[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

blender help thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 346
Thread images: 100

File: blender_logo_square.png (135KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
blender_logo_square.png
135KB, 512x512px
>>
I need a translucent material for a render where they is light shining through cloth. In Keyshot there are a few materials with transluscency, how can I get something similar in blender?
>>
Just ask the community
>>
>>568226
isn't that what I'm doing?
>>
File: TRANS.png (396KB, 1881x805px) Image search: [Google]
TRANS.png
396KB, 1881x805px
what about something like this?
>>
>>568261
thanks for this!
>>
>>568262
the community has your back yo
>>
File: where did my lines go.png (501KB, 1920x2060px) Image search: [Google]
where did my lines go.png
501KB, 1920x2060px
I don't actually need help since the missing lines appear when I actually apply the modifier, but does anyone know why they were missing from the preview? If I'm just using quads, I should only get quads when I subdivide, yet two of the lines just sorta vanish in the preview and leave me with two pentagons on either side.

And while I'm posting this, any topo problems? Yes, I know the object as a whole is too flat.
>>
>>568653
Turn on "Draw All Edges" in the display settings of the object's properties.
>>
Is the guy who wanted a script/addon for making weighted normals still around? I kind of disappeared but I was just busy for awhile, I looked into it somewhat and I think I can get something done. Any more info you can give me on what exactly it is you want would be great.

I can successfully write scripts to edit custom normals on a mesh and all that myself, so as long as I can understand the mathematics of it(which shouldn't be too hard) I should be able to do it. Tonight I'm probably going to dig into that addon you introduced and see what I can take from it.

>>568211
Not sure if you got the answer you wanted but your question is too broad. Do you mean you want lights to produce visible rays through cloth? The color of the cloth itself to change? Light to still reach objects beyond the cloth? Etc. Many times the best/only answer is post-processing, and it also depends on whether you're using Blender internal or Cycles.
>>
>>568708
the plugin is great but i figured that blender already have normal edit modifier, the plugin just lets you visualize better
>>
>>568708
i wanted light to shine through cloth revealing objects behind it just like the community kindly supplied.
>>
When is the official 2.8 with Eevee coming out? I don't know if I should wait or download the unstable version.
>>
>>568827
2.79 isn't out yet. That comes sometime this or next month. So 2.8 probably won't be for at least another 2 months.
I tried unstable, it crashed while rotating the camera. I wouldn't use it at the moment...
>>
File: Oh god.jpg (54KB, 263x232px) Image search: [Google]
Oh god.jpg
54KB, 263x232px
Ever sicne switching to a new monitor with a new resolution, when muting a strip in the NLVE, the grayed out texture of the strip is flickering like crazy. How do I fix that.
It's burning my fucking eyes out.
>>
anyone know where the cache step is? im trying to apply soft body to...
something...
and i cant seem to find it anywhere
>>
Please, blendershits. I need this >>568793
>>
>>568708
I gave about all the info I could in the last thread >>566653. There's a blend4web addon that has the feature but only lets you weight the normals one face at a time instead of doing the entire object. I'm not so much interested in fully customizable and displayable normals, just batch face weighted.
https://www.blend4web.com/en/downloads/

They seem to have added in a hacky way to do it which will be in 2.79 but I haven't tested it.
https://developer.blender.org/rBdd6fa94dcc9fa6

http://polycount.com/discussion/85809/face-weighted-normals/p1
http://polycount.com/discussion/154664/a-short-explanation-about-custom-vertex-normals-tutorial/p1
http://www.bytehazard.com/articles/vertnorm.html
>>
i cant seem to import the skyrim xmpse skeleton at all and i really want to animate something
>>
File: 1492523457053.png (45KB, 739x566px) Image search: [Google]
1492523457053.png
45KB, 739x566px
Yes, how cans I help?
>>
Fairly new to blender and I am trying to hand paint a model, how ever when after uv unwraping and painting, what I save doesn't show back up after I quit the program and come back in
>>
File: 2017-06-24 00_46_14-Blender.png (23KB, 381x365px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-24 00_46_14-Blender.png
23KB, 381x365px
>>569293
say no more playa
>>
i need to know how to simulate a type of vacuum suction: like say a soft body mesh is being pulled through a tube.
further more, what do i do for my mesh after i bake my physics? is it impossible for them to interract with other objects?
>>
>>568210
Who is blender and how can he help me?
>>
>>569328
He can help you kill yourself faster, though I suggest ZBrush for that.
>>
>>568210

cool
>>
File: how.png (74KB, 1444x880px) Image search: [Google]
how.png
74KB, 1444x880px
How can I select a vertex that I can't see? I'm working in 'Front Ortho' but, whenever I need to select a vertex that is behind another, I have to change to 'User Perspective' view.
>>
File: 6464546.png (22KB, 1049x177px) Image search: [Google]
6464546.png
22KB, 1049x177px
>>570095
press Z for wireframe mode or click this little fucker
usually border select "B" helps the process of selecting more vertices at once
>>
>>570096
Thank you, anon!
>>
wat
>>
File: where are my faces.png (286KB, 1827x1057px) Image search: [Google]
where are my faces.png
286KB, 1827x1057px
Just started using Blender. I hit some key in edit mode and now my faces are invisible. How do I toggle them back?
>>
>>570281
press Z
>>
File: scrap.png (408KB, 2560x1397px) Image search: [Google]
scrap.png
408KB, 2560x1397px
>>568210

Literally just installed Blender a few hours ago, gone through a few '''basics''' videos on the interface.

Two questions though. In pic I want to select all the faces in the middle, but not the whole structure itself. Is there a way I can grab the faces I want in way similar to clicking and dragging a selection?

Secondly my practise entity is linked to the cube you get by default. I can't delete the cube without deleting my entity. How can I separate them both, like different layers?
>>
What's easier to get into, Blender or 3dsmax?

I want to model figurines/models for tabletop simulator but also with the potential option to 3D print and use IRL.

Last time I touched modelling programs were back in 2004, so I guess my questions are:

>Which is easiest to learn?
and
>Which best suits my purposes?
>>
>>570297
press B and drag.

>>570299
Max has nicer modelling tools IMO but licensing is expensive. The educational version is free and has all the same tools however if you ever want to make money off your work you could theoretically get in trouble for not using a licensed version.

The main reason why I use blender and not max or maya other than licensing is that blender loads in 2 seconds while maya takes 5 full minutes and max only a little less than that. In addition, Autodesk software is super unstable, crashes at the simplest operations and support is limited unless you pay for it.

Any of these programs can do what you want though so it's purely a matter of preference. Easiest to get into, there isn't much difference. Some people find blender cryptic but that's probably just because they're used to max or maya.
>>
>>570302
>press B and drag.

You a real G
>>
Navigating around the scene is pretty awful.

Shift+MMB is alright but going forward and back with zoom is where the trouble is. When I zoom my panning become really slow.

How can I move in and out without this fine point camera sensitivity?
>>
>>570312
That is a fuckup of Blender, i don't know exactly why it happens, but when it happens i press the , or delete key on the Num-pad and it zooms in and in 90% of all cases stops with that super-sensitivity bullshit.
>>
>>570302

I've got two entities now, one is inside the other.

Is there a proper way to join these two together, such as making the extruding separate entity start at the face of the other? Thanks again.
>>
>>570312
That's because your focus point is on different vert let's say. Press "." on numpad to focus where you want. Your zooming and panning should work okay if I understood you right
>>
>>570312
>>570313
it's not just a blender thing, it happens in maya and max too. you just need to reframe.
>>
>>570316
>>570312
you can also use freefloat camrea (shift+F)
also if you click camera to cursor the mouse will lock on the 3D cursor and you can pan around objects
>>
File: scrapf.png (375KB, 2560x1398px) Image search: [Google]
scrapf.png
375KB, 2560x1398px
>>570314
pic
>>
>>570314
>>570330
You look like you're using far too many faces and polys. Start with cylinders that have less faces and learn to subsurf model. The idea is you block out with basic shapes and then subdivide, adding in edge loops to control the shape and flow of the model. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkN1aLaNWxk&t=15s

There's no clean way to do that, I would use ctrl+shift+f intersect but you'll be left with ugly topology.
>>
>>570330
use dynatopo to make the tree. or simply use the tree plugin
its gonna be a little bit hard to make a tree in dynatopo but its going to give you free workspace to do retopology later on
>>
>>570330
Install a modern version of blender, retard
>>
File: oooh.jpg (52KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
oooh.jpg
52KB, 1280x720px
>>570330
>>570343
rekt
>>
File: error.png (54KB, 711x277px) Image search: [Google]
error.png
54KB, 711x277px
>try ProRender
>get this instead
>>
>>570314
You can also use a boolean modifier (union) as another option to what other anons have said. That said you're going to get shit topology and ngons.
>>
>>570312
press "5" on numpad.
you're in perspective view.
>>
>>570330
in edit mode press "a" to highlight your entire mesh.
press "spacebar" to bring up search box.
type in "intersect".
select it.
>>
Is it okay to texture models in Blender or should I use something less tedious? I don't even know where to begin.
>>
File: staff.jpg (303KB, 1351x1093px) Image search: [Google]
staff.jpg
303KB, 1351x1093px
I got two questions.

1. How can I separate my new shape from my existing one? Because they are both currently the same entity and I don't know how to take them apart.

2. When you put a new object down you have it all selected, but after working on my object a few times (extruding etc) it becomes more complex (many faces, edges etc) and selection becomes difficult (I used b + drag). Is there a way to grab it all?

