>
>>570134

Is that suposed to be done the weave looks like plastic.
>>
>>570134
awesome character
this style is so pleasing and cute, but I don't want to make thi style, even though I'm trying to achieve stylized look on characters which I'm making...
>>
>>569914

stop posting my stuff thanks!
>>
>>570137
What is ""toon" appropriate" shading then?
>>
>>570196

Simple textures, sharp shadows and lots of subsurface scattering seems to be the way to go. Or just create a bit sharper shading with falloffs. I'd say 80% of the toon stuff just comes from the geometry itself.
>>
>>570198
This man knows his stuff.

Also, fucking work the brightness levels. You never see Plebney do dull or underexposed shit.
>>
>>570198
post some examples
>>
>>570257

Anything made by Pixar for the SSS and geometry stuff. For falloff shading stuff, one example would be TF2. Not the cinematics, but the in-game character models. For some reason they ditched the toon shading in the Source Film Maker videos.
>>
>>570171
I want to texture your work! I'm a good texture artist.. can I contact you on your website?
>>
File: index[1].jpg (22KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
index[1].jpg
22KB, 400x300px
>>570134
>that subtle leg fat sticking out over the stockings
>>
>>570266
So you want very render intensive stuff like subsurface scattering with real time shaders? Is that even possible?
>>
>>570134
i didnt know black woman can be so hot
>>
>>570349
>skindentation
>>570365
real time SSS exists
>>
>>570171
Kill yourself fucking faggot.
>>
>>570147

Can you give us some examples of what kind of style you're looking for?
>>
File: Capture.jpg (76KB, 1013x775px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
76KB, 1013x775px
>>570436
I'm kinda trying to be my own style, I hope it'll be likeable after some iterations, This is my second one. I'm not saying that it'll be very different or anything. but it does not look exactly like Disney or Anime.

I have posts of full body in previous WIP,
I made the goal to finish this character in a week, but after 2 days I got a freelance work, trhen I got another one and then another one... Soo I have not fulfilled my goal at all..
>>
>>569914
This isn't new.
Concave pupils is borrowed from sculpting.
Dating back over 1000 years, sculptors have cut the pupil out of the stone or clay to capture and sometimes emphasize that feature (gives the face a more realistic "pop").
3D digital artists that laser scan sculptures end up with this effect. Other 3D digital artists have recreated it on their own as well.
>>
>>570365
>subsurface scattering with real time shaders? Is that even possible?

rough real-time approximations of sss are common in aaa now

http://www.adriancourreges.com/blog/2015/11/02/gta-v-graphics-study/
>>
>>569941
>i haven't consciously noticed X before
>therefore X is unimportant for 3d art

this is why everything you make is shit.
>>
>>570471
Hardly an approximation, GTA V uses some sort of blur pass to fake SSS. It doesn't look so bad when you are playing but when you stop and look at it, half of it doesn't make sense.
>>
>>569962
You're probably a shit artist desu.
>>
>>570665
>fake SSS
>Hardly an approximation

???

what is fake sss if not an approximation of sss? anyway i remember even skyrim shipped with some really rudimentary sss effects. the characters had a prebaked sss mask that defined which parts of the body were to have a reddish tint. that's all you really need to call something an approximation of sss.
>>
>>570763
I'd like to think a SSS approximation would actually attempt to fake translucency.
>>
>>570107
she looks like my ex...........................
>>
>>569943
Kevin Xhuti
ArtStation
>>
>>569914
because that's their actual fucking shape
look in a mirror
jesus christ
>>
>>571119
>tfw your iris is so dark you can't tell where it ends and your pupil begins.
>>
>>570959
nice ex
>>
>>571119
Not really, but it does look better.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.