[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good Blender tutorial for total 3DCG newb

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: blender_face.png (222KB, 463x502px) Image search: [Google]
blender_face.png
222KB, 463x502px
Hey /3/,
Computer science guy here. I recently got an interest in Unity and other 3D game engines, but I understand I cannot work on a 3D game on my own without learning 3D modelling and animation.
On top of that, I don't have any artistic skills. I decided to learn Blender mainly because it's relatively light-weight and free and I'm looking to start with low-poly models, perhaps for a low-poly 3D game. After learning navigation in Blender, I tried to follow face modelling but most youtube tutorials go very fast, constantly using keyboard shortcuts without much explanation, making it impossible to follow.
e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO77Lgpv57U

So, I am looking for a step-by-step way to learn, explaining each step, and preferably covering face modelling at some point, since I will need it. Can be free or paid, but not too expensive, text or video.

I am also open to suggestions on other 3DCG tools if they'll offer significant advantages to a new guy and have a lot of support.

Thanks
>>
>>558122
> light-weight
Blender is far from light weight, baby.
I recommend Blender for Dummies. It'll teach you most of all the basics and advanced stuff. It's first few chapters focus on breaking down the layout and shows how to fiddle with all the windows.
>>
OP here, thinking of starting with this Udemy course: https://www.udemy.com/blendertutorial/learn/v4/overview

It's down to 10 euro from 195 and seems to be covering whatever I need, including face. I'll also have something to show for it.
Should I?
>>
>>558128
I tried Blender and pirated Maya as well as pirated 3DS Max. Blender seems more responsive and takes less space.

I will look at Blender for Dummies as well, thanks.
>>
>>558128
>Blender is far from light weight, baby.
Anon, he's using "light-weight" in the computer jargon sense to mean "minimally demanding of system resources"

Blender IS lightweight, compared to Autodesk products it has very low system requirements, runs on older hardware, and loads quickly (even on older hardware)

He didn't mean "light-weight" in the idiomatic sense of being weak

>>558134
>Should I?

I haven't taken that course, maybe it's good, but honestly I'd start off with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT5oZndzj68&index=1&list=PLjEaoINr3zgHs8uzT3yqe4iHGfkCmMJ0P

if you can get through it, then I'd download something off cgperia or cgpeers (sometimes these sites go down for like a day or two, just FYI) and see if you can do THAT before spending any money

Then again, if you can afford it, money is a good incentive to make you stick with it because you don't want to "waste that money" (even though it's 10 eurocoins or whatever)

Also, Andrew Price sometimes puts out videos that make use of his paid texture website (but includes the textures in the tutorial for free), so just be aware he DOES sometimes pimp his own stuff (which you don't need to buy and likely shouldn't anyway).
>>
>>558122
Start with the basics: watch Blender Guru and BornCG's beginner tutorials for Blender:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLda3VoSoc_TR7X7wfblBGiRz-bvhKpGkS

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjEaoINr3zgHs8uzT3yqe4iHGfkCmMJ0P

Blender Guru walks you through modeling a donut and coffee mug, explaining each step. BornCG has videos on how to use every important feature and rigging basic models.
>>
>>558154
> Blender seems more responsive and takes less space

Get yourself a machine that can handle real CG software instead of basing your decision on 10 minutes of fucking around in software you don't know anything about. Max if you are modeling and Maya if you are animating.
>>
>>558162
Thought there is no superior program for any one task and that everything depends on the skill of the user.
That's what the sticky says.
>>
>>558122
I'm learning too. It's really hard. I wish I could find a guide on good habits in topology though and the way people do things in quick ways.
>>
>>558183

And it's true. Don't listen to autistic experts on here, who don't know how to model a circular tube extureded from cube.

Go with whatever suits you the most. Obviously different programs have different toolsets, and thus software X might be better at Y than software Z (for example Zbrush, being one of the oldest sculpting programs out there and being focused mainly on sculpting, provides more complex sculpting tools than blender or Maya), but it's usually just matter of handful of features. You can make great stuff on Blender just like on any other commercial soft.

As for tutorials, I didn't read the whole therad so I don't know if you tried, but I guess you could check Darrin Lile and videos on Blendtuts. I don't remember if it features sculpting, but those videos teach you shortcuts and generally some basic features that you should know. When you get the basics, you will be able to expand your knowledge on how to do better just by watching those tuts that don't cover shortcuts, etc.
>>
>>558183
Sloppy illiteracy is setting you on a path of grave error. There is no "best" program. Each has strengths. The strength of Blender is that it's free, the UI is fast, and it has lots of good keyboard shortcuts by default.

But you can make sure you have a powerful computer, set up keyboard shortcuts, and pirate or use a student license. Compensating for the shortcomings. Then you will have a truly superior choice overall, you will be more productive and have more options in the future.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.