[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

At what age should I give up and face the hard truth that I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: wojak-suicide-by-sea.jpg (52KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
wojak-suicide-by-sea.jpg
52KB, 400x400px
At what age should I give up and face the hard truth that I ain't gonna make it?

I'm 27 years old working in retail. I've slowly come to the realisation I won't be able to physically compete with adderall-addicted young graduates with no responsibilities in life, other than to please their employer. In the meantime there are people my age literally retiring from 3D to pursue more laid back advisory/consultancy roles.

>Thread theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIscL-Bjsq4
>>
put your retail money into bitcoins or something similar to bitcoins and forget about commercial 3d. Do it for fun.
>>
If you're not working in 3D then get a job in 3D you fucking retard

Literally the first and easiest step, if you've been working since you graduated then you should have enough banked to even comfortably freelance for a while.

If you have no money and no work experience then yes give up because you are a failure anyway
>>
>>569605
You shouldnt do design anything for money. Its just a bad idea. Being a teacher for 3d is way better than working at 3d and thats what im planning to do
>>
>>569605
I work for a small outsourcing video game company and it is the most laid back type of work, can't compare it to my previous job as a web developer, that shit was pure hell.
>>
>>569605
I'm 29 and getting back into 3D since 10 years ago, it's fine if you ask me, while it's definitely a more technical art form than many, artists are one of few privileged professions where you can work till you keel over. I know one artist that's 72 and still grinding away at it every day.

Adderall-addicted, RedBull-drinking youths are basically setting themselves up for a short creative life doing crunch work by overworking themselves. Your body can only handle so much, and pushing it past 100% when you're already in your prime is just ignorant, take it slow and steady and focus on the quality of your work.
>>
File: 448659.jpg (28KB, 354x259px) Image search: [Google]
448659.jpg
28KB, 354x259px
>>569605
Can you post some work to gauge your skill level? How long have you been doing 3d? I'm just curious what 's the general progress rate of people and were they give up
>>
>>569650
How can I acquire such a job
>>
>>569650
diffuse us on how you find these
>>
>>569698
I second this
>>
>>569667
Not OP but thanks for the post.
>>
>>569631
>>569667
just look around for outsourcing companies around you. It also depends on your skills obviously, build a portfolio if you don't have one to show you understand the process of creating low poly assets and then just try applying, ez.
>>
>>569605

I worked between between the age of 22-25 in the ps2 early ps3 era. Would go in at 8 leave at 12 at night. Its honestly not gratifying at all as you are just a cog in the machine. Way happier now with a factory job and doing the odd bit of fanart as a hobby.
>>
>>569805
Although I never worked in the game industry, I found this out in one of my 3d game classes I had.

You work long hours creating games and then you got to split the money made with each game with the publisher, developer, advertisement and shipping the game. And the developer only gets about 3-5 dollars for every game sold.

So you better hope your game is a AAA title or else your going under or about to.
>>
>>569698
>>569700
http://en.cdprojektred.com/jobs/
>>
don't go to a market that has no demand.

an average archviz studio can handle multiple projects at a time, so does a game asset studio.
even if there was enough work to go around, people aren't gonna contract random people online, they will go straight for a studio that have a pipeline and charge by hours or by hours.
and getting into the industry is really difficult if you don't live in the western part of the world. at most you will get hired by a company and get relocated to america but that's assuming that your'e better than american artists that have gnomon and shitload of learning material in english
>>
>>569605
Just stop focusing on modelling. It will be useless in 5 years anyway. Go toward something like rigging and simulation and you will find a job in no time.
>>
don't listen to >>569619
>>
>>571364
why not?
>>
>>569605
Do you know how vast 3D is? Build a portfolio and put it out there.
>>569619
cyptofaggit, out out out
>>
>>569605

3D Modelling is dying to be honest.

You look at substance designer and that is eating up texturing jobs. Soon companies will just buy substances from a store.

Outsourcing to chinese companies.

You need to make your own game. Download UE4, download substance share files, get C++ book by Bjarne, learn blueprints.

If that chinese guy could get serious backing from Epic himself to make a crappy Final Fantasy clone you can also make it.

I make good money now from patreon, but I had to do questionable things. Only you can dig yourself out of retail hell. You need to throw out the rulebook.
>>
File: 123154654654.jpg (20KB, 343x543px) Image search: [Google]
123154654654.jpg
20KB, 343x543px
>>569605
I feel like this too but I only started learning 3 months ago. I feel miserable every time when I think of how long it will take me to a job doing this (if ever) since I can only learn for 20-25 hours a week and will probably never be very good.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.