Thanks in advance
>>
>>570634

Bonus question:

I trimmed a bunch of faces off of a heavy sleeve but I have no idea how I'm going to close the gap.

I tried extruding from some of the vertexes and use make edge/face to fill in but it doesn't work!
>>
File: oops.jpg (268KB, 1006x961px) Image search: [Google]
oops.jpg
268KB, 1006x961px
>>570635

Dang forgot to add pic
>>
LMAO ALL THESE NOOBS. GOSH I HAVE ONLY SPENT 2 DAYS LEARNING THE PROGRAM BUT I HAVE ALREADY GOT ALL YOUR ANSWERS. JUST GO ALONG A BEGINNER TUTORIAL BEFORE YOU TRY TO CREATE SOMETHING NEW FFS
>>
>>570637

I've watched at least three and a half hours of tuts and none of them cover my niché questions
>>
File: Untitled-ee1.jpg (142KB, 1200x720px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-ee1.jpg
142KB, 1200x720px
Does anyone know how I can create the shape for the box's roof on the right? This is the best I can get using the bevel tool.
>>
>>570634
P for separte by selection. You can join things later with ctrl+j. L with your mouse over what you want to select everything connected

You can select edge loops that have the same number of vertices and bridge edge loops. You can also use f to connect faces/edges/verts. I recommend the F2 addon that's included with blender.
>>
>>570651

You're a diamond.
>>
File: ss.png (102KB, 1537x500px) Image search: [Google]
ss.png
102KB, 1537x500px
>>570645
I used inset (i) several times on a plane. Then I turned on proportional editing (o) with sharp mode selected (experiment with the others) and moved the innermost plane upwards and added a subsurf modifier. Make sure proportional editing is turned off with O. Next I added two edge loops with ctrl+r and scrolling up once, scaled them along the x axis. Repeated for two more with the y axis. Add a support loop (in pink) on the last section before the top. Can't remember if I inset the top or not but after that it's all about editing edgeloops (g-g) and adjusting subdivision levels to get the shapes you want.

I included the picture for illustration, the final was completed before I thought to do the example images.

Good stuff on topology.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFL24N8G8ow&index=17&list=PLxt9ZAGPLIpeB8TcHrpzxvEI4Ve3SfZBC
>>
How do I get multiple objects unwrapped on the same uv map and have all of their maps visible at once?
>>
>>570632
well yeah its ok if you know the texture painting function from upclose. it can get powerful if you really study it. but only for handpainted stuff. don't expect to make metal's and leather in it.
>>570645
some extrude, a little bit of scale and loop slide and maybe inset. i can probably show how if you want to
>>570683
you can't. the best you can do is to either have a few materials because every material can hold 1 texture or you can make several UV channels if you have extra UV space and do texture swapping later
>>
>>570685
I want to unwrap an object onto the same texture as being used by another object. When I edit it, I want everything else visible so nothing overlaps. You're telling me there's no way to do this?
>>
>>570686
you just join both objects. click L to select the new object and unwrap him. it will appear in the new map. or unwrap everything if it already have seams and it will arrange everything to 1 map
>>
File: Untitled.png (65KB, 531x594px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
65KB, 531x594px
>>570687
So what is this option then and how come it works for some objects, but not others?

If I select object 1, then 2 and edit, both come up on the texture but not if I select object 2, then 1. I'm so confused.
>>
>>570691
to avoid this shittery just join all objects you want before unwrapping
>>
>>570692
I can't for various reasons so I'll have to find someway around this. It has to be a bug cause everything I've seen regarding this problem is solved by selecting that option. I tried it in 2.78.5 as well and doesn't work there either.
>>
>>570695
that's weird. never happened to me. maybe you are creating an extra uv channel by mistake. check your object data
>>
>>570696
I seem to have it working. None of the objects had a material before so I made every object share the same one and that looks like it solved it. I just started using Cycles for the first time and I'm so used to the workflow of the internal engine so I guess it's a user error.
>>
>>570686
This is getting worked out I think in 2.79.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brnaAL-QwhU#t=12m5s
>>
File: file.png (226KB, 1192x978px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
226KB, 1192x978px
I want to tell blender to stop my loop subdivides at an edge loop I choose. How do I make it stop seeing the surface as contiguous with as little work as possible?

I can't figure out how better to explain it, so I hope my image does a good job
>>
>>571035
left click twice
>>
File: ID.png (1MB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
ID.png
1MB, 900x900px
How do I get rid of those multicolored specs on the tiles? Pic is a lower res render I took, but even if I turn up the sampling and resolution I still shows those specs.
>>
whats the best way to model from a picture?
>>
File: file.png (74KB, 1098x620px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
74KB, 1098x620px
>>571041
either I'm misunderstanding your answer, or you're misunderstanding my question.

left clicking twice just results in me placing the edge loop.
I want A, but I get B

on a more complex model, I don't want to have to manually remove everything past whatever edge (represented by the dotted line) I want the loop to stop at. I want to know if there's anything I can do to the edge, or any input I can specify when adding a new edge loop, that will tell it "do not go past [my selection] edge"
>>
>>571046
select the edges you don't want and delete and select dissolve edges
>>
>>571046
The functions don't work in the way you want unless you wrote a script for it. You have to dissolve the edges or terminate the loop beforehand by making topology that it can't loop through.
>>
>>571048
Forgot to mention, you probably want something more like the knife tool than loop tool. It has options like this to cut through an object.
>>
>>571048
>>571047
thanks for the answers bros

does anyone know what the rules are for an edge loop to be able to travel through a face?

right now, all I'm aware of is that the face/polygon must have 4 sices for Create Edge Loop to be able to recognize it as something it can traverse. Is there any documentation anywhere on how the function works more specifically?
>>
I didn't know this shit had a video editor, is it any good? Do they update it often or is it just a thing they added to blender and forgot about it?
>>
>>571051
here are the rules:

all of your faces must be quads
all of your faces must be new (either from a primitive or extrusion. sometimes making a loop over a filled face doesn't work)
when the face is too distorted or small to have a loop go through it
the function you are using is called loopcut and slide which is supposed to be automatic as possible. it shouldn't be specific. because if it was specific you would model at snail's pace.

>>571052
i read a review about it. it said that the video editor is the best video editor there is. but don't expect sony vegas level of editing
>>
>>571053
best free video editor*
>>
>>571053
you're the best
>>
File: file.png (283KB, 1920x1040px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
283KB, 1920x1040px
is there a way for me to select a specific vertex as the pivot point for rotation?
>>
>>571065
>select the vertex you want
>shift + s - cursor to selected
>go to object mode
>go to object - transform - origin to geometry (or just type it in search)
>>
>>571066
whoops meant origin to 3d cursor. not to geometry
>>
>>571066
>>571069
shit, that was easy and googlable
thanks for taking the time to respond
>>
>>571046
A less destructive way to do this would be to separate the part of the mesh you want to loop cut, then rejoin it when you're finished.
>>
File: add thickness.png (7KB, 854x279px) Image search: [Google]
add thickness.png
7KB, 854x279px
How do I extrude an edge or face out to add thickness the way I did in pic related while preserving the form and keeping consistent thickness?

So like in the image, you could try just highlighting everything, pressing E, then scaling it outward to make the outer arc larget, but that wouldn't be precise. It'd be better to put the 3D cursor in the center of the arc then scale it out from that point to preserve the structure, that way it actually looks like the cross-section of a quarter of pipe rather than one arc that's just sorta glued onto another arc. And that's easy enough, but how do I replicate this process for more complex things? I think what I want to do is extrude out from the normals.
>>
>>571094
you could just use solidify depending on thr object.
>>
File: ss+(2017-07-08+at+06.24.53).png (9KB, 467x542px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-07-08+at+06.24.53).png
9KB, 467x542px
>>571094
There are two ways. Either Alt+S to scale along the normals or I to inset while holding control to just inset outwards, but be careful and check your vertex normals shown in pic related. The bottom left vertex points outward the coordinate line, that means its normal is not pointing at a 180 degree angle from the origin, I don't why that is, but if you have a support vertex like in the top, its normal is proper. Having studied computer graphics, it's probably due to how a normal of a vertex is calculated from its neighbouring verteces, so your best bet to actually achieving a proper arc scale is to just have a face in the end of the arc that's perpendicular to the center.
>>
File: ss+(2017-07-08+at+06.33.46).png (6KB, 348x348px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-07-08+at+06.33.46).png
6KB, 348x348px
>>571098
pic related.
>>
>>571097
>>571098
danke
>>
>>571098
i'm not an expert either but adding to this, from my knowledge/testing/intuition faces are required for blender to determine a direction. so, make supporting faces(and recalculate normals because if you're extruding from pure vertices/edges the resulting face normals can be inconsistent).

