[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Arnold 5 Released

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 9

File: logan_2.jpg (790KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
logan_2.jpg
790KB, 1920x1080px
https://www.solidangle.com/news/press-release-arnold-5/

Has anyone tried the new version of Arnold, leading renderer in the industry?
>>
File: majster.jpg (49KB, 432x338px) Image search: [Google]
majster.jpg
49KB, 432x338px
When you can't tell what's real anymore
>>
>>560975
>still no gpu support
its like they're living in the 90s
>>
>>560975
they always fuck up the eyes
>>
>>560979

CPU based renderfarms are still more common and much cheaper. GPU rendering is growing but it still has a long way to go before it becomes the standard.
>>
>>560982
It's already a standard and GPU farms exist. CPU just has an infinite amount of computation.
>>
>>560983
It is not standard. Most VFX companies still use CPU based renderfarms, even Pixar.
>>
Redshift is the renderer to go
>>
>>560987
More like redshit
>>
DROPPED until gpu support
>>
>>560984
You are creating a dichotomy that no longer exists because GPU's are used in post for after effects/nuke pipelines Standard does not mean other foreseeable pipelines aren't present. GPUs are also present in simulation iteration/ distribution/slicing.Figure out what that word actually means.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FqzK6zJvwE

http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/gtc/2013/webinar/gtc-express-gpus-in-film-vfx-pipeline.pdf

Renderman and Arnold will also be utilizing GPU power in the near future.
https://renderman.pixar.com/view/DP25847
https://twitter.com/arnoldrenderer/status/812280211622477824?lang=en
>>
>>560990
I am obviously talking about GPU rendering, retard, since this thread is about Arnold, a RENDERER, not a simulation engine, nor a video editor. You know this, but since you want to win this argument so hard you are now moving goalposts. RENDER farms are still mostly CPU based, VFX and animation studios still use CPU based RENDER farms. RENDERING on GPU is NOT standard. Studios from Pixar to Blur still RENDER their shit on CPU based renderfarms for various reasons, from cost effectiveness to compatibility. Have some fucking common sense, Renderman and Arnold, the two top and most widely used RENDERERS in the industry, still lack GPU support, does that tell you anything at all?
>>
>>560991
No need to be so butmad a part of the industry that will change in the next 3 years. You're clearly angry. And yes rendering on a gpu is a standard maybe not for final render, they both go hand and hand these days take it easy mental midget.
>>
>>560991
Faggot
>>
the new version comes with max 2018 right?

also the new mtoa 2.0
>>
>>560988
why so?
>>
Cycles - a free, open source renderer - can into GPU yet a commercial renderer can't.

Makes ya think.
>>
>>560999

Max is for Fags.
>>
>>561010
I hope youre joking or falseflaging
>>
>>561018
nope. Arnold just wants to sell commercial licenses. Cycles devs realized long ago the huge potential that we have in our GPUs and added in support.
>>
>>561019
>>561010
>Cycles needs people not even on the dev team to create remotely physically based shaders as a default
Makes ya think.

Go away, Andrew. Cycles is trash.
>>
>>561013
blur uses max, along with a bunch of other companies.
>>
>>561024
>blur

come on dude. The only vfx company worth a DAMN is weta. We all know this.
>>
>>560975
Im still waiting for the moment when someone makes a render so realistic that when someone at promo changes the names of both pictures, no one will ever be able to tell which one is which.

Bonus points if they put the real pic as CG RENDER and your local polycount neckbeard still manages to find pixel thin flaws.
Like hanging abstract art upside down.
>>
>>561010
>>561020
Brecht van Lommel, who is the father of Cycles, got a job in Solid Angle, and now is developing Arnold.
>>
>>561029
Pathetic
>>
>>561029
cycles was his resume, he used the blender community to further his career :'(. Guess I should go back to blender internal renderer.
>>
>>560975
>https://www.solidangle.com/news/press-release-arnold-5/

wait

old logan was cgi? i thought it was just heavy makeup
>>
>>561050a
I think you're in the wrong thread, here

