[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hello /3/, for about a year ive been wanting to get into 3d modeling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: TeatCrab.png (363KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
TeatCrab.png
363KB, 1920x1200px
hello /3/, for about a year ive been wanting to get into 3d modeling alongside my modest 2d art skills, just to be more eclectic and offer assets to game communities i follow. this is my first model i've done on my new 1 week old computer (and is the um... 2nd model from scratch on one of the big modelers, and the... 6-7th model all together as i did some stuff from that one block game.)
not really here for critique but im fully open to it, very much welcome. what i am here for however is to solve one problem.
i want to make this creature's default pose to be standing, and i want the legs to be symetrical to each other. how would one make both the left and the right bones bend the same way without needing to adjust one then the other by the decimal?
>>
You can use rigging, snapping verts of your models legs to the grid or you can just delete half of your model and mirror it by an axis.
>>
>how would one make both the left and the right bones bend the same way without needing to adjust one then the other by the decimal?
this would only be possible if the object was mirrored perfectly, which is not.

but your post sort of strikes me a little bit since you say this is your 2nd model but yet you go for one of the hardest exercises in animation.
im not saying its impossible from where you are right now you need a comprehensive animation walkthrough before even attempting a quad walk cycle
>>
i have rigged the mesh with bones yes, thats how i was able to pose them. im terribly afraid of cutting the model in half after i have already built and renamed the armature, i dont even know if the mirror modifier works on armatures
>>
>>566508
oh the model i made sure to mirror it perfectly, at least in the original state.
i used the mirror modifier before giving the mesh a skeleton so if i returned the mesh to its resting position it will be perfectly symetrical.

however what i need now is for the legs to be standing on this plane evenly, to make that its new resting position going forward
>>
File: Untitled.png (362KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
362KB, 1920x1200px
>>566508
>>566511
this is how it looks in edit mode
>>
>>566512
i think this is it
https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/43720/how-to-mirror-a-walk-cycle
>>
>>566514
hmm well i havent really animated anything yet, its only the one frame but ill give it a shot
>>
>>566514
>>566516
immediately when i copied the bones, the flip on x-axis box showed up and remedied it perfectly, anons i love you all

now thats thats out of the way, what do you think of the model itself? how may i improve it?
>>
Its abit weird, creepy. Not too bad, tho.
>>
>>566518
thats what i was going for ye
its based on a certain gif that...
would need...
to be put in a beige board...
>>
>>566517
topology-wise its good. especially for beginner stage.
the creature itself looks very cute. i think watching a few tutorials on UV mapping and texturing is where you progress from here.
i think you have a solid understanding of topology and it just comes down to presentation (animation, textures)
>>
>>566520
i was always told "quads are gods" and i took that to heart, making sure to minimize triangle use. im definitely planning on doing uv work now, im just concerned about unwrapping as i've always heard that it gives people cancer

also
>the creature itself looks very cute.
>>566518
>Its abit weird, creepy
i like how these conflict but they are both what i was going for: creepy but kind of cute
>>
>>566521
i always say that if you learn how to unwrap a cylinder you sort of understand how seams form islands and that's a very good basis for unwrapping.
>>
>>566521
Sure, your intention to go for cute reads well.
>>
>>566506
>new 1 week old computer
how come it runs Windows 7 and not 10 if it's new? Something's fishy here. And the model, uh well
>>
>>566506
I'm not too savvy with workflow, but assuming your model is symmetrical and placed on the origin point (0xyz) then it is a matter of mirroring their positions by checking if they are equal in value.
This is basic though, and I'm not sure I've understood what you're asking.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.