>>571094
a couple other options that haven't been mentioned are:
1. the skin modifier
2. the screw modifier(or operator if it exists--i can't remember)
3. if you really want to convert a single line of raw vertices into a mesh and accomplish this, you might consider converting it into a curve object. especially for more complicated shapes than what you've got there, this may be the only real method suited to the job, because everything else mentioned so far gives you no freedom as to angle of extrusion around the axis tangent to the edges.

to do 3:
1. exit edit mode
1b. back-up the mesh with shift+d
2. hit alt+c
3. select curve from mesh
4. inside the curve options configure the extrude, bevel, twisting, etc. options as desired
5. adjust tangent extrude angle(or, tilt) by going into edit mode, selecting vertices and adjusting the tilt with shift+t

this should allow you to do what you're trying even if you want the mesh to twist around in 3d space and whatnot, which other options won't allow you to do.

sadly there's no real way to simply DO IT with that much power on a mesh object, but conversely if you're extruding from raw vertices there's almost no loss if you just convert it to a curve.

it's a pain, but even if you have data that would be lost on conversion to curve you can restore it using the data transfer modifier. just make sure to keep a backup of the original mesh.
>>
File: sakugagrid-nichijou_01-05.webm (3MB, 800x750px) Image search: [Google]
sakugagrid-nichijou_01-05.webm
3MB, 800x750px
>>571052
>>571054
Just tried it to make a shitosting cinegrid, it does get the job done but it can be very laggy, and moving/scaling the clips feels so hacky, you need "transform layers" on top of the clip, and the units they use make no sense half of the time, specially when you have a workspace that isn't the same aspect ratio as the videos in question. Blender's video editor definitely needs a revamp to make it less retarded, but I guess it works. I could be using premiere but I'd need to either convert and waste space on my drive or demux the MKVs and haven't found a good application that does this well, videos always end up with glitches.

Here's the thing I made, just a collection of sakuga moments from episode 1 through 5 of Nichijou.

https://u.nya.is/zcnacd.mp4
>>
File: screwit.png (89KB, 1276x678px) Image search: [Google]
screwit.png
89KB, 1276x678px
>>571233
yeah, i just went and checked and while there is a screw operator it's not capable of what you're looking for, nor is the modifier except in some respects.

i'd say the solutions the other guys posted(solidify, alt+s, etc.) are about as good as you can get for a quick and dirty job without scripting. if you have a more complex/twisting desired shape, i'd personally recommend converting to curve.

last thing i'd mention is a little interesting tidbit(and why i thought of the screw modifier).
the screw modifier is unique because it's the only modifier that can generate faces from pure edges while not moving the original vertices. a resulting trick that's sometimes nice is using screw and then solidify it gives you some extra geometry you might not want but deleting it isn't hard and it preserves the original vertices.

this is pretty much the only way i know of to get what you want with modifiers, completely non-destructively. as in, you don't have to change anything about the mesh(like extrude), this works just with the modifiers on raw vertices.
>>
>>571235
for something like that I'd probably use ffmpeg to extract the frames of the scenes and then either make the video frames into images with graphicsmagick/imagemagick into ffmpeg or just use ffmpeg with multiple video inputs. Blender's video editor is almost passable, I've only used it for transitions or stuff I couldn't easily do with ffmpeg. It's a lot easier to do basic video editing with a commandline and tools over Blender but Blender can do nice things with compositing or colorgrading without having to install an actual or pirated video editing program.
>>
Finally finished my model, it's a figurine for use in TTS. Textured it up and unpacked them into a separate folder with the .obj. I don't know where exactly I went wrong but the textures aren't showing on the .obj.

Side note, in TTS you need both a .obj and a texture file, but I've got about 12 separate textures for each individual poly in separate scenes. What am I looking for in order to make all the textures combine into one file yet maintain their alignment on the figurine?
>>
>>571279
Can you even make a grid like that with ffmpeg alone?
>>
Can you go back to something you were working on that you closed without saving or am I fucked?
>>
>>571288
Blender makes an auto save every 2 minutes. On the file tab theres an option to restore the last autosave
>>
>>571288
Yes, blender auto saves whatever it is you're working on every time you quit. Look for quit.blend somewhere in your directory.
>>
File: 1483183602018.jpg (11KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
1483183602018.jpg
11KB, 210x240px
>>571289
>>571290
Oh jesus christ thank you.
>>
File: fafaafa.png (18KB, 537x510px) Image search: [Google]
fafaafa.png
18KB, 537x510px
Whenever I subdivide a cylinder it ends up looking like pic related, how fix?
>>
>>571312
Don't use subdivide smooth, just subdivide
>>
>>571312
you cant subdivide ngons
>>
So I joined all my entities together and exported the UV map but it's blank. It shows the UV map lines but none of the actual textures which I applied have been exported.

It's annoying because in the 3D viewer I can see my model perfectly textured and coloured, I exported the .obj and now I just need to have all the textures in a single file.

P-please help
>>
>>571329
>So I joined all my entities together
what entities?
>It shows the UV map lines but none of the actual textures which I applied have been exported.
huh? you don't export UV maps. the UV map exists only in the object data. either in your blender file or in other format (.obj/.fbx/.3ds) etc.
you probably export UV layout which helps artists to texture in photoshop. if you want to export your texture you need to load the texture you are using in the image editor and click image- save as image
>>
File: 2017-07-09 19_32_53-Blender.png (90KB, 1885x800px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-09 19_32_53-Blender.png
90KB, 1885x800px
>>571331
>>
File: stuff.png (567KB, 2560x1371px) Image search: [Google]
stuff.png
567KB, 2560x1371px
>>571331

How do I explain this, it is very complicated.

I am making a model figure, I had 16 polys in separate scenes all painted/textured in Blender.

I exported the .obj and it worked fine, now I just need the textures. Problem is I have 16 textures that now need to be in one large single texture.

I've spent the past day and a half figuring it out and I'm just so defeated at this point.
>>
>>571333
>16 different textures
oh my god dude.
you should have 2 textures at most. learn how to unwrap and stop uv project everything
>>
>>571333
give me your file and ill show you how to do it
>>
>>571337

At this point I'm feeling like I'm ready to move onto the next project and do it properly this time.

If you can by any chance salvage this by generating a diffuse image that I can wrap around the .obj then I'd be eternally grateful famalam.

https://my.mixtape.moe/zgwjek.7z
>>
>>571339
before im gonna fix your file there is a few pointers you need to know before moving on

1. never texture in cycles.
2. everything should 1 material (or 2 if for weapons)
3. 1 material = 1 texture
4. uv project is bad because its breaking apart polygons into groups of 2 or 3 polygons and it kills your texture space
>>
File: crap.png (2MB, 1025x1299px) Image search: [Google]
crap.png
2MB, 1025x1299px
>>571334
>>571337

This is the end result. I ended up using the primary texture which was most of the body. It's not a great result but it's a learning experience.

>>571341

Thank you for the input, this is something I'm going to take to heart especially after this experience.
>>
File: screen-uvmapping.png (288KB, 1920x1058px) Image search: [Google]
screen-uvmapping.png
288KB, 1920x1058px
>>571342
i just reviewed your file and some things came up.

1. everything is triangulated so it means i can't select loops and unwrap it properly
2.use smooth shading to give a more appealing look to your model.
3. never triangulate anything in general unless its done after unwrap
4.learn how to traditionally unwrap things with seams. there are plenty of vids on youtube.

and finally here is an example of a character unwrap in blender. which i didn't do but i think its a great example.
watch borncg tutorial on unwrapping and character creation. good luck
>>
>>571344

Yeah it's not great. I started with an imported .obj and worked around it, modified it a bit but my technique was really gruesome.

It started life quite high poly but I needed to cut it down to under 20k tri/faces for it to import to TTS.
>>
>>571346
at your level you shouldn't be touching highpoly at all. you can create humanoid characters polymodeling and do it cleanly.
if you don't watch more tutorials, you work more in blender. your ideal scenario is to learn more and work less
>>
>>571347

I agree completely, I'm going to start my next project by manipulating simple polys but I'm motivated now after messing around with this.
>>
>>571341
This is wrong in a few ways. You can have multiple textures per material. The diffuse, specular/metal/rough etc. And it's not uncommon for there to be 3 or so different materials/textures for a character in a game. For instance you have one UV map for the head (highly detailed), one for the body, and one for the weapon.

I would highly recommend starting simple and watching/following a few basic UV and texturing tutorials to wrap your head around the concept
>>
>>571351
>You can have multiple textures per material.
yeah but he has 16 albedo textures for 16 materials. im just giving basic directions here.
>>
>>571346
>>571349
If you're coming from a sculpt then you need to retopo it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hEHtKH55Us

Look up some reference for things like faces and loops you should have if you want to animate. High poly with no retopo is fine if you plan on not posing it much but texturing/materials is work unless you can efficiently mask or split the parts.
>>
>>571353
Yeah I understand where you're coming from, I just didn't want him to go forward thinking he could never have more than 1 set of UVs for a character or 1 texture map because his reply made it sound like he took it very literally.

Texturing and UVing seems really esoteric until it 'clicks'. It was probably the thing that confused me the most in the whole process.
>>
>>571357
the number of people who do their own handmade specular and emission textures in blender is 0 exactly (from what iv seen) usually people take their files to substance painter or something similar.
i do hold alot of respect for people who use blender painting capabilities to the fullest. darine lile is a good example.
>>
File: 87897.png (79KB, 3010x963px) Image search: [Google]
87897.png
79KB, 3010x963px
Hello.
How to pic related?
How can I remove rotation of the horizon by pressing one button? Numpad 1, 3, 7 kinda manage it but they also removes rotation to all other axises so it's not exactly what I'm trying to find.
>>
>>571404
You can't. There's an option in the input where you can switch between trackball and turntable viewport rotation. Choose turntable, and your camera won't ever roll.
>>
I'm working on an interior render and running into some issues. I'm having difficulty setting up the lighting (using an HDR, also the filmic add-on if that matters) and just not enough light is entering the room, which is resulting in a lot of noise still at 1000 samples. I have clamp indirect to .35, filter glossy to .27, am using the denoiser, and turned off caustics.