>>>559921
>>
>>561029
Lmao
>>
File: fug.png (2MB, 1859x804px) Image search: [Google]
fug.png
2MB, 1859x804px
>>560975
Why do they always fuck up the pupils? They aren't just sharp-edged circles, they fade a little. God damn.
>>
>>561067
What
>>
>>561120
It's a stupid question, I'm saying.
No, old logan was not CGI, at least not fully CGI, all vfx heavy movies nowadays do digital doubles for action sequences. In most scenes they used make up.
>>
This new version's standard shader uses a PBR workflow out of the box.
>>
File: 2017-04-21 17_22_57-Blender.png (3KB, 204x31px) Image search: [Google]
2017-04-21 17_22_57-Blender.png
3KB, 204x31px
>>561513
just fuck my shit up brah
>>
>>561514
What?
>>
>>561526
Cycles is killing Blender. Every new releases is just more and more focused to trying to make Cycles a competitive renderer that it's actively taking up resources from other departments and throttling development. Blender could've had PBR in the realtime viewport by now but instead they've got the entire core development team working on Cycles.
>>
>>561592
PBR is old hat. Every app has PBR since years ago.

UI is the big thing now, especially vr roomscale ui
>>
>>561593
>>561592

Been a while since I used an offline render since I mainly use Substance and Unreal now, but last time I used Cycles, Vray and mental ray they did not have PBR shaders using the standard metal/roughness workflow. Hell, Vray didn't even have a GGX BRDF until last year I believe; the whole process of creating physically based materials was messy and convoluted, and in Cycles I had to create my own custom ubershader. I honestly have no idea if that's still the case. Arnold was similar but it at least had a free 3rd party PBR shaders pack based off of Renderman, but with this new update it doesn't seem to need those anymore since the software now comes with their own PBR ubershaders. Been trying this new version of Arnold for a couple of weeks now and it's extremely easy and minimalist, and super fast considering it is a CPU renderer, probably the best renderer overall to date, then again, I haven't touched other renderers in like 1-2 years so don't take my word for it.
>>
>>561029
>father of cycles
who is the mother?
>>
File: 1280px-Jim_Kajiya.jpg (141KB, 1280x850px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Jim_Kajiya.jpg
141KB, 1280x850px
>>561621
>>
>>561610
This is what I have to deal with at work, 3DS Max doesn't reflect game engine PBR materials. Makes things look completely different, not helpful.
>>
>>561630
hire a real TD kid
>>
Can anybody explain this to me in short, since I've been learning 3D only for a month:

Is this supposed to replace Vray? If so, is it still worth learning and mastering Vray?
>>
>>561668
vray is ded and buried tbqh
>>
>>561670
So what should I learn at this point? I actually don't know much about renderers, I thought Vray is still "the shit" now.
>>
>>561671
learn arnold 5
>>
>>561673
I'm just searching on their website - there isn't free student version of 3ds max 2018 yet. Does anybody know if it will even be available?
>>
>>561674
Shit, found it, nvm.
>>
>>561000
Cause he's a retard fanboy who's still waiting 10 minutes between each test render. Redshift hands down beats everything in terms of quality-speed.
>>
>tfw am about to install 3ds max 2018
>tfw all my grant warwick "mastering vray" tutorials are now probably obsolete
>tfw not much arnold tutorials available
>tfw my progress will slow down because of this and I just started learning how to create cool photorealistic materials

I hope warwicks' vids will still be useful, I guess the concepts are the same.
>>
>>561680
Fucking Autodesk, back to 2017 version and Vray until they fix their crashing shit.
>>
>>561680
Warwick videos are still relevant and they always will be. He uses physically based workflows, his techniques are compatible with any renderer. His first videos will have you fake out GGX but the newest ones use the most up to date version of vray that comes with GGX out of the box.
>>
>>561679
>Redshift hands down beats everything in terms of quality-speed.

