[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Modeling anime characters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

How do you do it /3/?

I'd like to learn how to model anime characters in maya/zbrush and have them look like their book/television counterparts. There is this photo of Goku that's really well done, and the various angles of the face look largely in part, exactly like the show.

How do you replicate this?
>>
model in modo 11, sculpt in zbrush
>>
>>561765
What's so good about Modo for this?

Not sarcastic, seriously asking. I'm semi-new to 3d modeling, so I'm not fully aware of all the tools out there.
>>
>>561766
it has all the right tools in all the right places. Its years ahead of its closest competitor, max
>>
>>561766
You could do the pre-sculpt modeling in any package, it's 100% personal preference.
>>
>>561764
it's just like modeling anything else. you just need to get a good front and side reference to work with
>>
>>561772
That's what I'm wondering - like first starting points.

>>561767
I'll look into it, thanks!

>>561770
And post sculpt in zbrush for detail?

I'm trying to create a character for a 3rd person perspective in Unity, so that's the aim atm.
>>
File: perfectrender.png (280KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
perfectrender.png
280KB, 960x540px
>>561775
>That's what I'm wondering - like first starting points.
look up character modeling tutorials for whatever program you decide to use, and put that image i gave you in the background. that's how I made Cell. just make sure you model the arms straight out to the sides, it makes weight painting much easier.
>>
>>561765
>modo
>not maya
>>
>>561764
modeling is like drawing but 3d
study the shapes and forms, and its pretty easy to replicate.
fuck those fabric tho
this shit is hard unless you practice over and over
>>
The side view is where most people fuck up.

Get multiple reference shots from show of the character you're modelling and use them massively.

This is a good example of workflow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0hQmaCLEC4
>>
>>563152
That's exactly my goal, to not fuck up the angles. If I can model the character so accurately, that if I just stuck a cell shader on it and took a screenshot, it would look nearly indistinguishable from a handdrawn version of it.

I'd like to make a fighting game for my own purposes, but model the character to represent the artists work.
>>
>>563293
making it indistinguishable from the drawing is going to be difficult, but I definitely wouldn't mind seeing your progress. Are you making a strictly DBZ game, or will it have other franchises in it as well?
>>
>>563295
I'm actually considering Ranma. I feel like that's a fighting game waiting for someone to run with it, but considering all the copyright stuff, chances of it getting off the ground are slim.

So in that case, I just want to make a 3d adventure/fighting game.
>>
>>563296
Other than the face and the hair, I don't think it should be that hard. The real bitch will be finding a character sheet of the male Ranma to work from, but I can probably get a lot just from shots from the book/show.
>>
>>561764
Anybody tried making an anime character in blender?

I've seen guides on youtube (some looked really good) but I was wondering if anybody here has had any experience doing it.
>>
>>563302
I made this >>561779 if you have any questions I'll answer what I can
>>
File: dragon ball cell.png (396KB, 375x836px) Image search: [Google]
dragon ball cell.png
396KB, 375x836px
>>563303
Sweet work. Was it hard finding references for it? What did you search term did you use? Have you ever used flat shaders to give him a more "cartoon" look?
>>
File: Semiperfectrender.png (332KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Semiperfectrender.png
332KB, 960x540px
>>563305
Thanks a lot! It really wasn't hard at all. I just searched for the character name and side view, front view, or character sheet. And no I've never tried using cartoon shaders. I wanted to make him look as realistic as possible without losing his original design. Also he transforms.
>>
>>563306
Damn that's fucking cool.
>>
File: imperfectrender.png (353KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
imperfectrender.png
353KB, 960x540px
>>563307
thanks!

This form still needs work
>>
>>563306
>>563309
please try a cartoon shader
a PBR shader don't do justice for anime models
even a dota2 shader
>>
>>563293
Study some of this if you want to get it looking more accurate to a drawing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhGjCzxJV3E

Guilty Gear Xrd modelled their characters in 3D so look as accurate to the older 2D sprites by using normals/UV tricks and making sure the animation itself followed typical 2D animation methods (squash/stretch etc)
>>
>>561779
>>563306
>>563309
This needs a Cell Shader.
>>
>>564255
Huehuehue
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.