I'd appreciate any tips on the best way to light interior scenes and cut down on noise.
>>
>>571416
are you using cycles? well there isn't much you can do to get rid of the noise. noise is pretty much a part of cycles unless you use CUDA GPU or can afford really high samples (more than 3k is too much anyway)
this is a problem with cycles and hopefully will be fixed in the future. i have been rendering for quite a while in cycles and its getting on my nerves. never had an issue with Iray

the best way to solve this issue is to use GPU rendering, lower bounces,share more materials between objects,duplicate link any identical objects that you might have. and most importantly use portal lights.
yeah i don't think cycles is good for interiors right now, maybe ill buy corona if they don't fix it
>>
>>571422
oh and increase the exposure manually if you are using filmic. it might help. GI is just gonna saturate your lights
>>
>>571416
Not sure of your scene. Are you using portals?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oveSskhIEAc
>>
>>571424
Thanks I'll try this. Increase it under Render (film) or color management?

>>571422
Yes I'm using cycles. Unfortunately I can't do GPU rendering. It doesn't work on my laptop (which to be fair is like 6 years old). I'll try lowering the bounces and adding portal lights.

>>571427
I knew OF portal lights but didn't realize how helpful they could be. This looks great. I'll be trying this now, thanks!
>>
Is there a way to bevel an edge temporarily much like the bevel modifier, without using the bevel modifier? The modifier doesn't go far enough and I want a temporary bevel so I can apply later once I've made adjustments.
>>
File: 3434543.png (221KB, 1920x1040px) Image search: [Google]
3434543.png
221KB, 1920x1040px
Why do all this red elements stop reacting to any my interactions? (all non-red elements interacts well)
>>
>>571436
>rendering on a laptop
>cpu only
Don't do this, you can build a cheap renderfarm (just a desktop + old gpu from the list of compatiable gpus) and have that do your rendering while you use your laptop for modeling.

For added bonus, you can even setup that desktop computer to accumulate Sheep-It render credits so that you can have Sheep-It do your final archviz render (archviz, unless done with Unreal or the like, always requires a trillion samples to look good)

What I do on my laptop is just use Emission shaders knowing I'm only doing the modeling part as everything else (lighting, rendering, compositing) I'm going to have to do somewhere else (or by remoting into my desktop).
>>
>>571452
Unfortunately I don't have a desktop and can't afford to build one. Blender has been a fun hobby for me and my laptop has served me fairly for the most part, though I have hit a wall with what I can do on it.
>>
>>571451
holly shit that's weird
>>
File: mushi.png (83KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
mushi.png
83KB, 225x225px
>>571470
It's probably because of I rebuild tons of shortcuts and broke something along the way
>>
File: 89789.png (8KB, 303x91px) Image search: [Google]
89789.png
8KB, 303x91px
>>571451
>>571472
I also tried to do something with fullscreen and now Blender shows me this kind of strings anywhere. What do you thing it wants me to do?
>>
>mfw trying to animate a basic human model in Blender

I want to kys. Someone fucking help me, what are the best tutorials online about this?
>>
>>571510
there are no tutorials for animation, you just kinda do it.
if you know dick about animation watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhQY2_gVoVg

this might help too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYiAd_08-0k
>>
>>571510
It sucks but is what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFt_AvWsXl0fEx02iXR8uhDsVGhmM9Pse
>>
>>571510
blender's animation system is pretty amazing, especially if you know python.

i don't know if there are any tutorials that are that great, but i could suggest learning how to use IKs and how to control motions with path objects using the follow path constraint on bones in pose mode. i think there's even a way to convert existing motions to path objects and adjust them. if not i would create it myself.

it gets complicated if you've got an advanced rigging setup, but in general blender's ik system is flexible and easy to use.

blender's animation system does have its flaws which keep it from shining, but at heart it's a really powerful concept+system. i wish they would focus on it more.
>>
>>571510
i feel u...i've been struggling with this shit all day...i'm trying to do cloth physics simulations on hair, then export the animations to an .mdd file, then import the shape keys in the .mdd file onto a duplicate mesh of the hair w/ the cloths physics removed. it basically works...more or less...but now i want to have 2 actions and separate sets of shape keys linked to both. for some reason i can't get blender to switch between one set of shape keys for one action and one set of shape keys for the other. i have to manually change them, and that's no good.

i'd appreciate any help...but i'm about 95% certain no one knows what i'm talking about..
>>
i'm sure nobody cares but i'm thinking of just posting a script a day or something.

i think i must have something like 20,000 lines of blender script code(of varying quality and usefulness) i've written for myself lying around so why the hell not.

if it gets annoying i guess i'll stop. if i even continue, pretty unlikely.

i'll post the first one after this post because i think the separation would be better and i'm OCD.
>>
>>571599
https://pastebin.com/5GeSsQya
there's the first pile on the trash heap.

what it's for:
--helping use curves to control stuff more intuitively by setting up a curve object visually aligned with what it controls.

why it exists:
--when you use things like the curve modifier, follow path, etc. blender uses a curve's first vertex's offset from 0,0,0(world, not object) to calculate deformation. this means the curve HAS to be at 0,0,0 xyz, which means, for most use cases, it can't be visually aligned with what you're working on, which is extremely unintuitive. unlike many things in blender to my knowledge this can't even be changed by creative use of parenting relations or constraints. by creating a proxy curve and aligning it to the target, you can get around this and line up your curve visually with the mesh.

what it does:
--duplicates the active object. finds the first selected(and not active) object. places the copied curve on an element of the active object, or if sel_to_active isn't true, the 3d cursor.
--it will assign the position of the copied curve to a selected vertex or a bone, depending on whether a mesh or armature object is selected
--i'm bad at math so the position matching might be buggy, on the off chance anyone uses it and cares bitch about it here

usage:
--select a(ONE) mesh or armature
--select a(ONE) bone or vertex where you want the proxy curve to be
--select a curve
--run

notes:
blender creates paths with end vertices at x = -2 and 2 , but for controlling external objects you should probably shift them so the first vertex is at 0,0,0 xyz.
>>
File: garbage.png (163KB, 1889x598px) Image search: [Google]
garbage.png
163KB, 1889x598px
>>571601
here's a visual example showing its functionality. left two show use with an armature, right is with a mesh
>--select a curve
>--SHIFT SELECT a curve
fixed. when you run the script there should only be two selected objects, the active should be a curve and the selected either a mesh or an armature. for now, anyway.

other shit i forgot to mention:
--intended use, specifically, is one of either:
A)for armatures: controlling a bone with the follow path constraint
B)for meshes: using the curve deform modifier
--the copied curve is given the active object's name + "_CPROXY". you can change it if you like but who cares
--the script places the active object in the last layer of the scene and removes it from any other layer. this is in hopes of allowing you to just look at the proxy and not having to worry about the original.
--the proxy and the copy share mesh data, so any changes made to the proxy will also alter the original. that's why it works at all, actually.

hopefully i won't be making fucking walls of text every time i do this but it's hard to help myself...
i can add a lot more to this if anybody gives a shit, this is pretty much nothing. just duplicate an object, detect an object type, and copy a relevant position. tired of typing.
>>
>>571593
whatever your problem is i can almost definitely help with it if it's possible, but you're right in that i'm not sure i completely understand. in the first place i don't know why you're using an mdd file. you're just trying to bake a physics animation onto a mesh, right?

in any case, if you really want help i think the first step would be uploading a project file, and maybe try being a little more precise in describing what exactly it is you want regarding switching between shape key/action sets.
>>
>>571578
what people don't understand about animation in blender that the system has a whole is much deeper than they think.
most people think animation is just laying down keys on timeline and relegating that to an action but there is so much more to it.
>>
>>571620
[spoil]:)[/spoil]
>>
>>571621
why /3/ is so passive aggressive?
>>
I've just finished compiling Blender 2.78 on my Raspberry Pi 3. The only nasty part was OpenEXR because Raspbian comes with version 1 and Blender requires version 2 even if you disable it. I'm impressed because it runs in software mode (llvmpipe), I'm less impressed by Blender itself because it's a 20 years long useless turd.
>>
What bothers me the most is that they don't even bother trying to hide complexity in general, they just expose it in a cryptic and revolting-looking user interface.
>>
File: file.png (10KB, 479x479px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
10KB, 479x479px
>suddenly the faces I extrude are blue instead of grey
????????????
Do faces have sides
it doesn't seem to affect sweet fuck-all, but it's just a little annoyance in the back of my mind
>>
File: 2017-07-11 20_08_07-Blender.png (69KB, 1221x617px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-11 20_08_07-Blender.png
69KB, 1221x617px
>>571668
yes. faces have 2 sides.
if you ever heard the term backface culling. it refers to the engine drawing double faces on models with just 1 side. if its just a stripe of quaded polygons.

tl;dr
click A then ctrl +N
>>
>>571669
thanks for the info, + the actual term
>>
File: 1487596865491.jpg (125KB, 1154x800px) Image search: [Google]
1487596865491.jpg
125KB, 1154x800px
I'm sorry for most likely stupid questions, but after years of wanting to learn to model but being too lazy/stupid to actually do it, I've decided to start learning right now.

I'm trying to make a phone. I cannot get these faces to merge on the border so that I can bevel it easily. If I go to remove doubles, it says there's nothing there. If I select all the faces and press F, it says "Could not create merged face"
>>
>>571672
Nevermind, I figured it out. Sorry for being retarded.