When you have at your disposal literally tens of thousands of renderfarms, you care very little about speed, this is why most of Hollywood uses either Renderman or Arnold, they are the best renderers in terms of quality, flexibility and ease of use.
>>
>>561679
Redshift beats everything at speed but not at quality.
>>
File: 2] 1444.jpg (121KB, 500x800px) Image search: [Google]
2] 1444.jpg
121KB, 500x800px
Does anyone know how to use SSS in the new standard surface shader?
Does the weight need to be at 1? Is the color value for the subsurfaced area or the whole area in general?
>>
File: tex.jpg (80KB, 500x800px) Image search: [Google]
tex.jpg
80KB, 500x800px
>>
>>561897
>>561902
looks meh desu
>>
>>561631
Sure, tell the company that.
No budget for a TD to sit around.
>>
So do we have to wait on greyscalegorilla for a decent tutorial series for Arnold 5 or what?
>>
>>562612
Sure, wait for that idiot to explain to you how to render a cube.
>>
Will Arnold 5 come to Maya 2017 ?
>>
>>562720
no. It'll come stock with Maya 2018 which is due out any week now.
>>
Can one watch Octane tutorials and apply that to Arnold?
>>
>>562723
no, octane is dead and buried
>>
>>562724
no
>>
>>562721
More like September.

>>562723
No.

>>562724
Its not dead (yet). But why use it if you can use the superior Redshift.
>>
I downloaded it, does anyone know how to properly set up normal maps? I use a texture node and link it to a normal map node then put it in the normal input for the shader, but it makes the whole shader very dark.
>>
arnold 5 tutorials?
>>
>>561668
Vray and Arnold are competing. Both are good and both are being developed. There are great studios that use Arnold, great studios that use Vray and great studios that use Renderman. Learning Vray isn't wrong at all. Just translate your workflow if you need to switch.
>>
>>563150
That is exactly what you should do, and it should work. Check the settings of the normal map node.

>>563174
Try this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAx6GQxMYkU
>>
>>563222
Any good Arnold tutorial for 3ds max? I can use CGPeers too.
>>
3DS Max is still crashing, even after updating Nvidia drivers.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>563232
NVM, finally found a solution. If anyone gets the same problem - if you have FL Studio installed, delete ProAudio.dlc from stdplugins in 3ds max folder.
>>
>>563231

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kpXcQddXZU&t=2047s

This looks so much more logical in comparison to Vray. WTF I love Arnold now.
>>
>>560977
Wait until you see them animated and moving and you will realize that animation is still many years from looking real.
>>
>>563222
bretty guud, thanks senpai.
one can follow this in c4d
>>
>>563244
Arnold in C4d is awesome. Have fun with it.
>>
>>561119
bright lighting always fucks up CGI hard

the more they kept showing Tarkin the worst it got, like keep that fucker in dark parts of the set or blurry just out of vision why do they feel the need to put it right in your face or worse yet closeups you can tell right away
>>
It makes all sorts of semi-realistic plastics. Cool. I'm heading out to buy an high spec computer and a Cinema 4D license so I can make lots of plastic spheres.
>>
>>560979
Leave 3DCG to the big boys , noone wants your first day polygoning experience in the basement
>>
Why are there no tutorials or courses for Arnold with 3ds max2018? I literally can't learn it anywhere, not a single result on google, like it doesn't even exist. Only Maya and C4D.

I'm fucked because I can't find Vray for max 2018 either.
>>
>>564582
Watch the Maya tutorials, maxnigger. Besides a few superficial differences it's exactly the same.
>>
>being this slow of a renderer
Absolutely disgusting.
>>
fuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QT_Bvq5nE8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM9HwgitbqQ

how can I recreate those in Arnold?
>>
>>564677
Looks like Octane is made for displacement madness. Haven't seen a tutorial for Arnold though.
>>
>>564769
UDIM stuff.
>>
My arnold renders always look like shit. WTF
>>
>>565928
post it in a stupid questions thread or something and explain what you want it to look like
>>
arnold 5 question here.

Im new to this shading and rendering thing but Im confused about the changes on the ai standard shader on arnold 5.

It seems it has a metalness workflow now which is popular in the games industry but I'm used to the extended control of the traditional diffuse, specular, roughness, ior fresnel maps.
Is it safe to ignore the metalness slider and do everything by hand?

