[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Normal Maps and Groves

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: thisone.png (83KB, 1364x885px) Image search: [Google]
thisone.png
83KB, 1364x885px
I'm working on making a normal map for a spaceship and am looking for some answers (I'm new to modeling)

From what I understand a normal map is for faking the lighting effects from a high poly model onto a low poly model. Does that mean if you simply use the high poly model in (say a game) then it doesn't need a normal map?

Also as shown in my picture I'm trying to create these groves to make patterns on the surface. I'm using blender and right now I'm using the bevel tool to create multiple parallel lines and then simply sinking in the middle by translating it. But this makes it hard because I have to change the mesh of the hull manually. Is there a tool to simply draw these groves (like a line tool) and have the new vertices append automatically?
>>
knife tool.

if you want to have all of them connected you can either use grid fill (if its hollow) or triangulate if you have n-gons
>>
>>555618
Cool thats much better thanks!

Anyone as to my question about normals?
>>
>>555628
you have to do retopology in order to get a normal map
>>
>>555617
>Does that mean if you simply use the high poly model in (say a game) then it doesn't need a normal map?

Yes, but the whole point of a "low poly" model with "high poly" details (achieved by Baking textures, normals, and so on from the high poly model) is that it's less memory intensive.

That's true for game engines (that have to display many models, textures, lights, and do computations in real time) and also for your renderer; the more dense your mesh, the higher the resolution on the textures, the more objects in the scene, the longer your render will take longer

>>555631
>you have to do retopology in order to get a normal map

You need to do the UVs for the bake target, but you don't need to retopologize (a process done on the high poly to create a low poly, or to fix / allow for animation of a mesh) anything.

You do, however, need some supporting geometry in your low poly (in particular you often need verts to line up) for the best possible result
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.