I switched to vertex mode and even though Blender didn't detect duplicates, there were some duplicate edges caused by unnecessary vertices. So I just manually combined them and removed the doubles. I'm not sure if there's a better way to do it though.
>>
I noticed this guy topologized with a generous amount of triangles but then used a multires modifier. Does that convert everything to quads afterwards? Am I just wasting my time avoiding triangles at all costs if it can be converted to quads with multires?

https://youtu.be/9jNv6O3KABc
>>
>>571672
>>571674
in the toolbar or if you hit F6 after doing the remove doubles command, you can change the merge distance to a higher value so it merges verts farther away from each other.
>>
>>571708
Ah, thank you anon. I wasn't aware of that. That should make things easier from now on.
>>
>>571704
*yes and yes
*it sometimes depends on where the tris are, and if there are too many of them close to each other things can get a little funky, but generally a mesh smooth operation will convert tris to quads when it adds more edge loops by terminating some of those loops on the edge of a tri.
It is still better to try and avoid tris but if you need to terminate an edge loop and making a tri will save wrapping around the entire mesh and ruining your face ratios then it is better to do so.
>>
>>571674
>Am I just wasting my time avoiding triangles at all costs if it can be converted to quads with multires?
as the above poster said, it depends. i'll give you some conditions, i guess.
--will your model be subdivided? then no
--is your model static or will it deform? yes if it is static and will not be subdivided, no otherwise
--is the surface flat? then yes
--will it need to be extended/connect to other geometry? then no

in general, subdivision leans on topology. it's not a waste to plan it and do it yourself. automated topology often produces things called spiral edge loops which are pretty unworkable and can sometimes span the entire mesh. i'd say the only automated topology worth relying on at present is probably zbrush's zremesher, but it's not perfect either.

in any case learning topology in 3d is slightly analogous to learning to do mental multiplication in math. computers can do it for you to a degree, but it's not good to lean on it too much because it can become an issue virtually any time, in places where using automated retopology is simply not an option(you can't just auto-retopo a model deep into the production process if you find a topo issue--well, usually). so if nothing else it's worth doing for the practice if it's still unnatural to you.
>>
File: 1498741152254.png (144KB, 380x304px) Image search: [Google]
1498741152254.png
144KB, 380x304px
Why do Blender create new window every time I use shortcut containing Shift? How can I fix it?
>>
>>571966
restore default settings in settings
>>
File: 1497484687859.jpg (10KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1497484687859.jpg
10KB, 200x200px
>>571967
but I [b]NEED[/b] my fucked up custom shortcuts. Help me somehow without defoulting everything.
Maybe I can somehow deactivate ability to create new windows at all or something?
Please?
>>
Why does Blender ships with a 70 dpi default monitor setting? Does the Blender Foundation wants people to become visually impaired? Computer monitors are 90+ dpi and it's been like that for 15 years at least. But Blender, no, it ships with 70 dpi by default so that the fonts are too small not to cause eye damage.
>>
File: 8678897.png (284KB, 1920x1040px) Image search: [Google]
8678897.png
284KB, 1920x1040px
>>571966
>>571968
fixed
>>
>>568210
I'm looking for recommendations for a good tutorial for modeling hands and arms for first person view
>>
>>571989
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hK-yQzdkKA
>>
>>571969
to my knowledge you can scale the menu's
>>
anyone here subscribed to blender101?
>>
File: wasted_lives.webm (1MB, 639x600px) Image search: [Google]
wasted_lives.webm
1MB, 639x600px
>>571284
>tfw terminal autism

[code]ffmpeg -i episode1.avi -i episode2.avi -i episode3.avi -i episode4.avi -i episode5.avi -filter_complex "[0:v]trim=256:261,setpts=PTS-STARTPTS,scale=iw/3:-1,fifo[a1];[0:v]trim=920:925,setpts=PTS-STARTPTS,scale=iw/3:-1,fifo[a2];[0:v]trim=997:1002,setpts=PTS-STARTPTS,scale=iw/3:-1,fifo[a3];[1:v]trim=497.5:503.5,setpts=PTS-STARTPTS,scale=iw/3:-1,fifo[b1];[1:v]trim=583:588,setpts=PTS-STARTPTS,scale=iw/3:-1,fifo[b2];[1:v]trim=1298:1303,setpts=PTS-STARTPTS,scale=iw/3:-1,fifo[b3];[2:v]trim=319:324,setpts=PTS-STARTPTS,scale=iw/3:-1,fifo[c1];[2:v]trim=471:476,setpts=PTS-STARTPTS,scale=iw/3:-1,fifo[c2];[2:v]trim=597.5:602.5,setpts=PTS-STARTPTS,scale=iw/3:-1,fifo[c3];[3:v]trim=131:136,setpts=PTS-STARTPTS,scale=iw/3:-1,fifo[d1];[3:v]trim=469.1:474.1,setpts=PTS-STARTPTS,scale=iw/3:-1,fifo[d2];[3:v]trim=1280.7:1285.7,setpts=PTS-STARTPTS,scale=iw/3:-1,fifo[d3];[4:v]trim=502.3:507.3,setpts=PTS-STARTPTS,scale=iw/3:-1,fifo[e1];[4:v]trim=880.485:885.485,setpts=PTS-STARTPTS,scale=iw/3:-1,fifo[e2];[4:v]trim=1021:1026,setpts=PTS-STARTPTS,scale=iw/3:-1,fifo[e3];[a1][b1][c1][d1][e1]vstack=inputs=5:shortest=1,fifo[stack1];[a2][b2][c2][d2][e2]vstack=inputs=5:shortest=1,fifo[stack2];[a3][b3][c3][d3][e3]vstack=inputs=5:shortest=1,fifo[stack3];[stack1][stack2][stack3]hstack=inputs=3:shortest=1" -an -c:v vp8 -crf 4 -b:v 2M wasted_lives.webm[/code]
>>
File: file.png (184KB, 1920x1040px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
184KB, 1920x1040px
I want to copy a piece of geometry within an object
is thee anything wrong with selecting it all and then hitting e to extrude it (as I've done in the picture)? Will it cause any unpredictable/unintentional behaviour?

>>572057
you're fucking amazing
>>
>>572108
shift + D is better.

and your other object have flipped normals
>>
>>572109
alright, thanks. I guess extruding it flips the normals for some reason, because that only happened after the extrusion (as if it had been turned inside-out
>>
File: file.png (91KB, 1198x695px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
91KB, 1198x695px
I've fucked up on a model and rotated an object while in edit mode instead of while in object mode, so my local axis is still aligned to the global axis.

Without a script, does blender allow me to scale a selection along an arbitrarily selected edge as defined by to verts?

If not, is there a way to get blender to rotate an entire selection such that an arbitrarily selected edge defined by two verts aligns in parallel with any specified axis?
>>
>>572117
all rotations are determined by the point of origin which you can change.
if you just click R to rotate on camera angle it will use the camera to determinate the rotation. its best to either rotate on an axis and if you want something very specific you can set a different rotation point with the point of origin
>>
>>572129
that much I can do, but let's say I rotate a hexagonal face x degrees on the z axis, and then y degrees along the y axis, and then I lose the values for x and y.

is there a way I can rotate the *entire face* such that any given side of my choosing is perfectly aligned along the x axis?
>>
>>572131
>any given side*
edge*
>>
File: Keyboardlayout_250.png (586KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Keyboardlayout_250.png
586KB, 1920x1080px
>>572133
>>572131
>>572129
>>572117
I found an answer that mostly behaves how I would want it to:

pressing G (to grab) then G again will move the selected verts along whatever edge they belong to

side note, is there a similarly beautiful hotkey ref image for 2.7
>>
>>572131
if you want to rotate on 2 axis but want to just eliminate 1 you press R + shift + the axis you want to eliminate

that's the best i can do. G G is simply slide edge on the existing surface. its hard to follow because you don't present a visual example
>>
File: demo.webm (3MB, 594x404px) Image search: [Google]
demo.webm
3MB, 594x404px
>>572142
Here's a quick demonstration

with the first object, going into edit mode I can just hit G, X and stretch it along the global X axis, which is handy because my cube is aligned along the normal axes

with the second object, which has been rotated while in object mode, I can hit G, X, X and stretch it along the local X axis, since again my object is aligned along the local axes

I then create the third object, and I rotate it in edit mode. I'm trying to find out if there's something I can do to achieve the same result as in my second object. I can't just use the global or local axes since the contents of the object are what have been rotated. Is there a way to do this?

