[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, i decided on building a new pc for 3DS Max 2016. I made all

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: 51xql2lzYgL._SY300_.jpg (14KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
51xql2lzYgL._SY300_.jpg
14KB, 300x300px
So, i decided on building a new pc for 3DS Max 2016. I made all the component decisions except the one that ties them all together: the mobo.

My goal is shortest final render times on a generally capable PC. Games will be played, but nothing hardcore. I decided on the 10 core i7 6950x. I know its not really worth its cost in most situations, but it'll give me the best render times without moving into a xeon. I want it for the core/thread count and the 40 PCIe lanes. I plan on using an M.2 x4 drive for booting plus want to leave my options open to dual x16 gpu's.

My request for input is mobo suggestions. Its gotta be x99 with an M.2 slot. But everything else is up for grabs. I may OC a little, but not hardcore or water cooled. So many options out there, so many pluses and minuses. I used to be an ASUS fan, but I've been looking as ASRock. I heard MSI and Gigabyte were having quality issues.

Any input, good or bad about suggestions would be appreciated. Tell me to stay away from bad ones or praise the good ones.

Thanks, all, for your time!
>>
Go ryzen
>>
motherboard don't really have impact on performance. but you want something reliable and well built. id say go either with MSI or ASUS. gigabyte is an option too with their ultradurable feature
>>
>>555108
Wrong. If OP says render times are priority #1, then 6950x will give quicker renders than any AMD, even their flagship 1800x.
>>
>>555114
at 2x the price for 10% the perf increase
>>
>>555115
It's more than 2x the price if you include the platform, i.e. the motherboard, which is going to run $500 for a decent one. There are basically no good and cheap x99 motherboards.

But you get more features than with Ryzen, like more PCI-E lanes and better performing SATA
>>
In my experience, rendering animations isn't really viable on a single CPU, unless you are doing the most basic stuff. At work we have about 13 single processor "nodes" total, all various vintages of i7 processors. It still takes weeks to render a couple of minutes of animation. A single 6950x isn't going to do better than that.

So if your main concern is render times I'd say focus on your graphics card and just go full on GPU rendering. In that case you'd still want as many PCIe lanes on the processor as possible, but you can get away with a 6850k which is considerable cheaper.

That's my plan for an upgrade anyways. Personally I don't think a "workstation" chip with less than 40 PCIe lanes is acceptable, so I wouldn't consider Ryzen. The Naples stuff looks really interesting though. Since I won't be updating for a while yet I might wait and see if we see any proper high-end chips from AMD.
>>
>>555152
no one here is rendering for hollywood on a single cpu you fucking idiot
>>
I can't comment on MOBO for rendering, I know it has zero impact of preformance. But. What I do know is you don't buy shitty gaming/common CPUs/GPUs/Mobos from ASUS, MSI etc... They are made for gamers and people who think glowing lights increase preformance.

I went here type "Boxx" on google search ( Forget links can get me unable to post. )

No... They are not cheap, they don't have all options you could want.

But I got myself a dual CPU model a few years ago. And barebones everything else and added my own parts. It cost me less than what they offered but it proved used for maya.

Now, that I moved away from maya as I found blender to be 100times better to work with, faster ( for me your mileage will vary. ) I'm currently saving up for another boxx PC. This time I called them and discovered I can pretty much order anything they don't list on their website while having some coverage for everything. And they extent coverage when you are nearing the end.

As an indiviual, I found this extremely useful. Cause although, I can build muh super glowing lights gaming PC. ( I don't game anymore. ) I found it a tad more complex to build a true quality work station PC. It cost about the game on average for me anyway, a few hundred dollars more, than if I let a company that makes this shit 24/7 make them for me. Easy choice, but till you need to drop the cash.

And yeah, dual CPU > single CPU ... Xenon-type of CPU > Gamer shit.

And you can render full scale animations on a single PC takes a while but not as bad as that amateur is claiming. You could also google render farms and rent one. Makes more sense than building/buying dozens of PCs to render faster.
>>
>>555152
Ummm... he said 3ds max... GPU rendering? Get a better GPU? I believe MAX rendering is CPU based, a better GPU will only help with workspace viewports. Bad advixe from someone who doesn't know what he's talking about.
>>
>>555132
>>555132
No AMD processor has more PCIE lanes than the 40 lanes of the 6950x, fool.

If the 10% INCREASE is what the OP wants, 6950x will be overall faster than the 1800x.
>>
>>555157
Are you retarded? I just said x99 has more PCI-E lanes and better SATA than Ryzen. Kill yourself you illiterate faggot
>>
>>555052
OP here.

I'm sticking with 3DS Max because I've been using 3DS since R4 for DOS on a 486. I can appreciate what Blender has to offer, especially with Autodesk greedy changes as of late, but I'm sticking with it out of familiarity. 3D is my hobby, my serenity. I can have a bad day, and instead of going home and beating my wife, I 3d model. But render times piss me off, so dropping those is best for my personal use overall.

This will be my main pc, so i want it to be able do do a little of everything. If xeons weren't generally slower clock speeds per core, i may have considered them, but i7 is a nice intermediate. Most games i play are fairly simple, Civ VI, CoD, and maybe even WoW with the wife, so running the 6950x at 4.0 Ghz will be fine, especially once the DX12 bugs are smoothed out. I rip and compress a lot with handbrake to put kids movies on my toddler son's tablet, so the cores help there too.

So my mind is made up on the 6950x. Thanks for suggesting the AMD to save the money, but i can afford it, so the boost to render times is worth it to me.

I agree that mobos are not critical for this build. Its more about reliability and stability and options. I know some of them have better creative labs sound integrated instead of realtech, some have more USB 3.0 ports, etc... thats all i was looking for here... someone to say "I got mobo x and i wish it had more usb ports, so stay away from it." Or maybe "I'm on my second MSI mobo replacement and I'm still dealing with tech support, so stay away from them."

I really appreciate the input guys. Even the trolls and haters.
>>
>>555152
>rendering animation on CPU

Redshift, you ever heard of it?
>>
>>556297
Reading is hard, isn't it?
>>
>>555109
If all my 20years of building pcs Gigabyte has been the most robust and reliable brand out there asus, and msi have both been duds usually mot lasting until the end of their useful life. I have 2 pcs that use gigabyte mobos one is 7 the other 10 years old never had a busted capacitor or failure with them. I do have them behind a battery back up. I seldom or use very little oc.
>>
For everyone claiming that they are VFX artist across the board you guys are seriously tech illiterate.
Jesus Christ.
>>
>>556729
Can confirm, the aluminum on mine is completely corroded by sea air, and it still runs like a dream.
>>
>>555161
The 6950X will be good. I bought a 5960X last year and it's pretty incredible. I just rendered a 90s full CG commercial on it during nights between work days. It worked well.
>>
>>555161
OP, go look for used xeon chips on eBay. For the cost of that 10 core i7 you can get a new fucking dual socket board and 2x 8 core procs.
>>
>>556729
Thank you. This is EXACTLY the type of advise I was asking for. Opinions and biases are nice, we all got them... but this reference to actual experience is why i started this thread.
>>
Just for the slightly new program... Wtaf. Not even a Xeon... Why? Why even bother...
>>
>>556735
I'm a software developer. Many of the people I've worked with can barely troubleshoot the quirks they have with OSX and needed help. They're still mostly intelligent people who are good at their jobs.

There's a reason why a more general tech support exists even at tech companies.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.