[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First Model - need advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: both.png (141KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
both.png
141KB, 1600x900px
I have an interst in going into modelling as a career as right now I am just doing it in my spare time for fun. This is my first model made in an actual legitimate program. (others done on autodesk student site "tinkercad") As this is my first model, I know that there are probably imperfections that I need to improve on. I (obviously) used Maya, and have access to other programs if you recommend them.

I want to improve and need some help from you gifted/experienced bastards out there :^ ) If need be, i can find a place to upload the file so you can view it fully, but I would really appreciate some feedback/critique as well as some tips/tricks for the future.

(also, does anybody know of some good tutorials out there about adding skeletons for animation, as well as adjusting the model for such actions (speech, walking/posing, facial expressions, etc)? also help with texturing?)

thanks again m8s

link to all images http://imgur.com/a/Rft2Z
>>
>>569672
>http://imgur.com/a/Rft2Z
antialiasing/10
>>
>>569673
haha off to a great start i suck
>>
>>569676
nah, the models are k I guess but the jaggy outlines are ruining it.
>>
>>569701
They look pretty close to the characters in the show and also considering they're your first models, they look good.
I do know some tutorials for character rigging, but they're for Blender so if you're using Maya they won't be helpful.
As for optimizing models for animating, usually that just means trying to avoid triangles if you can and generally making sure your topology is clean and following logic or muscle structure, specifically the muscles in the face.
>>
>>569760
I might be wrong about some stuff / there might also be some other stuff I haven't said, though. I'm not a professional.
>>
>>569761
blender stuff is fine - as i said i have access to other programs if you know how to convert stuff to them

thx for your input tho ;^ )
>>
its impossible to tell if your models aren't shit without seeing topo
>>
>>569797
by that do you mean like the wireframe?
(again, im new to this haha)

and would it be due to like triangles existing or something that would determine so? (also explain why those are bad cuz i havent ever learned why)
thx
>>
>>569799
yup i meant the wireframe. triangles are not that big a deal. if you want to know more look up animation topology, but if you want more specific feedback you should just post it.
>>
File: Untitled.png (501KB, 3176x1644px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
501KB, 3176x1644px
>>569800
kk
ill do a few angles but its kinda hard to see and im not sure which ones help or what youre looking for
>>
File: Untitled.png (452KB, 3176x1644px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
452KB, 3176x1644px
>>569840
o shit ignore previous just realized this exists
>>
>>569842
there are a lot of issues with the topology. The main ones that jump out at me is the number of unnecessary triangles, uneven density and stretched polygons. The back of the short character's head is a mess considering how simple a shape it is. It's a good first attempt but it's time to learn about good topology if you want to make good models.

With topology, especially for characters and animation you want to aim for even quads (that look as square as possible and not huge rectangles, and are all about the same size) and clever pole placement. Look up poles so you know what they look like (I'd post a pic but am on mobile) and how to use them instead of having to resort to a rat's nest of triangles in areas like the shoulders and base of legs. You didn't use any ngons from what I can see which is good. Some triangles are fine in areas that won't deform but it's still a good rule of thumb to avoid them.

I'd definitely recommend working lower poly than this as well. Most of all it's important you get the hang of good topology before moving onto rigging. The models as they are simply won't deform well. Though it wouldn't be a terrible idea to attempt to rig it just so you can understand why it's fucked - I wouldn't spend too much energy on it yet.
>>
>>569672
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV4XRgmTynY

This is the best indepth rigging tutorial I've seen, if you are seriously interested in rigging then start here. However if you don't want to make rigging your job it's not as important since there are people who JUST do rigging, and for your personal purposes you can just use HumanIK.
>>
>>569881
ok thanks thats really helpful :)
>>
>>569888
thankee sir :) i just want to get a general idea of everything to do with this sort of stuff rather than being a one-trick pony
>>
>>569890
Definitely go through that tutorial series then, it will help for sure. Don't feel like you have to finish it though, it's easy to get burnt out on it. Use your models for rigging following that tut, but they will need more joint edgeloops (elbows, knees, wrists, etc).
>>
>>569895
much obliged. i feel like this thread has really helped a lot you guys

so as a rule of thumb, i should generally keep my models low poly except in specific areas that I know are going to be deformed; correct?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.