And if there isn't a way, is there an easy way for me to rotate the contents of obj3 such that they once again align to the axes even though I no longer know how much I rotated it by?
>>
File: 2017-07-14 23_41_18-Blender.png (37KB, 812x581px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-14 23_41_18-Blender.png
37KB, 812x581px
>>572144
if you want to movement to follow the face normal, and not global axis. you need to change the orientation to normal.

the manipulator will suddenly change and it will face a new direction.
then you can press G and double tap the axis which the normal is facing.
>>
File: file.png (71KB, 711x711px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
71KB, 711x711px
>>572145#
shit this is so close to exactly what I was looking for

basically, because I've lost alignment from the axis, I want to be able to move my selection to stretch the geometry along the normal of another face

I thought if that wasn't possible it might be possible to select the whole thing and rotate it such that one edge aligns perfectly with the global X axis (for example), then select the geometry I want and move it along the X axis
>>
>>570645
lathe the curve with 4 segments?
>>
>>572148
do you really need this to happen or you are just testing me?

what i did was select everything i want to move, then select the face i wanted to determain the rotation +movement last. so i picked the face at the very top and used the same formula

i don't understand what you are trying to do. global is regular XYZ, local is just changing those coordinates in different order.
>>
>>572153
lol I swear I'm not testing you, thanks for the effort anon.

it started out as me trying to find a specific solution to a problem I was having. After lots of searching I ended up fucking scrapping it all and restarting from a recent backup because I couldn't figure it out, but I was really convinced there would be a way to do what I wanted so I was hoping to discover it.

basically I thought there were two possible solutions that might exist. Either:
>being able to transform a selection using the G key, and then finding a way to lock movement along the direction of another user-defined edge
or
>being able to take the entire model, including that user defined edge, rotating it so that the edge aligned to an axis, and then selecting whatever I needed and hitting G to transform it along the axis instead

in the end, after a fuckload of googling and a lot of your generosity, I don't think either are immediately possible in any meaningfully simple way (at least without plugins).
>>
File: 2017-07-15 01_43_27-Blender.png (51KB, 760x665px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-15 01_43_27-Blender.png
51KB, 760x665px
>>572156
i think i understand your problem so maybe ill chip in with a "hackish" solution. use the same formula for what we did earlier. but lets just say i want to get a random vertex to dictate the movement of an entire mesh.

so i select that vertex/edge and turn on proportional editing. but instead of smooth i change it to "linear" or "sharp" and it should grab verticies as a whole and move them on GGZ.
it does work, but it needs some tinkering and its not reliable.
you can also do other "hack" methods but simply snapping a curve to a vertex or an edge and then move your mesh with the curve modifier.
either way. what you want should be easily solved by a python script, but you should ask around in blender communities and do some snooping. good luck.
>>
>>572161
oh that's fucking neat
I appreciate you trying to puzzle through it with me
>>
File: cstax.jpg (76KB, 859x505px) Image search: [Google]
cstax.jpg
76KB, 859x505px
>>572117
>Without a script, does blender allow me to scale a selection along an arbitrarily selected edge as defined by to verts?
yes, it does.

select an edge and then ctrl+alt+space.

this creates a custom orientation which you can use for any operation. if you do it while selecting an edge it'll appear as a new orientation named "edge."
>>
>>572202
Well holy shit
>>
Deleting old post because I phrased it wrong

When I use the numpad to change views, it automatically switches to orthographic view, and if I move the camera, it automatically switches to perspective view.

How do I fix this so that it stays in perspective/orthographic unless I actively switch it myself?

>>571777
you replied to the wrong person
>>
>>572263
Ah, I wasn't googling right. If anyone gets this, uncheck "Auto perspective" in the user preferences -> interface
>>
File: [email protected] (11KB, 370x320px) Image search: [Google]
3352112@2x.png
11KB, 370x320px
>want to model head
>can't even turn box into proper rounded shape
>>
>>572285
My dude. press w and hit subdivide smooth.
>>
>>572285
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hULmL9Ky94

I know a lot of people hate video tutorials (I do too) but this dude is the guy who finally got me to start learning Blender after years of wanting to. He goes quickly but you can set the speed lower.
Watch him. Follow along. You will learn.
Then watch this and FOLLOW ALONG. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKkUOMB6Zsc
It's long and the dude is a bit more annoying and slow my Jesus Christ I've learned so much from following along with this.
>>
>>572289
did you really finish the second tutorial?
its good knowing there are blenderheads here that actually learn the program instead of complaining
>>
File: work_so_far.jpg (99KB, 774x623px) Image search: [Google]
work_so_far.jpg
99KB, 774x623px
>>572290
Here's a screenshot of how it is so far. I'm 1 hour 44 minutes in, on the final stretch learning more in depth about how texturing and materials work with Cycles.

I don't care that I essentially following a guide- I made this! I feel so accomplished!
>>
>>572291
its really good for a beginner. he puts emphasis on topology which is nice bonus i guess.
i would use the principle shader for the material. but whatever. you can do it like this too
>>
When the heck is 2.79 coming out?
>>
>>572306
im using the test build right now. the new shader is so convenient. i used to make node trees of 30-40 nodes for some models. im glad its finally over.
>>
>>572308
I was trying an earlier build of it and it was really crashy but I just downloaded a test build. This is the first blender update in a while that I really want specific features, I noticed a week or two ago that the release notes are taking shape to be put in an article so guessing 2.79 comes out during siggraph
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.79
>>
>>572291
I agree that's really cool for a beginner. Keep going, anon, and don't give up until you make something awesome.
>>
>>572286
Oh my fucking god, thank you.
>>
Blender doesn't have a transpose tool like ZBrush does it?
What about selectively symmetrizing a masked area instead of the entire sculpture?

I might actually have to end up getting Zbrush because this is a huge deal breaker for me.
>>
>>572424
>transpose tool
are you kidding me? zbrush have transpose because it doesn't have a 3D manipulator

>huge deal breaker

i think only zbrush does it
>>
>>572424
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q78HcmDAd5s
>>
>>572426
then I might just be an idiot because I want to know how to mirror arms movements on both sides but the sculpture has asymmetry on certain parts like the hair so it's not like I can split the thing into two.

I want to move them around a bit while I sculpt while keeping symmetry on the movement on the arms.
>>
>>572427
Can that selectively symmetrize? I need certain portions of the mesh left alone.
>>
>>572428
>arm movements
but you are sculpting. why not wait until you can rig?
if they interfere with your sculpting simply hide the arms. i don't know how to do it but you can google how to hide mesh
>>
>>572424
>>572428
>>572431

hm you know what, I think I've figured it out. I'll just separate the asymmetrical parts and then just reattach them later or just keep them separate. A bit of a hassle but whatever.
>>
>>572431
H to hide selection, alt+h to unhide everything

>>572439
You could make the body and hair as separate objects, select all the body in edit mode, w>symmetrize and the join the hair and body
>>
File: Rip.jpg (182KB, 2645x1976px) Image search: [Google]
Rip.jpg
182KB, 2645x1976px
Ripped a model from artstation.
What is going on with the seams?
If I remove doubles it just looks worse.
>>
>>572472
the normals look like they might be messed up. have you tried recalculating or flipping them to see if that helps?
>>
>>572472
also show wires
>>
File: RECALC.jpg (330KB, 2165x1898px) Image search: [Google]
RECALC.jpg
330KB, 2165x1898px
>>572473
Most of the chest appears to recalc inwards.
>>
File: WIRE.jpg (355KB, 2102x1869px) Image search: [Google]
WIRE.jpg
355KB, 2102x1869px
>>572474
>>
File: AKM.jpg (158KB, 2560x841px) Image search: [Google]
AKM.jpg
158KB, 2560x841px
how do you import textures into blender onto ripped models ripped using ninjaripper

all I get is a textured-less model.
>>
>>572483
>>572472

how about you stop ripping models and start modeling
>>
File: 1496810114265.png (246KB, 791x550px) Image search: [Google]
1496810114265.png
246KB, 791x550px
>>572484
piss off
>>
File: lol.jpg (155KB, 1609x958px) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
155KB, 1609x958px
>>572483
ninja usually rips the textures to DDS. blender should handle these without issue. Alternatievely you can convert them.
>>
>>572487
you might have the textures. but you don't know shit about shading and shaders in general

presenting a model is a big chunk of the work you can't rip
>>
File: ScreenHunter_227 Jul. 17 18.06.png (38KB, 716x388px) Image search: [Google]
ScreenHunter_227 Jul. 17 18.06.png
38KB, 716x388px
>>572487
I have the DDS files just dont know what to do or what ones I need
>>
>>572493
check out their thumbnails or view them and decide. Most are pretty obvious norm/diff/spec maps
>>
>>572495
How do you view them?
>>
>>572496
You put your mouse over the file in Windows Explorer and click your mouse twice in rapid-succession you fucking caveman.
>>
>>572498
and before anyone autisms out on me, i meant cursor not mouse
>>
File: halp.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
halp.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
easy way to align two pieces of geometry within the same object in blender?

would it be easier if I put them in separate objects, each with their own center? and even then what's the best way to align the two?

first part of the vid is just me demonstrating how I would do what I want in sketchup
>>
>>572603
not you, but I'd also like to know this and how to take measurements in blender.
>>
File: ScreenHunter_227 Jul. 18 10.47.jpg (109KB, 4360x140px) Image search: [Google]
ScreenHunter_227 Jul. 18 10.47.jpg
109KB, 4360x140px
>>572498
this is why I asked how do you view them
>>
>>572603
Seperate objects. Then set 3d cursor to the points you want to meet at.

