[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Even good animators can't get jobs. I suck ass, and need

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: 1490760295276.jpg (24KB, 432x411px) Image search: [Google]
1490760295276.jpg
24KB, 432x411px
Even good animators can't get jobs.

I suck ass, and need work soon.

Why should I even try if I'm years behind these guys that can't get jobs?
>>
keep 3d as a hobby and work a regular job
>>
>>561181
Ive been doing that for ten years

I NEED to become an animator
>>
>>561182
post reel, i'll tell you how far away you are from industry
>>
>>561180
Do you have a demo reel?
>>
I do, but it's extremely old.

Is it safe to post my name on here?
>>
Fuck it

https://vimeo.com/user24289649
>>
>>561188
you wont make it with this. apply yourself, read the survival kit and grind it, learn the fundamentals, etc
>>
>>561191
Yeah, I know. Its not good. I plan to reapply myself to this.

Will employers see a huge gap from education to employment as very bad?
>>
>>561192
your employers are going to be indie devs, not AAA, so no
>>
>>561191
~*The Fundamentals*~
>>
>>561192
>Will employers see a huge gap from education to employment as very bad?
If you have a good portfolio it won't matter. Things like going to Gnomon, having freelance or small studio experience, and having contacts in the biz that can say whether or not you're an asshole would all help, but your portfolio is key.
>>
>>561188
man you are not even an animator.
you are a VFX? artist so make the distinction.

secondly, don't show blank examples of what you can do, combine your effects with some real footage, learn camera tracking
>>
>>561180
Cause in two years you'll be saying the same thing, except you'll be working an even shittier job if any and your life will have been two years "wasted". Continue to animate to style on these motherfuckers at the top, otherwise you'll be right here two years from now.
>>
>>561214
I have both reels on that link but am specifically referring to animation in this thread

Some people have told me I should focus on that instead
>>
>>561216
Yeah you're right.
>>
>>561217
I think you should focus on kys
>>
File: 1492450169189.jpg (270KB, 750x728px) Image search: [Google]
1492450169189.jpg
270KB, 750x728px
>>561219
Lol
>>
>>561219
hi nuldel, hows easter?
>>
There are plenty of places who have things that were done in Microsoft Word OR done by some crappy artist. Those people would love someone professional to make some nice shit for them.

Trust me, it's how I make any money doing this.

I have over a years worth of work from one place, and that's not including what I've done prior.

That's a years worth of possible content/experience for a portfolio that I wouldn't have otherwise.

>oh but you're not working on some AAA gam-
>fuck you, I got paid

Don't aim low, but also don't pass up the million job opportunities literally staring you in the face everyday.

That cupcake shop down the road doesn't know they want a motion graphics display advertising their product until you show it to them.
>>
>>561188
what's wrong with your framerate? Why are you animating at what looks like 12-15fps?

This is going to be a harsh critique, but I'm mainly calling bullshit on the fact that you've "been doing this for 10 years". There's no fucking way you've been animating for 10 years >>561182
I'd believe maybe a few months to half a year.

The main issue you're having is your movements are floaty as all fuck.
You aren't animating with purpose, you're kinda just dicking around and leaving tons of 100% interpolated frames where your characters do nothing but move between one keyframe and the next.
Do you honestly think animators can get away with doing that? Every fucking movement has to be hand-corrected. You can't bullshit like you're doing.
I'm willing to bet the dickheads that work at pixar have placed manual keys on AT LEAST every other frame.

You never hold your key poses. They hit them and drop immediately into the next pose. Your sense of timing is absolutely fucked.
You need to do more bouncing balls and flowersack exercises. Stop making these long animations until you have mastered those, and then move on to VERY SMALL character movement tests like walk cycles and head turns.

I can see an attempt was made in certain animations to make joints move independently, but it didn't work because it's barely noticeable. Everything moves at the same fucking time.
How long does it take you to make each animation? I'm willing to bet maybe a day or two at most for each 10-20 second clip.

Also work in stepped before switching to spline. I fucking know you don't, because if you were your timing wouldn't be floaty as all fuck.

>inb4 buh- it's not my best work!!!
then post your best work or fuck off. If this is what you're using to apply to jobs you're ruining your chances because you lack the self-awareness to understand it looks like hot garbage.

tl;dr, fuck you.
you're going to make it, anon, but you need more practice.
>>
>>561217
>both reels
no one is gonna look at 6 different reels.
make ONE reel with ONLY your best work, save sketches and attempts for later
>>
>>561229
>You need to do more bouncing balls and flowersack exercises. Stop making these long animations until you have mastered those, and then move on to VERY SMALL character movement tests like walk cycles and head turns.
FUNDAMENTALS
>>
Oh please, there are tons of anim jobs going around, our place cant seem to find enough people recently to hire because most are already employed (film/vfx)

Youre not too far off but need work to get a junior contract. Ditch the random stuff like the robot arm and work on your body mechanics and weight, once you nail that you can easily get a junior position.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.