[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm currently in 1st year at my animation college and I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: Pineapple.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Pineapple.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
I'm currently in 1st year at my animation college and I need to render some sort of "semi realistic fruit" with sub surface scattering, lighting and such (the full works). I've decided to do a pineapple, because I feel I can have some fun with the little hairy protrusions at the tip of the spiked segments - and they look rather interesting when sliced.

Here's what I've got so far (work in progress, I know it looks kinda bad at the moment), any C&C WELCOME! I'm pretty experienced with modelling in blender, what's wrong with my pinpaple?

Thanks all, software used:

Maya, V-ray, Mari.
>>
you are not going to make it.

I'm not trolling you.

Best to drop out now and change careers
>>
im not going to say you should drop out but given the level of quality it is honestly hard to tell if this is a parody or not.

if you cant look at this and see why this is not like a real pineapple i dont know how to help you. asking HOW to fix something is fine. asking WHY its wrong without seeing the flaws yourself show a serious lack of analyzing skill.
>>
>>555441
>>555440
kys
>>
Have you seen a real pineapple before?

You know they don't come hollowed out, right?
>>
>pinpaple

well, see, there is your problem.
>>
>>555432
Little work needed on the curvature of the leaves at the top but other than that good work, keep it up!
>>
>>555432
"Software used: Mari" GTFO with this baiting you fuckwit
>>
>>555442

bit rude senpai
>>
>>555443
>You know they don't come hollowed out, right?

Came here to post this, and yet somehow this isn't even the biggest issue with the model.
>>
>>555432
Looking at your pineapple makes me forget what a real pineapple looks like.
>>
I think the real problem is the lack of juice when the pineapple is being cut. Other than that, it looks pretty good to me
>>
>>555466

No, I feel like the inside of the pineapple lacks detail. But yea, looks good
>>
>>555432
7/10 pineapples, could be 8/10 with tonemapping.
>>
File: Pineapple.jpg (126KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
Pineapple.jpg
126KB, 1200x900px
>>555432
>looks kinda bad
Looks worse than kinda bad.

Honestly, Have you even seen what a pineapple looks like? I don't even know where to begin on what is wrong with it.
The only thing you got partly right is that it's a semi capsule shape.
>>
>>555470
I don't know where to begin either, but I can say, for sure that you are a retard which is giving some advices and references about 3d/cg..... is his pineapple's anatomy right anon?

go to f-ng doctor not on 3
>>
its fine, just tell the teacher its your style
>>
looks like shit desu
>>
>>555473
put down the bong
>>
I wish you would all stop replying to this troll, it is so fucking obvious this isn't a real attempt.

You all are so pushy to feel better about yourselves lmao
>>
Step 1: install Blender
Step 2: kill yourself
>>
Well, since OP is a fag, I thought I'd try my own hand at making a pineapple for fun.

Then I realized that putting in all the leaves on top would be way too much effort for a thread like this.

So, here you go. A pineapple without leaves.
>>
>>555492
As bad as OP, literally just a pill shape with a texture. Kys
>>
>>555432
This is like some Andy Kaufman tier 3d parody; even though I know it's a joke, it still genuinely makes me uncomfortable

>>555492
>Then I realized that putting in all the leaves on top would be way too much effort for a thread like this.

That's the sort of thing you do with modifiers or a particle system
>>
>>555492
>i can do stuff that isn't shit trust me
>>
what college, OP?

I'm looking into 3d animation colleges and it would be nice to know which ones to avoid.
>>
>>555432
This make me depressed... sorry kid but get a real job. 3D isn't for you
>>
>>555527
top kek
go homeschooling or ask someone already in the industry who is not on /3/
>>
File: Q2GbOIl.png (48KB, 190x200px) Image search: [Google]
Q2GbOIl.png
48KB, 190x200px
>>555432
>>
>>555509
Wow OP, rude. I at least deformed my capsule a bit, unlike you.

It's okay though, you didn't put much effort into yours so I put in an equivalent amount of effort into mine. It's only fair.
>>
File: CaveRock2.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
CaveRock2.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
OP here, I've been monitoring the thread and I've decided to start again, been working on this since yesterday - again C&C welcome.

>>555441
I see what you're saying, I was mainly asking about lighting and shading as I feel that can be half the battle with 3d work.
>>555466
I will consider this.
>>555470
thanks for the reference photo, I've been struggling to find any - I used this picture to model my model.
>>555492
Cool pineapple! that's awesome, how did you get that effect?
>>555615
this was not me.
>>
>>555637
>cool pineapple !
implying that it is shit
>>
>>555637
I'll try too when I won't forget it
>>
>>555637
- Get done modelling your mesh, UV it (try not to leave any obvious seams), export .fbx
- Google pineapple tiling texture, pick one you like
- Open your image in pixlr dot com or photoshop, reduce image saturation until it's black and white, then hit ctrl+i to invert the colors
- Go into Levels and fiddle with the sliders, try to make your darks darker, and your whites whiter
- Save your image, open Substance Painter 2
- import .fbx, PBR workflow, import the tiling texture as an alpha for your session
- Delete initial layer, create folder, add black mask to folder, hit 4 while you have the mask selected and drag a box over the whole mesh
- Create fill layer inside of folder, pick the color of your pineapple
- Duplicate fill layer, choose the color of the texture, add a black mask to the duplicated layer, right click on the black mask square and select "add fill"
- Under "Properties - Fill" window on the new tab, click the "grayscale - uniform color button", type in the name you gave to the texture and apply it
- Your texture will probably be blown up, play with the UV scale under the fill properties until it looks proportional to what you want
- Go into the color tab of your fill layer and play with the height and roughness sliders until you're happy with your normal map
- Export that shit straight into Sketchfab so everyone knows how much you love stupid-looking fruit

It ain't no high-poly mesh or smart material, but it's cheap and effective from a distance.
>>
>>555637
Also, I apologize for calling you a fag my goony friend, but you are one of those people who have a thing for pineapples and I can't respect you because of that. It's not you, it's me.

Good luck with your dumb school assignment!
>>
>>555637
i guess it's better than the op. i think you may just leave ratboy tier yet!
>>
>>555637
>big fucking bite through the skin, pinapple is still god damn hollow

Whelp we have been had.
>>
>>555637
I know this is bait now but its still pretty funny

>I couldn't find any reference photos of a pineapple
>>
>>555660
You are the real mvp
>>
>>555637
I'm glad you finally got Mari working anon gg
>>
I've never even heard of Mari until now.
>>
>>555823
Mari is useful for situations where a single asset may require dozens of seamless 32k texture maps, such as this quality pnapp
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.