Second question is, if I do end up using the metalness it saysthat it will use the specular map to color the highlights of the material (for instance gold) but if the metalness map contains dielectrics on the black values where metalness is 0, can you still specify their specular color (in the limited range of shades of grey dielectrics reflect)?

I need to render things that look very real and the loss of control over the metals diffuse color and the dielectric speculars that happens on the metalness workflows in say, substance painter are somewhat limiting. But it seems like arnold 5 could still allow you to specify diffuse and specular color for both metals and non metals and use the metalness just for the IOR fresnel.
>>
>>566488
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eaACHDmdjw

Answered here. Metal part starts around 11-12 minutes.
>>
>>566488
look through solidangles documentation. I feel it's very good with picture examples.

https://support.solidangle.com/display/A5AFMUG/Standard+Surface

I had some trouble going from the specular/gloss to pbr, but it actually feels better once you get used to it.
>>
>>566490

I'm not sure what you mean. spec gloss is pbr, metalness roughness is a simplification where it assumes metals have black diffuse color and dielectrics have the same specular reflectance. And then uses a single albedo map for dielectric diffuse and metal specularity and a metalness mask to differentiate.
Both are pbr workflows, its just that diffuse, specular , roughness\gloss gives you more control and metalness is easier for games and memory.

Im just wondering if the metalness implementation in arnold actually allows for coloring metals diffuse color and non metal's specular color unlike in substance painter or a game engine where it just assumes metallic diffuse is 0 and non metallic diffuse is 4% gray.

I read the documentation and while it doesnt state this outright it seems that it is the case, it's more complex than the usual metalness workflow because it allows to fine tune the metals diffuse color and the non metal specular as well, but then again at that point I can just ignore the metalness slider completely and fine tune all maps.
>>
>>566489
>>566489

thank you it seems that arnold indeed allows to color the diffuse chanel of the metals when using metalness, that is already more control than you get in traditional metalness worflows.
Problem is Im not sure the substance painter shader supports that implementation of metalness. But Im new to all this so what do I know.
>>
>>566493
Substance Painter has an export-setting for Arnold. I don't know if the exporter is working for Arnold 5, but the recent version was supported and the textures/shaders looked nearly identical to UE4.
>>
>>564654
Arnold is one of the fastest if not the fastest CPU renderer. The guy who created it is basically a genius. Can't wait to see what its GPU version can do.
>>
>>566678
Yeah, but I guess not for a small user. My CPU is probably just too slow for it, I can render much faster with GPU (even though my CPU is supposed to be from a higher tier than my GPU, oh well).
>>
>>566678
If want to see a hybrid implementation where both the CPU and GPU handle tasks suited best for them, for instance sending GI to the GPU while the CPU handles geometry or something.

In any case, with AMD's new CPUs, this and other renderers will enter a new renaissance as every joe can now afford 16c/32t for possibly $1000. Preliminary testing shows this CPU to be bonkers in terms of speed, MORE than twice as fast as a 1700x in Blender, possibly due to quad-channel memory.

The server part will be available in 32c/64t configs on a 2P board, for 64c/128t on a single rack. If AMD maintains cutthroat pricing up into the enterprise it'll surely be something to witness.
>>
File: 1479059691638.gif (214KB, 300x232px) Image search: [Google]
1479059691638.gif
214KB, 300x232px
>>566687

Still, Redshift with pair of new mid / top tier cards will be faster in terms of machine render hours. It's insane how much faster Redshift. Arnold shines when you have renderfarm, one 16/32 cpu just won't
be enough.

Having said that I still SET nicer renders faster in Arnold, I prefer it more to Redshift, however it takes ages on my machine to render one frame, not to mention animation, while Redshift flies.
>>
>>566687
GPUs are very unsuited for tasks like GI
>>
>>561119
Pixar taught us that good=clean, and now we can't move on
>>
is that Huge Jackedman render using the ai standard shader SSS in arnold 5?
>>
>>566706
cycles
redshift
>>
File: gorilla.jpg (42KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
gorilla.jpg
42KB, 375x500px
>>560991
>>
still no c4d arnold 5 tutorials?
Thread posts: 105
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.