>>572607
Use another imageviewer. I use xnviewmp.
>>
>>572607
>>572608
would irfanview do the trick
>>
File: ScreenHunter_227 Jul. 18 11.21.jpg (200KB, 1074x667px) Image search: [Google]
ScreenHunter_227 Jul. 18 11.21.jpg
200KB, 1074x667px
>>572608
Thanks, now how do I add the textures?
>>
>>572614
Seriously? Blender basics man. Look them up.
>>
>>572615
no
>>
File: file.png (45KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
45KB, 800x800px
ummm excuse me
>>
>>572617
k, bye
>>
File: screen.png (277KB, 1366x705px) Image search: [Google]
screen.png
277KB, 1366x705px
>>572619
no clue
>>
File: file.png (26KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
26KB, 800x800px
>>572618
solved: using the Ctrl+F > Intersect (whatever) checks your selection against whatever's unselected, so the solution was to leave what I wanted to intersect with unselected
>>
File: 1.jpg (9KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
9KB, 240x240px
>>572621
>intersect
>>
>>572622
d...did I do something wrong?
>>
>>572623
Intersect can be problematic with the cuts it makes but you should be fine with that basic setup. Just get rid of the geometry "inside" the other box.
>>
>>572624
ah, yeah, there were some weird faces and duplicate verts, so some cleanup was needed. In my case with such simple geometry, it seemed like the quickest way to get everything lining up the way I wanted even with the cleanup
>>
File: screen.png (170KB, 1366x705px) Image search: [Google]
screen.png
170KB, 1366x705px
>>572615
as far as i got
>>
>>572630
man
you probably ripped more than 1 UV channel
you have to delete the remaining ones
>>
When it comes to applying an armature to a mesh with automatic weighting:
is there any way to tell blender to fuck off and assume the current position of the mesh is how I want it to correspond to the current position of the bones?

when I look at tutorials, they add the automatic weight and then they have to rotate the bones's pole angles again to approximate the original edit-state of the mesh. That doesn't seem like the cleanest way to do shit, so I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to do this. Should I even be using automatic weighting?

am i better off manually grouping verts and assigning them?
>>
File: 2017-07-18 22_59_10-Blender.png (129KB, 1028x755px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-18 22_59_10-Blender.png
129KB, 1028x755px
>>572630
here you go
for all of you model rippers out there
this is 100% the best way to display textures in blender
just get the 2.79 build
okay
>>
>>572642
also this is important.
if you get some fucked up shading try to turn off auto smooth, but i don't recommend it since it contains the original smoothing groups

secondely check what UV channel is active and try to match the one you have, don't just delete them randomly however.
and don't forget to map your normal map as none color data (explained in previous pic)
>>
File: 2017-07-18 23_20_282-Blender.png (331KB, 1683x726px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-18 23_20_282-Blender.png
331KB, 1683x726px
>>572644
cont.
some new update on your uzi
man those fucking texture maps are weird
>>
>>572646
i don't know how to connect the alpha channel of the second map, if anyone can help
>>
If I wanted to make short films and do some cinema style FX would Blender be the thing to learn? I assume it would be a combination of Blender and After Effects
>>
>>572656
get 3ds max student edition for free
>>
File: Page-9-image-12.jpg (270KB, 1600x948px) Image search: [Google]
Page-9-image-12.jpg
270KB, 1600x948px
>>572656
Yes you can.

https://www.blender.org/user-stories/visual-effects-for-the-man-in-the-high-castle/
https://www.allegorithmic.com/blog/man-high-castle-tv-series-substance
>>
File: file.png (89KB, 700x387px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
89KB, 700x387px
I rotated my arm bones' pole-angle to get the elbows to bend the right way in their IK Constraint, but when I parent the armature and mesh after doing this it twists the fuck out of the geometry. The only way I can get the shit to fall properly is to rotate the pole angle back.

Is there something I should be doing differently when attaching the armature to the mesh, or is there a way I can rotate the direction a joint flexes without rotating the pole-angle?
>>
>>572656
use blender. 3ds don't have a proper compositor, no video editor as well.
if you know blender well enough its also a possibility to not ever use after effects
>>
>>572673
he's already going to be using After Effects, might as well get 2 powerful specialized tools instead of 1 that does both decently well
>>
>>572670
>https://www.blender.org/user-stories/visual-effects-for-the-man-in-the-high-castle/
Omg that shit is incredible. If I knew how to do that I'd cry tears of joy.
>>
File: clean up.png (201KB, 1018x836px) Image search: [Google]
clean up.png
201KB, 1018x836px
What's the best way to fix up the topo in this triangle? I essentially cut off the bottom quarter of an UV sphere (note that it's slightly elliptical though), but I had to cut against the grain so I got some pentagons and tris.
>>
>>572686
there is no reason to have quads there.
you can even subd it
>>
>>572671
Turns out my issue was not knowing how to properly implement a pole-target bone constraint, so I deleted the pole target and it was fine.

What's the most straight forward and consistent way to manually edit Vertex Groups?

The wishy-washy painting business is absolutely not cutting it for me.
>>
>>572704
>make vertex groups specific to the areas you want
>go to vertex weight modifier
>load the vertex groups and adjust the weight manually
>>
>>572707
thx m8
>>
Where do I start? Want to be able to do stuff like this >>572670
>>
>>572721
this guy is awesome

https://www.youtube.com/user/ChannelNews0/videos
>>
Is cinema4d shit or what
>>
Messing around with fluid sim, but kept crashing at about 600 resolution. Got a couple of questions.
What is a common resolution for fluid sims? An example would be how much resolution is required to give a realistic behaviour for water.
Does the size of the origin sphere affect the flow?
Does the obstacle size/polycount affect it to the extent that it will crash?
>>
>>572734
No its perfect for Broadcast/TV except complex character animations and complex VFX.
Better than Blender in some parts, worse in others.
Easy to learn, very stable, lots of professional plugins and Renderers available.
>>
>>572736
keep the resolution low as possible for viewport simulation. when rendering turn it up
>>
>>572810
But what if I intend to export the fluid as an obj to another rendering engine?
>>
>>572836
Mate...obj doesn't support animation. Sorry to have to tell you like this
>>
>>572836
.obj files contains the mesh data,number of objects,polygroups,smoothing groups,UV's and UV channels
.mtl files contains the materials and their names
just to make that clear.

most simulations are only done in 1 program. exporting a simluation is only possible export just the animation itself.
.fbx file can do that but im not 100% sure since simulations are different than animations.
>>
>>572847
oh and i forgot to mention the most important thing.
particals are often proprietary to the program you are using, so its not possible to export them (maybe, just try)
but if you simulate using polygons only it is possible
>>
File: sdfsdfsdf.png (127KB, 1727x863px) Image search: [Google]
sdfsdfsdf.png
127KB, 1727x863px
Is there any point in subdividing mesh if im not going to use Subdivision surface modifier?
>>
>>572847
I'm aware. I just need it frozen at point of impact. I'm planning on using it to render an image via iray. So I just need a still pose, not one that flows.
>>
File: file.png (57KB, 591x591px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
57KB, 591x591px
so I've got some weird unintentional parenting going on, likely from me not being careful about my selections when setting shit up.

where can I see a bone's children listed? conversly, where can I see a bone's parent listed?
>>
>>572912
nope, the only primitive id subdivide is a plane so i can do cloth simulations

>>572933
in the outliner, just collapse the + button on the parent bone and you will see the children
>>
>>572935
you can clear parent with alt+p. id recommend doing that for the arm
>>
File: output.webm (1MB, 624x577px) Image search: [Google]
output.webm
1MB, 624x577px
>>572938
>>572935
thanks!

so I'm trying to make the gun rotate slightly (not one-to-one) and exclusively on the x axis with the right leg's rotation. I thought I would accomplish that by sharing its vertex group with the pelvis and the upper leg bones

this makes it shrink and deform, though. How do I cut that shit out?
>>
File: pM0ak.jpg (16KB, 332x329px) Image search: [Google]
pM0ak.jpg
16KB, 332x329px
>>572965
add a constraint to the bone you are using and disable scaling
>>
Macfaggot here, how do I install my plugins outside the application bundle so that I don't have to reinstall them every single time I get a new version of Blender?
>>
>>572974
I suspect I would be literally nowhere without you anon
>>
File: bbbbbb.png (192KB, 1176x765px) Image search: [Google]
bbbbbb.png
192KB, 1176x765px
I always had qualms about using curves to model things in Blender because it seems like texture mapping doesn't really work in the viewport. Today I randomly decide to add a triangulation modifier and suddenly I see the textures start working. Goddamnit Blender, what the fuck?

So, uh, just trying to spread information because I had no idea myself and I've been using Blender for years: Texture mapping DOES work on curves in the viewport outside of render mode, but only if you have a modifier in the Generate category active on the curve.
>>
>>573042
curves are not polygons. when you triangulate curves you convert them into polygons. therefore texture mapping can work.

so it kinda happened by accident. but you should click alt+C and convert these curves into quads. you can also control the amount of polygons you get by lowering the resolution in the curve settings.
protip: you can have texture on curves, but you will probably need to map them in cycles (its not gonna accurate like uv mapping)
>>
File: rat.png (153KB, 1869x861px) Image search: [Google]
rat.png
153KB, 1869x861px
How can I make my model look more like rat, that is supposed to be?
>>
>>573062
*it has to be low poly
>>
>>573062
You didn't really respect the silhouette of the rat. Where are the ears even?
>>
Blender master race don't be a autocuck - support Blender and make it the most power 3D tool known to man already beats autocuck tools and it's free. Only other tools worth using are Zbrush and substance painter for textures.
>>
File: 1500270583205.jpg (36KB, 640x302px) Image search: [Google]
1500270583205.jpg
36KB, 640x302px
How do I filter assets from another (for now pirated) application through Blender so it has none of that potential metadata and looks like it was made in the later?
>>
>>573094
export in another format

>>572975
i think blender saves plugins if you use the installer and not the zip file
>>
>>573110
>if you use the installer
No such animal. Mac applications are usually unpack and drag to Applications folder.

