[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

convince me to change careers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: roof joists.jpg (1MB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
roof joists.jpg
1MB, 2048x2048px
>get b.arch in 2015
>minors in art history and 3D media
>had one job with an architect that lasted literally 4 days
>currently work part time at a hardware store
>can't get architecture jobs because i'm too aspie or something idk
>wanted to make games since I was 14

I've spent the last year teaching myself to use ue. In the last week I've realized that I kind of know what i'm doing now. I originally picked it up thinking I would use it for vr in an architecture firm, but now all I want to do is make it in the games industry. Is it possible to switch? Do I need to self-publish an indie game first? Do I need to be a top tier modeler with a mind blowing portfolio? Do I just need to kiss ass and get lucky to get a job in the industry? -- note i'm aiming for a

..all of the above? I want a job that makes decent pay with good security that doesn't make me want to kms every day. Opinions?
>>
i'm aiming for a job with someone like double fine or squanchtendo... so more on the indie/ experimental side of things. Environment artist jobs seem tedious to me with all the uv mapping n shit. I'd like to do level design, but I'm just learning to program.
>>
>>556116
The render you posted is not very good. But do you really want to change careers and become some shit head cubicle monkey for the rest of your days? Fuck it man, just keep trying and do what you enjoy. Success is a make believe capitalist bullshit word.
>>
File: cubeviews8.png (308KB, 1185x907px) Image search: [Google]
cubeviews8.png
308KB, 1185x907px
>>556118
so you're saying keep the job at the hardware store? the only jobs in architecture are cad monkeys, but architects have to wear ties.
>>
>>556116

Yes, you need a very good portfolio. If you want to be a modeler, publishing prior games does not make a difference in your case, a god-tier modeler will get a job just because big companies will want the god tier modelers on board as opportunity hires.

If you want to be a director, that's a whole 'nother story. Strap in to work as a grunt for the next five to ten years of your life, get a one in a lifetime chance to show your ideas to the higher-ups *and* have a proof-of-concept ready. Make the company a profit and they will entrust you with future jobs.

OR you could be indie, make the game you want to make, and if it works out in the end or not, it doesn't matter, because you made the game you wanted to play in the end (usually this leads to multi-millionaire success stories like Cave Story, Stardew Valley, Undertale). This does mean holding a menial job for around four to five years of your life while you're also spending most of your free time working on your game, but if you want to make videogames, I could think of worse fates.
>>
>>556130
>usually leads to multi-millionaire success stories
hahahaha
>>
>>556134
https://steamspy.com/app/413150
https://steamspy.com/app/391540
https://steamspy.com/app/200900

Do the very basic amount sold times price math and you'll see that, even if steam took a cut of more than a million dollars, these guys are still millionaires at the end of the day, with the exception of pixel since nicalis probably benefited the most from the publishing deal. Minecraft is another one with humble beginnings, stupidly lucrative ends.
>>
>>556116
Is that your idea of architecture?
And of course you're gonna be a CAD monkey with nothing but a B.Sc.

>>556150
>4 examples out of a billion indie games
>what are taxes?
>what are development costs?

>>556118
>Success is a make believe capitalist bullshit word.
Success is a natural concept. Organisms have to sustain their lifes through their actions. If they don't succeed, they die.
Read some Ayn Rand.
>>
>I want a job that makes decent pay with good security that doesn't make me want to kms every day
>decent pay with good security
3D does not have this.
change careers to something stable and do 3D as a hobby.
>>
>>556159
>what are taxes?
>what are development costs?

Mate, are you deaf? These were unaffiliated indie devs working from the equivalent of mom's basement. They were probably making around 50k a year, tops. They didn't pay even 1% of what they made overall in taxes and development costs.

And yeah, there's no guarantee it'll work out. But my point was, you either develop a killer portfolio, get picked up by a studio and get a chance to be the director of a game years to come, or you turn yourself into your own director and do what you feel like doing now, with the sacrifice of having to work a menial job while you're at it.
>>
File: MR render1.jpg (166KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
MR render1.jpg
166KB, 1920x1080px
>>556130
>This does mean holding a menial job for around four to five years of your life while you're also spending most of your free time working on your game

Is this the time frame I should expect to become decent at this stuff?

40 hours/week x 250 weeks = 10000 hours

250 weeks = 4.8 years

yeah. if I can commit 40 hours a week to it, by the time i'm 30 I can expect to get something tangible. that kinda sucks.
>>
>>556121
>so you're saying keep the job at the hardware store? the only jobs in architecture are cad monkeys, but architects have to wear ties
I'm saying do what you enjoy. Try not to worry about anything more than that.
>>
>>556121
My opinion: Come up with a budget for paying your bills and basic living expenses and cut out every single expense beyond that, then figure out how many hours you need to work at the hardware store to balance that budget. Tell your boss at the hardware store that you're limiting your availability to that amount of hours.

Time is money, but money is also time, and if you're spending money on stupid shit you don't need then you have less time to work toward your goals. If you still have your basic needs met, though, that gives you some room to breathe and takes away a lot of the anxiety and stress of building your future.

gl bro
>>
>>556428
to expand upon that last post a bit: I used to work full time. Hated it, couldn't get anything done, felt like my life was moving backwards. So I took the tactic I described above: I sold my car, I cancelled my cell phone service, cancelled my gym membership and started working out at home, I stopped eating out, I started buying all of my food from Aldi (discount grocery store with all generic shit), and I cut my availability at work down to two days per week

Now I have zero debt and I'm actually saving up money while I'm working toward my dreams. I feel 100x better about everything, so much freer and happier and more optimistic about the future.

You need money to survive, obviously, but don't let idle materialism dictate your future or even your present. You have more control over your fate than you realize.
>>
File: 1480455960907.jpg (55KB, 276x276px) Image search: [Google]
1480455960907.jpg
55KB, 276x276px
>>556430
>cancelled my gym membership
>following your dreams, the ultimate gainz goblin
/fit/ help this man see the light
>>
>>556432
My gainz have actually improved since I quit the gym. Got a free set of free weights off a friend, and I got a cheap power tower off of Craigslist. Still work out two or three times a week

5'10" (manlet ;-;), was about 140lbs before I started going to the gym, hit about 160 and plateaued for at least a year before I quit. Up to 175 now.

(sorry for going off topic)
>>
>>556116
Start working on mods for games like Skyrim and publish on the Steam Workshop.
It'll give you experience in modelling, rigging, animation, scripting and working within an already established framework, which is exactly what you'd be doing at a large company.
Also it gives you free public exposure.

Unless you have a vision for making an indie game, don't bother. It'll end up as shovelware like 99% of all indie titles.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.