[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Framerate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

What framerate should I animate my characters for a game? I have been reading that game animations should be done at 30fps, but arent most games running at 60fps?

Am I misunderstanding something?
>>
>>560237
every game does it differently. You have to talk to your programmers
>>
The engine will just interpolate a frame between each in a 30fps animation to bring it to 60.
It hardly changes the animation. Animating in 60fps would be stupid and take forever.
>>
>>560243
>Animating in 60fps would be stupid and take forever.
No, it wouldnt take forever nor would it be stupid. In fact I've animated a character at 120 for an experiment. You get more detail and more space to work and the results look better on newer screens
>>
>>560243
Thanks anon
>>
>>560248
it doesn't take forever but it would take an unnecessary amount time for an indie dev.
>>
>>560237
because engines interpolate the motion to generate the necessary inbetweens, the framerate at which you animate doesn't matter. You could say the animation data itself is framerate-agnostic (and in all major 3d tools it really is). Since you're only setting the necessary keys you'll have some that are very far apart and some that are very close, but for game use it doesn't really make sens to use more than 60fps for your tools' settings, and even 30fps is plenty enough.
>>
>>560237
If you have the resources and time do it, if not go for 30, but it's stupid to do it like the other posters pointed. Either do all animations in 30fps or all in 60 fps, only camera panning and object movement should be 60, ie. a game dev should focus on delivering 60 fps.
>>
>>560237
Granted, it is a way older engine, but Halo 1 animations were all pretty choppy when running vsync 60fps, though it looked smooth and fine for it at a capped 30.

I guess my thought is, more of a good thing is never a bad thing, and I'd agree with >>560248 that it probably adds to subtleties in character movement when animating at such a framerate.

Granted, I don't know shit about animating, but this is just from general experience in older vs newer games.
>>
>>560479
> Animation data is framerate agnostic

This is not always the case. For example a fighting game may require a "hit" activation on an exact frame of an animation.

>>560239
This. It depends on the engine, and what the game will be doing with your animation data. You should make sure that it does look good in 60fps.
>>
>>560237
I'm not really an animator but "animating at 60fps" implies you are doing something in those extra frames. All 3D engines will simply interpolate the animation so it's not like your animations won't run at the current framerate anyway, if you animate at 30 and then the game runs at 120, interpolation will keep your animations looking the same.

What is meant by animating at 60 (or higher) is that you put in a lot of smaller detail. You can see your keyframes as information nodes, then you can see interpolation as drawing a straight line between keyframes. It will keep the whole thing looking like a continuous line, but there is no detail in-between these information nodes. It's like interpolating 30fps footage to 60fps, you're not adding more detail/information to it.

KF2 animated the guns at 60fps if I recall correctly, and it does indeed make a difference. 60fps allows you to put in smaller detail in your animations. Now, if it's worth it or not, it depends. Of course if you animate something at 120fps with every frame a keyframe you'll get insane detail in your animations, but it will also take you 4 times longer (probably more) to do so.
>>
File: 1487174787859.png (854KB, 1467x951px) Image search: [Google]
1487174787859.png
854KB, 1467x951px
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.