[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Automation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: ZBrush-GUI4-1280x720.jpg (102KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ZBrush-GUI4-1280x720.jpg
102KB, 1280x720px
What kind of /3/ related things do you think are likely to become automated by software in the next few decades? What would you like to see more effort put into on this front, or would you rather keep things the way they are? Do you think we could ever get to point where your average Joe off the street with no previous experience could model, rig, and animate a decent character in a matter of hours?
>>
>>567019

I have been wanting this since 2001. Sadly, this world is full of stupid shit. And people who might want to have these things. Are not the ones who can make it happen.

I'm 100% sure this will be a thing in maybe 2050ish. I doubt any sooner. Hell probably once humanity gets its shit together. We will all be artist / modelers / animators and musicians...

Would be a much more creative and interesting world.

The levels people would have to go to make something truly stand out would be astronomical...

All well. See you on the other side anon. We will not live to see such a future.
>>
>>567019
rigging and retopo will be automated, animation is also getting there. texturing becomes soooooo much easyer!!

but still, I'm shocked that there is no better retopo tools ...
>>
>>567031
ps. as distant future goes...IDK. one thing I can not gasp to be automated is creativity. but, i think all this collected search data will be used in creating it.
then science will become art like art
>>
>>567033
Art is literally science, created with science. The main difference, while you can fake/copy art, you cannot 'create' art with some direct idea in mind, because how subjective it is.

But yeah, I'd say retopo and procedural matetials.
>>
they have plenty of characters made with scan data and they look worse than sculpted ones (in video games)
in art its proven time after time that the longer the process is the better
>>
>>567019
automatic modeling
already any retard can make model in zbrush, soon you will just press a button and it will make itself
no more need for shitty modelrs
>>
File: tumblr_ohq9afjRLe1rhv1tfo5_1280.jpg (78KB, 570x743px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ohq9afjRLe1rhv1tfo5_1280.jpg
78KB, 570x743px
>>567040
Careful with those edges there, someone might get cut.
>>
>>567019
I think literally everything "to a degree"

You will have software that gets you 80-90% of the way there. then a human has to come and say "oh no that part is bad" or do the initial setup.

Things like cartoony facial rigging will always be very subjective and dependent on the production needs. Realistic Human face? yea that'll get automated to the point of probably having an actor go in, do a shit load of facial posing an the machine will spit out a 3D rigged likeness.

There's always mindless cleanup, or doing parts that aren't "logical"

We already have stuff like Unreal blueprints because we've realized that 80% of the time you are just doing different shit with the same parts.
>>
File: KhbLDRtH.jpg (12KB, 212x212px) Image search: [Google]
KhbLDRtH.jpg
12KB, 212x212px
>>569385
>We already have stuff like Unreal blueprints because we've realized that 80% of the time you are just doing different shit with the same parts.
and thus we have tons of games that you can tell are unreal games. Stay away from that engine.
>>
>>567031

Automated animation? How exactly?
>>
>>567031

I'd like rigging to be fully automated because to me is a chore (and i am pretty glad every time i see some new way to calculate the skinning that saves me time painting weights and all that) but i don't see how they could automate animation.

motion capture is not (and never will be) animation because the human body can't break the rules of physics and people acting isn't the same as animation acting, there are no curves and all that... just moving a character is not animating.
>>
>>569394
He probably means like, the AI being smart enough to recognize the limbs and then you can just say ok give me a walking animation, an idle animation and a jumping animation and it will do it then you it fine tune the details.
>>
Someone needs to make a decent muscle simulation tool for animating, the hardware power is there with modern GPUs but as always in 3d the larger program companies only want to invest in the absolute minimum amount of development to get people to upgrade.
>>
>>569394
>>569446

there is already tons and tons of ready animation, mixamo for example. do you know how many devs use it's animations and then finetune them? we'll get more and more archives like that. I'm not saying that it'll be buttonclick easy anytime soon, but we'll have all the hard work automated, we'll just have to finetune them.

>>569446
yeah... rigging is the least thing I want to kearn in 3d :/ I'm already decent with sculpting/modeling texturing, concepting, but fuckin rigging!!! I can not get myself to learn it normally and rig gives character soooo much life. it instantly levels up character.
>>
File: output.png (77KB, 1133x40px) Image search: [Google]
output.png
77KB, 1133x40px
auto rigging technology
flawless scanning technology
flawless markerless tracking
>>
>>569465
good studios have this already
>>
>>569464
>yeah... rigging is the least thing I want to kearn in 3d :/ I'm already decent with sculpting/modeling texturing, concepting, but fuckin rigging!!! I can not get myself to learn it normally and rig gives character soooo much life. it instantly levels up character.
Rigging is stupid unless it's for video games anyway. Humanoids all have the same basic skeletal and muscle structure all you have to do is scale it correctly and simulate bones and flesh.

Weta has something similar but it's on CPU only and needs servers. GPUs could probably do it on one PC or even the latest 16 core CPUs might be enough.
>>
>>569470

yeah but when charcter wears jackets, joint protectors, shirts, belts and 1000 bs, skinning is getting fucking complicated...
rigging is one thing that I kinda hesitated learning, since I started 3d,
>>
>>569484
oh and building controill s, face rigging. it's not fucking stupid. it has 10000's of borrinfg technical details, and each and every step can go to shit irreversibli.
I can rig character for walk cycle
>>
>>567019
The ones up first on the chopping block are:
>rigging and skinning
>retopo
>UVs (for normal UVs anyway, if you want something particular you still gotta do it yourself)

Further down the queue is probably animation. Procedural physical animation and AI will mostly take over a lot of animation, you will define legs, bones, muscles, etc. on a creature and then have the program calculate shit for you, perhaps even at runtime for shit like games. Humans, however, will likely be still done manually for the most part for a long time since we're very good at spotting flaws in other humans. Basically it will be heavily AI assisted, making animator teams a lot smaller.

Procedural and non-destructive modelling is also the future (we've already seen this with materials like in Substance and VFX with Houdini), so modelling in the future will look a lot more like it does in Houdini today than classical programs like Maya or 3DS. This isn't really automation though, you might automate a lot with scripts but someone is still writing that shit.
>>
>>567019
Automation will happen, there are some obvious areas that have already been pointed out where it will take over like topology for instance. However where things will really get interesting for CG is when artists start to understand the strengths of their medium better. Most packages still operate on paradigms established in the early and late 90's. There are not many tools that embrace computation as an artistic tool in and of itself.
>>
>>569464
picking from a bunch of boring canned mo-cap animations is not automated animation. It's a great way to have everything look the same however

anyhow, some part of automation can be achieved for games, like physics driven animations, things like stumbling and catching ones balance in rockstar games since gta4 (the euphoria engine), however getting these systems to drive actual very active animation in every regard without any keyframing, is very awkward and odd looking.

I truly believe there will always be a place for keyframed animation, simply because the bounce of 100% realistic physics/ dots tracking a real person's movement are for a very specific style. Stylized games cannot really use these things, as they look very uncanny and odd. Could you imagine super mario sunshine if mario was motion captured and if the island natives stumbled around like a euphoria driven npcs from gta? Sounds gross
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.