[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Andrew Price /our guy/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

File: Capture.jpg (103KB, 1274x716px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
103KB, 1274x716px
Is Andrew Price /our guy/?
>>
that looks like shit
>>
>I took an image an image and pressed generate normal map and the result is just as shit as expected
Am i missing something here? In what universe is a tile that bumpy, and grout convex?
I can achieve a better result by blending multiple normals generated with photoshop filters, in about 5 minutes.
>>
In the video he says that that method looks like shit, he ends up using a displacement map with adaptive subdivision and it looks very good.
>>
File: final2.jpg (2MB, 1782x1620px) Image search: [Google]
final2.jpg
2MB, 1782x1620px
>>556593
>>556604

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-quCLfoHbk

This is his newest video on how to make various tiles with some experimental Blender feature called geometry microdisplacement or something. The image in question appears earlier in the video where he exemplifies that, indeed, the method that most people use to make tiles is pretty pedestrian in that the various maps used during the texturing process don't take physical tile tilting into account.

I mean, you wouldn't do this for a game because the geometry level get silly pretty fast, but the results are pretty convincing for renders.
>>
Why bother with normal maps if it's not for a game? That would have looked good with a simple black and white bump map.
>>
>>556611
>tfw I use normal maps but honestly have no idea what the difference is between them and bump maps

I mean, I'm fine continuing working like this, but what is the advantage of a normal map? I know that other pros only ever use bump maps for very fine detail like micro-scratches.

I don't work on games btw.
>>
>>556618
Bump maps are 8-bit grayscale maps that convey very simple height information: black pushes into the surface, white pulls away from the surface. Normal maps are a more modern approach to this, combining three separate color channels into a single RGB file which tells the application how the surface normals are oriented, which allows for a more detailed shading of a surface.

Since neither of them displace geometry, both of them are essentially cheap optical illusions. That being said, if you can use a normal map, you should probably do so just because a normal map does what a bump map does but better, albeit slightly more expensively. Some situations don't require this map, such as when you're trying to convey very subtle surface detail along a distant surface, a bump map will serve you fine in these cases.

If you're into ultra spergy photorealistic rendering like our friend Andrew, you'll probably use bump, normal and displacement maps all together along with metallic, roughness, AO, and a million others, laughing about how other people have to worry about hardware constraints while you're rendering stuff from your RYZEN supertoaster sporting two Titan XP's.

Hope I could help.
>>
>>556593
>>556604
it's because there's a pepe in the video you fucking mongoloids
>>
>>556593
>>556604
>>556611
>>556621
>accuse Andrew of using a shit method
>the video is actually about a different method because the crazybump method is shit

You retards should actually watch the video before you talk about it instead of making guesses based on a single out of context image.

Fortunately this is an anonymous cantonese bulletin board service, so it doesn't matter, but in the real world if you were to do this, you'd make a fucking ass of yourself.
>>
>>556630
its the same crap, andrew endorses some company in his video like he always does.

in blender you can bake normal from displacement node in cycles.
>>
>>556621
Why are displacement maps still greyscale? Why can't something similar to a normal map be used or created?
>>
>>556676
What you're thinking of is Vector Displacement.

https://renderman.pixar.com/view/vector-displacements
http://docs.pixologic.com/user-guide/3d-modeling/exporting-your-model/vector-displacement-maps/
>>
>>556630
God I can imagine a /3/ meetup at SIGGRAPH or something. Autistic sperging and calling everyone's papers shit.
>>
>>556678
Oh that's neat!
>>
>>556630
Not sure why you think I'm accusing Andrew of using a shit method. I've watched the video twice prior to this, and my answer to the anon who asked the normal vs bump question is completely unrelated to it.
>>
>>556578

Andew price is a hack.

Most people would move on from Blender and pick up Maya, Max or Modo.

Instead he just producing garbage everyday with blender and photoshop stuff.

I cannot believe people follow his advice. He should pick up substance instead messing around with this garbage.

Saying thanks to Andrew Price a few idiot artist are kept out of the industry because they listen to him.
>>
>>556710
>BLENDER SUCKS WAAAH
>>
>>556694
Your answer was good, but I took umbrage at your assertion that it's "spergy" to use basic maps and textures for archviz

>>556681
Someone will literally post a master work (whether 3d, 2d, book, film, music, whatever) and someone on 4chan will say "it's shit"
>>
I like it when he puts out a tutorial filled with bullshit, gets called out by people who know what they are talking about and has to post a new one with updated and correct content.
>>
>>556861
Everyone should do this, there are too many stubborn smart people that don't want to look dumb.
>>
>>556861
Well, isn't that a good thing? Better to leave the bullshit on the table.
>>
>>556861
i actually like his tutorials about color,photography and composition. he has his theory down.
but he makes blender artists dependent on HIM, which is not good
>>
>>556904
>he makes blender artists dependent on HIM
How so?
>>
>>556907
Poliigon mostly, his artists create materials in designer to lure blender users.
not saying cycles can do the same shit designer does, but you can close with some guidance and some patience.
also in his tutorials he promotes downloading textures his team made, so you can only complete the tutorials if you download them
>>
>>556908
He provides the textures and nodes he uses in his tutorials for free in the video descriptions. As for shilling poliigon on every video now, well the man has to sell his fish somehow or else, people wouldn't really have a reason to use that over cgtextures.