The problem here is that FF is installing the plugins into the application bundle, and Mac apps are supposed to put those under ~/Application Support/Blender/ the same way every other OS has a hidden user folder for application settings. I've even moved those plugins into that folder and they work, but the problem remains that the application should be doing this not me.
>>
File: 2001 Cannondale R2000 Si.jpg (121KB, 640x394px) Image search: [Google]
2001 Cannondale R2000 Si.jpg
121KB, 640x394px
general 3d question, though i am using blender.

when creating a bike frame is it important that the intersecting tubes are connected seamlessly? or can I just stick one tube inside the main tube and call it a day?
>>
I installed this for the first but why can I only get it running at like 10fps? All the fixes I can find are for nvidia laptop cards
>>
>>572472
can you rip this model for me

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/2Ldxe
>>
>>573145
the shading will look fucked up if you do that. do it properly.
>>
>>572686
just make a loop following the bottom border. ignore the other dude, you do not want ngons no matter what.
>>
>>573145
Depends where's the model is going.

A low poly game, where you would see it only from far? Then you might get away with it, but Z fighting might still happen. Try welding them with booleans or something similar and clean up the results.

You want closeups with proper fidelity? Then do it properly, and with SubDivision in mind. So proper topology is a must, especially if you want the welding seams visible.
>>
>>573145
you should make sure all tubes connect. id say start with cubes first then subd to round it up
>>
File: rat_poly.png (108KB, 517x832px) Image search: [Google]
rat_poly.png
108KB, 517x832px
>>573062
update, looking for tips to make him look better, thanks
>>
>>573179
>>573184
>>573186
thanks i'll do it properly w/ subdiv
>>
>>573224
Make sure you plan ahead and do some tests with the cylinders you add and the number of verts they have before you get too deep into the topology. Granted that's most of the frame but it's still good to test a few and throw things out so that you know what you're doing when you get there and get familiar with the topo.
>>
>>573227
good advice, thanks.
>>
File: blenderhelp.jpg (61KB, 1234x454px) Image search: [Google]
blenderhelp.jpg
61KB, 1234x454px
Is there some way I can easily insert a loop cut in between all of these segments at the same time or do I have to do it manually?
>>
>>573278
Ctrl+r, mwheel adds and removes loops and rclick makes the cut in the center
>>
File: loopcut.gif (844KB, 824x320px) Image search: [Google]
loopcut.gif
844KB, 824x320px
>>573278
if you mean loop cut each segment at once, i don't think so.

you can add centered loops to each segment manually by doing what >>573279 said, select each loop, and then double tap g to slide them equally
>>
>>573279

Yeah I know that but I was just hoping there was some sort convenient way I can add a loop between each segment at the same time as opposed to having to go through each one. In this case that operation is trivial but on a really large mesh it might be a bit of a pain in the ass.
>>
>>573281
you barely save 2 seconds by doing that
>>
>>573284
yeah but on a really big mesh I could save like, 2 minutes lol. I think this would be a nice feature to add in blender where you can place multiple loop cuts perhaps based on a selection. I'm gonna see if I can cook up a python script to do it.
>>
>>573278
Select only the longitudinal edges (not the rings) in edge select mode, and W->Subdivide.
But Loop-cutting it shouldn't take loonk either, at least for this particular case.
>>
>>573281
You could probably select a loop and shift+r to repeat actions
>>
How should I go about making hitboxes? Any recommended tutorials?
>>
>>573559
what?
>>
>>573559
Not really a question. Depends on your engine or needs. Whatever engine you're making it for might support a naming prefix like UCP for a capsule collider in a mesh. You scale capsules, spheres, or boxes to be the size you want.
>>
File: lenny.mp40001-0060.webm (72KB, 499x280px) Image search: [Google]
lenny.mp40001-0060.webm
72KB, 499x280px
I just picked up blender and started messing around with stuff
no idea how to change the center of rotation so it just spins in place instead of pivoting
>>
why does it look like shit?
haven't edited the light at all
>>
File: blender_2017-07-24_17-49-31.png (38KB, 742x468px) Image search: [Google]
blender_2017-07-24_17-49-31.png
38KB, 742x468px
>>573639
the blue dot in the picture is the pivot point. you can change it to the center of the geometry by pressing T and using the transform tools or shift + ctrl + alt + c.

when animating it you can also rotate it along the z axis with r + z + number and insert key frame
>>
Hey guys, I wanna get into contributing code for blender.

What's a _simple_ feature/fix you would like to see in blender?
>>
File: edgeloop.gif (216KB, 393x365px) Image search: [Google]
edgeloop.gif
216KB, 393x365px
>>573657
insert edge loop tool exactly like maya.
not a fan of ctrl + r
>>
>>573650
ok, that's made it better
how would I animate it so it doesn't stop at the end and continuously rotate at the same speed?
>>
File: rotate.gif (64KB, 332x285px) Image search: [Google]
rotate.gif
64KB, 332x285px
>>573804
you have to change the frame that the animation ends on for it to continuously rotate.

this cube rotates 45 degrees every 5 frames, so by 40 frames it has rotated 360 degrees. if i start the animation on frame 1 and end it on frame 39 it does a seamless loop.
>>
File: blender_2017-07-25_13-29-33.png (27KB, 464x208px) Image search: [Google]
blender_2017-07-25_13-29-33.png
27KB, 464x208px
>>573804
for it to continuously rotate at the same speed you need to change the keyframe interpolation to linear in your dope sheet editor. once you have your dope sheet open type T to open the menu and click linear.
>>
File: facetransparent4.gif (715KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
facetransparent4.gif
715KB, 1024x1024px
>>573808
>>573809
I think I figured it out
>>
>>573811
n1
>>
>>573804
I almost pasted this a few days ago but closed out the tab and the other guy said similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r0KsLYr3wA
set your first frame at 0 rotation in object data then i, the frame after your last animation at 360 rotation and i for keyframe insert. Then graph editor and hit T then set interpolation to linear.
>>
File: bbones.png (5KB, 256x512px) Image search: [Google]
bbones.png
5KB, 256x512px
will blender give me shit if I rig a low poly model like this? I have a low bone limit to work with.
>>
File: bbones.png (6KB, 256x512px) Image search: [Google]
bbones.png
6KB, 256x512px
>>573921
>>
File: scroll600.gif (1MB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
scroll600.gif
1MB, 256x256px
just rendered this
going to try 1200 frames and see how that looks, it's still too fast
>>
>>573939
it's because the scroll isn't linear. also the glare in the center makes it hard to read
>>
>>573657
Have Mac version store plugins in ~/Library/Application Support/Blender/Plugins
>>
>>573939

Idk, i kind of like how it speeds up to be too fast. If you recognize the opening line it just makes it seem more intense like the image is yelling incoherently fast at you.
>>
>>573921
>>573936
there should be no issues

getting the fingers may be tricky, but I have never connected my legs to the spine (aside from parenting with keep offset)
>>
File: file.png (683KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
683KB, 1920x1080px
>>573657
I've got a good one
have literally this image generated natively in blender based off of whatever keybinds you set up yourself
>>
>>574187
I literally read your post
>>
>>574192
I literally meant figuratively
>>
how do I go about posing and keyframing without it autogenerating or tweening the motion? I really just one to go from one pose directly to another.
>>
>>574510
In the dope sheet or graph editor hit T and set the animation to constant.
>>
anyone know how to unwrap UVs that dont turn out like shit and are all over the place? i can never seem to get a good unwrap
>>
File: Untitled.png (17KB, 237x461px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
17KB, 237x461px
is there a way to create an empty object to parent things to so I can clean up my outliner a little?
>>
>>575127
shift a, empty. ctrl p to parent. you could have googled any of this

https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/26108/how-do-i-parent-objects
>>
File: Untitled.png (6KB, 729x549px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
6KB, 729x549px
>>575130
right but I meant without affecting the viewport. when I use empty objects it creates a web of lines
>>
Any way to apply modifier to mesh with shape keys without getting error?
>>
hey /3/, completely new to 3D but I just need a few small assets to superimpose on a video. I basically need two objects to float and spin in circles. I have already gotten the models and I've followed a tutorial on getting them to rotate in an animation, but I can't seem to figure out how to properly fixate the camera or colorize the models (one of them being a crystal ball which could be tricky). Anyone have any good tutorials that might help me out with this?
>>
>>575269
What renderer are you using? "Fixate the camera" you mean like moving the camera around while it's still focussed on one object, or...?

Look into setting a new material on each object in question. Colorizing it should be simple, you just change the diffuse color. As for the crystal ball, you'll want some sort of refractive material/shader I believe. Not sure if this is built into Blender or if you could download one off of Blendswap or find one on another site.
>>
>>575392
I'm not sure what you mean by what renderer sorry, I'm just using the built in tools currently. by fixate the camera i just meant align it straight to an axis, make it full frame in front of my object. It seems like all the rotation tools want me to have it at an isometric angle or something, I can't get it just straight in front of the object.

also as for the materials I have been playing with them a bit, I will check out Blendswap like you said.
>>
>>575397
Oh, there's two main renderers (more depending up your install) that exist. The Blender internal which is kinda meh from what I gather and I don't think allows for full shaders and the Cycles renderer which is the powerful one that everyone talks about. There's some other 3rd party ones too I've seen people mention.

You can also align the camera by moving your view to where you want it, hitting a numpad key to get one of the cardinal views down an axis, and then using the set camera to current view button in the menus. I can't gets you exact menu options and hotkeys right now because its 4am but when I'm at work tomorrow I'll add some
>>
>>575405
Oh, I am using Cycles renderer then sorry, I was following a tutorial and it had me do that without really realizing what I was doing.

And cool no problem it's pretty late on the west coast too so i'm not really working on it anymore tonight anyways, I appreciate the help!
Thread posts: 346
Thread images: 100

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.