And I mean, the guy apparently hires pro photographers to make the textures for him so the stuff is at least guaranteed to be of pretty good quality.
>>
>>556911
He has no morals. He's all about selling this, selling that. He doesnt even use GIMP - he uses fucking evil $$$ photo$hop
>>
>>556912
Australians have been known to value pragmatism
>>
File: Capture.jpg (193KB, 1309x657px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
193KB, 1309x657px
>>556912
Differentfag here.
I don't care much about him shilling his stuff. He is a business man after all. I think I remember him stating that he went to school for a business major or something. HOWEVER, some of the products he makes (pro lighting skies/studio) are only geared towards Cycles users which is a bad decision not because >Cycles shitposting, but because it limits your buyers and to me it says that he only cares about Cycles users. For example I downloaded the pro lighting skies demo and it came with a file that had the .exr files in it. I tried to use them in another renderer and they just don't work (pic related is what I get) but they work just fine in Cycles.

Secondly I do agree that most of his tutorials that have came out recently are practically just advertisements for his products. Which I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't something that was already covered in an older tutorial.

Also what's wrong with him using Photoshop?
>>
>>556949
>Also what's wrong with him using Photoshop?
absolutely no point in using paid software and then ranting about how good free software is. Gimp is perfectly viable
>>
>>556950
>no point in using paid software and then ranting about how good free software is
Good point I guess.
>>
>>556949
actually cycles material vault looks really good. it comes with materials that rico made over the years
>>
>>556950
>Gimp is perfectly viable
when are we getting basic shit like adjustment layers anyway, or smart objects
>>
>>556968
>smart objects
adobe marketing at its finest
>>
>>556966
I didn't say anything about Cycles's materials. That's a different argument on its own.
>>
Just use Krita, she's way cuter than Wilber will ever be and photoshop doesn't even have a mascot.

https://sketchfab.com/models/3d07464889c14124883c3fe75f3a6640

We all know software worth is measured in mascots, don't lie to yourselves.
>>
>>557003
*Kiki's way cuter
>>
>>557003
This, also Krita and blender are used to make the best and cutest free as in freedom webcomic.

http://www.davidrevoy.com/article305/tons-of-potions-part-1-3d
>>
>>556593

Another day on /3/ another unemployed person calling paid work shit.
>>
>>556578
dam id love to be paid to just make textures all day

i know its so time consuming but i enjoy it a lot
>>
>>556609
amazing for arch viz
>>
>>556950
>paying for ps when you can pirate
>>
File: 1426100021505.jpg (9KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1426100021505.jpg
9KB, 250x250px
>>557258
>Pirating
>>
File: 1489997723628.jpg (1MB, 1782x1620px) Image search: [Google]
1489997723628.jpg
1MB, 1782x1620px
>>556609

what a piece of shit
>>
>>557288
What am I supposed to see here?
>>
>>557289
Oh no, a slightly bent seat.

Oh no, I don't like depth of field effects.
>>
>>556627
back to /pol/ with you
>>
>>557288
Yeah the tuts on the tile effect, but you bitch about two pointless other things. Doesn't provide evidence that you can do better. YOU'RE the piece of shit.
>>
>>557504

doesn't matter, it's shit. he was too lazy to at least fix it post-prod. gets all relaxed, and then other standards begin to fall
>>
>>557477
>pepe is only for /pol/
>muh alt-right mascot

Nice try, Hillary.
>>
>>557288
Have you ever considered that maybe, just maybe, it's supposed to look like that?
>>
>>558097
>>557329
The wooden beams under the seat aren't aligned, fools.
>>
>>558102
They're aligned to the feet on the sides. The wooden beams themselves could just be an irregular shape, something like a trapezoid, that look like it's only aligned to the feet but actually touches and is nailed to the seat as well.

Regardless, your levels of sperg are unacceptable. I'm afraid you're going to have to go out, take a walk, and learn not to worry about mindless, inconsequential things that the human eye likes to simplify. When you come back, write me a 500-word essay on how it's bad to be a sperg.
>>
>>556837
So true. People on here call professional work shit all the time. Boggles my mind. I'd say if you are an artist produce what you want and if people like good. If not who cares.
>>
>>556950
GIMP is great but doesn't touch Photoshop.ive used both and if I have to choose PS easily wins.
>>
>>558102
Lol. I went to college for 3d. We had a teacher who would take points off your grade if he thought the thing you modeled looked incorrect even if you had it spot on to the reference. Are you him?
>>
>>558328
It's just psychological terror to make new people break their motivation thinking they'll never make it, as to dry out the currently saturated pool of 3d artists.
>>
>>558328
>people on here call professional work shit all the time. Boggles my mind
theres a lot of professional work thats shit. Like Biowares newest game
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.